HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How does Sweden do it?

Old
04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
TeemuLaine

vCash: 500
You forgot to add Bäckström, Berglund and Hörnqvist to that list, and i guess Hjalmarsson and Gunnarsson can also be included (Not saying they're stars)

TeemuLaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:31 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Canadians have a lot more major sports to follow than the Swedes. Canadian/American football, baseball, and basketball are WAY more popular in Canada than in Sweden. Thus, its not fair to point to Sweden and say "soccer is their #1 sport, yet look at the hockey players they produce." Because its pretty much Soccer and Hockey and that's it in Sweden. In Canada, the pie is sliced into more pieces, leaving less hockey focused development than some would think.
This is just so wrong.

You don't even know what kind of different sports they play in Sweden.

Yeah Canadians got "The Major Sports". In Sweden there are just much more like floorball, handball, volleyball, skiing, swimming, track and field...

And because the pie is sliced into more pieces in Sweden, they produce better players. It doesn't harm your hockey skills to play also handball, floorball and soccer. That makes you special player. It's not "I play only hockey"

In my opinion Sweden has the best system and culture to produce tons of good young players.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

This thread pretty much sums up HFboards. What could have been a interesting thread, is instead turned into a "my country vs. your country". Pretty much like every thread on this forum turns into a "my favorite player is better then your favorite player..." or "my team is better then your team."

It never fails. Start a thread about a specific team, player, country or anything. And in a couple of replies, the thread will take a nosedive and turn into a measuring contest.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
This is just so wrong.

You don't even know what kind of different sports they play in Sweden.

Yeah Canadians got "The Major Sports". In Sweden there are just much more like floorball, handball, volleyball, skiing, swimming, track and field...

And because the pie is sliced into more pieces in Sweden, they produce better players. It doesn't harm your hockey skills to play also handball, floorball and soccer. That makes you special player. It's not "I play only hockey"

In my opinion Sweden has the best system and culture to produce tons of good young players.
Sweden has swimming and track and field as major sports?

Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm View Post
Sweden has swimming and track and field as major sports?
Yes. Youth participation is high and TV ratings for larger international events are very solid. Athletics is arguably the most popular individual sport in the country.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:51 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Quick! Somebody divide a players points by their pounds so we know who the best pound for pound player is!
Steve Sullivan's got 48 points / 161 lbs. That's 5.6 in the poundsperhockey-scale™. MSL comes in at 5.4815162342314159265.

Steve Sullivan is probably the best p4p player.. IN THE WORLD

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
MrJonas

I don't really care about this "Sweden vs Canada" thing. I'm from Örnsköldsvik, so obviously to me you outsider Swedes are just dragging the "citizen-to-NHL player" ratio down.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Robin Hood

Does anyone have actual knowledge about differences in the systems to contribute with?

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Yes. Youth participation is high and TV ratings for larger international events are very solid. Athletics is arguably the most popular individual sport in the country.
Didn't know that. Thank you for the reply

Old
04-30-2012, 08:40 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

>Credit a nation for developing players
>takes 3 posts until Canadians start whining that about their players being the best

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
I don't really care about this "Sweden vs Canada" thing. I'm from Örnsköldsvik,so obviously to me you outsider Swedes are just dragging the "citizen-to-NHL player" ratio down.
Huh? How do you spell that?

I hope we have an honest Swedish mod here because it looks like you could be calling us names under false pretenses here.

Don't play with my intelligence! I don't have much left.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Korolyuk15

I stopped reading after the first page of this thread because I was already laughing too hard...

Sweden seemingly has a great developmental system...so does Canada, so does Russian...shouldn't forget Finland either

The genetic lottery produces potentially good athletes in every country, the percentage of them that develop to play a certain sport is dependant on numerous factors including the popularity of certain sports, the income required to play, their familial expectations etc etc

this really isn't worth arguing about...

what is more interesting is the different styles of play that different countries develop (i.e., Russia doesn't seem to produce as many good defensive prospects, but the offensive skill sets vastly outstrip canada's)

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
MrJonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm View Post
Huh? How do you spell that?

