HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF Game 2: Caps at Rangers 730 PM at MSG

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

vCash: 500
Wise from WaPo:

... Winning is the greatest deodorant in sports, but it doesn’t cover up all the stench of percolating inner conflict on a team. Eventually, Old School Ontario vs. The Russian Machine will boil over.

It could come after a shift, a practice or a series loss. If Hunter wants to remain as coach — and that’s certainly no guarantee — it better come after the Capitals stun the NHL and raise the Stanley Cup as a seventh seed in June; because that’s the only way Hunter ultimately wins that war.

Really, how long can you win hockey games without your alleged best player being an offensive force for an entire game? How long can the Caps last if their highest-paid player has yet to completely buy into a system that every one else on the roster has bought into?

Ovechkin is not happy about it. To his credit, he has yet to start pouting, which is napalm in the locker room right now.

Every time Hunter is asked about Ovechkin’s lack of playing time, he attributes it to “line matching.” But when Ovechkin’s linemates take more shifts and get more ice time, Hunter is politically correct and does not answer the question.

We’ll answer it for him: he doesn’t trust Ovechkin to be defensively responsible when the Capitals are protecting a lead. That’s got to be the answer. Or Hunter really believes Ovi the Decoy is a great strategy. ...

Old
04-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Corey Masisak ‏ @cmasisak22
#Caps Ovechkin has played 17:01 or less in 4 of the past 6 games. His team is 4-0 when he doesn't reach 17:02 and 0-2 when he does.
Ovechkin had the highest TOI of the three goal scorers, too.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
If it was a dive I won't have any problem saying so, but I need to see it.

And yes Alzner-Carlson has been fabulous all playoffs. Really hope they get locked up long term.
Yeah I think actually I have to take it back on that one. I still haven't seen another replay, but I just saw Richards' interview in which he basically admits he "reacted" to Carlson skating by and that he can't take that kind of penalty, so it seems pretty clear that there was a penalty there.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
All praise to Matt Hendricks for the sweet between the legs backwards wrister that Chim swats and banks in to the Rag net.

Hendricks has played excellent hockey lately. I didn't think he had this in him.

Thought it was Beagle.. but in any case, no complaints about that line. Chimmer has continued his great year in these playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Corey Masisak ‏ @cmasisak22
#Caps Ovechkin has played 17:01 or less in 4 of the past 6 games. His team is 4-0 when he doesn't reach 17:02 and 0-2 when he does.
Ouch, lol.

Well, I'd still like to see more creativity either giving Ovi double shifts against different defensemen, or more time with Backstrom/MJ. In the last series, you had Ovi matching the physicality of Chara/Seidenberg, and then Backstrom's line was getting chances. But I'm not really seeing Backstrom/Semin/Johansson get much so far in this series. I'd vary those lines..

Old
04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

DH on limitd time for 8:

"The one thing is that he has been real fresh for the power play."

Old
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
IafrateOvie34

Very happy with the win. Can't stand the last minute of the game though. Too much on the stress level, lol.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
DH on limitd time for 8:

"The one thing is that he has been real fresh for the power play."
it's hard to tell with Hunter what's real and what's not. sometimes he gives throwaway, half-a**ed explanations which don't hold up under scrutiny. like pointing to someone's plus-minus, when there are 10 players with a worse plus-minus. or telling erskine (or was it schultz) that he was playing with "too much energy" prior to his stint as healthy scratch.

but other times, Hunter is right on the money. i think he may have a point about Ovie being fresh for PP. #8 was absolutely gassed by the end of games last year, especially on PPs where he was repeatedly skating back to chase down puck in our end. not only was he less of a goal-scoring threat when he was gassed like that, but he was much more of a puck-giveaway threat.

however, i would also point out to DH that after 8's most recent two goals, he has played the next shift or two with extreme energy and momentum and focus. i do wish DH would at least acknowledge that, and see whether we can squeeze a second goal out of the Ovie eruption, instead of reverting instantly to our trademark Turtle Wax DH Game Closing System.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:46 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddysPub View Post
Dude, I don't think I've ever hated a commercial more. I've tried thinking about it and I can't come up with a single commercial that makes me legitimately angry every time I see it. Worst part is that it's played every commercial break.
I mute that commercial every time it is on.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:48 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Ovechkin is only behind Backstrom and Laich for TOI/G among forwards. Laich gets 3min/game of PK duty and Backstrom is... Backstrom.

The Caps are further into the playoffs than they've been so far this millenium.

Give it a rest.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:51 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Yeah I think actually I have to take it back on that one. I still haven't seen another replay, but I just saw Richards' interview in which he basically admits he "reacted" to Carlson skating by and that he can't take that kind of penalty, so it seems pretty clear that there was a penalty there.
Even if he did dive, that's part of the game now unfortunately. Even the most stand up NHL'ers do it in todays game. I think cally plays the game with respect but he looked like he got shot with a bazooka when semin tapped his leg. Caps took advantage of key mistakes.
Like I said in the main board this is like a chess match I'm loving this series.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:04 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I mute that commercial every time it is on.
Me too, but it comes with subtitles. No escape.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post

Give it a rest.
No. We went to Game 7 of round two in 2009. lost to Penguins in Game 7, and they went on to win the Cup.

But i agree with your overall message. We're doing great, why complain? Certainly beats getting swept last year by the Bolts in second round.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
That's all that needs to be posted in the next GDT.
It shall be the rangers version of Alzner's crybaby taunt.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
i dont think that is true. this is the second round with 1 win. caps have had 3 wins in the second round this millenium.

there is no question that playing sitting ovechkin on the bench that much is going to be a distraction. you cant avoid it. they won the game. great. if they win this round, even better.

if dale is going to keep ovechkin on the bench once the team gets a lead until they lose the lead, its not going to be good for the long term. better hope they win it all this season.

so, yea...lets not complain about ov playing 3rd/4th line minutes when they win. lets also acknowledge that THIS will be the main topic of media conversation from here to game 3 and its not a positive. beyond that, ov is being a team guy and wants to win, but realize that if this continues that ov is either going to become a defense first player or going to ask for a trade. him sitting on the bench is not helpful for the long term viability of ovechkin on the capitals.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
No. We went to Game 7 of round two in 2009. lost to Penguins in Game 7, and they went on to win the Cup.

But i agree with your overall message. We're doing great, why complain? Certainly beats getting swept last year by the Bolts in second round.
Right. A pat of butter must have lodged itself in the part of my brain responsible for those memories. Thanks.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Nevermind

Old
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I agree with Tex here. I don't think it would work long-term.

But screw it, for now, let's take this ride as far as we can. I guess DH , like the Lord, works in mysterious ways.

Even though I don't see as DH as the smartest guy in the world, i think he himself may come to realize that such a radical reduction of 8's minutes is turning into THE story about the team and becoming a distraction.

Also, DH did say something after the game to the effect of: 'Every game's different. Some games he'll get more ice, some he'll get less.'

Now, when 8 finally works his way down to healthy scratch, then we'll know the DH-AO honeymoon is truly over.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:35 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
You guys think there's gonna be a Ovi chant 8 at the phone booth?

Old
05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
txpd

basically what dale is saying is that if the caps score a 1st period goal for a lead, he doesnt need ov unless the game is tied.

if they are behind, he plays. hunter's use of ov in tied games is saying that he doesnt trust ovechkin and with a lead doesnt want him.

i guess what i am saying is that these wins are great, but with this coaching they are very expensive. dale could effectively be running is top end talent off the team.

maybe this is coming from george. you could make a case that he is saying this is a fish or cut bait season. either he keeps 8, 28 and 52 or he doesnt. you can see that 19s numbers are shrinking too.

maybe blowing it up isnt that far off if they lose this round.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Can we get a "we're still louder" chant going at the booth wed night?

Old
05-01-2012, 01:00 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
basically what dale is saying is that if the caps score a 1st period goal for a lead, he doesnt need ov unless the game is tied.

if they are behind, he plays. hunter's use of ov in tied games is saying that he doesnt trust ovechkin and with a lead doesnt want him.

i guess what i am saying is that these wins are great, but with this coaching they are very expensive. dale could effectively be running is top end talent off the team.

maybe this is coming from george. you could make a case that he is saying this is a fish or cut bait season. either he keeps 8, 28 and 52 or he doesnt. you can see that 19s numbers are shrinking too.

the questioning of Ovechkin is turning into a monster onto itself......be it the media, fans or management......he is solely responsible for reviving hockey in Washington, remains a star in the league despite 2 sub par seasons.....personally I`m tired of the guy being beaten by the media, especially in Canada and I`m friggin Canadian. I`ve been a Caps fan for 31 years and he`s by far my favourite player....yeah he frustrates the hell out of me at times, but this public flogging of his talent and will is really getting pathetic....I`m not saying you`re doing that in your post txpd.......I`m just generalizing.....especially after watching the CBC feed of the game....it was brutal.....I hope the Caps can win it all, obviously for us long suffering Caps fans but especially for him, so he can shut everyone up once and for all.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:39 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Honestly I think DH is the short-timer, not the top-end talent guys. I'm not sure he wants to come back.

Quote:
i don't think this is GMGM's handiwork. I think this is just how Hunter coaches. I think GMGM was speaking the truth when he said 'I don't know how we did it' after Boston series.

Quote:
Holmgren certainly blew up his team for much lesser infractions. For chrissake, the Flyers had been to game 6 of Cup Finals 14 months earlier, and he was already shipping off richards and carter.

And yet it worked. At least it appears so far to have worked. Would be interesting storyline if PHI winds up in finals v. Carter & Richards.

Anyway, that's a GM with guts - holmgren.

Last edited by troyerlaw: 05-01-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old
05-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Thought it was Beagle.. but in any case, no complaints about that line. Chimmer has continued his great year in these playoffs.

Chimera has been great. The forward corps, along with the Holtby, has been great about staying within themselves; not trying to do too much. Semin has done a few goofy things but he is Semin--it's gonna happen.

The D has played smart for whole games at a time but tonight I thought I saw the frayed seam where catastrophic unravelling happens. MSG is a tough building to play in--maybe DH and JJ can tighten down the D before Wed.

No complaints otherwise*: Ward (!), Knubes, Hendricks, Chimmy, Beastle, Mojo, even Laich...they've all been doing well.

*I never saw Aucoin tonight. He's been ok (not awful, not good) when I've seen him. I think he has some O to give yet. Beastle might be dinged up. I saw Laich take and lose a key faceoff with Beastle on his wing. Laich has made some Wideman-esque gaffes but, as Locker would say, Laich is "Even Steven" with gaffes and goals for. I'll take the status quo for Laich rather than him try to "elevate"--I don't want what's behind Curtain #3.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Halpysback

Carter brought nothing to Philly when it mattered and the return they got was ridiculous. Richards is nowhere near the player Ovechkin is, had significant off ice issues and was on his way to turning into a 60 point 5'11 guy who plays way beyond his size and gets horribly worn down as a result. And the value they got for him actually approximates him as a player if not surpasses him. 1 for 1 I'd rather have Schenn simply because I feel Richards is gonna fall off the map in his 30s when the wear and tear catches up to him.

Sometimes you can make those trades and come out on top, with Ovechkin I doubt we could get the pieces that would make it us better enough to be worth absorbing the PR holocaust (Backes+Pietrangelo+Oshie type return is what I'd be looking for if it came to that).

Old
05-01-2012, 02:15 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Well, and DC is not the hockey town PHI is, frankly. Less franchise success, historically, and more dependent on single player, Ovechkin, to sell tickets and keep the city interested. Believe me, I have no desire ever to see 8 or 19 ever wear anythingother than a Caps sweater. I was just responding to the line of thought in txpd's post - the suggestion that maybe GMGM sees this as last shot for the so-called Young Guns and would be okay with shipping them out or at least seriously alienating them under the new DH draconian TOI rationing system.

I don't want Ovie traded. I don't think he will be.

I was just using PHI as a counterpoint and comparison.

Closed Thread