Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins 2011-12 Prospect Round-Up

Old
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Bruins 2011-12 Prospect Round-Up

Kirk Luedeke has a comprehensive round-up of the 2011-12 Bruins prospects in the NEHJ.

As always, Kirk's analysis is first rate and essential reading for those of us who are interested in the development of the young men who are the future of the Bruins. Included are his top 15 prospect rankings and awards in a number of categories (top player, most exciting, highest upside, biggest disappointment, etc.).

Enjoy the article and offer your thoughts.

The future is bright and another draft to add prospects is coming in June.

Full article: http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/ki...spects_roundup

Alan Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Great job Kirk !

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Awesome... Cant wait to read this

It might take me an hour or so though haha

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Won't ruin it for everyone who hasn't read but...

1. some sweet surprises in there.
2. Kirk is the best there is at this stuff...period.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever

Stuff like this is great to read for those of us who don't get to see the AHL guys play, nevermind the ones in the OHL, NCAA or overseas. As always, Kirk is a great source for Bruins prospect news, and I love the "awards" section.

Samsonov14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Kirk, you're very very good at what you do. Awesome piece.

I'm excited to see what becomes of Chudinov and hope he makes it over for development camp this summer. Also, loved Koko's description as "the dynamic little Muscovite".

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Very nice work...

I think I'm the most excited about Chudinov. Having him come over to NA would be amazing, he looks like an absolute steal if everything works out.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Also, loved Koko's description as "the dynamic little Muscovite".
I remember the last time we had one of those. Hope this one is as fun to watch as the last one was.

Samsonov14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonov14 View Post
I remember the last time we had one of those. Hope this one is as fun to watch as the last one was.

I was at Wilmington the day that Samsonov joined the Bruins.

I was amazed at his skill level for a rookie. It seemed like he could jump sideways in mid-stride while carrying the puck.

Alan Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Topshelf88
HFBoards Sponsor

Can't wait to read this.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Spooner st

Great read as always.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:23 AM
ODAAT

Another great contribution from you Kirk.

We are so lucky to have small group of contributors we have here who`s fingers are close to the pulse on this team/Junior prospects etc....although I still think the armchair Coaches/Scouts and GM`s here are equally as in tune<<< no sarcasm button located this AM, too early

Kirk/Dom and then there`s Alan Down Under, whatta trio

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:24 AM
GoBs

Good list but,why Krug over Warsofsky?? They are simmilar players with Warsofsky actually playing consistantly in the pro games.

Don't know about that, but I guess he's the new shiny prospect.

Last edited by GoBs: 04-30-2012 at 06:35 AM.
GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:29 AM
ap3lovr

Knight should be putting up better numbers with his size and strength in the OHL. I've read such a mixed bag about him, it's hard to get excited. The limited times I've seen him play on TV he has been underwhelming. I think of our prospect pool, only Hamilton, Chudinov and Soderberg could currently play in the NHL.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
Knight should be putting up better numbers with his size and strength in the OHL. I've read such a mixed bag about him, it's hard to get excited. The limited times I've seen him play on TV he has been underwhelming. I think of our prospect pool, only Hamilton, Chudinov and Soderberg could currently play in the NHL.
Kid`s 5`11, 200lbs, very solid size but not sure why or how you feel that should translate into putting up better numbers, much has been written about him playing on a shut down style line much of the time.

With all due respect, having someone like Dom who`s watched him play a ton, and listening to opposing scouting reports on the kid have me far more optimistic than you. Knight, from all reports has been playing with a lower body injury (apparant high ankle sprain) and the kid is nothing short of a bulldog who`ll do absolutely anything and everything to win.

It all depends on what your expectations are of him as an individual, I am hoping he can be a guy who`ll provide a consistent energy boost on the 3rd line, pop some pts, I don`t expect, nor do I think he`s a Rocket Richard Trophy challenger. I`m not going to sit here and try and project a guy`s stats if/when he arrives at the pro level, but there are many things ya just can`t teach, and that`s effort and heart, and it appears from all reports he has both and he won`t be content until he`s wearing a spoked B.

If we look at/view him as a guy who could be a 30 goal NHL man, then...I think we`ll be potentially disappointed, I`m just dying to see a Bruin drive the net, have no fear, we just witnessed a series in which the B`s had nobody willing to pay the price outside of few, a guy like Knight, it doesn`t appear, will have any issues getting his nose dirty.

Just another gift from MLSE/Brian Burke, this organization, not so long ago had absolutely NOTHING in the prospect tank, I`m taking the approach of optimism that kids like a Spooner/Knight/Hamilton/Koko and others are in the system, and hoping, that the B`s will be built for long term success with their contributions.

Last edited by ODAAT: 04-30-2012 at 06:44 AM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
I work hard at this and people who know me understand that I try not to fall into that line of thought when assessing players. Based on what I have seen from Krug at the NCAA & NHL level and Warsofsky in the NCAA, d-camps & AHL, going with Krug for now.

It's a subjective assessment for sure, but Krug was the more productive player in college and I like his intangibles a little more-- named captain of his team as a sophomore goes a long way with me and he works his *** off. Can't always say the same for Warsofsky, who is very good when he wants to be, but still working on his overall consistency and intensity from shift to shift.

Sorry that you don't agree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Good list but,why Krug over Warsofsky?? They are simmilar players with Warsofsky actually playing consistantly in the pro games.

LOL, I guess you don't know Kirk very well then...

Not to speak for Kirk, but wasn't Krug far superior then David in college? Also, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Krug showed more ability at the NHL level then David did in the "A"?

Kirk doesn't play favorites AT ALL when he ranks players, and doesn't just elevate guys because they are "shiny new toys".

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

We are so lucky to have small group of contributors we have here who`s fingers are close to the pulse on this team/Junior prospects etc....although I still think the armchair Coaches/Scouts and GM`s here are equally as in tune<<< no sarcasm button located this AM, too early

One Day, how can you forget the awsomeness of Latrappe's unbiaised analysis of our centers, he's work on our goalie's is HOF material.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

ODAAT I appreciate that - and don't take this the wrong way, As humble as I am and appreciate the accolades around here, I always feel uncomfortable when I get mentioned in the same breath (or with a / next to his name )

Kirk IMO is one of the best in the business and few know their stuff better then he does. One of the things I have learned about him is that he gives his opinion honestly. He's not out to be a "I told you so" type of guy. He's sincere in his opinions and takes questions (and gives answers) like no one else.

Kirk, like I told you yesterday, tough to find anything to debate on that list....Great job as always and I will continue to appreciate the work you do for as long as you provide it to us.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I was at Wilmington the day that Samsonov joined the Bruins.

I was amazed at his skill level for a rookie. It seemed like he could jump sideways in mid-stride while carrying the puck.
Yup right out of the way of contact to curl in the corner and dump the puck. Sorry was never a fan and I hope Koko is much better.

Great job Kirk

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
brewins09

Very good article and in-depth information.
Funny how a kid like Jamie Arniel who was very highly regarded after leading the P Bruins in many categories last year, has an off year (although he played very well at times, especially near the end of the year) and is suddenly it appears, to be written off as a prospect. Arniel was showing very good development and improved at every camp. He's too good of a player skill and smarts wise to write off. I think this year was an aberration and if the Bruins offer him a contract (RFA), he comes back and regains his quality prospect status.

brewins09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Good stuff Kirk!

Love that Chudinov pick. I am not a huge fan of drafting Russians, but if you are, thats the way to do it. Hopefully they learned their lesson with Alexandrov.

Surprised Tommy Cross wasn't #1 on the list

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewins09 View Post
Very good article and in-depth information.
Funny how a kid like Jamie Arniel who was very highly regarded after leading the P Bruins in many categories last year, has an off year (although he played very well at times, especially near the end of the year) and is suddenly it appears, to be written off as a prospect. Arniel was showing very good development and improved at every camp. He's too good of a player skill and smarts wise to write off. I think this year was an aberration and if the Bruins offer him a contract (RFA), he comes back and regains his quality prospect status.
Just don't see the upside with Arniel, or where he fits as a long-term option for Boston.

Is it possible that last year was an aberration and that his 1st, 3rd years in the AHL are more the norm for what we can expect from Arniel production-wise?

I'm sorry if you view this as a write-off, but has he earned a spot ahead of the guys in the top-15? Debateable and in my view he has not. And since I'm the guy who does the research and takes the time to do this, that's what matters.

But on a more serious note-- do you see a guy like Arniel making the Boston roster ahead of the established fourth-liners? What does he bring to the table better than those guys that would lead you to believe he's worthy of consideration in the top-15? It's possible, but for a guy who was touted as a potential 2nd/3rd liner coming out of the OHL with scoring chops, he simply hasn't done it at the pro level with the kind of consistency or intensity you want to see.

I call it like I see it, and I'm sorry that every prospect can't be ranked where folks would like them to be. Someone has to fall, unfortunately. The nature of the business is "what have you done for me lately?" and frankly, Arniel was a huge disappointment when Providence really needed him to be a leader and producer this season. From what I was told off the record, he was neither.

No other way to sugarcoat it.

But I do appreciate the feedback.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Just don't see the upside with Arniel, or where he fits as a long-term option for Boston.

Is it possible that last year was an aberration and that his 1st, 3rd years in the AHL are more the norm for what we can expect from Arniel production-wise?

I'm sorry if you view this as a write-off, but has he earned a spot ahead of the guys in the top-15? Debateable and in my view he has not. And since I'm the guy who does the research and takes the time to do this, that's what matters.

But on a more serious note-- do you see a guy like Arniel making the Boston roster ahead of the established fourth-liners? What does he bring to the table better than those guys that would lead you to believe he's worthy of consideration in the top-15? It's possible, but for a guy who was touted as a potential 2nd/3rd liner coming out of the OHL with scoring chops, he simply hasn't done it at the pro level with the kind of consistency or intensity you want to see.

I call it like I see it, and I'm sorry that every prospect can't be ranked where folks would like them to be. Someone has to fall, unfortunately. The nature of the business is "what have you done for me lately?" and frankly, Arniel was a huge disappointment when Providence really needed him to be a leader and producer this season. From what I was told off the record, he was neither.

No other way to sugarcoat it.

But I do appreciate the feedback.
Whats your opinion of MacDermid making the 4th line next year,.

I know he was not on your short list, but for what he brings to a certain role he seems to have a better chance of making it than say Arniel. I think his experience on the PK will also help him. I remember he was top 2 in PK ice time for all the pre season games he was in.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Whats your opinion of MacDermid making the 4th line next year,.

I know he was not on your short list, but for what he brings to a certain role he seems to have a better chance of making it than say Arniel. I think his experience on the PK will also help him. I remember he was top 2 in PK ice time for all the pre season games he was in.
I like MacDermid & his toughness, but he too, is going to find it tough sledding to crack the lineup as a regular. I agree that he's probably a safer option to stick in Boston longer-term than Arniel is.

But next year? Going to be tough.

It is even more difficult with Shawn Thornton being re-signed, I don't think it happens unless ST22 gets injured, but MacD did not look out of place in his albeit limited action, IMO.