HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Westgarth be back next year, sent to Manchester, or bought out?

Old
04-29-2012, 03:04 PM
ninetynine*

vCash: 500
Will Westgarth be back next year, sent to Manchester, or bought out?

He has 2 years at a $725k cap hit remaining.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Probably kept on the roster for the odd occasion we may need him, but thankfully the days of the goons playing regularly are over in the NHL.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Wouldn't be surprised if Westgarth gets sent to Manchester. Sutter barely played him, and Manchester could use his size, with Azevedo, Kozun, O'Neill, and Weal expected to be regulars.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
KBA4life

With Clifford and Nolan seeing consistent ice time the need for Westgarth dwindles. Wasn't Clune playing center for stretches in Manchester this year? That would be a damn fun 4th line to watch next year

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Probably kept on the roster for the odd occasion we may need him, but thankfully the days of the goons playing regularly are over in the NHL.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

will probably be kept on as the 14th forward just for times where a heavy may need to be used in the reg season. Its better to have him sitting in the press box 75 games a year, than 1 of the kids

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
So you would rather watch staged fights at the expense of good hockey like we have seen from our 4th line.

With the cap and the parity it has created you can no longer kill a line by having guys like Ivanans and Westgarth playing regularly.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think he'll be back as a spare forward. Better to have him sit as a spare forward as opposed to having a young player sit. It's better for the younger guys to develop their game and get ice time in Manchester than to just take part in practice with the occasional game with limited ice time.

Westgarth knows his role and he accepts it. He probably will see 40-50 or so games and will be around in case there is a body that is banged up or the Kings need more muscle depending on the matchup.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Wooty

I don't think Westgarth is very high on the depth chart but he worked to be a better player and be part of the actual game that involved the puck.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He's a spare forward. He isn't THAT bad, could be Ivanans... I have zero problems whatsoever about having Westgarth around the team for the next few years. He is a great character, good for the locker room, serves a limited role and can step in on the fourth line. Should be near last on our list of worries.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He's a spare forward. He isn't THAT bad, could be Ivanans... I have zero problems whatsoever about having Westgarth around the team for the next few years. He is a great character, good for the locker room, serves a limited role and can step in on the fourth line. Should be near last on our list of worries.
I'd rather bring in Cliche the 14th forward next year. He is an AHL vet, nothing left to prove there, got speed, fights, very good defensively, captain of the Monarchs(leadership, good in the the room implied), can play all 3 forward spots, etc. I'd rather have a versatile guy in that role, rather than a plug who needs to be sheltered and is only good for staged fights. There is just not that many teams that even use a heavy weight anymore.

I'd bury Westgarth, let him take Justin Johnson's spot next year in Manchester and then release him the year after.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I'd rather bring in Cliche the 14th forward next year. He is an AHL vet, nothing left to prove there, got speed, fights, very good defensively, captain of the Monarchs(leadership, good in the the room implied), can play all 3 forward spots, etc. I'd rather have a versatile guy in that role, rather than a plug who needs to be sheltered and is only good for staged fights. There is just not that many teams that even use a heavy weight anymore.

I'd bury Westgarth, let him take Justin Johnson's spot next year in Manchester and then release him the year after.
Lombardi still believes in the enforcer position. I would assume Sutter does, but it is obvious he cares about it less than Murray did as he hasn't used him since he got injured and Sutter seems to be making a conscious effort to stay up to date with the modern NHL and adapting his style to fit. Either way. Westgarth, while not a threat or defensive stalwart, is far from a large liability. Stupid penalties can be kept to a minimum, but we re-signed him this year to a good long deal. I doubt any feelings have changed in the past couple of months to make Lombardi want to cancel this deal or get rid of him. I think his locker room presence is most important. The team likes him and he is the last true enforcer on the team. All we have outside of him is a couple scrappers, only one player on the entire team that has any semblance of fighting ability (Nolan).

Old
04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
onlyalad

Westgarth and his buddy Parros will be sitting in a pressbox somewhere in the NHL.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
So you would rather watch staged fights at the expense of good hockey like we have seen from our 4th line.

With the cap and the parity it has created you can no longer kill a line by having guys like Ivanans and Westgarth playing regularly.
I know I would.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:

So he can waste away in the press box...

Old
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Lombardi still believes in the enforcer position. I would assume Sutter does, but it is obvious he cares about it less than Murray did as he hasn't used him since he got injured and Sutter seems to be making a conscious effort to stay up to date with the modern NHL and adapting his style to fit. Either way. Westgarth, while not a threat or defensive stalwart, is far from a large liability. Stupid penalties can be kept to a minimum, but we re-signed him this year to a good long deal. I doubt any feelings have changed in the past couple of months to make Lombardi want to cancel this deal or get rid of him. I think his locker room presence is most important. The team likes him and he is the last true enforcer on the team. All we have outside of him is a couple scrappers, only one player on the entire team that has any semblance of fighting ability (Nolan).
Cliffords not bad, although i'd rather see him try to develop into more of a power forward than an enforcer.

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Cliffords not bad, although i'd rather see him try to develop into more of a power forward than an enforcer.
Clifford is horrible. He is light and tries to be a heavy and fails miserably in the process. The only thing he can fight is a cold. His worst attribute is that he doesn't defend himself at all. He is all offense and doesn't even try to not get punched in the face. If he keeps this up, I predict his career will be over prior to age 30, or at the most he will become a 2 point per year filler fourth line scratch.

Old
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
damacles1156

I think the Kings are past having players like Westy around. It's not enough to just be a guy in the locker room for the Kings.

You have to contribute on the ice. His roster spot would be better served for a player like Clune or Cliche. Sutter can't use him, I mean really can Westy get to any pucks, can he PK, Can he provide speed ?

The Kings will add speed in the off season to help this aggressive style Sutter uses.

Westy didn't even play more than 10 games for Sutter.....

Look How long Brad Richardson was out of the lineup..... Westy doesn't have a shot with Sutter.

Last edited by damacles1156: 04-29-2012 at 08:41 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
CNS
A World Alone

I hope he's bought out. I had high expectations after Ivanans and since Westgarth scored like 11 goals in an AHL season so I thought he'd be able to at least score a few goals over the season. He just really isn't a good hockey player. Certainly a step up over Ivanans but we just don't need him and right now he's eating up a roster space. Next year I'd much rather see a player from the AHL like Cliche carried on the roster over him.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
So he can waste away in the press box...
Cliche is 25 years old with 5 years experience in the AHL. He does alot of things right, but he is not a young prospect needing playing time. He is the perfect 14th forward, IMO, playing 30-50 games on the 3rd/4th lines (depending on injuries). He has been captain of the Monarchs the last two years and was a captain in junior with Lewiston as well., so obviously has character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I think the Kings are past having players like Westy around. It's not enough to just be a guy in the locker room for the Kings.

You have to contribute on the ice. His roster spot would be better served for a player like Clune or Cliche. Sutter can't use him, I mean really can Westy get to any pucks, can he PK, Can he provide speed ?

The Kings will add speed in the off season to help this aggressive style Sutter uses.

Westy didn't even play more than 10 games for Sutter.....

Look How long Brad Richardson was out of the lineup..... Westy doesn't have a shot with Sutter.
Yeah...wait what? Clune is the worst player I have ever seen play for the Kings, complete useless crap. And I was here during the entire John Zeiler era... The sooner Clune is out of the organization the happier I will be.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:04 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Clifford is horrible. He is light and tries to be a heavy and fails miserably in the process. The only thing he can fight is a cold. His worst attribute is that he doesn't defend himself at all. He is all offense and doesn't even try to not get punched in the face. If he keeps this up, I predict his career will be over prior to age 30, or at the most he will become a 2 point per year filler fourth line scratch.
Thats a bit unfair. I think he needs to pick his opponents a little better and his D could do with some work, but Westy always used to look like he was gonna get his bell rung, all O and no D . Clifford looked great until he got tagged by Reaves. Like I said, i'd rather he focussed more on becoming a power forward than a goon, but he has the ability to scrap quite well. He's beaten some tough guys

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2011

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Cliche is 25 years old with 5 years experience in the AHL. He does alot of things right, but he is not a young prospect needing playing time. He is the perfect 14th forward, IMO, playing 30-50 games on the 3rd/4th lines (depending on injuries). He has been captain of the Monarchs the last two years and was a captain in junior with Lewiston as well., so obviously has character.

Yeah...wait what? Clune is the worst player I have ever seen play for the Kings, complete useless crap. And I was here during the entire John Zeiler era... The sooner Clune is out of the organization the happier I will be.
Regardless, a player that can be used needs to be in that roster spot.

I don't care who it is, Just not another Goon. Cliche would be a good depth forward like Drewskie is on the D. Injuries are going to happen, That roster spot needs to be open to a player Sutter can use in this system.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Thats a bit unfair. I think he needs to pick his opponents a little better and his D could do with some work, but Westy always used to look like he was gonna get his bell rung, all O and no D . Clifford looked great until he got tagged by Reaves. Like I said, i'd rather he focussed more on becoming a power forward than a goon, but he has the ability to scrap quite well. He's beaten some tough guys

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2011
Clifford looks like some little kid getting punished every time he fights now. He was tenacious at first, now he has gotten his skull pounded to mush. He is an embarrassing fighter. There is a big difference between Westgarth taking a punch and Clifford getting his skull caved in. He doesn't have the weight, strength, or instinct to be an effective fighter. I can only hope they instruct him to not fight anymore, which they won't, but I can only hope. It is just downright painful to watch him get his ass beat every single time he drops the gloves now. Has he even won a fight this year? I would wager that Martin St. Louis could kick his ass any day any time.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:13 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Clifford looks like some little kid getting punished every time he fights now. He was tenacious at first, now he has gotten his skull pounded to mush. He is an embarrassing fighter. There is a big difference between Westgarth taking a punch and Clifford getting his skull caved in. He doesn't have the weight, strength, or instinct to be an effective fighter. I can only hope they instruct him to not fight anymore, which they won't, but I can only hope. It is just downright painful to watch him get his ass beat every single time he drops the gloves now. Has he even won a fight this year? I would wager that Martin St. Louis could kick his ass any day any time.
Clifford has had an underwhelming season, but now you are just being a hater.

Give the Kind some time to change his game. The Kings have already asked him to do more on the ice.

I don't think Clifford needs to fight anymore anyway. Fraser seems to get his message across pretty well without having to drop em.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Clifford has had an underwhelming season, but now you are just being a hater.

Give the Kind some time to change his game. The Kings have already asked him to do more on the ice.

I don't think Clifford needs to fight anymore anyway. Fraser seems to get his message across pretty well without having to drop em.
I love Clifford's game outside of dropping the gloves. Just pointing out that the bottom line is that a random fan from the stands could kick his ass. Especially now that he has a history of concussions. He should absolutely be barred from ever fighting again. I will admit that I absolutely HATE watching him drop the gloves. I have even before his first concussion. He even admits that he purposefully puts himself at risk, doesn't care, and won't stop getting punched in the face. It borders on one of the biggest acts of idiocy I have ever witnessed. There is scrapping for the team once in a while like Simmonds did and then there is throwing yourself off a cliff in order to act tough in front of no one who cares or is intimidated, and for very little purpose whatsoever. He has been known to take heavy enforcer show fights out of no where, getting his ass kicked when there is no cause/call for momentum. It is just pure mindlessness. The job needs to be left to Westgarth.

Last edited by Telos: 04-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.