I hope we have an honest Swedish mod here because it looks like you could be calling us names under false pretenses here.

Don't play with my intelligence! I don't have much left.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
NuxFan09

So much respect for Sweden. I'm Canadian and I am and always will be proud of my country but you'll never hear any bias against the Swedes from me. Good players. Good people.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
mcsk*

lol North Americans and their lifee are weird.

mcsk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post

Lol

Old
04-30-2012, 09:33 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
>Credit a nation for developing players
>takes 3 posts until Canadians start whining that about their players being the best
I know. Kinda embarrassing.

Obviously the one thing Canadians can't develop is thick skins.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
I wonder if Sweden will continue to produce hockey talent for years to come now that gender neutrality is the big rave there.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/25/neither-he-nor-she/

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Sweden overhauled its development system after the loss to Belarus in 2002 (at least, that's when I thought it was, it might have been a little later), putting a renewed emphasis on skill development. There were a few years there where Sweden was really lean on high-end talent, and the thought of multiple Swedes being taken in the first round was hard to imagine.

Sweden is finally starting to see the products of that overhaul, starting with Backstrom and going from there to guys like Landeskog, Hedman, Larsson, OEL, and Zibanejad. Finland is doing some tweaking to its youth system as a result of Sweden, IIRC, and I think the Czechs and Slovaks could take a few lessons from them, too, but there are too many egos in those programs to develop good players consistently.

Norway just hasn't invested the money in infrastructure and coaching. Nobody wants to sponsor a hockey club, so the sport doesn't get as much exposure there. That's the only reason I can really think of for the sport not being bigger there.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post

Not bad for a country where most of the kids choose to play football.
Very true so how come Sweden doesn't produce many great soccer players? Denmark for example has half the population of Sweden and is light years ahead of them.

Whomever is in charge for Swedish hockey should be hired by Swedish soccer.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I know. Kinda embarrassing.

Obviously the one thing Canadians can't develop is thick skins.
Do the same to any country and it won't take long for people to feel insulted and take umbrage. IMHO.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I only skimmed the thread, but did anyone have a good answer why Norway doesn't really produce NHL players?

Also, tip of the had to all the young players from Sweden. Gonna be a good team for the Olympics.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Sweden definitely has a ton of good players (probably the next most after Canada, ahead of the US IMO), but it's been a while since they had an elite superstar that could compete with the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Stamkos.

IIRC, Alfredsson was the last Swedish forward to score 100 points and Lidstrom is an first-ballot HHOF defenseman, but where are the next generation of great Swedish players? Karlsson looks promising, but he could also become another Mike Green.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Very true so how come Sweden doesn't produce many great soccer players? Denmark for example has half the population of Sweden and is light years ahead of them.

Whomever is in charge for Swedish hockey should be hired by Swedish soccer.

What world are you living in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I only skimmed the thread, but did anyone have a good answer why Norway doesn't really produce NHL players?

Also, tip of the had to all the young players from Sweden. Gonna be a good team for the Olympics.
I don't think hockey is very popular in Norway. They're just skiing there...

SweYote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Sweden definitely has a ton of good players (probably the next most after Canada, ahead of the US IMO), but it's been a while since they had an elite superstar that could compete with the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Stamkos.

IIRC, Alfredsson was the last Swedish forward to score 100 points and Lidstrom is an first-ballot HHOF defenseman, but where are the next generation of great Swedish players? Karlsson looks promising, but he could also become another Mike Green.
lundqvist is a hart candidate and came into the league the same year as crosvechkin. so i guess there's your answer.

none of the younger crop has hit the heights of stamkos yet. but of all players drafted after '05, no canadian other than stamkos himself has either, and you could argue that backstrom and karlsson have been at roughly the same level as anyone else (toews, tavares, etc.)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote