HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Out of Town Scoreboard (Non-Caps VI)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 500

Someone posted this in the Devils forums, reminds me of Wideman and Schultz every shift.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
If you say so.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1200841

Didn't even see this when I said that, but LOL.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Capitlols

Bold moves paying off for LA...paging GMGM.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Well, yes, that's outlandish.

'11-12 Conn Smythe winner: Jonathan Quick.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Well, yes, that's outlandish.

'11-12 Conn Smythe winner: Jonathan Quick.
Wasn't it just when the Norris finalist were announced people were saying Weber was the best dmen in the world? He's mentioned like twice and Pietrangelo is the next Lidstrom now.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Bold moves paying off for LA...paging GMGM.
We don't have the players to make those bold moves. LA was a bottom feeder longer than us.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:53 AM
fsnoles98

LA has made the right moves the past couple of years. Their GM has made moves to move people out that don't belong, wrong chemistry, don't hustle. He has brought people in that hustle, have good skill and have shown they can win. He has made bold moves, but has not overspent for those moves seeing where they are. He has done a nice job, meanwhile our GMGM is still trying to find a coach and keeping players on the team that have no business being the NHL. Nice job, you.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
We don't have the players to make those bold moves. LA was a bottom feeder longer than us.
Oh, please. Being bad for a while is not the only way to build up quality organizational depth. Wayne Simmonds was a late second rounder, Quick a third rounder, Martinez & King fourth rounders and Nolan a seventh rounder. They pretty much wasted one of those high picks on Hickey. Lewis hasn't really developed into more than a decent role player and Bernier hasn't played a minute in the playoffs. I don't believe for a second this org. would have had the balls to trade Schenn & Simmonds for Richards.

They were bold because they've been disciplined in building that team under their own philosophy that's been held true to and have realised that windows of opportunity can't be taken for granted. Whether this organization has something resembling that is very debatable. They flouder around, shift with the wind and accept mediocrity all too much. Organizations do look a lot smarter when they're mowing teams down in the playoffs but nonetheless it's the discipline and composure that sticks out in the teams that thrive this time of year. That's something that doesn't just come from the players but the organization overall.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

They've also been better at taking advantage of the market (bringing in guys with reputations of character/motivation issues in Richards, Carter, and Penner that other teams might have shied away from) and making them fit, although Penner took his time getting there.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

I remember i was the only one who wanted carter at the deadline. but seeing they had to give up jack johnson im not that mad we didnt get him. but just think if we had a #2 center for this playoffs and heading into the future.

This offseason seems big for GMGM. 15+ mill to spend in FA, Semin and Kuzya dont want to be caps, No coach and some good 1st rounders. This offseason can set up how the team looks for the next 2-3 years.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Halpysback

Carter looks good on a team where plenty of others are doing the heavy lifting. Of the players on his line, he's playing the 3rd best hockey right now. He would have folded badly with us.

I find it hilarious that his one play that has everyone talking still has him staying on the perimeter the whole time.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
I remember i was the only one who wanted carter at the deadline. but seeing they had to give up jack johnson im not that mad we didnt get him. but just think if we had a #2 center for this playoffs and heading into the future.
Couldn't they just pick up someone else who is not a center and you can slot him in there? I mean that is the same as saying Carter would have filled that role...

Old
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Oh, please. Being bad for a while is not the only way to build up quality organizational depth. Wayne Simmonds was a late second rounder, Quick a third rounder, Martinez & King fourth rounders and Nolan a seventh rounder. They pretty much wasted one of those high picks on Hickey. Lewis hasn't really developed into more than a decent role player and Bernier hasn't played a minute in the playoffs. I don't believe for a second this org. would have had the balls to trade Schenn & Simmonds for Richards.

They were bold because they've been disciplined in building that team under their own philosophy that's been held true to and have realised that windows of opportunity can't be taken for granted. Whether this organization has something resembling that is very debatable. They flouder around, shift with the wind and accept mediocrity all too much. Organizations do look a lot smarter when they're mowing teams down in the playoffs but nonetheless it's the discipline and composure that sticks out in the teams that thrive this time of year. That's something that doesn't just come from the players but the organization overall.
My view of LA is totally different: They became bold out of desperation. They put together a great team on paper that underachieved for a few consecutive years, so they essentially had nothing to lose by making big, bold moves. And good for them, they totally paid off, but I think they were operating from a position in which they had to make moves, not one in which the future somehow looked brighter.

Then you look at the Caps, who seemingly got spoiled with regular season success, and didn't want to mess up what they thought was a good thing. I'm not advocating or defending their approach, just noting how we got where we are today. They figured hey, we keep plugging in these cheap rookies, and we keep winning (again, regular season), so why don't we just keep trying this approach until we win in the playoffs?

Now it's pretty clear this teams needs something, and that may be something a new coach alone can't provide, so the Caps might find themselves in LA's position, before the big moves, very soon, if they aren't there already.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
My view of LA is totally different: They became bold out of desperation. They put together a great team on paper that underachieved for a few consecutive years, so they essentially had nothing to lose by making big, bold moves. And good for them, they totally paid off, but I think they were operating from a position in which they had to make moves, not one in which the future somehow looked brighter.

Then you look at the Caps, who seemingly got spoiled with regular season success, and didn't want to mess up what they thought was a good thing. I'm not advocating or defending their approach, just noting how we got where we are today. They figured hey, we keep plugging in these cheap rookies, and we keep winning (again, regular season), so why don't we just keep trying this approach until we win in the playoffs?

Now it's pretty clear this teams needs something, and that may be something a new coach alone can't provide, so the Caps might find themselves in LA's position, before the big moves, very soon, if they aren't there already.
I agree with Langway about the Capitals, but totally agreed on the Kings. I guess Langway's interpretation probably applies to their moves before this season, but I think the Carter trade and the coaching change represent the opposite. Lombardi was desperately scrambling to save his job and took shots in the dark, basically. That doesn't mean there wasn't logic behind acquiring Carter, but Lombardi was just doing whatever he could IMO.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It was desperation but it was also pretty firmly rooted in reality considering their short-term chances in the Western Conference. Long-term I think they could have sold the upside of Schenn to the fanbase but it would have meant a couple more years of growing pains. The Richards trade and coaching change really opened up their window. The Penner & Carter deadline moves were both desperation moves to be sure, brought about by losing out on Kovalchuk and others previously. They were nonetheless needed and I don't think they were really that big of an underachiever in past seasons. Losing out to more stacked/experienced VAN/SJS teams is the nature of a very tough West. They just didn't want to wait for Schenn in particular to mature into a prime player and that's understandable in the short-term. They were fortunate that Richards & Carter were available when they were and that their rookies have stepped in late in the season and made them even better. It's a case of everything coming together marvelously but it's hard to expect that from a franchise that isn't really actively looking to make that happen.

The Caps have by far more of an expectations problem on their hands and no question they need more than the right coach. They need a culture change and, with Semin likely leaving, an overhaul of their secondary scoring. It's hard to expect that to come via UFA alone.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I hate how Schenn being traded was bold. Schenn was nothing before he played on a stacked Team Canada and started blowing out crappy teams.

They sold a highly rated prospect for a proven player on a good contract.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
LA has made the right moves the past couple of years. Their GM has made moves to move people out that don't belong, wrong chemistry, don't hustle. He has brought people in that hustle, have good skill and have shown they can win. He has made bold moves, but has not overspent for those moves seeing where they are. He has done a nice job, meanwhile our GMGM is still trying to find a coach and keeping players on the team that have no business being the NHL. Nice job, you.

Ted is the core problem. McPhee is merely incompetent.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ted is the core problem. McPhee is merely incompetent.
Snyder is a core problem. Leonsis...rightful criticisms of maybe being a little hands off after getting his mettlesome hand bit early on sure...but a core problem? Imho, rofl.

06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Millhaus

I find it hard to believe building a team that required firing the coach 29 games into the season and needing a desperation throw of the dice to bring in a scorer having an abysmal season at the deadline because they simply could not put the puck in the net was part of some grand plan for success.

Those were both desperate moves by a team just hoping to make the playoffs. And they made it and have been fantastic but that doesn't change why these moves were made to begin with.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

LA was desperate for a 2C because they found out what happened last year when Kopitar went down. They gave up the league's top prospect, a good roster player, and a high pick for a player that had wore out his welcome in Philly.

They were desperate and took huge gambles but they still had to make the moves and they have paid off. It's still a better gamble than to surround Schenn with high-priced wingers like some lacrosse bro here suggested with Johansson.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
LA was desperate for a 2C because they found out what happened last year when Kopitar went down. They gave up the league's top prospect, a good roster player, and a high pick for a player that had wore out his welcome in Philly.

They were desperate and took huge gambles but they still had to make the moves and they have paid off. It's still a better gamble than to surround Schenn with high-priced wingers like some lacrosse bro here suggested with Johansson.
I hate this ****. Stop with it.

They made bold moves to get a 2nd C, from a team in the same exact conference as the Caps. Look at both trades the Flyers did with Carter and Richards, both to Western Conference teams.

I hate this idea another team did this therefore the Caps could of done it.

Did the Caps have a Schenn type player or Simmonds type player?

So maybe its Kuznetsov and Johansson for Richards?

Then Carlson for Carter.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Weak call on Fayne leads to a PP goal. Sweep coming?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Weak call on Fayne leads to a PP goal. Sweep coming?
Yeah, weak call, but LA is dominant.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Dream Big

4-0 for LA with 8:32 to go in the third period. It's really hard to watch.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Dream Big

Lots of celebrities at this game. Saw Gretzky with his wife Janet, Mathew Perry, Pat Sajak,Melissa Milano, Mary Hart, LL Kool J, David Beckham, Alan Thicke, Kevin Connelly, Anthony Robins. Maybe we need Tony Robins to do some motivational speaking to the Caps.

Closed Thread