HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cheap skate problems

Old
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
steev182

vCash: 500
Cheap skate problems

I admit, I got really cheap CCM Rapides when I decided I wanted to learn to skate. I used them often on my own at Bryant Park over the winter and from February to April on beginner skating lessons.

Now, they feel ok, my feet don't move in them providing I lace them properly, but I find that the soles of my feet hurt a little right above where the blades are and I feel them being very flexible side to side around my ankles.

I got them because it was free to skate at the park but they charged $14 for skate rental and I knew I wanted to skate as often as I could there, $50 seemed like a fair amount when I wasn't sure if I'd want to get deeper into it.

Anyway, I think the best thing for me would to get some better skates soon, any advice on some skates for a heavy guy that are maybe $200 max?

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
I admit, I got really cheap CCM Rapides when I decided I wanted to learn to skate. I used them often on my own at Bryant Park over the winter and from February to April on beginner skating lessons.

Now, they feel ok, my feet don't move in them providing I lace them properly, but I find that the soles of my feet hurt a little right above where the blades are and I feel them being very flexible side to side around my ankles.

I got them because it was free to skate at the park but they charged $14 for skate rental and I knew I wanted to skate as often as I could there, $50 seemed like a fair amount when I wasn't sure if I'd want to get deeper into it.

Anyway, I think the best thing for me would to get some better skates soon, any advice on some skates for a heavy guy that are maybe $200 max?
How heavy? If you like the fit of CCM (high volume) then the U+06s are $200. I personally wear them (225 lbs). Might also be able to get some Bauer Supremes, either the new One.6 or some 2011 One70s on clearance. Best bet is to go to a local shop and tell the associate your price point. If it's a good shop they'll work with you to get you into a properly fitting boot.

If you're superheavy, you might need to go over your price point to get into a stiffer skate. If you don't get a stiff enough boot it will end up breaking down quickly and you'll just end up having to throw good money after bad to replace them.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
I got a pair of Reebok 6k's from Hockeymonkey for $129. I am about 240 lbs. and i absolutely love these skates. Very comfortable and love the customization of the pump.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
dpixel8

buy once, cry once

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
steev182

Thanks for the advice, I'll go try those skates.
Thanks dpixel8

I got the skates when I figured going to that rink 4 times and renting skates that other people had sweated in would be more expensive than just buying these, and they served a purpose in that time.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill23 View Post
I got a pair of Reebok 6k's from Hockeymonkey for $129. I am about 240 lbs. and i absolutely love these skates. Very comfortable and love the customization of the pump.
+1 for the 6k's. Got the same deal on hockey-monkey and they are great. The pump is awesome and i don't think i would buy skates without the lace lock now that i have used it.

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
+1 for the 6k's. Got the same deal on hockey-monkey and they are great. The pump is awesome and i don't think i would buy skates without the lace lock now that i have used it.
I'm debating on getting some Reeboks. My main problem is there is no where near me that sells them so I can't try them on. I would have to order them blind.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I'm debating on getting some Reeboks. My main problem is there is no where near me that sells them so I can't try them on. I would have to order them blind.
http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=SKRBK

Free return shipping on skates, so you can try on different skates and send them back if they don't work. Buy a t-shirt from them too to get a membership.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
steev182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I don't know if there's a Dick's Sporting Goods (I don't know why I still find that funny, I'm 26 for crying out loud! Plus they own the domain name dicks.com, which may seem like an NSFW name to type) near you, but they are selling 6Ks, I was looking at them the other day thinking they looked nice.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM
AIREAYE

That is a good pricepoint to be at for a heavier set guy skating often. Get what fits the best obviously. Happy hunting.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
steev182

Thanks! Hopefully that weight is going to fall away with some diet and exercise changes I'm making Although I doubt I'll ever be skinny, I'll just be happy if I can wear size 36 jeans comfortably and be playing in some kind of hockey league in 6 to 9 months...