HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johansen's role next year

Old
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I may have posted this in here; I don't remember and I never pass up the opportunity to re-post my prior thoughts anyway.

All of the following players scored less than 25 points in their 18- or 19-year-old season in the NHL (since 1990-91).

Stephen Weiss
Scott Hartnell
Shane Doan
Tyler Seguin
Kyle Turris
Justin Williams
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Petr Nedved
Owen Nolan
Nathan Horton
Joe Thornton
Alexander Semin
Adam Deadmarsh
Jeff Friesen
Ryan Smyth
Dustin Brown
Ryan Kesler
Keith Tkachuk
Pavol Demitra
Adam Graves
Olli Jokinen

Tangible? Ask Patrick Kane.
Patrick Kane has insight into the alleged attitude issues of Ryan Johansen? I'm pretty sure they were talking about RyJo not rookies in general.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Patrick Kane has insight into the alleged attitude issues of Ryan Johansen? I'm pretty sure they were talking about RyJo not rookies in general.
So when did Ryan Johansen beat up a cabbie over 10 cents?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

Zee hockey player? Tell me, how do you score from the left side?!?

Last edited by leesmith: 05-14-2012 at 07:05 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Watching practice, watching off-ice situations, listening to people who are closer to the team than you or I are.
You have more BS than Carter has liver pills, so tell us who those people are that are in your words "listening to people who are closer to the team than you or I are."[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Robert: 05-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I was doing some searching, and found this interview with Jason Bonsignore. He was 4th overall in 1994, and never quite panned out in the NHL. He was there for Edmonton's decline period and into the turmoil of a possible move to Houston, so...

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...edmonton_down/

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I was doing some searching, and found this interview with Jason Bonsignore. He was 4th overall in 1994, and never quite panned out in the NHL. He was there for Edmonton's decline period and into the turmoil of a possible move to Houston, so...

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...edmonton_down/
That's a very interesting article and brings up a point.

RyJo was here last year because he wasn't old enough for the AHL. He did play well at the start of the season, but he was playing against men. Lots of people (including Vinny) wore down as the season progressed. He would have been what, a sophomore in college last year? He might be ready if he does what I read, gains weight and muscle, but next year Springfield is an option, and we should use it.

He's a top six center and needs to play that position either here or in Springfield.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:38 AM
redsfanhere2*

trade him to edmonton for 1st pick and a prospect

redsfanhere2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:41 AM
redsfanhere2*

trade him to toronto for their 1st and gardiner

redsfanhere2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Johansen is center right? A position that requires years of experience to grasp regardless of the league..

He was caught in the grey zone this past season, too good for the jrs but arguably not good enough for the NHL, yet not allowed to play in the developmental AHL professional league based on rules for one reason, to support the jr system...

Give the kid a few years... he has the goods he just needs a few years to gain experience, trading him now would be like having an abortion.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:44 PM
coachwithoutahead

All the turmoil surrounding the franchise this season and Johansen still scored at a .3 ppg clip as a 19 year old, playing out of position none the less. This is no worse than what Seguin did his first year and he was on a stable contender. I think if JJ, DD, RJU and VP can right the leader-ship(sorry) and give him some good guidance, he has a chance to be develop into a top line center within a couple years. If he comes in stronger and faster like he should, he's got a chance to grab one of the top two center spots this year. Personally, if he comes in top shape, I'd stick him with Vinny and someone with some grit, maybe Dors. Sort of similar to his line dynamics in Portland and it would give him a chance to learn from 2 guys who leave their heart out there on the ice.

coachwithoutahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
why was johansen drafted you ask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5Wu0aEnRk

To me he almost reminds me of nash or a thorton. Hes definitely got some speed when he wants it, mix that with his reach and scoring ability (if developed right) could lead to a very talented player. But its all about how they develop him and surround him with. Imagine him with yakupov and aktinson. . .

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
See Voracek, Brassard, Brule, Filatov, etc... These guys were put in top line slots without "earning it".

IMO this is a big problem with CBJ development. Make the kids earn it. Let Johansen work his way to the top lines and not have to face top defensive pairings, etc, right out of the gate. Jake is thriving in his relative obscurity in Philly. This is a great way to develop players.

Not every rookie (see Couturier) can shut down Malkin when they are 19 yrs old.
Thriving is scoring the exact same amount of points this year compared to last year?

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:43 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
why was johansen drafted you ask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5Wu0aEnRk

To me he almost reminds me of nash or a thorton. Hes definitely got some speed when he wants it, mix that with his reach and scoring ability (if developed right) could lead to a very talented player. But its all about how they develop him and surround him with. Imagine him with yakupov and aktinson. . .
For his passing/vision, he was compared to Thornton/H. Sedin.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
EspenK

So if RyJo isn't ready for prime time, who is the jackets #2 center? Or for that matter if he sticks with the big club but is a 4th liner or such.

Letestu? Prospal? And if Letestu is 2nd who is 3rd?

Barring getting someone like Pavelski in a trade, he better be ready.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
So if RyJo isn't ready for prime time, who is the jackets #2 center? Or for that matter if he sticks with the big club but is a 4th liner or such.

Letestu? Prospal? And if Letestu is 2nd who is 3rd?

Barring getting someone like Pavelski in a trade, he better be ready.
Brassard?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
EspenK

Brassard is #1 and #2 is ?

Old
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Brassard is #1 and #2 is ?

Whoever wins the job in camp. It might be Ryjo. Might be someone new. Might be Test Tube. Nothing against him, but I hope it's not him.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I fully expect Howson to trade Nash for a top 6 center to fill our that spot. This sort of leaves Johansen in a gray zone again, not the way I'd like to develop him. If he comes out and OVER impresses Richards in camp, which seems difficult with Richards, he could make the team. Most likely I think he goes to the AHL to properly develop. This I think would be for the best.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I fully expect Howson to trade Nash for a top 6 center to fill our that spot. This sort of leaves Johansen in a gray zone again, not the way I'd like to develop him. If he comes out and OVER impresses Richards in camp, which seems difficult with Richards, he could make the team. Most likely I think he goes to the AHL to properly develop. This I think would be for the best.
So if johan goes to the ahl to develop imagine next year if Atkinson continues to develop at the potential hes shown plus either yakupov/forsberg after a year in nhl or anotheyear or two developing in forsbergs case. But imagine the potential of that line. Or if we trade nash for another top 5 pick I think johansen could flourish surrounded by a couple other young studs. It gives the whole organization a revamp.

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfanhere2* View Post
trade him to toronto for their 1st and gardiner
Lesser player/prospect than Gards but sure for the idea. 1st+ for RyJo.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
So if johan goes to the ahl to develop imagine next year if Atkinson continues to develop at the potential hes shown plus either yakupov/forsberg after a year in nhl or anotheyear or two developing in forsbergs case. But imagine the potential of that line. Or if we trade nash for another top 5 pick I think johansen could flourish surrounded by a couple other young studs. It gives the whole organization a revamp.
Atkinson is just getting started at 22 but he's showing great promise to be a regular top six forward in the NHL, he has a nose for the net and IS a bright spot in the CBJ future; as I hope Johansen is as well in time.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Doug19

We will see with Atkinson. Calvert looked pretty good last year as well, I trust CBJ youth to flourish about as far as I can throw em.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:35 AM
blahblah

Quote:

Letestu?
You needed to ask? Letestu was the obvious answer. We should look at having a back up plan. More for Brassard than Letestu. Center is where we really could use a stop gap player. Not look for "The solution". They are probably going to be patient for another year with Brassard.

As I stated in the prediction thread, I think Johnansen is going to bounce back and forth a bit with the AHL. I wouldn't go into the FA period with him penciled in with a roster spot and plan accordingly.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
We will see with Atkinson. Calvert looked pretty good last year as well, I trust CBJ youth to flourish about as far as I can throw em.
They played different. When Calvert quit using his break away speed, or when teams started paying attention to him, he become ineffective. Atkinson plays a far more complete game.

Having said that, I doubt we've seen the last of Calvert producing. Way too early to make career judgments on him as he can score goals at the NHL level. The question with Calvert is can his game translate to top six at the NHL level. If not can he adjust to a role player. If he can, he could be a great source of secondary scoring and give the Jackets a real threat to have three scoring lines, like they keep threatening to do.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I'm crossing my fingers he's not Calvert v1.2. I think his age and broader experience make him a more confident bet. He'll be 23 in a week.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote