04-29-2012, 01:20 PM
jamiebez

vCash: 500
Ak Bars Kazan (KHL) makes offer sheet to Burmistrov

Saw the link the the Trade Rumours board and ran it through Google Translate:

http://translate.google.com/translat...29%2F508206%2F

Russian source article here:

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-04-29/508206/

"We have made contract offers to those we are interested in and who is subject to our rights. So the club offered to extend the contract defender Grigory Panin. Made a proposal forward "Columbus Blue Dzhakets' Maxim Mayorov, exactly the same proposal was made to another attacker, who had gone from Kazan in the National Hockey League, Alexander Burmistrova of the" Winnipeg Jets ", he is now in the Russian national team is preparing for the World Cup."

I'm tagging this a "Rumor" since I don't speak Russian and have no idea how credible this is. Mods, change as you need to.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 234
He's still got one year left on his contract so as far as I know he can't really leave. Wouldn't he be barred from IIHF events in the future if he skipped out on his contract?

Given the fact he played junior here, he seems to be pushing himself to learn English - he probably did the most interviews during intermissions of anyone on the team - and he seems to have maintained a positive attitude throughout the year, I don't think he's a flight risk at all. IIRC his parents even stayed with him for some of the season so it's not like he never sees family here.

If he continues to struggle adapting his game to a more North-South style, as Noel puts it, and gets demoted to fourth-line duty or is a healthy scratch for any stretch of next year, that combined with the fact that his contract would be up could lead to him leaving after next season. I don't think that's likely however; I see Burmistrov being a late bloomer and not having one distinct breakout season, but rather improving gradually year after year. I think he'll have a good season next year and solidify himself as the second line center, albeit because the team doesn't have many options.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
He's still got one year left on his contract so as far as I know he can't really leave. Wouldn't he be barred from IIHF events in the future if he skipped out on his contract?

Given the fact he played junior here, he seems to be pushing himself to learn English - he probably did the most interviews during intermissions of anyone on the team - and he seems to have maintained a positive attitude throughout the year, I don't think he's a flight risk at all. IIRC his parents even stayed with him for some of the season so it's not like he never sees family here.

If he continues to struggle adapting his game to a more North-South style, as Noel puts it, and gets demoted to fourth-line duty or is a healthy scratch for any stretch of next year, that combined with the fact that his contract would be up could lead to him leaving after next season. I don't think that's likely however; I see Burmistrov being a late bloomer and not having one distinct breakout season, but rather improving gradually year after year. I think he'll have a good season next year and solidify himself as the second line center, albeit because the team doesn't have many options.
Just like Radulov right

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Just like Radulov right

Arrgghhh...you beat me to it!

Seriously, this is why I am reluctant to draft Russian players.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
Just like Radulov right
Exactly.. the Russian factor..

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:24 PM
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Arrgghhh...you beat me to it!

Seriously, this is why I am reluctant to draft Russian players.
Sorry bro haha
I agree with your statement
I get sketchy when drafting russians too

Old
04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

I sincerely doubt that Burmistrov will go to the KHL based on what I've heard about him.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/22/al...-for-old-guys/

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't think he will go to the KHL as long as he is in the Jets lineup.
I had argued in a thread a while back that if they sent him to the AHL after two seasons in the NHL he would be gone.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:44 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I sincerely doubt that Burmistrov will go to the KHL based on what I've heard about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I don't think he will go to the KHL as long as he is in the Jets lineup.
I had argued in a thread a while back that if they sent him to the AHL after two seasons in the NHL he would be gone.
This IMO.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:

I hope so but some of that could have been pre-draft talk.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 234
Quote:
Just like Radulov right
Didn't the IIHF change their rules after that though?

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

Quote:
Didn't the IIHF change their rules after that though?
Maybe in terms of participating internationally for their countries...

However without a transfer agreement between the Russian's and the NHL (preventing the russians to sign nhl players under contract) I doubt things will change.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Just like Radulov right
Following the Radulov issue, the KHL and NHL signed an agreement not to poach players that are still under contract in either league. Since that time NOT ONE player has been stolen while still under contract. I do not imagine that changes now for Burmistrov.

Quote:
Maybe in terms of participating internationally for their countries...

However without a transfer agreement between the Russian's and the NHL (preventing the russians to sign nhl players under contract) I doubt things will change.
You are a little confused about what a "transfer agreement" is. A transfer agreement is literally that...an agreement that allows transfers for players under contract. There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, but there is an agreement to not sign players under contract from the other league. Like I said nobody has been poached by the other league since Radulov. The NHL does at times "loan" players to the KHL, but everybody must agree to it. NHL R/UFA's/unsigned KHL players go back and forth, but nobody under contract, UNLESS both teams and the player agree to it.

A transfer agreement would allow the NHL to pay the KHL team a set amount and simply sign away a KHL player under contract without the KHL team agreeing to it, much like they have for SWE/FIN/etc. This is not present for KHL. That's why NHL teams have to wait for players like Tarasenko for his KHL contract to expire.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 04-29-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Following the Radulov issue, the KHL and NHL signed an agreement not to poach players that are still under contract in either league. Since that time NOT ONE player has been stolen while still under contract. I do not imagine that changes now for Burmistrov.

You are a little confused about what a "transfer agreement" is. A transfer agreement is literally that...an agreement that allows transfers for players under contract. There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, but there is an agreement to not sign players under contract from the other league. Like I said nobody has been poached by the other league since Radulov. The NHL does at times "loan" players to the KHL, but everybody must agree to it. NHL RFA's/KHL players that contract expires go back and forth, but nobody under contract, UNLESS both teams and the player agree to it.
You can sign a free agent player and cant sign one under contract

I knew that part.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, but there is an agreement to not sign players under contract from the other league.
So does that mean that this rumored offer to Burmi is untrue? If the KHL isn't allowed to sign players who are under contract to the NHL, then why make an offer?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
So does that mean that this rumored offer to Burmi is untrue? If the KHL isn't allowed to sign players who are under contract to the NHL, then why make an offer?
Can't see how it would true. Unless the KHL intends to renew the all out war. That all out war cost them Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, for nothing and gained them...Radulov. I doubt KHL wants to declare war again for Burmistrov.

EDIT: It's possible the offer was put to the Jets, to see if they would be open to having him go to KHL for a year to be 1st line C rather than bottom lines in WPG, but not sure why Jets would agree to that.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Bob E

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,wp8892

5. No later than July 11 the NHL is responsible to present the KHL with a copy of a standard KHL player contract translated into English. The KHL will study this contract and, if there are no questions to any of the sections of such contract, the League agrees to respect the contract in this form and not to sign players who have NHL contracts.

Also consider...

In conclusion, player poaching is not what this agreement is targeting. From the KHL perspective, it is more geared towards retaining their young talent. Only recently the news emerged that Mikhail Grigorenko, a highly touted Russian prospect who was chosen second overall in the CHL draft, is set to leave Russia to play in North America. The KHL may consider him to be under contract. And next year, if drafted in the NHL and willing to come and play in North America, the KHL may block this move citing the most recent MOU.

I wonder if this becomes a factor during the draft for some teams?

Last edited by Bob E: 04-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Bob E

Could it be that they are wanting to have him under contract, should there be a work stoppage in the NHL?

Old
04-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,wp8892

5. No later than July 11 the NHL is responsible to present the KHL with a copy of a standard KHL player contract translated into English. The KHL will study this contract and, if there are no questions to any of the sections of such contract, the League agrees to respect the contract in this form and not to sign players who have NHL contracts.

Also consider...

In conclusion, player poaching is not what this agreement is targeting. From the KHL perspective, it is more geared towards retaining their young talent. Only recently the news emerged that Mikhail Grigorenko, a highly touted Russian prospect who was chosen second overall in the CHL draft, is set to leave Russia to play in North America. The KHL may consider him to be under contract. And next year, if drafted in the NHL and willing to come and play in North America, the KHL may block this move citing the most recent MOU.

I wonder if this becomes a factor during the draft for some teams?
This has been in effect for 4 years (it was signed about a week after Radulov signed in KHL). IDK why this article seems to suggest this is a new thing, but it's wrong. EDIT: Ok, it was just an update of the agreement. Doesn't change anything, as far as I can tell.

It will not have any more effect on Russians than it has the last 3-4 years.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 04-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
JetsHomer

Could it be they already have his KHL rights, and are offering a contract knowing he will refuse to get a compensatory pick?

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Could it be they already have his KHL rights, and are offering a contract knowing he will refuse to get a compensatory pick?
I'm pretty sure they had, and maybe still do have, his KHL rights. There was some talk over whether or not he would be allowed to come over and play for the Colts when he did because he was under contract there. Ultmately he did come, he never did play the last two years of his contract with Ak Bars. I'm not sure if he skipped out on it, or if the Colts compensated Kazan (or if the Jets subesquently did). If it's the former, maybe they're staking they're original claim?

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Lux Aurumque*

When the Thrashers drafted Burmistrov, he said he hated the KHL, that it was an old man's league, and that he'd never go there to play.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
When the Thrashers drafted Burmistrov, he said he hated the KHL, that it was an old man's league, and that he'd never go there to play.
He later said he said this in an attempt to nullify the "Russian factor".

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Yup. But money talks. The timing seems to follow too closely to Radulov. Skip out on the last year of your EL contract to make more money in the KHL. Fulfill your KHL contract and help your home team. Do that for a few years, then come back late in the year to burn your last EL year. Become a RFA and then make better money in the NHL as a more experienced and productive player.

Not saying Burmi is planning to do this but, if he does, and other young Russian players do that as well, then this may need to be addressed in the new CBA, with tighter rules for RFA eligibility (need to be consecutive yrs, etc.).

Old
04-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Zine

Ak Bars hold Burmistrov's rights and, even though its against the NHL-KHL contract agreement, are making an offer anyways. Other KHL teams have done the same with NHLers in the past.......BUT it would never get past the KHL head office. As long as he has a valid NHL contract the KHL would nullify any deal.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote