HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
11-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Habsolument

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrheroz View Post
Yes i have the grades to enter either hec or mcgill or concordia. But i think concordia is better because of the coop program no? having some experience is better when searching for a job. so im not sure whats better : experience in coop ( concordia) or going in a better college ( hec) ?
Let me give you my 0.02$.

I'm a former HEC student, not in accounting though. But I do know quite a few people from my time at HEC who are now at EY, KPMG, PWC. HEC is definitely a school of accountants. It's well rated and it's well known by the big companies (they organize plenty of different recruitment events e.g cocktails). Now, I must admit that I don't know the coop program of Concordia, but I feel like it might not be that important if you want to get in one of the big accounting firms. From what I know and heard there are two things that they'll look for: your grades (3.5 GPA at least if you want good odds) and your personality during those networking events (you WILL attend). They want students that will fit their organizational culture. To improve your CV you might also want to get involved in some school committees, although that isn't specific to accounting.

On the other hand, if you aren't looking to work in a big firm, forget everything that I've just said. Coop programs are obviously great because they give you that oh-so-precious experience that is hard to come by in the beginning.

In conclusion, I don't think that you can really go wrong either way. Both schools offer good programs, each have their own strengths and "weaknesses" but you can certainly overcome said weaknesses if you want to (i.e. find internships while at HEC or get great grades at JSMB to overcome the slight reputation difference).

Habsolument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:34 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price 89 View Post
exactly, i did my first semester at marianopolis while all my friends went to dawson or vanier. I switched to dawson in my second semester. All my friends and I have graduated from accounting, engineering & finance in university. We are now all studying to get our designation whether it is to become a CFA or CPA.

The only advantage I'd give private schools is that you will probably meet better contacts for your future.
Yeah. After my first semester I hated it. I wanted to switch to Dawson, but I felt like I'd be a "failure" if I quit, so I toughed it out which turned out to be a bad decision. Very terrible 2 years of my life, and I'm not even close to studying what I studied at Marianopolis haha. I'm happier in university, so I ended up where I'd have ended up regardless of my education. The school had excellent teachers though.
I also wouldn't feel comfortable using any "contact" I met there for whatever reason, but oh well.

Also, general curiosity: What's the deal with McGill's Desautels school? I see it highly ranked as one of the best commerce schools in Canada, although I never hear of anyone who actually goes there. I have one friend who goes there, and is more or less ambivalent. And anyone I talk to speaks so highly of JMSB and HEC, although few people outside of University students/grads even know Desautels exists. Is it overrated, or is it just that its reputation is overshadowed by McGill's even more prestigious programs?

Last edited by InglewoodJack: 11-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.
InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 01:58 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Never happened, but let me know. Your internet might've messed up or something.

Has anyone ever taken Comm 222? It seems like an easy class, but I'm curious as what to expect, I feel like we haven't learned all that much.

an ever so late update but an update none the less: got an e-mail around 11am from the TA. Something somewhere close to 30 students had the same problem. Timer stopped with 30 minutes left on the clock (out of 60). they scheduled a make up period, which gave me an extra weekend to study woooo! Aced it hard.

But yeah, I was freaked out because the exam was multiple choice, 60 question in 60 minutes, open book and all. So I had gone through about 80% of the questions with about 5-6 that I was unsure about so I didn't mark anything. I went to piss and came back to a submitted exam. Yiiiiikes

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Yeah. After my first semester I hated it. I wanted to switch to Dawson, but I felt like I'd be a "failure" if I quit, so I toughed it out which turned out to be a bad decision. Very terrible 2 years of my life, and I'm not even close to studying what I studied at Marianopolis haha. I'm happier in university, so I ended up where I'd have ended up regardless of my education. The school had excellent teachers though.
I also wouldn't feel comfortable using any "contact" I met there for whatever reason, but oh well.
I feel the same way. Was not a fan of Marianopolis. Met some great people I still keep in touch with, but education-wise nothing makes it stand out apart from the great profs it had (huge, but not worth a superiority complex). People were telling me it has a more serious atmosphere...but in the end it's still a bunch of CEGEP students.

Private high schools, on the other hand, are generally a different story.

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
First week almost done in physical engineering... I taking I've taken a step in the right direction.

I've read everything already and did all the suggested exercises in the textbooks so far and I'm even in advance for my thermodynamics class.

I've also bought a new desk for my room that will be more proper to studying because it's larger and it's a L-shaped corner desk. New chair that is actually comfortable too.

I hope I can continue doing like this for the remaining of the semester. At the very least I want to get into biomed engineering or biomed sciences, with my ultimate goal being medicine.

Which school are you at right now? Since you're in Génie Physique I'd guess Polytechnique? You need at least 3.6/4 to get into med school from my experience. I got in with 3.9/4 which gave me the equivalent of a cote R of 40, my last three years I got nothing less than perfect grades in each class.

If you want a tip to really succeed in engineering, I would say to focus on understanding the theory. Doing tons of exercises will do you no good. Med school is 50% interviews, 50% grades. Grades come easily if you focus on THEORY, instead of practice. Teachers can **** you if they just tweak an exercise just enough so you lose your reference points. Focus on theory and this won't be a problem. Do sports, this will do more for your grades than about anything else you can do. Set a maximum amount of time for your studies. Learn memory tricks. Focus on MATHS and deep level understanding of concepts.

Do all of this and getting into, and finishing med school will be a breeze.

However, don't listen to people who say engineering is harder than medschool. I was the best of my year, or top3 at the very least in mec. eng. and I can safely say med school is 10x the work, 10x the competitivness and everyone is at the very least as good as I am. If you have an ego vis a vis your ease at school or if you get validation from your school grades, lose it. You will be nothing special in this program.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
Which school are you at right now? Since you're in Génie Physique I'd guess Polytechnique? You need at least 3.6/4 to get into med school from my experience. I got in with 3.9/4 which gave me the equivalent of a cote R of 40, my last three years I got nothing less than perfect grades in each class.

If you want a tip to really succeed in engineering, I would say to focus on understanding the theory. Doing tons of exercises will do you no good. Med school is 50% interviews, 50% grades. Grades come easily if you focus on THEORY, instead of practice. Teachers can **** you if they just tweak an exercise just enough so you lose your reference points. Focus on theory and this won't be a problem. Do sports, this will do more for your grades than about anything else you can do. Set a maximum amount of time for your studies. Learn memory tricks. Focus on MATHS and deep level understanding of concepts.

However, don't listen to people who say engineering is harder than medschool. I was the best of my year, or top3 at the very least in mec. eng. and I can safely say med school is 10x the work, 10x the competitivness and everyone is at the very least as good as I am. If you have an ego vis a vis your ease at school or if you get validation from your school grades, lose it. You will be nothing special in this program.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your post as my goal is also to get into medicine and my path is very similar to yours, I am currently in mechanical engineering.
However, one point I have to disagree with is with exercises. I think it depends on the person, I base my studying mostly on doing exercises and I find I am prepared for any type of question that could be asked during a midterm. Although, I agree that the importance of theory shouldn't be understated, having a healthy balance of both will be the most beneficial IMO.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your post as my goal is also to get into medicine and my path is very similar to yours, I am currently in mechanical engineering.
However, one point I have to disagree with is with exercises. I think it depends on the person, I base my studying mostly on doing exercises and I find I am prepared for any type of question that could be asked during a midterm. Although, I agree that the importance of theory shouldn't be understated, having a healthy balance of both will be the most beneficial IMO.
I used to do the same. It would take me a lot of studying time and eventually netted me a 3.8/4 average in the first quarter/third of my diloma. But then, I tried something new, and got my best grades doing very few exercises. I would understand the problem, think about the procedure needed to solve it, and compare it with the answers. It cut my studying time by 80% and I went 4/4 through my last years. My benchmarks were the previous semesters exams, those were really the only time I would do exercises from start to finish.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
I used to do the same. It would take me a lot of studying time and eventually netted me a 3.8/4 average in the first quarter/third of my diloma. But then, I tried something new, and got my best grades doing very few exercises. I would understand the problem, think about the procedure needed to solve it, and compare it with the answers. It cut my studying time by 80% and I went 4/4 through my last years. My benchmarks were the previous semesters exams, those were really the only time I would do exercises from start to finish.
Oh ok, so I think I do follow your strategy. What I do is I read through the solutions of the assigned problems to see if I know how to do the problem and the only time I actually attempt problems were past midterms/finals.

On a side note (I know this isn't a premed forum but...) do fourth year grades count? Im in my third year right now and after this semester I will be working for 8 months and so this is my last semester (with courses) during my third year. Since I will be applying this time next year, are fourth year grades important?

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Oh ok, so I think I do follow your strategy. What I do is I read through the solutions of the assigned problems to see if I know how to do the problem and the only time I actually attempt problems were past midterms/finals.

On a side note (I know this isn't a premed forum but...) do fourth year grades count? Im in my third year right now and after this semester I will be working for 8 months and so this is my last semester (with courses) during my third year. Since I will be applying this time next year, are fourth year grades important?
Only your last winter semester doesn't count since it isn't in your application. You apply before January 15th, so anything after that doesn't count.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Also, general curiosity: What's the deal with McGill's Desautels school? I see it highly ranked as one of the best commerce schools in Canada, although I never hear of anyone who actually goes there. I have one friend who goes there, and is more or less ambivalent. And anyone I talk to speaks so highly of JMSB and HEC, although few people outside of University students/grads even know Desautels exists. Is it overrated, or is it just that its reputation is overshadowed by McGill's even more prestigious programs?
IMO Desautels' reputation is that of a it's overshadowed locally (especially by med school) but once outside Quebec (or perhaps even eastern Canada) then Desautels becomes more known. For this reason I'd say that Desautels' reputation is like a donut.

Quote:

And same goes for grad school in a STEM discipline, minus, perhaps, competitiveness... but my own supervisor said that, once one got to the second half of undergrad in physics, or phys-math (that's what I actually did for undergrad) one will experience the "funnel effect" experienced from CEGEP to med school, where, like you say, people who, for the first year of undergrad, were in the top ~1/3, end up forming the bulk of those left by graduation time.

P.S.: I wonder whether a ~3.7 in phys-math could get an interview for med school or dental school. My parents are wondering whether I was really using phys-math as some backup to med or dental school... (I know that I have to get 45+ on the MCAT if I was to take the 2015 MCAT, which is equivalent to a 34+ on today's MCAT)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Let's not kid ourselves, some things aren't worth learning the theory for. Actually...a lot of things.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:00 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks man. Will call first thing in the morning.
Good luck bro.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Let's not kid ourselves, some things aren't worth learning the theory for. Actually...a lot of things.
We're talking about getting grades good enough to get into med school though, while trying to maintain a life.

Old
11-07-2013, 02:29 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
LOL this! I never studied engineering but some of my friends do and the amount of time, work and energy spent compared to med/dental school is NOT EVEN CLOSE

Edit: btw iirc Zaide you have an R score close to 33? As a ULaval universitaire if you have a great gpa this semester you have a shot at ULAVAL... You would be considered universitaire and the R score needed is not the same as a cegepien.
Told you before but I dont think you understood, Im saying that you should apply to ULaval (before january) for the 2014-2015 admission.
They are changing the rules for the 2015 admission tho (you will need 45 credits at ULaval to be considered a universitaire applicant).

Last edited by CaptainIginla: 11-07-2013 at 02:44 AM.
CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 02:33 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
P.S.: I wonder whether a ~3.7 in phys-math could get an interview for med school or dental school. My parents are wondering whether I was really using phys-math as some backup to med or dental school... (I know that I have to get 45+ on the MCAT if I was to take the 2015 MCAT, which is equivalent to a 34+ on today's MCAT)
If you speak french you dont need the MCAT for ULaval/Usherb/UdeM

You need to pass the DAT for dental school admission tho

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
FazChenyuk

Do u guys know if an aec in accounting could be useful

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
If you speak french you dont need the MCAT for ULaval/Usherb/UdeM

You need to pass the DAT for dental school admission tho
Then again I shouldn't restrict myself only to the French med schools... that's why I mentioned the MCAT in the first place.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Adamcrazy3

While you guys are talking about med school, is it possible to get accepted into medical school with an accounting degree? If yes, what GPA do you need to be considered a strong candidate?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
While you guys are talking about med school, is it possible to get accepted into medical school with an accounting degree? If yes, what GPA do you need to be considered a strong candidate?
Yes.

Depends on the school for the GPA. But a good rule of thumb is: highest you can achieve.

It'll make the whole process much easier and you won't be stressed about interviews as much.

Old
11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Yes.

Depends on the school for the GPA. But a good rule of thumb is: highest you can achieve.

It'll make the whole process much easier and you won't be stressed about interviews as much.
I'm at JMSB and I have a 4.2 GPA but barely study. I just don't think accounting is the right field for me and that's why I want to go to med school. It fits my personality better. Also, do they only care about grades? I heard that extra curricular activities are also very important at some universities.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
In short, yes, you can get into med school with an accounting degree. In a sea of applications from people with biology/healthcare (many med school rejectees will study another healthcare profession or biology in order to try their hand at med school again) backgrounds, I would likely consider an accountant for an interview, if the accountant had a 3.8+ GPA, and a 34+/45+ MCAT (most important to McGill, but I don't think it will hurt to send a score in this range to a French med school, albeit you will have to do some explaining if you elect to send a score report, if only unofficial, to one). And extracurriculars are more important to McGill than the other med schools, too.

Why 34+/45+? will you ask. It depends on when you plan on attending medical school: if you want to go to med school as soon as possible, and take the MCAT before 2015, aim for 34+; if you find out that you cannot go to med school before 2016, then aim for 45+ because you will have to take a new MCAT then. (Search MCAT 2015 on this thread and you will find a few differences between the current version and the 2015 one)

So if you maintain a 4.0+ GPA by the time your file arrives at a med school, and play your extracurricular cards right, and, if necessary, taking the right courses, then you can go to med school.

Last edited by Mathradio: 11-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old
11-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
I'm at JMSB and I have a 4.2 GPA but barely study. I just don't think accounting is the right field for me and that's why I want to go to med school. It fits my personality better. Also, do they only care about grades? I heard that extra curricular activities are also very important at some universities.

No.

The program wants people with extra-curricular because of their impact on the persons personality and leadership. They test those with the MEMs, which is from 35 to 50% of your application in french universities. Don't underestimate them, it's a common occurence to have gifted students either perform at very low level or get refused outright because of the interview process. If the jury(there's 10 different stations) finds your personality is incompatible with the profession, you're not getting in, regardless of the ranking you got for your grades.

As for personalities, there's so many different fields in med school that anyone can find something interesting to them.

A number of people in med school are OCP. It's somewhat needed, especially if you're going into internal medicine. A good understanding of concept, a solid memory, good people skills and a strong work ethic are what I've found are the basic qualities of most students. Barely studying doesn't work at that level. The vast majority of students are such strong workers and some have a solid combination of work ethic and ease which makes you stand out if you're not up to date or haven't done the work. A common myth is that it's hard to get to med school but then after that everyone makes it through.

False.

The work is hard but the students in the program can handle it. 10% of a promotion on average doesn't make it through the end. That's 1/10 that was top 3 in his program who either burns out or can't handle the workload.

So, if you're thinking of going to med school, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons, because you'll end up with 4-12hrs of study time per day, a 6 year minimum (up to 11 years) of studying before becoming an independent MD, multiple hard exams and a lot of debt. It's the hardest field to drop out of, many stay not by choice.

Last edited by Andrei79: 11-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old
11-07-2013, 06:12 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
It is calculated with the average of all the classes of a course with the same teacher. So in your example, it would be the average of all the averages of psychology classes with your teacher only.

The only program that gives an R score that I know of is ''Sciences Lettres et Art '' (gives 0.5 +). I don't know about yours.

If you have any questions about R scores don't hesistate.
Not sure you'll understand what I'm trying to say, but I'll try to articulate it as well as I can lol

I know for a fact that @ Dawson, some programs assign you classes with the same people. In my case, for my Economics, Business, Psychology & Calculus class, we're all the same people & all in commerce.

First of all, how do CEGEP's chose which teachers have which classes? Do they pair "hard" programs with "weaker" programs? Example: My commerce program class avg is 89% in psychology, but our teacher said that her "Psychology profile students" have a way lower average than us. Do they just assign teachers to random classes? Or do they actually try to balance it out by assigning teachers one group with students from a "harder" program (Example in pure and applied sciences), and another group with students that are, for the most part, in a "weaker" program in order to balance out the average?

Next thing is,which R Score do the universities look at? The average of all of your R Scores at the end of each semester? Or the latest one available to them?

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 11-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Have you looked at other healthcare professions?

Physical therapy, occupational therapy, audiology...

EDIT: I have been advised against med school (by my QFT prof) so, if I needed a letter of recommendation for med school I now know who not to ask for one.

Last edited by Mathradio: 11-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Random question for this thread but figured its best suited here.

GF will graduate with bach of commerce in a few weeks and never had an internship. She wants a contract job for January to about April-may because she has something set for the summer. Apart from internships, is there websites that have entry level listings or low experience hires? Temporary work?

Many jobs I see require experience or are internship related. Need something in the middle.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote