HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Do you think it's Stu's ultimate decision on who we draft? I think Tambo and Lowe still heavily influence on who they pick. Especially if they think a player may not fit in with the culture or is a risk of going to the KHL. They drafted Mikhonov and got burned on that one and they passed on Cherapanov - I don't think it's a stretch to think that all things being equal, they'd prefer not to draft Russian. I agree having him playing in North America already is a positive, but I still think this thought weighs
Different drafting team back then. And even if all things being equal they want to err away from Russians, this isn't that situation. Yakupov is not equal to any other player in the draft.

Quote:
I'm still not sold that our guys think yakupov is the undisputed best player. Stu's spoken very highly of Murray and having him invited to the WC's isn't a coincidence either IMO. Considering we don't have a 1st rounder to trade to move up into the top 3, I don't think that is very likely at all.
Tambo has been very clear about wanting to have an open mind when hearing the opinions of the scouts because they work too hard all year for him to have a biased opinion when he first walks into the room. I don't always agree with Tambo, but he's bang on the money there.

And we didn't have another 1st in Hall's year but that didn't stop us from chasing Seguin hard. If Stu tells Tambo the guy is worth trading up for, so long as we exclude the big 4, I think Tambo would listen.

Quote:
Gagner, Hemsky & Pajaarvi will all be in the running for top 6 roles next year, and that's not considering the need for an experienced player to play in our top 6. I don't see a lot of room there.
Yakupov will be much better than any of those guys, possibly as soon as next season. Why not take him and move one of the other guys later?

Quote:
Murray is being listed as the most NHL ready Dman in the 2012 draft, it's not a stretch to expect him to turn pro next year. His inclusion in the WCs also shows that he's ready for high level hockey.
No doubt he very well could step in next season. But he doesn't have Doughty's offensive skills to have an impact in that area immediately. I think he's far more likely to have a Larsson type first season. Which would be great, if we didn't pass on a potential 40g guy to get it.

Quote:
I also have faith in Stu, but I don't think our management team runs with everything he wants or suggests.
Everything I have seen on Oil Change leads me to think Tambo takes Stu's opinion very seriously when it comes to the draft. He's seen way more of these kids than Tambo has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont think he is tbh.

I would take Eberle over Ovechkin for one.

Hopkins and Hall too.

Factor in his contract, and it's no contest.
Even if I agreed with your player assessments, and I don't, it doesn't matter IATL. Yakupov doesn't have Ovechkin's contract, and if he eventually does, it's because he's been a 50g guy for a while. The fact that we can even have a conversation involving Yakupov and Ovechkin in the same sentence without involving these() should be reason enough about why we can't pass on him

Old
05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Best Point in this thread.

I agree 100%
Me too....

Unless you get absolutely wowed draft Yakupov (like a top prospect and #3 overall, or Fowler and a 1st or ... you get the point)... You can always trade Yak or any number of other assets for a solid young D when the dust has settled.

If Yak comes in and scores 35 goals (and he easily could), you would be wetting yourself at the possibilities.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
this talk of Murray being 'nhl ready' scares me. what' his ceiling? he is no Bourque or Neidermayer. I would say his ceiling is Larry Murphy, but more likely, Chris Phillips.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I would say that if this team is not considered a cup contender within 3 years then they have buggered up the re-build.
I would counter suggest that this team will be MORE of a contender in 3 years with Yakupov, than they would with Staal playing here one year before signing somewhere else.

I would even say that it would be MORE of a contender with Yakupov in 3 years, than with Staal IF he re-signed and was still here.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
this talk of Murray being 'nhl ready' scares me. what' his ceiling? he is no Bourque or Neidermayer. I would say his ceiling is Larry Murphy, but more likely, Chris Phillips.
Jay Boumeester.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Jay Boumeester.
That is honestly the best comparison for him.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
That is honestly the best comparison for him.
Which doesn't mean he'll be terrible, he'll just likely be a "nice" player.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Which doesn't mean he'll be terrible, he'll just likely be a "nice" player.
A nice player doesn't go 1st. An elite player goes 1st ie(Yakupov)

Old
05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Smooth skater, eh?

Old
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Smooth skater, eh?
His skating is orgasmic

Old
05-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
His skating is orgasmic
I'm sure he'll skate himself right into the role of the Oilers perennial whipping boy if he's anything like Jay Bouwmeester.

Every time he has a bad game or makes a gaffe or is deemed as playing too "soft", it'll be "I can't believe we could've had Yakupov instead of this guy", lol.

Honestly just for his own sake I hope the Oilers don't pick him. Because if he is anything less than a perrenial All-Star d-man (and like very quickly into this career) he is being put into a pretty unfair position now that many Oiler fans have gotten used to the idea of having Yakupov instead.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I would counter suggest that this team will be MORE of a contender in 3 years with Yakupov, than they would with Staal playing here one year before signing somewhere else.

I would even say that it would be MORE of a contender with Yakupov in 3 years, than with Staal IF he re-signed and was still here.
Obviously I disagree but at any rate let me ask, do you picture them contending with all 4 of Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yalupov still on the roster?

Old
05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Obviously I disagree but at any rate let me ask, do you picture them contending with all 4 of Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yalupov still on the roster?
Unless they overhaul the defence and goaltending, no.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Oilers4life1987

I read on twitter from treenasoil's account that the oilers are looking to trade to get another first. Would Gagner/PRV and 2013's first cut it. ( even though i would love to have Lazar or Monahan in oil silks).
We would ud come out of the draft like
Yakupov/Murray or Reinhart
Galchenyuk/ Dumba or Trouba

Old
05-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Klefbom, Marincin, and even Gernat could all turn out to be studs. HFB ranks both Klefbom and Marincin as the Oilers top prospects outside of RNH with an 8.0+ rating.

Dubnyk is still young.

Why are we in some damn rush to blow apart something that could be fairly special 2-3 years down the line?

I do think Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/RNH would be incredibly formidable once they gain a little more experience. I think outside of Pittsburgh, you are talking about potentially the most talented group of forwards in the NHL in the future. And if Sid never fully recovers from his issues, probably the most talented.

I don't buy for a second that such a team couldn't contend in the future. Look at Philly ... who's so special on their blueline? And Bryzgalov is all over the place. Yet they're as much in the hunt for the Cup as anyone.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
I read on twitter from treenasoil's account that the oilers are looking to trade to get another first. Would Gagner/PRV and 2013's first cut it. ( even though i would love to have Lazar or Monahan in oil silks).
We would ud come out of the draft like
Yakupov/Murray or Reinhart
Galchenyuk/ Dumba or Trouba
He/She (it) is a fake.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Klefbom, Marincin, and even Gernat could all turn out to be studs. HFB ranks both Klefbom and Marincin as the Oilers top prospects outside of RNH with an 8.0+ rating.

Dubnyk is still young.

Why are we in some damn rush to blow apart something that could be fairly special 2-3 years down the line?

I do think Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/RNH would be incredibly formidable once they gain a little more experience. I think outside of Pittsburgh, you are talking about potentially the most talented group of forwards in the NHL in the future. And if Sid never fully recovers from his issues, probably the most talented.

I don't buy for a second that such a team couldn't contend in the future. Look at Philly ... who's so special on their blueline? And Bryzgalov is all over the place. Yet they're as much in the hunt for the Cup as anyone.
I have little to no faith in Dubnyk anymore.

Might be time to start looking at Bunz/Roy.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Oilers4life1987

Ya but must if her trades actually happen

Old
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

The Oilers have time to figure it out in either case, but I think Dubynk was pretty damn good down the stretch. Maybe a bit too good because I was getting upset that he might bomb our pick.

Goalie's tend to play with a lot more confidence when they know the team infront of them can score so they don't get as rattled if they let in a bad goal.

You can always find good goalies all over the place. Where the hell did this Holtby kid come from? I'm sure Boston would love to know.

Jonathan Quick was a 73rd overall pick (lol), he has far usurped Bernier who was supposed to be the Kings goalie of the future.

Pretty sure Sutter found Kiprusoff in some barn in Finland.

Last edited by Soundwave: 05-02-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 07:17 PM
copperandblue

Quote:

Dubnyk is still young.

So after - what would be - 6 years your plan is hope some the oilers second tier prospects and a suspect goalie over perform?

I would hope any plan would be a little more action and alot less crossed fingers.

And say what you will about philly's team but Edmonton isn't in the same universe when it comes to being as well rounded and deep as them, goaltending included.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
The Oilers have time to figure it out in either case, but I think Dubynk was pretty damn good down the stretch. Maybe a bit too good because I was getting upset that he might bomb our pick.

Goalie's tend to play with a lot more confidence when they know the team infront of them can score so they don't get as rattled if they let in a bad goal.

You can always find good goalies all over the place. Where the hell did this Holtby kid come from? I'm sure Boston would love to know.
Agreed, I do think Dubnyk just had issues with confidence in the guys in front of him. Everything I've read makes me think Bunz might be the man going ahead in a couple years. Despite his lack of athleticism, he has good size and confidence.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
yeah of course, why not? i'm guessing you think that the top-6 would be too small? throw harty on left wing, another bigger guy in the #2 center role and you're done.... when 4 of your top-6 are guys who are all capable of putting up 70+ points in a season, the other 2 players don't need to be world beaters by any stretch.... look at all the scrubs that played with gretzky and kurri over the years, obviously we don't have a gretzky on the team, but you get the idea

Old
05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Quote:

So we replace Dubnyk who has decent numbers .914 sv% and a 2.67 GA on the second worst team in the league with a choice between two guys who have never played an NHL game.

This does not sound like a good way to "overhaul" our goaltending.

However it does sound like a great way to secure a 4th and 5th 1st overall draft pick.

Maybe Bunz and Roy should make our AHL farm team then see a couple of years in the AHL and then work as a Backup for a NHL goalie for a couple more years before we go and start them.

Since you also seem to believe that we have no NHL quality defensemen on the Oilers, I for one am going to take your "recommendations" as to what the Oilers "need" with a grain of salt large enough to bludgeon a moose to death with.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Since you also seem to believe that we have no NHL quality defensemen on the Oilers, I for one am going to take your "recommendations" as to what the Oilers "need" with a grain of salt large enough to bludgeon a moose to death with.
Go ahead?

Good thing I didn't say that, but keep putting words in my mouth.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
So after - what would be - 6 years your plan is hope some the oilers second tier prospects and a suspect goalie over perform?

I would hope any plan would be a little more action and alot less crossed fingers.

And say what you will about philly's team but Edmonton isn't in the same universe when it comes to being as well rounded and deep as them, goaltending included.
No the plan would be to not throw away our first legitimate shot at having an elite offence in 20 years.

Give it two years at least for crying out loud.

If Marincin and Klefbom's development goes terribly and Gernat also goes bust and Tambellini strikes out on Schultz and then fails to get any other defence for the next two years ... then OK (though maybe your answer really is that your GM is a lame duck loser who can't get anything done, because plenty of GMs build great bluelines without benefit of top picks).

You know you can deal a Yakupov or Hall or Eberle any time right? It's not like they're a perishable food item.

Why don't we wait and see what we actually have instead of running around making deals for magic beans.

How stupid is it going to look if Marincin and Klefbom both turn out better than Murray? Good job, Tambellini, you just maybe traded away a 40-50 goal scorer for a player in the long run you really didn't even need. Guess Lowe can dust off his stupid "holy mackarel, we've got a lot of d-men!" line.

Did Erik Johnson get the Blues or Avs into the playoffs? What about Hedman (sure as hell can't blame Stamkos for not doing his share)? Bogosian? Which one of these high pick d-men ever lift their teams into a playoff berth on their own in their early years? Pietranglo's are rare. Reality is it takes years either way. Don't think for a second just because you've pencilled some 19-year-old into your top 4 that you're somehow entitled to a playoff berth in the next 3-4 years.

Last edited by Soundwave: 05-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Closed Thread