HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 11:06 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Phoenix will never trade OEL. Hell, I'd be pissed for their fans if they ever dealt him. He's going to be better than Letang. He's that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
Not sure, but I think Pens might have to add. OEL still has another year of his ELC @ 1.75M and he plays tough minutes for phx.
That's why I said "probably wouldn't happen".

That said, PHX has a tremendous group of young defensemen -- Yandle, OEL, Rundblad, Gormley, & Connor Murphy -- and they have the strength on D to trade one of those guys for their biggest need, which is centre ice. I think with that group, PHX has the best group of young Dmen in the league, and the could be the next 'Nashville", or even better.

But my point is: how many young players are there that you would trade Staal for straight up? Not many...and we'd HAVE to get an elite current/future #1 Dman in return, IMO.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Nice to see Yohe pick up the mantle of sensationalist crap on Twitter from Rossi.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Martin and Staal for the #1pick and Smid. I gotta think both sides would take a long hard look at that. It would obviously take a pre-negotiation with Staal.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:11 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
Not a chance in hell Ray Shero picks up Shawn Horcoff's contract. $5.5M for another 3 seasons: not going to happen.
Horcoff has the same contract as Martin's in a role we lack access to a replacement player, should we move both Martin and Staal.

Martin's not getting moved for a 500k player. Wherever he goes, if he goes, we will have to take on roughly the same salary over roughly the same term in exchange. And we will likely have to take on, like Martin, an underperforming player.

Shero could do far worse than adding a #1 overall pick, cutting 3 million in salary and turning an overpaid, underperforming defenseman we don't need into an overpaid, underperforming forward who fulfills a role we would have an opening for in an exchange involving a player we might lose anyway in 12 months.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Martin and Staal for the #1pick and Smid. I gotta think both sides would take a long hard look at that. It would obviously take a pre-negotiation with Staal.
Pretty sure the Oilers would rather keep their best defenseman from last year and draft Yakupov.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It would be interesting to see the fan reaction at CEC if Staal were traded at the draft. I know some people really get on him, but he's still a popular player here. That would be interesting.

I wouldn't like a Staal/1st overall deal for Edmonton. I think the 1st overall (Yakupov) will be more of a franchise player. I suppose some of it comes down to need and talent evaluation though. Edmonton would have to believe Staal has good offensive potential in a bigger role and that does make some sense since we saw a spike in his offense when Crosby was out for a long time. He also fits a need for Edmonton.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:03 AM
mpp9

Was mentioned on the main board. Stewart+Cole+1st from the Blues. I'm a big believer in Stewart blowing up here so I'm biased on that piece, but if Cole could play 2nd pairing minutes in the near future, that's a deal I'd do. From what I understand about Cole, he's a big bodied all around D-man. 220+ lbs who's solid around the net and can move the puck quickly.

Someone else who knows more about him, jump in.

Last edited by mpp9: 05-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old
05-01-2012, 05:29 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Was mentioned on the main board. Stewart+Cole+1st from the Blues. I'm a big believer in Stewart blowing up here so I'm biased on that piece, but if Cole could play 2nd pairing minutes in the near future, that's a deal I'd do. From what I understand about Cole, he's a big bodied all around D-man. 220+ lbs who's solid around the net and can move the puck quickly.

Someone else who knows more about him, jump in.
Cole plays bottom-pairing minutes doesn't he? And Stewart has been so poor for STL plus that first is at the bottom of the round. Honestly I don't see the value there. If I'm targeting STL in a trade, whether it's Staal or Orpik or whomever, David Perron is the guy I want.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:54 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
It would be interesting to see the fan reaction at CEC if Staal were traded at the draft. I know some people really get on him, but he's still a popular player here. That would be interesting.

I wouldn't like a Staal/1st overall deal for Edmonton. I think the 1st overall (Yakupov) will be more of a franchise player. I suppose some of it comes down to need and talent evaluation though. Edmonton would have to believe Staal has good offensive potential in a bigger role and that does make some sense since we saw a spike in his offense when Crosby was out for a long time. He also fits a need for Edmonton.
Yohe wrote, he had spoken with Scotty Bowman and he says, Yakupov reminds him Pavel Bure. Hmmmm...

Old
05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Yohe wrote, he had spoken with Scotty Bowman and he says, Yakupov reminds him Pavel Bure. Hmmmm...
Do you think Yakupov would go before Staal if they were both were available in this draft? And I am speaking of Staal's current status in the league.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

What are some of the good young defensemen out there right now that we could trade Staal for?

Old
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Do you think Yakupov would go before Staal if they were both were available in this draft? And I am speaking of Staal's current status in the league.
not a chance. potential can't match how safe a pick Staal would be

Old
05-01-2012, 09:35 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
not a chance. potential can't match how safe a pick Staal would be
I agree. It is the best case to make that Staal has more value than the #1 overall pick.

I wouldn't mind going with Staal for Yakupov and Lander, but I would imagine the Pens could put together a package of players to get a bigger return.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
What are some of the good young defensemen out there right now that we could trade Staal for?
my list goes about as far as

Zach Bogosian- Staal could become the face of Winnipeg and be top line center
Keith Yandle- PHX has a couple great younger defenseman, and def needs center help
Phillip Larsen- I'm sure Dallas would love to add center help behin Benn
Kevin Shattenkirk- STL is stacked on D and weak down the middle

these are just a couple of guesses...no rumors or anything.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
my list goes about as far as

Zach Bogosian- Staal could become the face of Winnipeg and be top line center
Keith Yandle- PHX has a couple great younger defenseman, and def needs center help
Phillip Larsen- I'm sure Dallas would love to add center help behin Benn
Kevin Shattenkirk- STL is stacked on D and weak down the middle

these are just a couple of guesses...no rumors or anything.
If we did trade Staal, I'd want a big young punishing defenseman back if we don't go the winger route.

What about Gudbranson in Florida? They look pretty devoid of center depth. Staal could step right in on the 1st line.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
If we did trade Staal, I'd want a big young punishing defenseman back if we don't go the winger route.

What about Gudbranson in Florida? They look pretty devoid of center depth. Staal could step right in on the 1st line.
I can't see them moving him. I think its too early for them to ship him off. Maybe Kulikov though. Not nearly as good but could be part of a deal

Old
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
I can't see them moving him. I think its too early for them to ship him off. Maybe Kulikov though. Not nearly as good but could be part of a deal
Yeah I know it would be a long shot, but I wonder if we could swap Staal for Gudbranson, and then one of our d prospects for one of their winger prospects. They really could use some offense, especially at the center position. Plus they have the cap room to accommodate Staal's next contract.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Staal + Martin + 2013 first

For

Bobby Ryan + Cam Fowler

Do it Ray

Old
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nashville: Suter (if they can't sign him, but he's willing to negotiate with Pens); Jossi; Ekholm; Blum; Ellis -- I want size and a lefty, which means the latter two are out

PHX: OEL (their best D, don't think they'd move him); Yandle; Gormley; Rundblad; Connor Murphy

Boston -- Dougie Hamilton (not going to happen, they will not move him)

Florida -- Gudbranson & Kulikov (not going to happen, they will not move them)

Calgary -- Giordano (LOVE the player, don't love the age gap -- I'm not sure Calgary has the ++ to add to make this deal work for us). I would also consider a deal surrounding Bouwmeester, if CGY took back Martin in return or if we could move PM elsewhere. Bouwmeester ++ (i.e. 14th overall) would be intriguing.

NYI -- the 4th overall would have to be included, because that's where we'd get our top Dman (i.e. Murray, Dumba, Reinhart, Trouba, Rielly, Lindholm, etc.), but that player may not help us for 2 or 3 yeras, so we'd have to be getting back Niederreiter, or at least Bailey, as part of the package. I did not included Hamonic because there is no way they will move him.

Minnesota -- Brodin. Yes, he's their only elite Dman, but might be another year away. Brodin + Setoguchi, or 7th overall + Setoguchi would be interesting. But we'd have to get them to take Martin in that deal, which could make it work.

Toronto -- not sure if they would move Gardiner; not sure if the Pens like/need Schenn enough; but we could get a great Dman at #5. We'd have to get them to take Martin, too.

NYR -- Ryan McDonaugh -- he's the big, physical left-handed D that we need, and the Rangers have the pieces to add (ie Kreider, Stepan, Miler, etc.). Not sure if they would be willing to put together a strong enough package though, as their team is very good as is.

Anaheim -- Luca Sbisa. Could put together a really strong package with Sbisa + Smith-Pelley or perhaps #6 overall.

Ottawa -- Cowen. Not sure they would move him, and they're deep at centre.

Dallas -- Oleksiak. He has performed very well since being drafted, and I think he'll be the real deal. But he's 1 to 2 years away, and I don't think Dallas has anything attractive that they can/would add.

Carolina -- I will exclude them from this list, because as good as Ryan Murphy is, I don't think he fits the bill for us. Faulk is more intriguing, but unless they're adding #8 overall, I don't think the Pens do this (Skinner is untouchable, IMO)

Edmonton -- basically, the Pens would need to believe either Klefbom or Marincin has top pairing potential, and they would need to get one of those guys in return + a guy like Anton Lander or Paajarvi in return. I'm not sure that's a strong enough package, if we're excluding the 1st overall from the discussion.

Columbus -- Jack Johnson -- not sure CLB wants to trade from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength (centre). I think the'll fill whatever holes they need to by trading Nash. Also not sure Staal would want to sign an extension in CLB.

Detroit -- Brendan Smith. How high are the Pens on this guy really? And not sure Detroit has the ++ to add.

That's a pretty exhaustive list, IMO.

Last edited by jmelm: 05-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Staal + Martin + 2013 first

For

Bobby Ryan + Cam Fowler

Do it Ray

lol, the thing is though is the fact that we don't need more offensive defensemen.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
hctopcheds11

There simply isn't very many good young defenseman available who would be worth Staal giving up. The good young defenseman in this league are untouchable, not proven enough or have warts.

That's why if we trade Staal, I wouldn't hate if it was to add to our wings. It would be a nice bargaining chip for Crosby's new deal to be able to say we have him a guy for the future (for the only time in his career, a guy he can grow with). When we move Martin, we will have the cap space to sign a defenseman UFA. Besides, we really need more of a short term solution for the defense with Despres, Morrow, Strait, Bortuzzo all waiting in the wind.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Giordano ... every time I see or hear this name I have an intense craving for pizza .. deep dish Chicago pizza ...

But, regarding Staal ... I just don't see how we can get value back that would even out what losing him would mean.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
justsayin*

Gudbranson would be nice. Maybe they could package Staal and Martin.

Maybe:

Staal
Martin
Tangradi

for

Gudbranson
Bjugstad
Grimaldi

Old
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Giordano ... every time I see or hear this name I have an intense craving for pizza .. deep dish Chicago pizza ...
Giordano is an interesting player. I'd like him in a deal but I think jhelm is right, I'm not sure they have the other piece necessary to add.

Staal and our 1st for Giordano, Backlund and CGY's 1st?

or get crazy:

To PIT:
Iginla
Giordano

TO CGY:
Staal
Martin
++

Old
05-01-2012, 10:15 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Giordano is an interesting player. I'd like him in a deal but I think jhelm is right, I'm not sure they have the other piece necessary to add.

Staal and our 1st for Giordano, Backlund and CGY's 1st?

or get crazy:

To PIT:
Iginla
Giordano

TO CGY:
Staal
Martin
++
How good is Backlund right now? Potential?

Closed Thread