HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Magnus

vCash: 500
I don't think anyone is denying that Ryan Murray will be a good player. As I said before, I see him as a smaller Bouwmeester. A guy who skates well, can move the puck up the ice, but may leave you wanting in the physicality department and may likely never put up the offense you would want. That's not to say most teams would not want such a player in their line-up, but he wouldn't compare in value to a dynamic winger putting up 30+ goals.
Its possible Murray could develop an offensive aspect to his game, but that tends to happen after defencemen are allowed develop and put up points in junior. And let's face it, Edmonton would not do that. If the Oilers chose Murray, he'd be put on the team right away.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
well, i said wingers. Fed, Malkin, Larionov were all centers (you forgot Datziuk). Bure was a cherry picker that never battled for anything; just a sniper that brought not a single thing else, and Kovalchuk is pretty much the same. those 2 ABSOLUTELY fall into the Russian factor catagory. their talent was just so high they could/can get away with it.

and what does him being a tatar have anything to do with anything? so, that makes him vastly different and the battle of Doan? (Nazeem Kadri says hi)

just saying i'm not into the 'never trade a 1st NO MATTER WHAT'. if there is a decent deal for a centre (Stahl) or trade down for a top 4 D and a top 5 pick, i might just do it.

remember, they have the chance to guarentee themselves a great player or 2 very good players. with a russian, it is a guarentte he is a great talent, but not a guarentee he is a committed player. are 2 very good players better than 1 kovalchuk? quite possibly.
Bure
GP64 G35 A35 P70

Kovalchuk
GP9 G3 A5 P8

Those are the playoff stats of the "cherry pickers". I am sorry but anyone who doesn't give 100% in the playoffs is not going to be a ppg player. Also you could say I don't believe Nail will be commited and give a reason but unfortunately you continue to peddle the garbage that because he was born within a political area he will be a certain way. The players I mentioned are extremely committed and leaders of their teams in playoffs. Just because you don't like a style of play doesn't make it wrong or inneffective. I don't see how you can sit here and post generalizations as facts. Untill we see this kid play in the NHL no one knows what he will become and some ridiculous statement saying you know he won't be what we need because he is russian is just moronic.

Edit: Also would like to point out that we would never get Staal + for 1st overall and even if it was staal for nail I wouldn't do it. secondly you clearly have no clue about people at all if you think people from BC are even close to NFL. Its night and day. Kadri is Canadian by the way so ya...

Also would like to point out the Iginla and Crosby are both Canadian and yet they play drastically different games. Heatley is a Canadian and he is inneffective at best. I would never say those 3 men are the same because they are Canadian and if you do I don't see the point of even trying to talk to someone like you.

Last edited by Aequitas: 05-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 10:50 PM
t0nedeff

Quote:
well, i said wingers. Fed, Malkin, Larionov were all centers (you forgot Datziuk). Bure was a cherry picker that never battled for anything; just a sniper that brought not a single thing else, and Kovalchuk is pretty much the same. those 2 ABSOLUTELY fall into the Russian factor catagory. their talent was just so high they could/can get away with it.

and what does him being a tatar have anything to do with anything? so, that makes him vastly different and the battle of Doan? (Nazeem Kadri says hi)

just saying i'm not into the 'never trade a 1st NO MATTER WHAT'. if there is a decent deal for a centre (Stahl) or trade down for a top 4 D and a top 5 pick, i might just do it.

remember, they have the chance to guarentee themselves a great player or 2 very good players. with a russian, it is a guarentte he is a great talent, but not a guarentee he is a committed player. are 2 very good players better than 1 kovalchuk? quite possibly.

btw, someone born in NFL is the same as someone born in BC. same nationality, and culturally not that different. beer drinking hosers.
Who the hell is Datziuk? Stahl? who the **** is that? Honestly, if you can't even spell these players names right why should anyone take your opinion seriously. I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk has turned his play into a very complete game so how about we not even pay attention to that little tidbit. Bure was nothing but a cherry picker? I'll take a player who scored 50 or more 5 times any day of the week over a player who is a borderline 2nd line center who most likely will never eclipse 60 points.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
wait, Kovalchuk a cherry picker who doesn't bring anything? He's a pure powerforward who's very good defensively and even penalty kills

Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
wait, Kovalchuk a cherry picker who doesn't bring anything? He's a pure powerforward who's very good defensively and even penalty kills
He also had a draw in a fistacuffs against m.comrie, that counts for something

Old
05-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

btw, someone born in NFL is the same as someone born in BC. same nationality, and culturally not that different. beer drinking hosers.
Datziuk? Stahl? You can't be serious...

Old
05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

Quote:
R Nail Yakupov: Exceptional talent, he was tracking a little ahead of Taylor Hall’s NHLE before his knee injury. That injury and need may mean he goes below #1, but it's a decision that could easily backfire on a team passing on the Russian.

D Ryan Murray: Murray does a lot of good things at the defensive end. Almost as important for the Oilers: he’s possibly the most NHL ready player in this season’s entry draft. Knowing the Oilers tradition of avoiding Russian kids, I think it’s reasonable to suggest the possibility exists Edmonton would take Murray #1 overall.

I'm seriously beginning to believe that guys like Lowetide are just saying @#$^ in order to get people to click on their articles.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Datziuk? Stahl? You can't be serious...
Ok seriously, attack the point, not the poster.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:43 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
well he actually pulled comries hair but yeah, he dropped the gloves

Old
05-03-2012, 12:53 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Point of the post is incorrect, much like the spelling.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
he legitimately rag dolled brayden schenn who is a tank.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:14 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
he legitimately rag dolled brayden schenn who is a tank.
Brayden Shenn is a kid..shouldnt be too proud of that..man strength usually doesn't kick in till 22-23yrs old..
My point is kovalchuk shouldve destroyed comrie considering he had like 30 lbs on the guy

Old
05-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
He doesn't have a point.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
From everything I've read and seen, I think Tambo pretty much defers completely to Stu and the scouting staff for their picks.
Tambo told Stu that he wanted bigger/harder to play against guys prior to the 2010 draft and Stu pointed Tambo in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I'm seriously beginning to believe that guys like Lowetide are just saying @#$^ in order to get people to click on their articles.
Not sure about LT as he already has a massive following, but I believe this about a number of bloggers, I figure that many of them couldn't possibly believe the nonsense that they spew. Like I said in another thread LT is a fan just like any of us, and has been wrong many times just like any of us, the difference being that he has a ton of fans who treat his word like gospel. Murray at #1 would be an epic disappointment IMO.

05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Murray at #1 would be an epic disappointment IMO.
That's putting it mildly. It would be a colossal F up. Trading down to pick Murray would be stupid, but at least somewhat justifiable, but flat out picking Murray #1? Get the tar and feathers boys.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nedeff View Post
Who the hell is Datziuk? Stahl? who the **** is that? Honestly, if you can't even spell these players names right why should anyone take your opinion seriously. I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk has turned his play into a very complete game so how about we not even pay attention to that little tidbit. Bure was nothing but a cherry picker? I'll take a player who scored 50 or more 5 times any day of the week over a player who is a borderline 2nd line center who most likely will never eclipse 60 points.
sorry teacher. the point is... <mod edit>... a russian player picked high makes me nervous. and there is no shortage of examples supporting this view point.

if they take the Yak, he will be an oiler and therefore i will be a fan. i also trust the oil to do their research on the kid. some one made a good point on Heatley, another dog. but come on guys, you have to admit, we would all be alot more comfortable if the BPA was Canadian, or Swedish.

Last edited by s7ark: 05-03-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: let's not resort to name calling
Old
05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

No, I'm fine with him being Russian, actually.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Bure
GP64 G35 A35 P70

Kovalchuk
GP9 G3 A5 P8

Those are the playoff stats of the "cherry pickers". I am sorry but anyone who doesn't give 100% in the playoffs is not going to be a ppg player. Also you could say I don't believe Nail will be commited and give a reason but unfortunately you continue to peddle the garbage that because he was born within a political area he will be a certain way. The players I mentioned are extremely committed and leaders of their teams in playoffs. Just because you don't like a style of play doesn't make it wrong or inneffective. I don't see how you can sit here and post generalizations as facts. Untill we see this kid play in the NHL no one knows what he will become and some ridiculous statement saying you know he won't be what we need because he is russian is just moronic.

Edit: Also would like to point out that we would never get Staal + for 1st overall and even if it was staal for nail I wouldn't do it. secondly you clearly have no clue about people at all if you think people from BC are even close to NFL. Its night and day. Kadri is Canadian by the way so ya...

Also would like to point out the Iginla and Crosby are both Canadian and yet they play drastically different games. Heatley is a Canadian and he is inneffective at best. I would never say those 3 men are the same because they are Canadian and if you do I don't see the point of even trying to talk to someone like you.
Agreed. Bure had an insatiable hunger to score goals. Offensively, he was as determined as any player could be. You could tell when he wanted the puck, he hustled like no other; his desire was to play exciting hockey and entertain the fans.

While he wasn't great defensively, Bure was driven to score. Many of his teammates say he loved to score. Anyone who watched him knew that, especially Canucks fans. He put on a show every night, and is the reason why he may be the most popular Canuck of all time. If Pat Quinn hadn't mistreated Bure and completely mishandled him, Bure would never have left, and we would already have seen his jersey retired here. I am tremendously excited about the idea of Yakupov playing for the Oilers. If Nail can be anywhere as exciting as Bure was, he will be a favorite in Edmonton for sure.

Here's a great feature on Pavel by Global TV BC in 2004.

And here's one from 1996 conducted by CBS.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 05-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
No, I'm fine with him being Russian, actually.
This needs to be restated as Much as Possible.

If Nail Yakupov wanted to be a KHL player, he would be one RIGHT NOW, he's turned down offers to play there.

So maybe cut the kid some Slack, just because he isn't Dale Yakup from Flin Flon.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

whats the likely hood that the oilers would make a trade with columbus? i know its prob been asked before but i think they could really benefit from doing it. EDM would get a good dman in ryan murray which they need and they still could potentially get the 1st overall next year too and maybe some other good picks or players. i know my trade could be far off but you get the idea

Oilers get: 2012 2nd overall, 2013 1st rd from col., what ever else
Columbus gets: 2012 1st overall, hemsky (or other players), 2013 2nd or 3rd from edm

Old
05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
whats the likely hood that the oilers would make a trade with columbus? i know its prob been asked before but i think they could really benefit from doing it. EDM would get a good dman in ryan murray which they need and they still could potentially get the 1st overall next year too and maybe some other good picks or players. i know my trade could be far off but you get the idea

Columbus gets: 2012 1st overall, hemsky (or other players), 2013 2nd or 3rd from edm
We're trying to become a competitive team, not be in a perpetual rebuild. Big time no thanks.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post

Again - Edmonton needs more scoring. We were closer to being among the top teams in terms of GA than we were in GF. We are not "set" up front.

Yes, we could use a top pairing Dman, but we could use a franchise winger just as much, if not more. And the problem is, all the Dmen in the draft have tons of question marks surrounding them - whether any of the top guys (Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Reinhart, etc..) will be top pairing guys seems to be very much up in the air. Whether Yakupov can be a top line player is almost undisputed.

18-19 year old forwards can often make an impact right out of the gate. 18-19 year old Dmen rarely do.

Furthermore - We have Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat who all still show some promise. The potential to sign Justin Schultz. If even one of those guys pan out, all of a sudden our D is really not bad, especially if Whitney can regain the form he had in 2010-2011 before he got hurt.

Whitney - Smid
N Schultz - Petry
J Schultz/Teubert/Sutton/Potter

That's really not a terrible blue line, even without acquiring J Schultz. Plus we could even sign some other UFA Dman.

We NEED Yakupov more than any Dman in this draft.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
beaterson

How many of you would trade Nail for Couturier + a highish pick?
Gudbranson + a highish pick?

Old
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This needs to be restated as Much as Possible.

If Nail Yakupov wanted to be a KHL player, he would be one RIGHT NOW, he's turned down offers to play there.

So maybe cut the kid some Slack, just because he isn't Dale Yakup from Flin Flon.
He's being immersed in a culture where everybody around him wants him to play in the NHL. His best friend is ready to play in the NHL. His agent and mentor, Igor Larionov, has also apparently cut ties with the Russian development program. His friend, Alyonka (Igor's daughter), is a journalist for the NHL.

I don't see any chance of him ever bolting for the KHL. He left Russia when he was 15, and everybody close to him has ties to the NHL. I reckon he would be pretty lonely in Russia, aside from being back home with his family. His friends all live in North America.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
He's being immersed in a culture where everybody around him wants him to play in the NHL. His best friend is ready to play in the NHL. His agent and mentor, Igor Larionov, has also apparently cut ties with the Russian development program. His friend, Alyonka (Igor's daughter), is a journalist for the NHL.

I don't see any chance of him ever bolting for the KHL. He left Russia when he was 15, and everybody close to him has ties to the NHL. I reckon he would be pretty lonely in Russia, aside from being back home with his family. His friends all live in North America.
Being Russian and having the KHL as an option does not guarantee problems by any stretch but ignoring the fact that the KHL has proven to not only be an attractive option for Russian players but also proven at times to be a heavy handed influence that is unique to Russian players as a group is at the peril of any team that drafts him.

It goes without saying that a #1 pick needs to be a guarantee to the team drafting him. If he was even a mid-late 1st rounder the expectations on the player would be more in line with any risk of him not being as committed as you would hope.

Closed Thread