HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
MBA requires work experience. Bachelor degrees do not.

HEC, McGill or JMSB(Concordia) are all good choices. Why go elsewhere if relatively cheap here?

I wouldn't do McGill though, hate the vibe. No reason.
Haters gonna hate.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Haters gonna hate.
Sorry.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
MBA requires work experience. Bachelor degrees do not.

HEC, McGill or JMSB(Concordia) are all good choices. Why go elsewhere if relatively cheap here?

I wouldn't do McGill though, hate the vibe. No reason.
Question bugging me about HEC, despite the fact that I did my primary and secondary school in french, as soon as I was given the chance I bounced to Dawson for CEGEP. I hate writing my papers in French, always get a ******** of mistakes. Even when I have the computer to correct my flagrant mistakes, syntax always ****s me over. Always had 60-70 in french throughout HS. I'm just worried that if I end up going to HEC, it'll weaken my grades one way or another when I write my papers due to a bad formulation of ideas, for example.

Absolutely no problem learning in french, its more writing it that bothers me. I feel like I'm writing smoothly, but it takes me 2x the time to write a french paper than an English one, and I doubt my Franco mom would want to read all of my papers again.

Quote:
Haters gonna hate.
Sort of makes sense what was said.. I mean look at you now, you aint even in MTL anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
McGill is known the world over. I've lived 5 years in Japan, 3 years in Germany and as of now 6 years in the US. Going to a university that is top-30 in the world, at the price that Quebecers pay, is tremendous investment. It opens doors; it probably had a lot to do with my getting at least to the final interview process for my faculty position.
Yeah, that's one of the major things that came in to account when I considered McGill, the whole prestige aspect. Always opened the door to working abroad, and McGill really jumps to the eye of foreigners over the other unis

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 06-18-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old
06-18-2014, 10:40 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Haters gonna hate.
McGill is known the world over. I've lived 5 years in Japan, 3 years in Germany and as of now 6 years in the US, and in all those countries, researchers with whom I interacted had a positive view of McGill, as well as U of T and UBC, and generally had not heard of other Canadian schools, even Ecole Polytechnique (where I did my Master's). Going to a university that is top-30 (or at worst top-40) in the world, at the price that Quebecers pay, is a tremendous investment (in fact, a bargain of almost absurd proportions). It opens doors; it probably had a lot to do with my getting at least to the final interview process for my faculty position in the US.

I would also advise those of you who have the option to do so, to consider grad school, especially in a program that leads to a decent job, and to consider McGill as well.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:49 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Sort of makes sense what was said.. I mean look at you now, you aint even in MTL anymore
Blame the government job

I'll be back next year. New Brunswick sucks.

Old
06-18-2014, 11:09 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Quote:
Haters gonna hate.
Haha I hate McGill too. They are the same as UdM, uptight and conservative. You should have seen the scene when Hillel whom I respect invited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Netanyahu... broken glass windows everywhere at the Hall Building. Concordia has passion, like Tupac ! Once, in the 1970s, ******** racist teachers were giving lower grades on purpose to the students from the Caribbean... they ended up throwing all the computers which were worth 20x more than today by the windows from the 7th floor computer lab at the Hall building again, 1550 Maisonneuve O. Concordia is so Montréal, alternative and no place for injustice... UdM and McGill... ugh.

I forgot. At Concordia we also have teachers who were draft dodgers from the Vietnam war, from prestigious Universities like Harvard and Yale.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 06-18-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old
06-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Price My Man Crush

Hey LaurentHabs, never used Antidote before buddy?

Old
06-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
McGill is known the world over. I've lived 5 years in Japan, 3 years in Germany and as of now 6 years in the US, and in all those countries, researchers with whom I interacted had a positive view of McGill, as well as U of T and UBC, and generally had not heard of other Canadian schools, even Ecole Polytechnique (where I did my Master's). Going to a university that is top-30 (or at worst top-40) in the world, at the price that Quebecers pay, is a tremendous investment (in fact, a bargain of almost absurd proportions). It opens doors; it probably had a lot to do with my getting at least to the final interview process for my faculty position in the US.

I would also advise those of you who have the option to do so, to consider grad school, especially in a program that leads to a decent job, and to consider McGill as well.
While I won't deny that any of this is true.
I wouldn't consider going to McGill the golden ticket to getting any job you want.
I think the struggles of all graduates this generation negate a lot of establishment reputation.

Not that I hate McGill, I just despise how the higher education system works. Knowledge becomes a commodity and student become customers of what basically is a corporation instead of being vessels for new ideas and furthering society.

Old
06-19-2014, 08:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Question bugging me about HEC, despite the fact that I did my primary and secondary school in french, as soon as I was given the chance I bounced to Dawson for CEGEP. I hate writing my papers in French, always get a ******** of mistakes. Even when I have the computer to correct my flagrant mistakes, syntax always ****s me over. Always had 60-70 in french throughout HS. I'm just worried that if I end up going to HEC, it'll weaken my grades one way or another when I write my papers due to a bad formulation of ideas, for example.

Absolutely no problem learning in french, its more writing it that bothers me. I feel like I'm writing smoothly, but it takes me 2x the time to write a french paper than an English one, and I doubt my Franco mom would want to read all of my papers again.
I believe HEC has bilingual degrees. Half English and half French.

As an anglophone I think I'd manage in French uni but I think I'd need to work way to hard with proofreading everything I write. Things that should take an hour would take two. Really not appealing. So can hardly blame you, English is an easy language, might as well go with it if you feel at ease.

Old
06-19-2014, 08:32 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Hey guys, wondering how much it will cost me for my school books for my first semester. I'll be studying civil engineering at ULaval.

I'd guess somewhere around 200-300$ but I figured it would be wiser to ask now instead of having a bad surprise come September, just in case.

Thanks!
Books can go for 200$ each sometimes. Get photocopied books.

Old
06-19-2014, 08:58 AM
DAChampion

I really enjoyd my 4 years at McGill. It's a great place to be if learning is a priority for you.

Old
06-19-2014, 09:22 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Anyone has any experience with the analytic writing portion of the GRE? This is the part that is befuddling me as I am studying for the general GRE (physics GRE is another bag of beans) as I have no clue whatsoever as far as how well I am performing in practice tests or weaknesses I must work upon.
I got a perfect score (96th percentile, so 1 person in ~25 gets a perfect score) on the analytic writing section. Judging by your posts here, you're probably in good shape.

Here's some advice:

- A lot of the essay questions are "wrong", so don't be surprised if you get a nonsensical question or idea to respond to. If it's nonsensical, attack it. I was told about that one going in. Though maybe they are now posting sensible essay questions.
- Remember essay structure, an opening paragraph that includes thesis statement and plan of action. Plan of action includes several points addressing the issue from multiple distinct angles, close with a conclusion that reverts back to the introduction.
- I do remember that most of my arguments came from distinct angles, don't remember what they were, but don't be afraid to bring in general knowledge to support your position as opposed to just "theory", you're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll have some general knowledge to back you up;
- When you're done, go over your essays to check for typos, see if you can improve your vocabulary in a few places;
- You should have a clock to guide you, there's probably one on the computers;

Remember -- you're going to do well, so relax. To paraphrase a famous quote: "Just shut up and write." If you're feeling nervous, take a few seconds, breathe, remember that you're among the intellectual elite, breathe again, and keep writing.

ETA: The physical space where I took the writing GRE back in 2006 was a closed and sterile room, the size of an average office or maybe a little bigger, and there were maybe 6 or 7 crappy computers in there. I actually wrote at the top of one or both of my essays that the keyboards were of decaying quality, and asked for mercy if there were typos, I listed the specific letters of the alphabet that seemed non-responsive. At the time, I think, there was a 35 minute essay and a 45 minute essay.

Last edited by DAChampion: 06-19-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old
06-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I got a perfect score (96th percentile, so 1 person in ~25 gets a perfect score) on the analytic writing section. Judging by your posts here, you're probably in good shape.

Here's some advice:

- A lot of the essay questions are "wrong", so don't be surprised if you get a nonsensical question or idea to respond to. If it's nonsensical, attack it. I was told about that one going in. Though maybe they are now posting sensible essay questions.
- Remember essay structure, an opening paragraph that includes thesis statement and plan of action. Plan of action includes several points addressing the issue from multiple distinct angles, close with a conclusion that reverts back to the introduction.
- I do remember that most of my arguments came from distinct angles, don't remember what they were, but don't be afraid to bring in general knowledge to support your position as opposed to just "theory", you're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll have some general knowledge to back you up;
- When you're done, go over your essays to check for typos, see if you can improve your vocabulary in a few places;
- You should have a clock to guide you, there's probably one on the computers;

Remember -- you're going to do well, so relax. To paraphrase a famous quote: "Just shut up and write." If you're feeling nervous, take a few seconds, breathe, remember that you're among the intellectual elite, breathe again, and keep writing.

ETA: The physical space where I took the writing GRE back in 2006 was a closed and sterile room, the size of an average office or maybe a little bigger, and there were maybe 6 or 7 crappy computers in there. I actually wrote at the top of one or both of my essays that the keyboards were of decaying quality, and asked for mercy if there were typos, I listed the specific letters of the alphabet that seemed non-responsive. At the time, I think, there was a 35 minute essay and a 45 minute essay.
Thanks for the answer, despite the six-month delay; I still snatched a 4.0 in writing (54th percentile) but I'm not complaining about the other scores: 89th percentile verbal, 95th quantitative (I once claimed in a student newspaper article that a physics graduate would have no trouble scoring high on that section). So, while I took the test 6 months ago, it was a move that, in hindsight, was the right one; I don't feel the need to retake the test.

Anyhow, this answer will be very helpful to the other HFHabs posters who are considering taking the GRE in the future, if only because they, too, want to go away from their current locations for a graduate education, say, a PhD.

Old
06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
DAChampion

89th Verbal is great !

It may sound irrelevant or physics, but it's not. A lot of people look at the verbal score, it's perceived to correlate with general intellectuality, i.e. if you read a lot of books for fun, you do well on the verbal. What I'm told is that studies have shown a weak correlation between verbal GRE and research success.

You're write about the quantitative section. If you're in science, technology, engineering, or math, you're expected to get a perfect score or close to it on the math GRE. It only matters if you do poorly.

ETA: In spite of that I came close to not getting a perfect on the Math GRE. There was one question I couldn't crack, and finally after some effort I noticed there was a comma in the sentence that I hadn't noticed before, which changed the meaning of the question.

Old
06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
Hey LaurentHabs, never used Antidote before buddy?
Always use Antidote, doesn't correct my syntax though

Quote:

As an anglophone I think I'd manage in French uni but I think I'd need to work way to hard with proofreading everything I write. Things that should take an hour would take two. Really not appealing. So can hardly blame you, English is an easy language, might as well go with it if you feel at ease.
Thanks, I'll look in to those bilingual degrees

Old
06-19-2014, 10:57 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
While I won't deny that any of this is true.
I wouldn't consider going to McGill the golden ticket to getting any job you want.
I never said that McGill is a golden ticket. There are lot of programs out there that simply do not lead to jobs, or conversely that crank out hundreds of graduates with very similar qualifications, but then again, this is a flaw of every university. What I am saying, is if you choose your program strategically, all the more so if you pursue a strategically chosen graduate degree leading to expertise that is highly sought after, then having gone to McGill may enhance your credibility in a competitive situation. I believe that it did for me.

Having said that, I think that the main predictor in success is mapping out a career with that confers upon you near-unique expertise, where the talent pool is limited and for which there is a big demand in industry and/or academia. One example is biomedical engineering, which is the fastest growing area of engineering right now, where jobs are virtually assured as a result of aging population statistics: developed countries including Canada, as a population, will experience health problems more and more.

And again, I am a strong proponent of a well-chosen graduate degree: if you do a Master's (or even a doctorate), and you choose the program carefully, then you put yourself in a situation of near-monopoly, or limited competition, within a talent pool with that kind of expertise. There are simply few or no other candidates for the job, or they are considerably less attractive than this expert, whether the competition comes from McGill, U of T or lesser known unis.

Old
06-19-2014, 11:03 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:

I advocate reading newspapers and novels in both languages. When I was a Master's student at Polytechnique, having done my Bachelor's at McGill, I used to alternate reading La Presse and The Globe and Mail, and if I could find the time, do the crosswords in both languages. I'm proud of the fact that I went to both; I went back to McGill for my doctorate, and I have a thesis in each official language.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Do you actually have to have work experience to get admitted in Uni? I was looking at Canadian Business programs and once or twice I came across (for example) "Required years of work experience: 2-4". Are those only for MBA's?

Also can't figure out which business school is the best in MTL. Anyone mind shedding some light? People at McGill that I've spoken to say it isn't nearly as weak as people claim it to be. Also open to outside of Quebec and even abroad options.
There's no single answer to this; I guess it depends on what is it you want to do in business school. If you want to do accounting, go to HEC, but for finance I think HEC and JMSB are a tossup. Don't know much about the other business fields.

Old
06-25-2014, 07:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'm thinking of doing a dual master's degree but one of the two will be outside Canada and I'll have to pay about 35k tuition for the year. Is there any programs in Quebec/Canada that help subsidize tuition even if you're outside Quebec? For example, there's AFE when you're in Quebec. Are you screwed once you leave?

I know Concordia(and likely other schools) have an exchange program and government or whoever will pay for housing costs(fixed number) when you're away. Any of these things exist for my situation?

Old
06-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Not sure this is the place for this question, but is anyone here going to be a freshman at McGill this fall?

Old
06-25-2014, 07:48 PM
FazChenyuk

Anyone here has experience in Web Development? Im interested a lot in Wordpress and web development in general. The salaries as a web developper look interesting especially when you reach 5 years of experience (senior).

What school do you suggest? There are some private cegep schools which look like a total rip off due to their high fees. It says while we require a bachelor degree in computer science for a web developper, an attestation could be fine for big companies. . I missed the attestation offered in Ahuntsic argh, Im scared my only option might be private cegep which is a formation given by Empoi-Quebec, I went for accounting instead.Darn.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:16 PM
TheAntiPrice

When is Mcgill gonna finally have a co-op for engineering?

Old
06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Haha I hate McGill too. They are the same as UdM, uptight and conservative. You should have seen the scene when Hillel whom I respect invited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Netanyahu... broken glass windows everywhere at the Hall Building. Concordia has passion, like Tupac ! Once, in the 1970s, ******** racist teachers were giving lower grades on purpose to the students from the Caribbean... they ended up throwing all the computers which were worth 20x more than today by the windows from the 7th floor computer lab at the Hall building again, 1550 Maisonneuve O. Concordia is so Montréal, alternative and no place for injustice... UdM and McGill... ugh.

I forgot. At Concordia we also have teachers who were draft dodgers from the Vietnam war, from prestigious Universities like Harvard and Yale.
The teacher who lead the investigation into the late '60s computer lab riots is actually still an intro stats teacher at jmsb, and still by all accounts bad.

I go to jmsb, I like it. Under the impression that mcgill is coasting by on name recognition in most fields nowadays; most of my friends who go there don't like it much. JMSB in terms of reputation is going to surpass Desautels soon enough, if it hasn't already.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Anyone else shooting for a PhD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I go to jmsb, I like it. Under the impression that mcgill is coasting by on name recognition in most fields nowadays; most of my friends who go there don't like it much. JMSB in terms of reputation is going to surpass Desautels soon enough, if it hasn't already.
In business, definitely (even though it's still decent in absolute terms). One must remember that McGill's name recognition is built upon life sciences and medicine.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
The teacher who lead the investigation into the late '60s computer lab riots is actually still an intro stats teacher at jmsb, and still by all accounts bad.

McGill has a lot of good programs but the misconception many have with a brand name is that they are the best at everything. I'd rather go to JMSB personally although I'm not in business.

Closed Thread