HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo or Lowe? Its time for Katz to pick one

Old
05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Tambo or Lowe? Its time for Katz to pick one

Does the Oiler organization structure as it exists, with muddied waters concerning authority, constipate decision making and divert accountability away from the decision makers?

I think it's pretty clear that it does

I couldn't help but think of the Oilers as I read this recent comment on the Vikings front office - ..But team sources say that mistakes such as paying Longwell so heftily were the kind of thing that led the team to name an authority in the front office, giving Rick Spielman the title of GM this offseason. Ownership felt too often previously that a lack of communication and accountability with the many decision makers led to some questionable transactions that they now believe they can avoid with one chief voice -

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...e-starting-job

Lack of communication and accountability are a keystone characteristic of our dinosaur era management team.

The last two weeks serve as a hilarious reminder of the current state of affairs
It started with Ryan Rishaug's gloomy comments on 1260 two weeks ago, he seemed downright distraught, an off behavior for him which he explained away by stating "..I don't know, I'm not really sure who is in charge of the Oilers anymore.." This was in regards to a question by Gregor regarding the status of Renney.

Then Bobby Mac sent out his cryptic tweet that indicated that members of the coaching fraternity weren't really impressed with the Oilers inability to make a decision on Renney's future

By all indications (as mentioned many times by Tencer) the comments by Mackenzie kicked the Oiler brass into high gear to make their minds up regarding Renney

To top it all off we get an extremely out of character column by John Mackinnon, who never in his writing life has found an Edmonton sports brass talking point he couldn't wrap his arms around, calling out the Oilers for classlessness.

So what's the story? What explains a muddled and clunky decision making process and an unusually course response from a normally tepid media?

I think the answer is an easy one, Kevin Lowe is stepping in the fray often enough to chart the course that Tambellini doesn't really have any footing for making hard decisions. By all accounts KLowe fired the first coach Tambo hired (Quinn) is it surprising that Tambellini sans a contract himself was tentative in making a call on Renney. Was he even in a position too?

The entire organizational framework of the Oilers as it exists today has at its foundation one thing; the survival of the Old Boy network via Kevin Lowe; not accountability, not innovation, not the pursuit of a championship club, only protection of the status quo. And everything the club does from anointing a new GM, to firing coaches to getting the city to buy into the rebuilding of an organization that was never built to anything of worth in the first place, need to be viewed through this lens

I'm been a Kevin Lowe unbeliever for a long time and am not particularly enamoured with Tambo's weak-kneed approach whether his strings are pulled or not. I will say this though, for the betterment of the organization one of these two individuals needs to step up and one needs to go. The Lowe/Tambo combo has proven unworkable at everything except confusing Oiler fans regarding who is accountable for the current mess.

The curtain needs to be drawn and a light focused down on one person who we can then hold accountable for the future of the club.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Why not get rid of both of them?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:04 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Why keep both?

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:06 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why not get rid of both of them?
I agree but better one than none

I see no desire by our owner to conduct a much needed stable cleaning

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
I agree but better one than none

I see no desire by our owner to conduct a much needed stable cleaning
I think its been Lowe's gig all along. If Katz fires one it will be Tambo and then nothing really changes. Although some will argue that Tambo's patient approach is all over the last two/three years, thus proving that Lowe isnt really calling the shots, the Oil Change footage is pretty clear that Lowe is still very active in player personnel decisions.

They both need to go. Badly. Sooner the better. Sadly I agree that the owner is not motivated to change. So here we sit broken hearted, tried to .........................

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Kevin Lowe on Steve Tambellini:

“We’ve had preliminary discussions,” he said of Tambellini, who announced that Tom Renney would not be rehired after midnight Helsinki time, the night after Lowe’s Team Canada coached by Sutter lost the quarter-final game of the world hockey championships.

“When we get back I expect to work it out,” he said.

“It’s not going to be complicated.”

Lowe said owner Daryl Katz is on board.

“He approves of the job he’s done.”
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/05/2...ck-to-business

I think it's pretty safe to assume Tambellini is going to be re-signed.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post

And he gets a vote of confidence from the team President and Owner, if that doesn't tell everyone that step 1 of the plan was to get high picks via the draft then I don't know what will.

