HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Post: Toronto Marlies defenceman Stuart Percy full of pleasant surprises

Old
04-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Dayjobdave

vCash: 500
I think it is great that Percy is getting some serious pro experience in the playoffs. This will serve him well when he's (probably) back in Junior next year, and in the years to come.

It's all about development.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I meant he will utilize his year of junior then half a season to a season (or more) of AHL if he keeps progressing and maturing well.
That is exactly what I meant . I believe a year and a half, one year in the Juniors and then in the AHL for seasoning.

05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Today's Star article mentions that Blacker has been cleared to play. This may mean that Percy will be knocked back to the sidelines for the Abbottsford series. The only defenseman I'd see Percy bumping is Mikus.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I think they should let Percy play over Mikus. He's a steady D-man to pair with either Gardiner or Blacker, that allows them to open up, and play their favoured aggressive styles.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Do people really think Holzer is a top 4 d-man? I haven't seen much of him, but I remember watching him last season and didn't think he had "omg such amazing upside, top 4 for sure" kind of a ceiling?

Major transformation?

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Do people really think Holzer is a top 4 d-man? I haven't seen much of him, but I remember watching him last season and didn't think he had "omg such amazing upside, top 4 for sure" kind of a ceiling?

Major transformation?
Best defensive defenceman on the best defensive team in the AHL and a prospect not a veteran.

Not good enough for you?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:27 PM
416Leafer

Quote:

Major transformation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Best defensive defenceman on the best defensive team in the AHL and a prospect not a veteran.

Not good enough for you?
He's NHL ready, that doesn't mean he's a "Top 4" guy. Percy has a higher potential than Holzer, that doesn't mean Percy is more ready for the NHL than Holzer is.

Holzer should be a decent bottom pairing guy and probably get 2nd unit PK time. But he's not expected to come in and be this great NHL shutdown D or anything.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:

Major transformation?
im pretty sure leafs mangement see holzer for what he is- a consistant defense 1st bottom pairing defenseman who takes the body hard. he basically seems like a schenn clone but given proper development time and managed expectations.

im fairly confident that whatever schenn and komisarek can do holzer can do as well at a fraction of the cost. i think thats the key. its fine to be a bottom pairing defenseman. teams need those just like they need bottom 6 forwards.

even though a lot of people are against moving schenn i think if holzer proves that he can play in the nhl then schenn should be moved for offensive help. the way i see it schenn will be a 4th-6th defenseman on the leafs if he is lucky. at $3.6 million it is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

the emergence of percy is even more reason to consider moving schenn. he can develop with the marlies for 2 more years and then hopefully make the leap after the 2nd year, the same time that komisareks contract expires.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Interactif

Blacker and Percy both have to play, even if it is to sacrifice a game. The AHL is a developmental league for prospects. I don't know who sits, but perhaps Mueller should sit out and we dress 7 Defenceman.

Blacker and Percy may be big for us in the NHL playoffs in a year? Or 2? This is valuable experience they can gain.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote