Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The NOOF

Old
04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
The NOOF

For those of you that have accounts both on this site and the NOOF I was wondering how you were able to get an account on the NOOF. I have tried several times but when I email the site I get an email back saying it was not delivered. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution to my problem? Thanks in advance

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Torts

ive tried several times with several emails. none have worked. never received any emails or what not. personally i feel this forum is just as good or better.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:08 PM
cfaub

I don't know what the current possible technical difficulties are but having had an account for both sites for a couple of years I find that both sites have some very good posters. I have also been noticing that more and more posters from the NOOF are starting to post here as well as there.

As for trying to join, I know i had to send an email, took a couple of days before I received the initial response telling me what to do to gain membership, sending an email stating how I could contribute etc. The email also explained they were tryiong to screen out potential posters who were only looking to stir the pot so to speak instead of contributing to the debate. After I sent my response it actually took 3 weeks or so before I found out I was accepted. I actually sent a second email asking what the hold up was.

Don't know if there is an easier way to join but as I said, many posters from there are starting to post on both sites now and I think that although the level of discussion was fine before the posters from there who have begun to migrate here will only add to the level we have here already.

If you get on there, great but if not I wouldn't worry too much about it since so many are starting to post here as well and you are likely to find the same conversation on both sites with about the only real difference being that you will find more posters on the NOOF referring back to this site then you will find people here referring back to the NOOF.

Both good sites but the conversation is becoming one and the same on both for the most part.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Ottomatic

The NOOF is for squares.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
OHLTG

I've been on NOOF for pushing 15-years now (that scares me LOL), but I know the process for getting in now is apparently very tough. I'd keep trying, though, and just show them you will contribute to the board in a positive manner. They've had a lot of really stupid posters over the years and it drove some people away (two immediately come to mind). The board changed owners and they went to this stringent process to weed out the pests, if you will.

I know several posters on here are from there, so, while this board hasn't quite caught up in terms of all the teams, it's certainly getting there.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:43 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Like OHLTG I post on both boards..3 if you count Jr.A Forums. I like what I get from all 3 boards. The NOOF has become increasingly remedial over the past couple of years, but that goes for just about any board really. I know many posters and have met some great people in my years on the NOOF. I wouldn't rank any one board over the other..they all have benefits and downfalls. Keep trying if you want to join the NOOF. The criteria to join is pretty tight..but it is a good board once you get to know people's posting habits.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
For those of you that have accounts both on this site and the NOOF I was wondering how you were able to get an account on the NOOF. I have tried several times but when I email the site I get an email back saying it was not delivered. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution to my problem? Thanks in advance
Ive tried twice, but was not accepted. Don't stress it.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
I have a NOOF account going on probably 8 years now, don't post much on there, especially since I live in BC nowadays, although I still follow the Knights on an occasional basis.

Too strict on that board - no nonsense Noof admin gets a little tiring after a while. Really surprised you haven't seen a huge exodus from there over to here or another board...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I have a NOOF account going on probably 8 years now, don't post much on there, especially since I live in BC nowadays, although I still follow the Knights on an occasional basis.

Too strict on that board - no nonsense Noof admin gets a little tiring after a while. Really surprised you haven't seen a huge exodus from there over to here or another board...
Btwn this board and the Jr A forums, I think you've seen a significant number of people speaking volumes.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
bidzey

vCash: 0
I noticed the NOOF use PHPBB where HF Boards uses vBulletin. That's probably a major role why NOOF is so carefull at registration time. As a Web programmer I can tell you PHPBB is way too often attacked by Spam and other kinds of unsolicitaded attacks that can be a major pain in the butt if your the administrator/owner.

If your registering to the NOOF and you give them any reason to believe that your spamming, that can be the reason why you get rejected. As far as vBulletin, since they charge for their sofware, I never took time to install a trial run to see how many hacks it gets compared to PHPBB. I'm thinking vBulletin probably alot better for that type of security. I'd be curious to read what a MOD as to say about how many spammers they get here on this site.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:23 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
I noticed the NOOF use PHPBB where HF Boards uses vBulletin. That's probably a major role why NOOF is so carefull at registration time. As a Web programmer I can tell you PHPBB is way too often attacked by Spam and other kinds of unsolicitaded attacks that can be a major pain in the butt if your the administrator/owner.

If your registering to the NOOF and you give them any reason to believe that your spamming, that can be the reason why you get rejected. As far as vBulletin, since they charge for their sofware, I never took time to install a trial run to see how many hacks it gets compared to PHPBB. I'm thinking vBulletin probably alot better for that type of security. I'd be curious to read what a MOD as to say about how many spammers they get here on this site.
It's possible that's a factor, but I doubt its the reason. The guy who runs it treats it like his little kingdom, so unless you are a long time member or you jump through ridiculous hoops to prove you are critical to junior hockey at some level you aren't going to get an account. Even if you can jump through those hoops, you probably won't get an account anyway. This policy has done a nice job of removing many of the made up rumors about young players, trolling, baiting and conflicts, however it has also made the board pretty stale. It used to be a must read for a junior hockey fan, but these days it seems more like a discussion board for a bunch of old buddies who like junior hockey. It's not so much of a resource any more. I still read it because there's still the odd nugget of info or insight that gets missed elsewhere, but it only takes a minute or two per week to see what they are talking about. I've always been a fan of HF because the setup with all the team threads is nice, and it's a lot more active and informative overall. Also, you only need to answer a skill testing hockey question to get an account. That's sweet.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It's possible that's a factor, but I doubt its the reason. The guy who runs it treats it like his little kingdom, so unless you are a long time member or you jump through ridiculous hoops to prove you are critical to junior hockey at some level you aren't going to get an account. Even if you can jump through those hoops, you probably won't get an account anyway. This policy has done a nice job of removing many of the made up rumors about young players, trolling, baiting and conflicts, however it has also made the board pretty stale. It used to be a must read for a junior hockey fan, but these days it seems more like a discussion board for a bunch of old buddies who like junior hockey. It's not so much of a resource any more. I still read it because there's still the odd nugget of info or insight that gets missed elsewhere, but it only takes a minute or two per week to see what they are talking about. I've always been a fan of HF because the setup with all the team threads is nice, and it's a lot more active and informative overall. Also, you only need to answer a skill testing hockey question to get an account. That's sweet.
I see, I guess that defeats the purpose of having a forum, and no doubt will eventually go totaly stale. The owner maybe affiliated to the OHL in some minor way also. I'm saying this because I approached the Owen Sound Attack communication and public relation dude asking him if it was a good idea to have a forum for the team, and if I could use some of their graphics. I told him was going to buy an appropriate domain name and build everything at no cost.

He replied that they have a policy to keep players and staff away from such hockey boards because they often get negative and young players can get disturbed by what they read. When I got that reply I decided to let the whole thing drop because I don't want to do something that the team labels "unconstructive". So I'm thinking maybe most OHL team have the same policy, and this guy at the NOOF is handling it that way... maybe?

I just registered over there just for kicks and giggles... see what happens

Last edited by bidzey: 05-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
I see, I guess that defeats the purpose of having a forum, and no doubt will eventually go totaly stale. The owner maybe affiliated to the OHL in some minor way also. I'm saying this because I approached the Owen Sound Attack communication and public relation dude asking him if it was a good idea to have a forum for the team, and if I could use some of their graphics. I told him was going to buy an appropriate domain name and build everything at no cost.

He replied that they have a policy to keep players and staff away from such hockey boards because they often get negative and young players can get disturbed by what they read. When I got that reply I decided to let the whole thing drop because I don't want to do something that the team labels "unconstructive". So I'm thinking maybe most OHL team have the same policy, and this guy at the NOOF is handling it that way... maybe?

