HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I find it hard to imagine Dumba being taken ahead of Reilly, let alone Yakupov. This isn't September, his stock has fallen a good bit.
You don't think his incredible U18s is a sufficient counter-weight? Being named Best Forward has ordained Forsberg a top-three pick, potentially the 2nd overall selection.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Gut feeling based on:

-Edmonton has shown little desire to draft Russians
-From interviews, I get the feeling Stu is a big fan of Murray
-Edmonton has a pretty full top 6
-Edmonton needs quality D
-I don't trust our management team
- Can you show me a time since Stu took over that a Russian was clearly the best player for the Oilers pick and they passed? Also there is a legit concern with drafting Russians later that isn't as big an issue for a guy expected to go 1st overall.
- Of course, Murray is a great player. But Stu also says he drafts by BPA when that high, which Yakupov clearly is. Why couldn't Stu be more interested in trading up for a 2nd top 3 pick to grab both?
- They do? Who else do they have that can score reliably after the big 3?
- Yes they do, and Murray isn't likely to turn into one for a number of years, so he doesn't really help solve that problem right now.
- Stu has done a good job since he took over. I see no reason to expect fail from him going forward, unless he does something boneheaded like passing on the consensus pick.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
DrDrai

Its annoying to have this argument every year, its so bloody clear that yakupov is the guy, but because oiler fans and media have nothing else to talk about they try to cloud the picture. Come draft day yakupov will be an oiler, if there will be any trades it will surround guys like gagner, mps, and players that could be made expendable to trade for a dman.

If we can draft yakupov, sign justin schultz and package gagner, mps, or others to get either a top 10 pick or top 4 d man id be happy.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
- Can you show me a time since Stu took over that a Russian was clearly the best player for the Oilers pick and they passed? Also there is a legit concern with drafting Russians later that isn't as big an issue for a guy expected to go 1st overall.
Do you think it's Stu's ultimate decision on who we draft? I think Tambo and Lowe still heavily influence on who they pick. Especially if they think a player may not fit in with the culture or is a risk of going to the KHL. They drafted Mikhonov and got burned on that one and they passed on Cherapanov - I don't think it's a stretch to think that all things being equal, they'd prefer not to draft Russian. I agree having him playing in North America already is a positive, but I still think this thought weighs

Quote:
- Of course, Murray is a great player. But Stu also says he drafts by BPA when that high, which Yakupov clearly is. Why couldn't Stu be more interested in trading up for a 2nd top 3 pick to grab both?
I'm still not sold that our guys think yakupov is the undisputed best player. Stu's spoken very highly of Murray and having him invited to the WC's isn't a coincidence either IMO. Considering we don't have a 1st rounder to trade to move up into the top 3, I don't think that is very likely at all.

Quote:
- They do? Who else do they have that can score reliably after the big 3?
Gagner, Hemsky & Pajaarvi will all be in the running for top 6 roles next year, and that's not considering the need for an experienced player to play in our top 6. I don't see a lot of room there.

Quote:
- Yes they do, and Murray isn't likely to turn into one for a number of years, so he doesn't really help solve that problem right now.
Murray is being listed as the most NHL ready Dman in the 2012 draft, it's not a stretch to expect him to turn pro next year. His inclusion in the WCs also shows that he's ready for high level hockey.

Quote:
- Stu has done a good job since he took over. I see no reason to expect fail from him going forward, unless he does something boneheaded like passing on the consensus pick.
I also have faith in Stu, but I don't think our management team runs with everything he wants or suggests.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

From everything I've read and seen, I think Tambo pretty much defers completely to Stu and the scouting staff for their picks.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
From everything I've read and seen, I think Tambo pretty much defers completely to Stu and the scouting staff for their picks.
Yeah and when you think about how many times Stu and his scouts watch these players play during the year compared to how many time Tambo does, it would be a complete fallacy for a team to have it any other way.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Soundwave

I think Lowe likes Yakupov, but that's just a hunch. He spoke pretty highly of him and he's a big game hunter, and Yakupov is the biggest game player in this draft.

I think sending Murray to the WJCs was something the Oilers were thinking about prior to the lottery selection because they didn't expect to be in the position to draft Yakupov period.

They probably figured they might as well send him anyway just to get a look as they were planning to beforehand anyway.

I also think given time to think about it, neither Lowe/Tambellini want to be known as the "guys who passed on Yakupov" for next 10 years.

Honestly if you're Tambellini and this move doesn't work out for you, you really could very easily be fired in 2-3 years and never get another shot at a GM job in the NHL again.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
The Ovechkin situation is freaking them out and they are having second thoughts.

They will take Murray or trade down.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
Its annoying to have this argument every year, its so bloody clear that yakupov is the guy, but because oiler fans and media have nothing else to talk about they try to cloud the picture. Come draft day yakupov will be an oiler, if there will be any trades it will surround guys like gagner, mps, and players that could be made expendable to trade for a dman.

If we can draft yakupov, sign justin schultz and package gagner, mps, or others to get either a top 10 pick or top 4 d man id be happy.
I think there are things to consider here but agree with your conclusion. There are other assets that can be traded and when you can get an elite player you do it. Unless the perfect trade is offered and I mean perfect. And that is rare. I think all tambi will do is listen. Then take yak.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The Ovechkin situation is freaking them out and they are having second thoughts.

No offence, but Ovechkin would be hands down the best player on this team.

He scores more than Taylor Hall even in his worst seasons.

If the Oilers pass on Yakupov for Ryan Murray and Ryan Murray isn't the direct second coming of Neidermayer (none of this "well he's a pretty good d-man" ********), I'm done with this franchise.

Too much garbage for a fan to be put through over and over again the last 6 years.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
No offence, but Ovechkin would be hands down the best player on this team.

He scores more than Taylor Hall even in his worst seasons.
Does he score ten times more than Taylor Hall?

Because he costs ten times as much.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

If they do either of those things the whole front office should be fired.

btw, what is the 'Ovechkin' situation? Probably the same thing as the Hall, RNH, Eberle situation, skilled players are a concern defensively thus play Horcoff 25 minutes a game.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

LOL, that is one of your poorer arguments and you have a good list to chose from.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

The Oilers only have one more year of ELC Taylor Hall. Unless you want to compare what Ovechekin did in his ELC years vs. Taylor Hall (I'm guessing you don't want to go there).

Old
05-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:

Heh Heh...If you want to back that up with the same bet we made last year, I'm in.....again!

Oilers will pick Yakupov without a doubt.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Soundwave

The other thing about passing on Yakupov is Tambellini better freaking pray that Taylor Hall doesn't get hurt seriously again next year and comes back 100% from that surgery with no issue (Hemsky and Horcoff sure as hell did not).

Because if he does get tuned again, suddenly your offence is whittled down to RNH + Eberle and a bunch of inconsistent second liners.

But at least you have a 19-year-old who can play maybe 10 minutes a night and make an outlet pass. Whoopity-doo.

And then it's going to be interesting to see how much Tambellini squirms on that hot seat.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
The Oilers only have one more year of ELC Taylor Hall. Unless you want to compare what Ovechekin did in his ELC years vs. Taylor Hall (I'm guessing you don't want to go there).
You were the one that thought brought up the comparison, not me.

You think having a player with a cap hit of 9.5mill who puts up 65pts isnt anything to be concerned about?

Old
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
You were the one that thought brought up the comparison, not me.

You think having a player with a cap hit of 9.5mill who puts up 65pts isnt anything to be concerned about?
He's better than anyone we got on our team.

I don't like what Washington has done to their team to be honest, even though they are having some playoff success now (and Ovy has contributed by scoring some huge goals for them) ... I think they overreacted.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post

They drafted Mikhonov and got burned on that one and they passed on Cherapanov - I don't think it's a stretch to think that all things being equal, they'd prefer not to draft Russian. I agree having him playing in North America already is a positive, but I still think this thought weighs

mikhnov was drafted in 2000, well before this management group was running the show. Also, lots of teams passed on Cherepanov due to his work ethic issues. The fact he was Russian had very little to do with it.

It is acknowledged that the Oilers have not drafted Russians but they have never been in a situation where the Russian was the obvious choice.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
mikhnov was drafted in 2000, well before this management group was running the show. Also, lots of teams passed on Cherepanov due to his work ethic issues. The fact he was Russian had very little to do with it.

It is acknowledged that the Oilers have not drafted Russians but they have never been in a situation where the Russian was the obvious choice.
Yakupov and Galchenyuk do not have any issues with regards to work ethic.

It's well known that are absolute beasts when it comes to training. The Sarnia GM remarked that both of these kids work harder than Stamkos did at the same age.

Honestly, Taylor Hall and RNH and Eberle might be able to learn something from Yakupov because his training regime in the weight room is supposedly very intense.

Painting a person in a negative light just because of his ethnicity is complete and utter nonsense.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
He's better than anyone we got on our team.

I don't like what Washington has done to their team to be honest, even though they are having some playoff success now (and Ovy has contributed by scoring some huge goals for them) ... I think they overreacted.
I dont think he is tbh.

I would take Eberle over Ovechkin for one.

Hopkins and Hall too.

Factor in his contract, and it's no contest.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I dont think he is tbh.

I would take Eberle over Ovechkin for one.

Hopkins and Hall too.

Factor in his contract, and it's no contest.
Ovy will score 50 once again the Caps actually come to their senses and let him play. Hell he almost hit 40 again this year. When you almost score 40 goals and that's considered a bad year, lol, you are probably pretty freaking good. If Taylor Hall scores 38 next year, this board will be falling over themselves ready to anoint him the second coming.

The more specific point is, Yakupov very easily could be better than Hall or Eberle. If Ovechkin is "scaring" the Oilers, they're idiots. Plain and simple.

The guy is getting paid that money because he scored 65 freaking goals, he earned that contract. It's not his fault his team decided to start playing Phoenix Coyotes hockey just because they didn't immediately win the Stanley Cup.

Even the 80s Oilers needed 5 years before they won their first Cup, imagine if the team went AWOL and totally changed the system the team played and clamped down on Gretzky after 3 years.

Last edited by Soundwave: 05-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
The other thing about passing on Yakupov is Tambellini better freaking pray that Taylor Hall doesn't get hurt seriously again next year and comes back 100% from that surgery with no issue (Hemsky and Horcoff sure as hell did not).

Because if he does get tuned again, suddenly your offence is whittled down to RNH + Eberle and a bunch of inconsistent second liners.

But at least you have a 19-year-old who can play maybe 10 minutes a night and make an outlet pass. Whoopity-doo.

And then it's going to be interesting to see how much Tambellini squirms on that hot seat.
Best Point in this thread.

I agree 100%

Old
05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
KickHimPedro

I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss Gagner. He had great chemistry with Hall and Eberle when RNH was injured. That line didn't seem to miss a beat (although the team really suffered with even less of a secondary scoring option).

Keep those three together

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Jones-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

That is a pretty solid three lines. Especially if Horcoff and Hemsky can find a way to gel again. Hall/Gagner/Eberle was a bonafide fearsome first line last year and that could potentially be the second line!!!

Last year was the first time since Gretzky was traded that I followed the team. How do MPS, Hartikaanen, Lander etc rate as prospects? If Yak gets drafted, it seems like there won't be enough spots on the team to play/develop these guys. What kind of return would they get in a trade?

Is Smyth staying with the team? If not, a top 6 power forward would be a perfect fit (move Jones to the third line). Realistic? Maybe not so much.

I would fully agree with those saying the team needs secondary scoring first and foremost. They lost a lot of close games last year because the #1 unit got shut down.

They need a top 4 defenseman for sure, but the defense seemed to settle down a lot with the addition of Schultz and Whitney improving as the season went on. They won't be winning any cups with their current defense/goaltending, but secondary scoring is certainly their biggest hole. Hello Yakupov!!!!!

Old
05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post

Amen, brother.

Closed Thread