05-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

It was obvious within the first 6 months of his tenure, that Tambo was set up as a puppet. At some point he will take the fall, and the puppet master will replace him. I recall several posters discussing this a few years ago.... It was obvious then, and remains so.

Klowes relationship with the owner means he has a guaranteed job, aka Bobby Clarke; only when he starts guiding us through rebuild 2 or 3 many years from now, will we see real change.

Great post BTW.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
How many guys in Lowe's position get media attention that has to deal with the NHL? I can see him being interviewed to talk about the WC, but I don't see why he is talking about the Oilers and future plans. ST should be the one and only one doing that.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And he gets a vote of confidence from the team President and Owner, if that doesn't tell everyone that step 1 of the plan was to get high picks via the draft then I don't know what will.
That being said, contrast that with some rumblings from Brownlee to the effect that this will be Tambellini's "last chance".

I really do think that there's more going on than what Kevin Lowe gives up for public consumption. I refuse to believe that they're 100% satisfied with Tambellini's job performance.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
copperandblue

Sticking with the OP's question of who, you have to keep Lowe over Tambellini at this point.

Both should be moved out however.

The Lowe quote regarding Katz is deeply concerning. How can you expect things to improve if the owner is happy when they don't? Of course never hearing from Katz himself...

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Halibut

I dont see how it's one or the other. If you get rid of Tambellini then that looks pretty bad on Klowe, the guy he hired to clean up the mess he made. Either you wait it out and see if Tambellini can turn this thing around or you clean house and get new management top to bottom.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Section337

I think that organizations are trending towards having GMs and President/Elder Statesmen. I think it is a good thing to have multiple people discuss certain issues.

With that said, I am struggling with the guys we have in those roles.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:45 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I dont see how it's one or the other. If you get rid of Tambellini then that looks pretty bad on Klowe, the guy he hired to clean up the mess he made. Either you wait it out and see if Tambellini can turn this thing around or you clean house and get new management top to bottom.
By that logic once they tied the can to Renney, Tambellini should have been fired.

After all it's his hire and looks pretty bad on him, either you wait it out and see if Renney can turn it around or get rid of all of them, top to bottom.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I think that organizations are trending towards having GMs and President/Elder Statesmen. I think it is a good thing to have multiple people discuss certain issues.

With that said, I am struggling with the guys we have in those roles.
I have no problem with this, but I prefer if our advisors are scene not heard.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:02 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post

that is such a pile of bs. Katz approves of the complete pile of **** tamby has done?

I don't give a **** if you call it a rebuild. 30th place 1 time, it has to happen to some team- understandable. 2nd straight 30th place, most gm's would get the ****ing boot at this point rebuilding or not. 29th place in your 3rd season is your best result and still have a ****ing job??

This team hasn't gotten better because of your gm'ing its gotten better because you ****ing sucked at your job.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
TheBleeder

K-Lowe will never ever be fired from this organization as long as Katz is around. K-Lowe and Katz had a personal relationship way before he even bought the team and I'll bet Katz bought the team because Lowe has his ear as any friend would and the guy just happens to be a billionaire.

Put it like this: Your a billionaire that owns an NHL team which isn't even close to being your main source of income and you hire your good buddy to run it. In that given situation, would you rather just sell an insignificant portion of your income or cut off a bond with a friend. Im pretty sure he'd rather sell the team than having to make the decision to can Lowe.

TheBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleeder View Post
K-Lowe will never ever be fired from this organization as long as Katz is around. K-Lowe and Katz had a personal relationship way before he even bought the team and I'll bet Katz bought the team because Lowe has his ear as any friend would and the guy just happens to be a billionaire.