I just registered over there just for kicks and giggles... see what happens
I think Jughead is a little biased in his comments about the NOOF. However, based on some of the crap he posts around here, he would have been banned anyway.

There is an Owen Sound fan message board (not sure if you knew about it): - some really good posters on there.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 05-02-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: link removal machine
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:18 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I think Jughead is a little biased in his comments about the NOOF. However, based on some of the crap he posts around here, he would have been banned anyway.

There is an Owen Sound fan message board (not sure if you knew about it): - some really good posters on there.
yes I seen that forum, not to mention OS public relation dude pointed that out to me too. I was going to implement their identity into the design, and if possible, even get internals to post as a public relation thingy... but I was just dreaming

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 05-02-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Just FYI, we have a Site Rule against posting links to other sites which have hockey discussion forums. So I snipped the link from CharlieGirl's post. And there is probably a fine line somewhere in terms of discussing the NOOF here. Anybody looking for the Owen Sound link could of course PM CharlieGirl.

Also, feel free to make suggestions about ways we can improve the boards here. Some of you have in the past. And I think there has been some growth recently, maybe there are other things we could get in place now that the readership seems to be growing.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Just FYI, we have a Site Rule against posting links to other sites which have hockey discussion forums. So I snipped the link from CharlieGirl's post. And there is probably a fine line somewhere in terms of discussing the NOOF here. Anybody looking for the Owen Sound link could of course PM CharlieGirl.

Also, feel free to make suggestions about ways we can improve the boards here. Some of you have in the past. And I think there has been some growth recently, maybe there are other things we could get in place now that the readership seems to be growing.
that's very understandable policy, but in this case I wouldn't worry about The NOOF too much as they're abviouly shooting themselves in the foot. I don't get their policies as it plain dumb...

Old
05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Sorry BG -- I forgot that was a big no-no. Thanks.

If anyone wants the link, PM your email -- it's also apparently illegal to PM a link elsewhere, so I'll email it to you.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

I know it seems like I'm probably biased because I never got an account there, but it really has dropped in quality quite a bit. I've read the noof for almost as long as it has been around, it used to be a great way to get some inside scoops on the league and follow all the happenings. For the longest time, it really was the only decent source of information on the league aside from its own website. Now you get a lot more junior hockey coverage on the internet with tsn, sportsnet, the hockey news, and especially Yahoo, but early on there wasn't much out there besides the noof. Their biggest attraction used to be getting the occasional "inside" scoop from people who were closer to the teams, but even that isn't what it used to be- I find just as many or more connected posters on HF lately. You're right that I would probably get banned if I had a Noof account however, no argument there.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:08 AM
OHLTG

Hopefully none of us have crossed the line in terms of NOOF discussion. Certainly isn't the intent on my part.

One thing I wanted to comment on, though, was player/parent involvement on social media.

I've met dozens of players, parents, and organizational members who have either mentioned a specific media (NOOF, HF, FBook, Twitter, etc), or I've personally seen them reading it. I've also known people to delete their various accounts in the last couple of years (or even more recently) because of teams wanting people to stay away from any negative energy. That doesn't mean all energy has been bad, though.

For what it's worth, I've seen and heard more good things about social media from first-hand sources than I've heard bad When the general public has more and more access to everything, though, it becomes a distraction that's not always necessary.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
bidzey

Well I couldn't believe what you people were saying about how a forum owner out there was making it next to impossible to register. So I registered to see for myself. I'm not saying I though you guys were lying, it's just I know how hard it is to get a forum going if you try to do it using next to no money, and this guy is more or less turning everybody away. It's been almost 24 hours since I registered and I got nothing yet, and I'm expecting nothing to happen. (that's ok I'm not really interested)...

OHLTG said that they are trying to avoid really bad posters. I don't blame them for that, but this technique will eventually destroy the whole house. I don't know why they don't just kick those users out of the house afterwards, instead of kicking them out before-wards.

What almost send me right out of my chair is when I read this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
As for trying to join, I know i had to send an email, took a couple of days before I received the initial response telling me what to do to gain membership, sending an email stating how I could contribute etc.
If you ask me, a business should appreciate the clients, and not vice versa. If any forum owner would approach me this way, I would reply something among these lines...
Quote:
Dear Forum Owner
I am sorry I would have nothing much to contribute to your forum. I already posted all my best contribution on the HF boards. I also clicked till my heart contents on their ad banners, but I'm afraid I'm all out of those too!! Please disreagard my registration application as I don't see myself fit or smart enough to be part of your entourage.

thanks again
Bidzey
A forum that appriciates their clients will say something like...
" hey let us know how we can improve our community" or something like that.. like BG did, that's a smart thing to do because it doesn't degrade anybody, even after some rules may have been broken.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Otto

One thing to remember though, it's not a business. The forum owner makes no money from the operations of the NOOF and in fact it costs them money. Adding in jobs, family, outside commitments and the forum owner most likely would rather keep the board going with as few issues as possible.

The amount of warnings has gone down over the years, I can't recall the last time Noofadmin has even posted on there and only on the rare occassion has a thread been removed.

As has been already said, you probably get just as much info from here as you would there, and here there is a lot more moderators available to keep things in check. I don't see one site any more or less strict than the other, but I do see the discussion much more civil here and personal attacks are dealt with in a much quicker fashion.

As others have stated, I wouldn't sweat it too much if you're not able to post there.

Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
One thing to remember though, it's not a business.
that's partialy correct. At first you may be dishing out, and taking nothing in. The trick is about traffic. Once you have a certain amount of traffic, companies approach you to place ads on your site. You don't approach them, they approach you. At this point depending on the amount of traffic you get, you can get something like $20, 000 / month just on ads taking up real estate (space on your webpage) on your site. If you see ads on a site it's because there's enough traffic that you've been approached by certain companies. If people start clicking on them, they get even more. You're doing the site a big favor by simply clicking on their ads.

One the the biggest success of this is in recent years is "Tete a claque" they started with 3 guys in the basement with no income coming in. They got so much traffic, the site is worth millions and was bought by the french version of "Just for Laughs"

Old
05-04-2012, 12:38 AM
OHLTG

Yeah, the ad stuff on websites can turn into huge money. Can't under-estimate that power.

That said, I'm pretty much in agreement with everything Otto said.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
mcreferee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I had an account on the NOOF and could log in and post regularly. At one point I decided to check my profile section, something I had not done for several years, and noticed my email address was incorrect. I changed the email address and updated the profile and was told I would receive an email for "verification". Never received the email and was locked out as a result. Tried two other times to create new profiles and both times my requests went into oblivion.

Personally, I haven't missed it...far too many idiots who just stir the pot and "jump" into other fans / teams threads to say rediculous things. I read it from time to time, but it seems what they are trying to keep out (trollers, instigators, etc) are already on the site in abundance...

Just my two cents...

mcreferee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
I had an account on the NOOF and could log in and post regularly. At one point I decided to check my profile section, something I had not done for several years, and noticed my email address was incorrect. I changed the email address and updated the profile and was told I would receive an email for "verification". Never received the email and was locked out as a result. Tried two other times to create new profiles and both times my requests went into oblivion.

Personally, I haven't missed it...far too many idiots who just stir the pot and "jump" into other fans / teams threads to say rediculous things. I read it from time to time, but it seems what they are trying to keep out (trollers, instigators, etc) are already on the site in abundance...

Just my two cents...
wow... some people would kill to have people wanting to join their social community, and these guys are trashing them by the shovel full. Must be really bad management, throwing away a potential monthly fortune that good management could easily create. Getting traffic to your site is the hardest part, then it's easy sailing.