Notices

Sunday Globe Hockey Column

Old
04-29-2012, 10:50 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Sunday Globe Hockey Column

Now this is a hockey column- the soap box on hockey violence has been put away (or hopefully bought at the Dupont April yard sale for a dollar along with a Garth Butcher Canucks penatly leader hockey card from the 80's) for atleast a week.

just one word about the concern over hockey violence- punishment works, discipline works- if Matt Cooke can change for atleast one year likely anyone can...the game is great but it needs a good tweak not radical overhaul. I like a good hockey fight in the flow of the game, or a great body check that is not intended to do anything but blow up a guy- it can work but like the real world there has to be solid leadership, rules, and defined punishement that will curtail 'most' incidents.

and speaking of tweaking- Peter Chiarelli's comments on future of the Bruins seems that is the way they will proceed building the roster; I can't say I disagree.

Tim Thomas future was front and center in your article and makes alot of sense why he should and will be back for one more year; I don't believe Chiarelli's comments will be reversed ala Dave Lewis- who received a vote of confidence one week and a card board box the next. Thomas should be highly motivated and poised to once again prove any critics wrong- this can only be a good thing, and for one year the Bruins should be able to absorb a goalie cap hit of about $8-9 Mil.

I do disagree with your assessment that Rich Peverley is more valuable than Chris Kelly. He may be more offensively gifted but Kelly has enough tools in the shed to overcome any offensive shortcomings, and unlike some of his more heralded and highly paid teammates shows up every game.

Lastly, did not know that about Gates Orlando- horrible, and hope he is ok; he's been a scout the past few years which reminds me- you forgot in your blurb about Seguin and Hamilton being the return for Kessel; the third guy, Jared Knight, might just happen to be a favorite of Gates. Gates Orlando is a scout for the Devils and may like Knight more than me This guy is pretty sharp and was a fantastic college player. He;s got a keen eye for talent witness Adam Henrique.

good article and hockey season is far from dead- lot of great games, and feels weird watching Rangers and Flyers involvement and finding myself rooting for these two.

Last edited by DKH: 04-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.
DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:58 AM
misterjaggers

Here's the link
(For access, you may need to agree to a free trial.)

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Here's the link
(For access, you may need to agree to a free trial.)
thanks mj....forgot something....have a great one bud

Old
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Shadowthrone
Harken the Hammer

"Glue guy Ryan Kesler before his no-trade clause kicks in July 1. There would be a long line of takers for Kesler, the gritty American center who will turn 28 just before the start of training camp."

That's rich

Shadowthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowthrone View Post
"Glue guy Ryan Kesler before his no-trade clause kicks in July 1. There would be a long line of takers for Kesler, the gritty American center who will turn 28 just before the start of training camp."

That's rich
Burke drafted him and I can only imagine what the 'scale' would have on each side from Leafs fans to get a Kesler-Luongo deal to Toronto. (I'm not sure Kessel is soft enough to play for Vancouver though)

Old
04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowthrone View Post

That's rich
Sure he flops, but he plays s physical game.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Ratty

For once I agree with Dupont. If the NHL doesn't do anything to curb the violence and increase in concussions and career ending injuries, the NHLPA has got to police its own membership.

No one is against good solid body checking. Its part of the game. Its the launching of body to head or stick to the face that has to be stopped. Hockey is the greatest sport on earth. If you can't appreciate great skating ala Seguin and Kreider, skilled stickhandling, precision passing, and indeed, good body work, you don't appreciate the game.

C'mon, Bettman and Fehr. Change this game for the better before any more stars or lesser players have their careers ruined.

Speaking of the Globe articles, I couldn't help but notice the quote on Kerry Fraser who opined that rule 69.1, I believe, was violated in the winning Washington goal by impairing the goaltender.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Sure he flops, but he plays s physical game.
Agreed. One way page I'm told not to dismiss everything Marchand does, but yet we should do it with Kesler.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
sarge88

I truly hope they revamp the powerplay - I mean total renovation.

I know it won't be popular but I think putting Chara in front of the net is definitely worth a good, very long look.

Granted he has a huge shot but when I look at the better powerplays in the league, it seems that they move the puck faster around the perimeter, which isn't one of Z's best attributes.

It isn't his fault, it's just that his size doesn't allow him to move the puck rapidly.

Clearly just pining for what we don't have here and maybe putting too much stock in an unproven, but if Krug is able to make the team, I wonder how powerplay of;

Krug - Peverly -- at the points

and

Bergeron - Krejci - Chara --up front would do.

I like the way Peverly moves the puck from the right point and all indications are that Krug is in the Letang/Rafalski (of old) mode and I think it's worth a look.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I truly hope they revamp the powerplay - I mean total renovation.

I know it won't be popular but I think putting Chara in front of the net is definitely worth a good, very long look.

Granted he has a huge shot but when I look at the better powerplays in the league, it seems that they move the puck faster around the perimeter, which isn't one of Z's best attributes.

It isn't his fault, it's just that his size doesn't allow him to move the puck rapidly.

Clearly just pining for what we don't have here and maybe putting too much stock in an unproven, but if Krug is able to make the team, I wonder how powerplay of;

Krug - Peverly -- at the points

and

Bergeron - Krejci - Chara --up front would do.

I like the way Peverly moves the puck from the right point and all indications are that Krug is in the Letang/Rafalski (of old) mode and I think it's worth a look.
Would be a terrific thing if he turned in even 80% of Rafalski's output.

They have some similarties:

1) Size
2) NCAA Dmen
3) Undrafted
4) PMD
5) Suburban Detroit players (Rafalski - Downriver; Krug - Livonia, same city as Kesler
Moss, Max Iafrate)

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
For once I agree with Dupont. If the NHL doesn't do anything to curb the violence and increase in concussions and career ending injuries, the NHLPA has got to police its own membership.
I have been saying this for a few years now and at this point, I think the NHLPA has been negligent in addressing the issue. I would also suggest they're going to be ripe for a lawsuit at some point.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:47 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Brian View Post
I have been saying this for a few years now and at this point, I think the NHLPA has been negligent in addressing the issue. I would also suggest they're going to be ripe for a lawsuit at some point.

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/hockey.../19668841.html

Former NHLer opens up about battle with Parkinson's

The degenerative neurological disease is sometimes genetic, but it can also form after repeated brain trauma. Ludzik received his share while playing 424 NHL games from 1981 to 1990, mostly with the Chicago Blackhawks, plus hundreds of games in junior, the minors and Europe.

He figures he suffered six concussions throughout his career, though none were ever diagnosed.

“It was, ‘Boy, I’ve had a headache for a week, no appetite, and I’m miserable,’ ” Ludzik said. “You know your body more than anyone else.”

One of the biggest hits Ludzik received came during the 1986-87 season. The Hawks were in Minnesota and North Stars enforcer Larry DePalma drilled Ludzik into the boards from behind.

“I remember going to the bench and I couldn’t remember which town I was in,” Ludzik said. “You never said anything (about concussions) because you wanted to keep your job.”

cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote