HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Seeking advice on getting back into skating/playing after a loooong hiatus

Old
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
SiberianBull

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
Seeking advice on getting back into skating/playing after a loooong hiatus

Hey everyone - new to the boards, and just getting back into skating/playing. I feel like there are a few board members who are in the same boat as I am, or have been in similar spots during their playing 'careers'.

A little back story. Born in Russia, and was pretty much on skates 5 months out of the year from 6-12yo. Came to the states when I was 12, and had to drop hockey in lieu of another sport. Fast forward 21 years to December and my 4 year old is all of a sudden really fascinated with hockey/skating. So we take him to the local rink - and he loves it, which gives me an opportunity to take him rather frequently and also work on my skating. I get a pair of grafs and we start going regularly. There are a couple of adult leagues that are starting up in the fall and I would like to join a lower (C league) which has a wide range of abilities - from complete n00bs to decent players. So my questions are as follows:

1. What is the most constructive way to spend time during open skate sessions (when I take my son)? We go during off peak times on week nights, so it's just usually him and I and a random teenage couple. I am decent at going left (both crossovers and hockey turns), hockey stop is fine going right, going backwards and stopping backwards are fine as well. Uncomfortable crossing over to the right, hockey turning to the right, hockey stopping to the left (obv should work on these areas). Any drill ideas are much appreciated.

2. My rink also holds skate-and-shoots (where scrimmaging is not allowed). Got some prelim equipment (helment, stick, gloves) and am planning on going to a couple sessions this week. Haven't held a stick in a couple decades - so again, any advice on basic drills and stuff I should be working on is appreciated

3. Any off ice stick and conditioning I should be doing? I am at the gym 4-5x a week, mainly weight-training.

I understand that these are extremely broad questions and topics, but maybe we can get a collection of suggestions, youtube clips, and some personal experiences coming back to the game we love.

Thank you all!

...clip of my son skating after a couple of months on skates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8IKYYVdQkg

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
SouthpawTRK

#1. I would say that have you and your son get comfortable working on your edges; I mean a huge chunk of time is spent skating in a game and very little when it comes to stickhandling and shooting. Here's a link for a DVD set that has a lot of drills for anyone that is looking to improve: http://www.amazon.com/Team-Canada-Sk.../dp/B000H5VAE8

#2. With stick and puck it would be good to work on shooting, stickhandling, passing while keeping your head up. Perhaps buy a few of those weighted pucks (http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=IHWP) which can help with stickhandling and shooting (I would not recommend slap shots; mostly wrist shots).

#3. For dryland training I'd either get a skill board to practice shooting and stickhandling (http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HSPP34), or perhaps a green biscuit (http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=GB) for stickhandling/passing drills on standard pavement. Going to the gym is great, but make sure that you do some plyometrics to work on your core and to get more flexibility in your hips. Also work on the treadmill/stationary bike on speed burst drills to help mimic a typical shift on the ice (where your heart rate goes from low to high in a short period of time).

Hopefully this helps! Forgot to mention, but that is an awesome video of your son!!!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Lososaurus

I'd say to practice balance/instability workouts off-ice. Like 1-leg squats or elevated pushups. I hear bosu balls are great for balance as well.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
AIREAYE

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1091905

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
SiberianBull

Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah - after a few days on the forums I realized that I should have probably posted in the noob thread or broken down the stickies or before posting

Nonetheless, thanks for everyone's input!

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Pretty good advice given so far.

I started playing again after nearly 15 years off.

Biggest struggle was skating which I was never great at but all those muscles you only use for skating were well out of shape.

I would highly recommend getting a BOSU ball or stability board and spend some time on that.

You can even do light weight training on it or stickhandling to really challenge your balance and motor skills and at the same time strengthening you not-so-used muscles.

All so would recommend doing hockey style plyometrics as was mentioned. Some agility drills will really help.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote