HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
peate
Good grief!

vCash: 500
Look for a Brisebois/Bergevin tandem if there is such a thing. Not putting any faith in this but I read on Twitter "@DLCoulisses" that McGuire was not Molson's choice.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Agreed...I personally think that McGuire does a great job of selling himself. As I mentioned earlier, the guy has a 'silver tongue', he knows how to express himself clearly and precisely. It's also why so many people support his nomination as GM, because he goes on the radio everyday, and when you hear him speak, he comes off as genius.

But in reality, a lot of what he says on the radio is fluff...there's alot of style but little substance, while i'm sure that's done intentionally by him, I think it's important to realize that what he says shouldn't serve as a platform for his candidacy.

Again, saying things on the radio/TV when you're not being held accountable is easy...
Agreed.

More then anything McGuire is a TV/Radio entertainer in the realm of hockey.

He has spent more time in the media then associated with any sports team over his career(s).

Now has any sports organization hired a media personality for a GM role?

And if so how did that go?

Old
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I realize that's what you were saying...I just disagree with it.

The experience he's acquired as a hockey analyst the last 15 years and the role of a GM in day to day operations...from what I gather, and granted none of us really knows what those responsibilities are...are two entirely different things.

it doesn't mean he can't make the transition into GM or that what he's learned as a analyst isn't applicable in a managerial role...it's just that none of us really know.

McGuire is very much a wildcard in this GM search...there's just not enough out there for us fans to say with any vigor, whether he's a good candidate or not. His work as an analyst, should NOT serve as a platform for his candidacy, IMO, it's two entirely different fields.

In other words...if as a fan, you support Pierre McGuire because of what he's said on the radio and/or TV, then you're missing the forest for the trees
While all true, this sort of rational assesment of the situation isn’t nearly as important as PROVING I AM RIGHT…which seems to have sadly become the point of this forum. It isn’t sharing thoughts and opinions…it’s trying to outlast the other guy in an argument in order to win.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
While all true, this sort of rational assesment of the situation isn’t nearly as important as PROVING I AM RIGHT…which seems to have sadly become the point of this forum. It isn’t sharing thoughts and opinions…it’s trying to outlast the other guy in an argument in order to win.
Welcome to the internet.

McGuire wants to take the easy way to becoming an NHL General Manager. If some other team wants to do that, good on them. You earn your way in life though. McGuire has taken the cushy TV job over the grind of the NHL life.

Screw him.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Agreed.

More then anything McGuire is a TV/Radio entertainer in the realm of hockey.

He has spent more time in the media then associated with any sports team over his career(s).

Now has any sports organization hired a media personality for a GM role?

And if so how did that go?
John Davidson. The Blues are doing decent.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
The Doors

McGuire is saying all the right things on TEAM right now

Old
05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
McGuire is saying all the right things on TEAM right now
About what? The Habs GM job or the team in general?

Old
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 50
So did BriseBois really get interviewed ?

Old
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
John Davidson. The Blues are doing decent.
He's the President.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
He's the President.
He's actually the one running the show. Don't buy the titles. He had Kekalainen to work with for a long time though.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
About what? The Habs GM job or the team in general?
No, just in general. He was talking about the Radulov/Kostitsyn situation and his tone was as though he was trying to show off what he would do were he a GM, it was funny to hear him talk about "as a GM this you've got to stick up for your players, you've got to do this, you've got to that." He was also raving about the Kings.

He's really auditioning. And of course, he had to drop a couple of useless stats about where players attended NCAA schools or who he talked to on the phone recently - the kind of things that annoy people about him - but I still think he's an absolute hockey encyclopedic freak and would own this job.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Gaston Gingras

Giguère rayé de la liste !!!

As per Rds
Giguère is not on the list anymore!!

Old
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He's actually the one running the show. Don't buy the titles. He had Kekalainen to work with for a long time though.
Agree, check out Davidson's profile picture at the St Louis Blues site.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
sheed36

Quote:
No, just in general. He was talking about the Radulov/Kostitsyn situation and his tone was as though he was trying to show off what he would do were he a GM, it was funny to hear him talk about "as a GM this you've got to stick up for your players, you've got to do this, you've got to that." He was also raving about the Kings.

He's really auditioning. And of course, he had to drop a couple of useless stats about where players attended NCAA schools or who he talked to on the phone recently - the kind of things that annoy people about him - but I still think he's an absolute hockey encyclopedic freak and would own this job.
Thanks.. I don't think McGuire will get the job but if he somehow did this board would be in a state of disarray.. Good news on Giguère being out.. I wasn't too impressed with his time with the Avs..

Also FWIW I just read on twitter from one of those Habs "insiders" that the Habs legal dept is drawing up the contract for the new GM and he expects it to be Bergevin.. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Andy

Renaud P Lavoie ‏ @RenLavoieRDS
François Giguère + Claude Loiselle ont reçu des appels du Canadien. Ils ne sont plus dans la course pour le poste de dg.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
François Giguère + Claude Loiselle ont reçu des appels du Canadien. Ils ne sont plus dans la course pour le poste de dg.
They were not top of my list, so I'm not sad about this. Only hindsight will tell if the Habs made a wise choice, but I approve of the process so far.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Good news.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Looks like it's getting close. Now please eliminate BriseBois.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Thanks.. I don't think McGuire will get the job but if he somehow did this board would be in a state of disarray.. Good news on Giguère being out.. I wasn't too impressed with his time with the Avs..

Also FWIW I just read on twitter from one of those Habs "insiders" that the Habs legal dept is drawing up the contract for the new GM and he expects it to be Bergevin.. Guess we'll see soon enough.
Ya i saw that also. Dont know if this guy is legit, but i have been following him for a while and he has been pretty spot on. (called the habs getting Geoffrion)

Old
05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
The Doors

So what are you predictions, or percentages guys?

I'll say likely it's Bergeron (safe and solid), McGuire a bit behind, with a darkhorse long shot for Mackasey. I can't see them hiring a 30-something who learned his stuff underneath Gainey and Gauthier. This is supposed to be a new, fresh and exciting time for the Habs... we'll see

Old
05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

If it's Bergevin, I hope he brings Dudley in. But I surely don't hope he brings Denis Savard as the new coach. If it's Bergevin my scenario looks good.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Miller Time

with Loiselle out of the running, I'm betting its a 2-horse race btw McGuire & Bergevin...

won't be surprised one bit if Bergevin ends up nailing it, less of a polarizing candidate & after the circus that was this past season, wouldn't be surprised if the Habs would prefer a less outspoken GM as opposed to one who is bound to be constantly in the media.

I'm ok with either, and really, of all the candidates mentioned, none of them struck me as a "bad" choice flat out. McGuire, imo, is/was a good fit for a lot of reasons, but all of the candidates we've heard of had merits in their own right.

Whomever it is, he has his work cut out for him this summer... perfect opportunity b/c our team has enough quality pieces to be a solid playoff team next year with the right tweaks, and inheriting a top-3 pick & solid prospect pool of soon to be ready NHL talent is perfect for any GM wanting to come in and build something positive.

as long as we steer clear from desperation UFA signings, and don't make any decisions with out lottery pick or quality prospects, we should be in for a pretty positive summer in habs land.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:05 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Ya i saw that also. Dont know if this guy is legit, but i have been following him for a while and he has been pretty spot on. (called the habs getting Geoffrion)
I've been checking him out for a while also and he does seem to actually have some inside info unlike many others.. He's supposedly getting the name later tonight so we'll see if he actually knows anything legit..

Old
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
SnapVirus

McGuire didnt seems fully happy on team 990. His voice was not the one of someone who got the new job that he wants.

Bergevin's probably the man.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Fozz

Quote:
So what are you predictions, or percentages guys?

I'll say likely it's Bergeron (safe and solid), McGuire a bit behind, with a darkhorse long shot for Mackasey. I can't see them hiring a 30-something who learned his stuff underneath Gainey and Gauthier. This is supposed to be a new, fresh and exciting time for the Habs... we'll see
What?

I guess you mean Bergevin, right? Man, don't scare me like that. Can you imagine Michel Bergeron as the Habs GM??

Closed Thread