HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)

Old
05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Do Getz and Perry not want to be in the Triple Gold Club??
Screw the Triple Gold Club! This is the only Gold they're interested in:

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I don't see our world ranking changing much after this tournament. Hockey Canada needs a shake-up - Bob Nicholson and his cronies need to move on down the road.

I expect we'll be ranked 5th or worse based on what I'm seeing now...
If the Canadians would show up and play for their Country they wouldn't be 5th or lower, just look at the stars who are playing for Russia and Sweden. Pampered Canadians and Americans should be more patriotic.

FreeBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Do Getz and Perry not want to be in the Triple Gold Club??
I'd understand the question if they went partying the night before a knock-out game, but when they do so before a day off during the round-robin...?

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
If this happened the night before the USA game, it would be a scandal. But going out the night before a day off is hardly newsworthy.
Exactly

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
Canada 7 pts
Swiss 6
Finland 6
USA 6
Slovakia 6
France 3
Should be USA with 5, Slovakia with 3

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Should be USA with 5, Slovakia with 3
You're right, my bad. My point still stands though. We haven't really stepped it up or gelled as a team yet but I'm not going to get too upset about it. Save it for a playoff game against Russia or Sweden when it actually matters.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Liked seeing Kane on Getzlaf's wing. They needed somebody to skate.

Does anyone know why Babcock was there? Will the players dare to party with Babs' terrifying stare in Finland?
Coaches/GM/scouts often go to these tournaments to scout .

05-08-2012, 07:28 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
If the Canadians would show up and play for their Country they wouldn't be 5th or lower, just look at the stars who are playing for Russia and Sweden. Pampered Canadians and Americans should be more patriotic.
The WCs are still viewed by North Americans as a second tier tournament.They have just come off of a long grueling NHL season and if they are not lucky enough to still be in the hunt for the true Holy Grail of hockey, The Stanley Cup, they mostly want to heal up and reintroduce themselves to their families. I don't blame them one bit.

To tell you the truth no one is talking about the WCs around here. The only international tournaments that holds interest around here are The Olympics and the WJCs.The Canada Cup used to be a big deal but the NHL killed that.

The only way you will get North American interest is if the WCs aren't held while the SC is still in play.

Maybe a July tournament?

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Just so you know, this post is very inaccurate. The fact of the matter is that once game elimination comes down to a lot of luck. Obviously we sent a bad team in 2010, most guys were tired or had just played in Vancouver, and a lot of guys were upset they didn't get named, fair enough.

Last year Team Canada lost 1 game by 1 game. I think that made our record 6-1. Do I think if Team Canada played all those teams 10 times that we would end up ranked 8th? No, not even close. The ranking system is what it is, and I think its good. But when you're dealing with a small sample size, teams/countries are gonna end up in wonky spots.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Has HC invited Weber ? Im assuming he said no due to the fact I haven't heard anything yet. Will they wait till the Ranger/Washington series is over or will they extend an invitation to Braydon Coburn ?

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Shea wouldn't go because he's an RFA.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Is there any way Claude Giroux goes? (If Burrows can't play)

Old
05-08-2012, 11:31 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Is there any way Claude Giroux goes? (If Burrows can't play)
I think there is only 1 spot left....My guess would be to add a D ... they already have 13 F's but 6 D's + Murry - so Murry might be the odd man out..

Old
05-09-2012, 02:07 AM
roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Just so you know, this post is very inaccurate. The fact of the matter is that once game elimination comes down to a lot of luck. Obviously we sent a bad team in 2010, most guys were tired or had just played in Vancouver, and a lot of guys were upset they didn't get named, fair enough.

Last year Team Canada lost 1 game by 1 game. I think that made our record 6-1. Do I think if Team Canada played all those teams 10 times that we would end up ranked 8th? No, not even close. The ranking system is what it is, and I think its good. But when you're dealing with a small sample size, teams/countries are gonna end up in wonky spots.
It's good to hear that some Canadian brings up the luck aspect. Olympics are held every four years, team losing quarter final plays only 4-5 games. Olympics have the best players, but the tournament is almost as inaccurate as it can get if we try to make some conclusions based on its results.

In WHC teams play seven games before single-game elimination rounds, but what's important is that sample rate is higher. If Canada sends a good team every year it'd surely have one of the top spots in the ranking. Higher sample rate eliminates luck especially for Canada because it has overpowering material.

Yes, Canada can lose a quarter-final even with its best players, but best players may not necessarily form the best team in a small tournament. IIHF ranking isn't about which country has best and widest material on paper. It's determined by games which national teams play against each other.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Then don't have the tournament in the middle of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
JackSlater

TSN is saying that Kris Russell has been added to the defence. He should be able to help generate offence from the back end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
It's good to hear that some Canadian brings up the luck aspect. Olympics are held every four years, team losing quarter final plays only 4-5 games. Olympics have the best players, but the tournament is almost as inaccurate as it can get if we try to make some conclusions based on its results.

In WHC teams play seven games before single-game elimination rounds, but what's important is that sample rate is higher. If Canada sends a good team every year it'd surely have one of the top spots in the ranking. Higher sample rate eliminates luck especially for Canada because it has overpowering material.

Yes, Canada can lose a quarter-final even with its best players, but best players may not necessarily form the best team in a small tournament. IIHF ranking isn't about which country has best and widest material on paper. It's determined by games which national teams play against each other.
You are right that the WCs have a larger sample size. That would make them better for conclusions if each country sent a team indicative of how good they are. Europeans send stronger teams to this tournament relative to their overall ability that North Americans, so it will always overstate European countries compared to USA and Canada.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Kris Russell ?? never hear of him, also really never heard of Quincy till this year...What, they couldn't invite Coburn ? wtf ????

Old
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Kris Russell ?? never hear of him, also really never heard of Quincy till this year...What, they couldn't invite Coburn ? wtf ????
Man, have you ever even watched this tournament? Seriously? I don't mean to be a jerk to you, but Kris Russel I think has gone 2 other times, and has also played in the WJC. I'd take Russel in this tournament over Coburn every time.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Man, have you ever even watched this tournament? Seriously? I don't mean to be a jerk to you, but Kris Russel I think has gone 2 other times, and has also played in the WJC. I'd take Russel in this tournament over Coburn every time.
Agreed. He has very good mobility and has a good feel for the game, two things that are important for open ice.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
I really never heard of this guy....really...lol

Old
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
jigglysquishy

Added d is added d, but I really would have liked to see an invite to Stamkos or Giroux.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Finnpin

Ryan Getzlaf!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Added d is added d, but I really would have liked to see an invite to Stamkos or Giroux.
No offense, but the fact that you brought up inviting Stamkos tells me you have no idea whats going on.

We needed defenseman, they made a good choice.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Anyone know if Brian Campbell refused?

It would be crazy if he wasn't invited at all.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I really never heard of this guy....really...lol
Really? That's kind of weird considering you seem like a huge HC fan.

He played in the World Juniors in 2007 (very good PP QB along with Letang) and has played in the Men's championship too. Very good skater... which is a plus for big ice. I like this pick.

Schenn is the only defenseman that I don't like on the team. Did we ever find out about Seabrook? Was he injured? I can't see TC not inviting him if he was healthy.