Put it like this: Your a billionaire that owns an NHL team which isn't even close to being your main source of income and you hire your good buddy to run it. In that given situation, would you rather just sell an insignificant portion of your income or cut off a bond with a friend. Im pretty sure he'd rather sell the team than having to make the decision to can Lowe.
And just another reason to realize that the 'white knight with deep pockets that is going to save us.' was a lot of bunk. In any case this whole topic is moot. Tambo will be given an extension, he always was going to be given one by the sounds of it. The higher ups in Lowe and Katz were fully on board with Renney being let go. This will be Lowebellini for at least another two maybe three years, no doubt about that.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And just another reason to realize that the 'white knight with deep pockets that is going to save us.' was a lot of bunk.
I don't think it's necessarily bunk, and be clear I am not much of a Katz fan so far, but more a question of long it takes for him to get tired of being a failure at the NHL level.

At some point he will, be it becuase of ego or finances, realize that owning a team as an unabashed fan and owning a team to be competetive are often two different things.

Here is hoping it's a lesson learned quickly, unfortunately I think will still be a few years at least.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

It's funny...I was at work this morning going over Lowe's comments with a friend of mine (lifelong Canucks fan), and it boggles his mind how vocal Lowe has been regarding subjects like the draft, the vacant coaching position, Renney, etc....he couldn't imagine anyone from management on his team other than Gillis speaking to these subjects.

It just speaks to the perception (and likely reality?) that people outside of the Oilers org really don't know who is calling the shots.

My personal opinion, based on what seems to be a more vocal and hands-on Kevin Lowe than what we've seen in previous years of Tambellini's GM run, is that Lowe has decided that Tambellini "needs a hand" in running things. Whether it's out of a sense of duty to do so or Lowe getting the itch to get back in the saddle after some years of having a lower profile is hard to say for sure.

Either way, despite what they say in the media I think Tambellini's on a short leash and is at best a 50/50 chance of sitting in the GM chair by this time next year. What he gets for a contract extension in terms of length will say a lot.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Neither.

Johnny McBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Tyrolean

Katz is at the root of the problem now, but as a poster said it is a very close relationship to Lowe than he will never be fired.

As long as Lowe is around the regime of losing will continue.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
By that logic once they tied the can to Renney, Tambellini should have been fired.

After all it's his hire and looks pretty bad on him, either you wait it out and see if Renney can turn it around or get rid of all of them, top to bottom.
Not a bad idea after the Quinn/Renney fiasco even if it only lasted a year!

Seriously though, how can Kevin Lowe keep his job if he's built a team that has plummeted to the bottom of the standings? What has he done that makes anyone think he has the ability to build a team? The same guy who would have thrown away 4 first round picks for Thomas Vanek? The guy who signed Souray and Nylander and was likely behind the Khabibulin signing and chasing after Heatley?

If you're firing Tambo because he isnt capable of building a team then isnt that the straw that broke Klowes back? If he cant get that right then what can he do?

I think the two are tied together and the plan is linked to both of them. No point in trying to shift the blame to one or another, they were both intricately involved with the plan and if this rebuild fails they both are going down.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Philly85
Raps'

As much as both guys should be gone, I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to say "**** it", and give the reigns back to Lowe, purely in the role of GM. Remove the President of Hockey Ops tag. As utterly confusing, befuddled, embarrassing the Oilers management situation is, I can at least remember Lowe making several shrewd, savvy, and downright great trades. I can't recall a single deal that has worked out for Tambellini thus far. He has literally done nothing. Anyways, both guys are to blame and I'd be over the moon if Batman had the stones to turf both both, but we all know that ain't happening.

So oddly enough, if I had to choose one, I think I'd favour having K Lowe back. (just threw up in my mouth a little).

Last edited by Philly85: 05-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How many guys in Lowe's position get media attention that has to deal with the NHL? I can see him being interviewed to talk about the WC, but I don't see why he is talking about the Oilers and future plans. ST should be the one and only one doing that.
which points to one of two possibilities: the media, like us, believe Lowe is in charge (or at least micro-managing Tambo), or he actually is.

I am with another poster in that I don't really care if Lowe is running team, but, as the OP said, the last month indicates that 2 heads are not better than one... they can't make a decision without looking classless or incompetant.

and why does Katz pay 2 guys to do the job of one? it's his money, but, seems a little wasteful.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote