HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Agreed and disagreed on dime a dozen. Isn't goaltending considered the most difficult position to scout because there are so many variables? OR would that be applied to "good/nhl caliber goaltending"?
If it's so difficult, how is it that there's like 16-18 other GMs that seem to have no problem finding a serviceable goalie? In some cases they have multiple good goalies. If you're Montreal, apparently they even grow on trees.

If Tambellini can't do that, fire him and bring in someone who can.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If it's so difficult, how is it that there's like 16-18 other GMs that seem to have no problem finding a serviceable goalie? In some cases they have multiple good goalies. If you're Montreal, apparently they even grow on trees.

Good point.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:

Ilya Brizgalov reminds you the about the Universe....wooohh....and Systems sometimes a goalie make.

But I agree, go get someone. That said, I think Dubnyk could be that someone.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ilya Brizgalov reminds you the about the Universe....wooohh....and Systems sometimes a goalie make.

While my faith in Dubnyk is rattled, he did have decent numbers on the year, and he's a likeable guy, so I agree in that I hope he can find a consistent game and be our guy going forward.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:

Dubnyk is Humangeous Big

Old
05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Soundwave

I think Dubynk's job in reality is not to steal games, but just simply not to allow more than 3 goals a night.

There is going to be so much firepower upfront, I don't think some people can't fathom it yet because lets face it, we don't know what that's like in Edmonton anymore.

How do you explain what it's going to be like for someone to be a millionaire all of the sudden when they've been living on welfare for the last 20 years?

Mentally, I'm not sure a lot of our fanbase is even ready for what's been gifted to us.

Even for me, and I did watch the Oilers in the 80s (albeit I was young) ... it's going to be strange to have other teams checking the calendar when the Oilers come to town. It's going to be weird to walking down the street in Toronto and see some kid wearing an Oilers jersey ... not because they're from Edmonton, but because it's "cool" to like the Oilers now in the same way kids in Toronto wear Ovechkin or Crosby jerseys.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:27 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I think Dubynk's job in reality is not to steal games, but just simply not to allow more than 3 goals a night.

There is going to be so much firepower upfront, I don't think some people can't fathom it yet because lets face it, we don't know what that's like in Edmonton anymore.

How do you explain what it's going to be like for someone to be a millionaire all of the sudden when they've been living on welfare for the last 20 years?

Mentally, I'm not sure a lot of our fanbase is even ready for what's been gifted to us.

Even for me, and I did watch the Oilers in the 80s (albeit I was young) ... it's going to be strange to have other teams checking the calendar when the Oilers come to town. It's going to be weird to be say in Toronto and see some kid wearing an Oilers jersey ... not because they're from Edmonton, but because it's "cool" to like the Oilers now in the same way kids in Toronto wear Ovechkin or Crosby jerseys.
I'm gonna limb it and suggest that may be my issue. I'm so used to a dysfunctional offense, non-existent defense and mediocre goaltending that I'm not processing what we're getting.

The idea that we could be a team that other teams are worried about for once is nice, but not something I've been used to in my lifetime because I've never been able to watch that. I missed the 80's and our '90 Cup. All I've ever seen is futility and first round/second round exits, with almost no one being scared of us.

So the idea of being that team hasn't processed yet. Maybe I should chill out a bit and just see what happens.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I'm gonna limb it and suggest that may be my issue. I'm so used to a dysfunctional offense, non-existent defense and mediocre goaltending that I'm not processing what we're getting.

The idea that we could be a team that other teams are worried about for once is nice, but not something I've been used to in my lifetime because I've never been able to watch that. I missed the 80's and our '90 Cup. All I've ever seen is futility and first round/second round exits, with almost no one being scared of us.

So the idea of being that team hasn't processed yet. Maybe I should chill out a bit and just see what happens.
I think all of us to some degree are having a hard time wrapping our head around.

The idea of a CBC/TSN intro with our team look like an All-Star team intro to me is like ... I can't wrap my head around it.

Sometimes to me it's even weird to see Hall or Nugent Hopkins in an Oilers jersey. Doesn't seem entirely real yet.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
While my faith in Dubnyk is rattled, he did have decent numbers on the year, and he's a likeable guy, so I agree in that I hope he can find a consistent game and be our guy going forward.
Mine was as well, until the end of this season. I saw something different in Dubnyk, more consistent, more battle, smoother and simpler movements and positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Dubnyk is Humangeous Big
He is that, not a bad thing.

I treat Dubnuk this way, give him a 1 year deal this offseason and make him the #1 goaltender. That's means he trains all offseason and comes into camp as the #1 guy, let him run with it and if he can't find consistency in the first month to 6 weeks, then you waive him and go in another direction.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
McAequitas

Quote:
I treat Dubnuk this way, give him a 1 year deal this offseason and make him the #1 goaltender. That's means he trains all offseason and comes into camp as the #1 guy, let him run with it and if he can't find consistency in the first month to 6 weeks, then you waive him and go in another direction.
why can't he be our backup? he has been fairly reliable on that position

Old
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
why can't he be our backup? he has been fairly reliable on that position
I guess, he could, but Habby's not going anywhere, so unless the Oilers want some kind of 3 headed monster, it's pretty much useless to keep Dubnyk if you don't feel he can be your starter.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Doesn't specify in the scouting report. Just points out that he isn't "particularly big or athletic."
I have this weird thing called a "job". Might have heard of it? It means I can't watch all 82 games year in and out. I try to watch when I can as a fan of the team since I was small, but those times are few and far between.
And as a "fan" you might know that almost every Oiler game is on in the "evening" similar to the times you are posting at.

Quote:
For a guy who almost catches no games in a year, how would your "faith" in someone you almost never watch or know anything about be "rattled"?

Quote:

Again for someone who almost "never" watches a game because of his "job" yet somehow you are "used" to a dysfunctional offense.

The collar doesn't match the cufflinks when it comes to the things you make statements about. (IE the Oilers)

On the bright side, lets not let reality get in the way of the story you are selling.

Oh yea, I'll have a double quarter pounder combo and a coke.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
And as a "fan" you might know that almost every Oiler game is on in the "evening" similar to the times you are posting at.

For a guy who almost catches no games in a year, how would your "faith" in someone you almost never watch or know anything about be "rattled"?

Again for someone who almost "never" watches a game because of his "job" yet somehow you are "used" to a dysfunctional offense.

The collar doesn't match the cufflinks when it comes to the things you make statements about. (IE the Oilers)

On the bright side, lets not let reality get in the way of the story you are selling.

Hey, a BigMac, it's McHappy day.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post

You don't like me. Whatever. I screwed up and admitted it. Your problem, not mine.

I'm done with you. Like I said, I'm gonna chill the **** out a bit and see how things play out instead of making blanket statements.

Quote:
Mine was as well, until the end of this season. I saw something different in Dubnyk, more consistent, more battle, smoother and simpler movements and positioning.
I do agree, the times I was able to see him down the stretch, he did look a little calmer and in position more often than he was before.

Last edited by April McEthereal: 05-02-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
as for Yakupov, I have to admit the Russian factor is starting to get me more and more nervous by the day. I just watched Semin take a penalty in O/T and second careless one of the game. the guy's head just isn't in the game. he still playing like it's November.

I dunno, we've seen so many Russian wingers that were a waste of talent. I am no longer in the 'you just can't trade the first pick' camp. if the deal is there, do it. or pick him and don't be surprized if we move him within 2 years.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
as for Yakupov, I have to admit the Russian factor is starting to get me more and more nervous by the day. I just watched Semin take a penalty in O/T and second careless one of the game. the guy's head just isn't in the game. he still playing like it's November.

I dunno, we've seen so many Russian wingers that were a waste of talent. I am no longer in the 'you just can't trade the first pick' camp. if the deal is there, do it. or pick him and don't be surprized if we move him within 2 years.
I'm not worried one bit.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:

I used to be worried, then I decided to listen to the other posters here.

The kid played in the CHL. If that isn't a sign that he wants to be here and play the best, then I don't know what else he can do. What I wrote off as "just being nice" was him flat out saying he's excited to be here if/when we pick him.

I don't think we have a lot to worry about anymore.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:

watch his interviews, the kid wants to be the best player in the world, doing so in the greatest league (NHL), he doesn't like comparisons, he wants to be known as yakupov, not bure or ovy, but yakupov the greatest player in the game. In his mind the nhl and winning a stanley cup is huge, its the ultimate goal, his want to win and achive would be second to Hall.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
McAequitas

Quote:

fedorov, bure, malkin, kovalchuk, larionov.... like seriously I'm sick of this argument... at best its generalizing at worst its stereotyping. He is a Tatar which if you didn't know is Muslim. It's like saying someone born in BC is the same as Newfoundland. Not only that there are quite a few examples of Canadians being just as messed up as russians.... Sean Avery anyone?

Old
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Old
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
fedorov, bure, malkin, kovalchuk, larionov.... like seriously I'm sick of this argument... at best its generalizing at worst its stereotyping. He is a Tatar which if you didn't know is Muslim. It's like saying someone born in BC is the same as Newfoundland. Not only that there are quite a few examples of Canadians being just as messed up as russians.... Sean Avery anyone?
See, the thing that irritates me is that it goes both ways. Russians are stereotyped as soft and lazy, and Canadians are stereotyped as thugs and hooligans.

Russian fans seem to love dishing it out, but can't seem to take it back.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Ammerhammer

It's sad how people are judging nail according to other russians in NHL. What they do and how they play has nothing to do with how Nail plays and what he does on and off The ice.

Every player should be judged individually, not according to how others play.

The dirtiest players in The league are Canadian so I guess we shpuldnt draft them. Either. This is just stupid

Old
05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
McAequitas

Quote:
See, the thing that irritates me is that it goes both ways. Russians are stereotyped as soft and lazy, and Canadians are stereotyped as thugs and hooligans.

Russian fans seem to love dishing it out, but can't seem to take it back.
Ok? The point I was making was that it doesn't matter what country someone is from they are only going to be themselves. Yes there is a risk that russians will want to play in the KHL but the reason that isn't a problem for Canadians is because the AHL/NHL is their home league. But that does not mean that all russians are going to be like radulov or semin. My point was there are quite a few (just off the top of my head) that not only are great players but lead their teams in playoffs (Malkin won conn smythe over crosby).

On a side note. The generalization of Canadians as grinder and russians as skilled is based in some fact. The difference in style of game from Russia to Canada is well documented. The smaller surface and teaching our kids recieve instills a hard nosed grinding style of play (even if they have skill) where as Russians have the larger surface and tend to go for the more skilled play while growing up.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Ok? The point I was making was that it doesn't matter what country someone is from they are only going to be themselves. Yes there is a risk that russians will want to play in the KHL but the reason that isn't a problem for Canadians is because the AHL/NHL is their home league. But that does not mean that all russians are going to be like radulov or semin. My point was there are quite a few (just off the top of my head) that not only are great players but lead their teams in playoffs (Malkin won conn smythe over crosby).

On a side note. The generalization of Canadians as grinder and russians as skilled is based in some fact. The difference in style of game from Russia to Canada is well documented. The smaller surface and teaching our kids recieve instills a hard nosed grinding style of play (even if they have skill) where as Russians have the larger surface and tend to go for the more skilled play while growing up.
Good point and agreed.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
well, i said wingers. Fed, Malkin, Larionov were all centers (you forgot Datziuk). Bure was a cherry picker that never battled for anything; just a sniper that brought not a single thing else, and Kovalchuk is pretty much the same. those 2 ABSOLUTELY fall into the Russian factor catagory. their talent was just so high they could/can get away with it.

and what does him being a tatar have anything to do with anything? so, that makes him vastly different and the battle of Doan? (Nazeem Kadri says hi)

just saying i'm not into the 'never trade a 1st NO MATTER WHAT'. if there is a decent deal for a centre (Stahl) or trade down for a top 4 D and a top 5 pick, i might just do it.

remember, they have the chance to guarentee themselves a great player or 2 very good players. with a russian, it is a guarentte he is a great talent, but not a guarentee he is a committed player. are 2 very good players better than 1 kovalchuk? quite possibly.

btw, someone born in NFL is the same as someone born in BC. same nationality, and culturally not that different. beer drinking hosers.

Closed Thread