HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
sorry teacher. the point is... <mod edit>... a russian player picked high makes me nervous. and there is no shortage of examples supporting this view point.

if they take the Yak, he will be an oiler and therefore i will be a fan. i also trust the oil to do their research on the kid. some one made a good point on Heatley, another dog. but come on guys, you have to admit, we would all be alot more comfortable if the BPA was Canadian, or Swedish.
Can you list some of these examples? Remember we are talking about a guy that is viewed as the best in his draft class, 1st overall pick material. Radulov and Kuznetsov don't count.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Kovalchuk
GP9 G3 A5 P8
Maybe that is the most telling part of that stat is GP through his first 11 seasons?

Although his games per year is almost as good as his PPG so it's probably all good.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Can you list some of these examples? Remember we are talking about a guy that is viewed as the best in his draft class, 1st overall pick material. Radulov and Kuznetsov don't count.
Exactly, what Russian thats ever went 1st overall has gone back to Russia? It's thinking like this that allowed Federov to go in the 4th, Mogilny to slip to the 5th round, Bure to the 6th. Three of the best Russians of all time.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
sorry teacher. the point is... <mod edit>... a russian player picked high makes me nervous. and there is no shortage of examples supporting this view point.

if they take the Yak, he will be an oiler and therefore i will be a fan. i also trust the oil to do their research on the kid. some one made a good point on Heatley, another dog. but come on guys, you have to admit, we would all be alot more comfortable if the BPA was Canadian, or Swedish.
It honestly doesn't matter to me.

This whole Russian thing is a little ridiculous. There isn't much more a guy like Yakupov can do to say that he wants to play in the NHL long term.

Not only that, but if a guy doesn't want to play for an NHL team, it honestly doesn't matter if he's Russian, Canadian or Martian, he'll do it anyway.

Look at Wheeler, Blake Kessel, Jason Gregoire, Justin Schultz. All young players drafted by their teams who didn't want to play for their drafted team and forced a trade.

Tim Erixon is Swedish and didn't want to play for a Flames and forced a trade for the Rangers for a return that was well under value.

Riley Nash, 1st round Canadian who burned us.

Everything about Yakupov that has been told to us indicates he's here for the long haul. His agent, Larianov, is a very pro-NHL guy and a quality person. He's turned down multiple offers from KHL teams. He came over early to the CHL to play in NA and to learn the language and life style.

No fear in the whole 'Yakupov will return to the KHL' for me.

05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It's thinking like this that allowed Federov to go in the 4th, Mogilny to slip to the 5th round, Bure to the 6th. Three of the best Russians of all time.
Sorry I gotta ask, is this a serious comment?

Old
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
No, I'm fine with him being Russian, actually.
Ditto. He could be from Jamaica for all i care. If he's the #1 guy and BPA, you take him regardless of where he was born.

No brainer IMO.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
whats the likely hood that the oilers would make a trade with columbus? i know its prob been asked before but i think they could really benefit from doing it. EDM would get a good dman in ryan murray which they need and they still could potentially get the 1st overall next year too and maybe some other good picks or players. i know my trade could be far off but you get the idea

Oilers get: 2012 2nd overall, 2013 1st rd from col., what ever else
Columbus gets: 2012 1st overall, hemsky (or other players), 2013 2nd or 3rd from edm

Who the hell wants a "good" player when you can have an elite player??

Old
05-03-2012, 12:25 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

KEEP THE PICK AND SELECT YAKUPOV. Let the other teams gamble on the d-men and centres. Even without another lottery selection this team is looking deadly for the future.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
czar99

Only two things come to my mind when I think about Yakupov. First is the Oilers don't have a big history with Russian players. I can only think of three, Miranov, Kovalenko and Samsanov. What that means I don't know. Probably nothing.

Second thing is how is he going to gel with the other big three Canadians on the team. Yakupov and Hall seem to have very strong personalities and I could see that going really good or really, really bad. Hall strikes me as the type of guy who doesnt like his thunder taken away. Yakupov has his comrade in Sarnia. He could start to feel alienated in Edmonton if the boys don't welcome him with open arms.

As far as questioning Yakupov's commitment to stay in north America is just ludacriss. Someone posted in a earlier thread that Yakupovs coach said that Yakupov was the most committed player on and of the ice that he has ever coached and that includes the likes of Stamkos.

If he becomes an Oiler and gels with the rest of the guys there is no dought in my mind that he will be the best player of the four kids.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
KEEP THE PICK AND SELECT YAKUPOV. Let the other teams gamble on the d-men and centres. Even without another lottery selection this team is looking deadly for the future.
I'm with you there, I so sick of listening to this argument, but thats the joy of being an oiler fan, 2 months of torturing ourselves about the possibility that we will mess it up, or the russian factor, or convincing ourselves that he's not that good.

It really comes down to the fact that, do you want to be the team that passed on yakupov, theres less shame picking the guys that should be the best player, than picking someone else and potentially watching the 1st pick score 50

Old
05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I'm with you there, I so sick of listening to this argument, but thats the joy of being an oiler fan, 2 months of torturing ourselves about the possibility that we will mess it up, or the russian factor, or convincing ourselves that he's not that good.

It really comes down to the fact that, do you want to be the team that passed on yakupov, theres less shame picking the guys that should be the best player, than picking someone else and potentially watching the 1st pick score 50
I have a way around that, from now on we refer to Nail, as Nate Yaki from Burnaby. Problem solved. I mean it makes as much sense as panicking about the "Russian Factor", just pretend he's a regular old #1 rated prospect, and it's not close, in the a Entry draft

I want NATE

Old
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Only two things come to my mind when I think about Yakupov. First is the Oilers don't have a big history with Russian players. I can only think of three, Miranov, Kovalenko and Samsanov. What that means I don't know. Probably nothing.

Second thing is how is he going to gel with the other big three Canadians on the team. Yakupov and Hall seem to have very strong personalities and I could see that going really good or really, really bad. Hall strikes me as the type of guy who doesnt like his thunder taken away. Yakupov has his comrade in Sarnia. He could start to feel alienated in Edmonton if the boys don't welcome him with open arms.

As far as questioning Yakupov's commitment to stay in north America is just ludacriss. Someone posted in a earlier thread that Yakupovs coach said that Yakupov was the most committed player on and of the ice that he has ever coached and that includes the likes of Stamkos.

If he becomes an Oiler and gels with the rest of the guys there is no dought in my mind that he will be the best player of the four kids.
I would argue that halls thunder has been stolen by both ebs and RNH, hall will have his moments in the playoffs I believe but its not crazy to think of hall as our 3rd best player in terms of points, but his drive in any given game is second to none.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

I don't think you give Hall enough credit. He's already come out and said he hopes we take Yakupov and that he wants to play with him. I am certain the kids would welcome a guy who can potentially score 40 goals for the team, no matter where he was born. Hall's primary concern is winning and Yakupov helps that.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:51 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I would argue that halls thunder has been stolen by both ebs and RNH, hall will have his moments in the playoffs I believe but its not crazy to think of hall as our 3rd best player in terms of points, but his drive in any given game is second to none.
No dought in my mind have RNH and Ebs surpassed Hall in the skill part. It's that second to none part that might be in jeopardy.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Bryanbryoil

The thing that many of those here seem to forget since we have been spoiled with Hall, Eberle, and now the Nuge is that ELITE talent is VERY hard to come by. Elite young talent with a very low % chance of busting is damn near impossible to come by. Imagine the team without 1 of our big 3, it's not hard since both RNH and Hall spent some significant time on the IR. Now imagine it with those 3 AND another elite talent. 4 young superstars, they will create match-up nightmares for opposing teams. While a guy like Murray could no doubt help our team going forward, Nail's elite talent will help us more whether it's by playing for us or if we eventually trade him. Murray is a non-starter, this is coming from someone that really likes his game. You take the elite talent and then you throw the kitchen sink at Schultz, trade Gagner for a mid 1st or a young D with a similar pedigree, move Hall to C, and we are in good shape going forward. You do not pass up on elite talent, would any of you be happy if we passed up on Hall and Seguin for Gudbranson? Passed up on RNH and Landeskog for Larsson or Hamilton? The emergence of Smid and Petry as well as the acquisition of Nick Schultz means that suddenly our defense isn't anywhere near as big of a priority as it was. If Klefbom takes another step forward this year in Sweden, he might not ever play an AHL game and could step right into our bottom pairing at the ripe old age of 20. Take Nail, make some other needed moves, and we will be a force to be reckoned with.

05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I have a way around that, from now on we refer to Nail, as Nate Yaki from Burnaby. Problem solved. I mean it makes as much sense as panicking about the "Russian Factor", just pretend he's a regular old #1 rated prospect, and it's not close, in the a Entry draft

I want NATE
DRAFT NATE!!!! problem solved

Old
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The thing that many of those here seem to forget since we have been spoiled with Hall, Eberle, and now the Nuge is that ELITE talent is VERY hard to come by. Elite young talent with a very low % chance of busting is damn near impossible to come by. Imagine the team without 1 of our big 3, it's not hard since both RNH and Hall spent some significant time on the IR. Now imagine it with those 3 AND another elite talent. 4 young superstars, they will create match-up nightmares for opposing teams. While a guy like Murray could no doubt help our team going forward, Nail's elite talent will help us more whether it's by playing for us or if we eventually trade him. Murray is a non-starter, this is coming from someone that really likes his game. You take the elite talent and then you throw the kitchen sink at Schultz, trade Gagner for a mid 1st or a young D with a similar pedigree, move Hall to C, and we are in good shape going forward. You do not pass up on elite talent, would any of you be happy if we passed up on Hall and Seguin for Gudbranson? Passed up on RNH and Landeskog for Larsson or Hamilton? The emergence of Smid and Petry as well as the acquisition of Nick Schultz means that suddenly our defense isn't anywhere near as big of a priority as it was. If Klefbom takes another step forward this year in Sweden, he might not ever play an AHL game and could step right into our bottom pairing at the ripe old age of 20. Take Nail, make some other needed moves, and we will be a force to be reckoned with.
Well said...

Old
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't think you give Hall enough credit. He's already come out and said he hopes we take Yakupov and that he wants to play with him. I am certain the kids would welcome a guy who can potentially score 40 goals for the team, no matter where he was born. Hall's primary concern is winning and Yakupov helps that.
Your probably right. I think I'm just thinking of parts of the season when Ebs and RNH were on fire and they were scoring and you could kind of see in Halls jesturing that he was a little jealous it wasn't him being the hero. I guess that's just apart of being young and a learning and the maturing thing. Maybe I'm not giving Hall enough credit.

I guess my big concern is that, where does Yakupov fit into the Oilers socially? Which is a very important thing to team chemistry.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Starscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Exactly, what Russian thats ever went 1st overall has gone back to Russia? It's thinking like this that allowed Federov to go in the 4th, Mogilny to slip to the 5th round, Bure to the 6th. Three of the best Russians of all time.
If I remember correctly Bure slipped to the 6th round because everyone thought he wasn't draft eligible until the next draft

Old
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
czar99

@240SX93 and Jimmy Jenkins

I defiantly don't want to be the team that passed on Nate Yaki of Burnaby.

@BBO

Yes to every point you made.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Wow one of the best posts I've read in a long time

Old
05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Your probably right. I think I'm just thinking of parts of the season when Ebs and RNH were on fire and they were scoring and you could kind of see in Halls jesturing that he was a little jealous it wasn't him being the hero. I guess that's just apart of being young and a learning and the maturing thing. Maybe I'm not giving Hall enough credit.

I guess my big concern is that, where does Yakupov fit into the Oilers socially? Which is a very important thing to team chemistry.
From all reports, Yakupov was very well liked by his teammates and coaches at Sarnia. He's intense on the ice but apparently very laid back off it. I remember reading stuff even last year about how well liked Yakupov was by teammates.

Obviously he still has a bit to go before mastering his english but that will come in time I'm guessing. I'm not big on Khabi but he might be crucial in helping Yakupov adjust to Edmonton. Who would have thougth that? Khabi being important to the Oilers

Old
05-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Starscream

Quote:
Well put BBO

Old
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
From all reports, Yakupov was very well liked by his teammates and coaches at Sarnia. He's intense on the ice but apparently very laid back off it. I remember reading stuff even last year about how well liked Yakupov was by teammates.

Obviously he still has a bit to go before mastering his english but that will come in time I'm guessing. I'm not big on Khabi but he might be crucial in helping Yakupov adjust to Edmonton. Who would have thougth that? Khabi being important to the Oilers
Make that four Russians that I can think of that played for the Oilers.

how the hell could I have missed Khabi.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

Yakupov is very well liked in Sarnia. Reportedly, he has an all business attitude at the rink while being one of the funnest guys to hang out with outside it.

And while I agree Hall does want to be the best(and he still can, imo) I think his love of winning trumps everything. Look at the 5-5 goal Eberle scored in the WJC in the gold medal game. Hall wasn't pouting that he didn't pot it, he was the first guy to jump on Ebs.

Closed Thread