HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)

Old
05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Justinov

vCash: 500
My point is simply that loosing to USA can mean that Canada doesn't win the group. Instead of meeting Germany/Norway/Denmark/Latvia it's more possible to run into Sweden/Czech/Russia in the QF. Huge increased risk of going out in a QF...which will lower Canada's rating even further for the Sochi 2014. This team should have changed the QF losses from the last WC to improve for Sochi.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
I hate Lowe as much as next guy but how is it his fault NHL superstars don't show up to play?
You don't need star dmen to put together a good team. There's plenty of good Canadian dmen better that would do better than Schenn/Phaneuf who he probably never even bothered asking. Dumbass. Picking a ****ing junior with dozens of top four Cdn dmen.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
You don't need star dmen to put together a good team. There's plenty of good Canadian dmen better that would do better than Schenn/Phaneuf who he probably never even bothered asking. Dumbass. Picking a ****ing junior with dozens of top four Cdn dmen.
Yeah, the Schenn and Phaneuf decision, I have no ****ing clue about. Not to be a homer or anything but the Oilers have a good shutdown defender in Nick Schultz. I have no idea how Lowe passed him over for Schenn. The thing he can't be blamed for, though, is the offense. Getzlaf sucked today and the only forwards who have showed up for both, the US and Slovakia game, have been Skinner, Tavares, and Sharp I think. Offense has been really disappointing.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
My point is simply that loosing to USA can mean that Canada doesn't win the group. Instead of meeting Germany/Norway/Denmark/Latvia it's more possible to run into Sweden/Czech/Russia in the QF. Huge increased risk of going out in a QF...which will lower Canada's rating even further for the Sochi 2014. This team should have changed the QF losses from the last WC to improve for Sochi.
They play the QF from within this group.

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I don't get why Schenn and Phaneuf are on this team, either. Surely, there were other decent d-men available. Ian White? Travis Hamonic? Nick Schultz?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I don't get why Schenn and Phaneuf are on this team, either. Surely, there were other decent d-men available. Ian White? Travis Hamonic? Nick Schultz?
Schenn and Murray honestly shouldn't be on the team. Phaneuf at least can provide some offence off the back end.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
surely

Tie Domi Esquire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
HSF

Spezza should be laughing he would make this team much moer deadly.

also get some d who can actually play i hear nonis is part of the management team here? no wonder Schenn is on this team

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Schenn and Murray honestly shouldn't be on the team. Phaneuf at least can provide some offence off the back end.
Murray feels more like a selfish move to get a better look at him. There are better options than him. Schenn just doesn't belong on big ice, IMO. I don't understand not trying to take advantage of the big ice with a more mobile defenseman.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Does anyone seem to care that Kevin Lowe is using the Worlds to addition a player? And leaves off Spezza, who led Team Canada in points last year and was 4th in scoring? No joke, he should be impeached! lol

No disrespect to Oilers fans, but the Worlds should not be a testing ground to see whether potential draft picks are NHL ready.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
Does anyone seem to care that Kevin Lowe is using the Worlds to addition a player? And leaves off Spezza, who led Team Canada in points last year and was 4th in scoring? No joke, he should be impeached! lol

No disrespect to Oilers fans, but the Worlds should not be a testing ground to see whether potential draft picks are NHL ready.
So Spezza would have played defence?

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
So Spezza would have played defence?
maybe canada would have a pp goal by now

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

Spezza called hockey Canada after they had already filled the roster. They didn't want to have to kick a forward off the team to bring in Spezza. We sure could use him though.

As for the Ryan Murray thing, I agree - it's greasy. Unless there was literally no other viable options which I have my doubts.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
ben3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
I hate Lowe as much as next guy but how is it his fault NHL superstars don't show up to play?
It is when he turns down the 4th best scorer in the league. Kevin Lowe is doing a mediocre job and it is translating on the way the team is playing.

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3001 View Post
It is when he turns down the 4th best scorer in the league. Kevin Lowe is doing a mediocre job and it is translating on the way the team is playing.
It was after they already filled the roster... It would be kind of unprofessional to send a player back to Canada on an airplane after they practiced with the team and played exhibition.

Spezza would be a great addition but unfortunately the team was already filled up at forward before he was an option.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:55 PM
ben3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
It was after they already filled the roster... It would be kind of unprofessional to send a player back to Canada on an airplane after they practiced with the team and played exhibition.

Spezza would be a great addition but unfortunately the team was already filled up at forward before he was an option.
Mismanagement is not an excuse for mismanagement. Other teams purposefully leave some rosters spots open from time to time in order to see the results of the playoffs. The facts here are that Kevin Lowe did not bother to properly examine all possible avenues of available players, mismanaged his assets, set up a boys club environment based not on reward of play but on nepotism, and finally used the tournament as a means to evaluate players to the benefit of his own private interest. At the end of the day it is unacceptable and worrisome that this type of attitude is infiltrating an organisation like Hockey Canada - an organisation that should never under any circumstance demand anything less than excellence and by no means whatsoever let mediocrity start to infiltrate in its ranks.

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

Sharp was added the day before Ottawa lost game 7, Murray added about 10 days after that.

Probably the biggest WTF, is the fact that teams can carry 22 skaters. Canada has 20.

I am a Sens fan, but also a Team Canada fan, and based on the team we sent (especially our D), it's seems pretty obvious that Lowe is exploiting his position

Old
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Mismanagement is not an excuse for mismanagement. Other teams purposefully leave some rosters spots open from time to time in order to see the results of the playoffs. The facts here are that Kevin Lowe did not bother to properly examine all possible avenues of available players, mismanaged his assets, set up a boys club environment based not on reward of play but on nepotism, and finally used the tournament as a means to evaluate players to the benefit of his own private interest. At the end of the day it is unacceptable and worrisome that this type of attitude is infiltrating an organisation like Hockey Canada - an organisation that should never under any circumstance demand anything less than excellence and by no means whatsoever let mediocrity start to infiltrate in its ranks.
hear hear!

for those you that agree that Lowe did the dirty, do you think anything will come from Canada bombing the Worlds?

Old
05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Messier did that also the year was GM of the team.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Dion Phaneuf deserves to be on this team as much as anyone. Including all the people you mentioned and especially Nick Schultz.

Toronto-bias hard at work yet again.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:58 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Dion Phaneuf deserves to be on this team as much as anyone. Including all the people you mentioned and especially Nick Schultz.

Agreed. Phaneuf hasn't exactly had an all-star performance, but he's be no worse than anyone else on the team. Schenn on the other hand... This kid is a write off.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post

I think when talking about including a player that failed to get his team to the playoffs on to a national team you hope will win, the word 'deserves' sounds a bit off...lol (this isn't a dig a Dion). lol... I know, players aren't gms (that was a dig at burke though)

Old
05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Valois

As an Ottawa fan, I actually look forward to the one time a year I can actually like Phaneuf (and hopefully see him play with Spezza). Obviously miffed about the roster for a number of reasons though.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
As an Ottawa fan, I actually look forward to the one time a year I can actually like Phaneuf (and hopefully see him play with Spezza). Obviously miffed about the roster for a number of reasons though.
based on Lowe's treatment of Spezza, as an Ottawa fan, its almost like we showed be cheering more for Sweden!

Old
05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Valois

Quote:
based on Lowe's treatment of Spezza, as an Ottawa fan, its almost like we showed be cheering more for Sweden!
Haha, honestly - 3 senators and Alfie going for gold near the end of his career with a really great looking team, or a really disinterested looking Canadian group with a GM who jerked around our #1 centre. I hope Canada at least plays better so I don't have to keep having this identity crisis.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote