HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers not getting credit? (added: ESPN article)

Old
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Flyers not getting credit? (added: ESPN article)

Hey everyone. I want to preface this by saying: It's only a series and a game out of the way.

But hear me out.

I've been reading all of the game threads for us since the playoffs started (as I'm sure all of you have). All Pens series, I heard the same thing over and over:

Pittsburgh is giving up and not playing because they don't care.

After last game, I thought it was ground hog's day. I heard a resounding outcry of:

New Jersey is giving up and not playing because they don't care.

Doesn't it seem that a pattern is forming between the Flyers and the teams they play? Philly has an awful 1st, and then progressively gets better as the game goes on. It seems Philly isn't getting credit for being a finishing team and making other teams play their game.

Again, it's very early still in the playoffs, but anyone else notice this pattern?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-01-2012 at 04:31 PM.
BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Agreed, I was noticing the same thing on the main boards. Flyers beat pens because, "Pens weren't playing well.". Flyers beat devils because, "The devils stopped skating."

Not that it really matters what fan's say.... it doesn't affect the team.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Not to be rude, but why would you even care about this?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

First of all, who cares what others are saying?

Secondly, these are professionals, getting paid to perform in front of fans who pay their hard earned dollar...in front of older professionals who'd know if "they aren't trying." If they were mailing it in, we'd know.

Finally, the Flyers played so well in the last 20-30 mins of that game last night, that it's easy to make another team look like they aren't trying. Same goes for Game 6 against PIT. But to think guys like Crosby and Staal and Parise and Fleury and Brodeur aren't trying is insane.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
As long as the NHL gives us credit in the bracket, I don't care.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Bryzard of Oz

The other team could score on themselves 1 more time than they score on us for all I care.

A win is a win, period.

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Mgkibbles

Flyers high pace and forecheck wears teams out, but most people don't realize that so it seems as though the other team isn't on their game. It is what it is

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
First of all, who cares what others are saying?

Secondly, these are professionals, getting paid to perform in front of fans who pay their hard earned dollar...in front of older professionals who'd know if "they aren't trying." If they were mailing it in, we'd know.

Finally, the Flyers played so well in the last 20-30 mins of that game last night, that it's easy to make another team look like they aren't trying. Same goes for Game 6 against PIT. But to think guys like Crosby and Staal and Parise and Fleury and Brodeur aren't trying is insane.
The Flyers are winning the battle of will.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
BernieParent

TSN is giving the Flyers a lot of love, and the French media are all over Giroux, Briere, etc. This weekend, the local (Montreal) rock station had a call-in poll over whom hockey fans were giving their allegiance to in the playoffs and it was mostly the Flyers, with a few going for the Blues (Halak).

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
bennyprofane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
TSN is giving the Flyers a lot of love, and the French media are all over Giroux, Briere, etc. This weekend, the local (Montreal) rock station had a call-in poll over whom hockey fans were giving their allegiance to in the playoffs and it was mostly the Flyers, with a few going for the Blues (Halak).
Yeah Canadian media has usually given the Flyers a lot of love, unless they're in a series against Crosby. I remember a headline in the Globe and Mail before the start of the Flyers-Canadiens series in 2010 calling the Flyers "Canada's Team," it was awesome.

bennyprofane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It's just a fascinating phenomenon that I've noticed lately. I felt the need to share because it can't just be me.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyprofane View Post
Yeah Canadian media has usually given the Flyers a lot of love, unless they're in a series against Crosby. I remember a headline in the Globe and Mail before the start of the Flyers-Canadiens series in 2010 calling the Flyers "Canada's Team," it was awesome.
It was, I think, 2 years ago that the Flyers at one point were one roster spot away from an all-Canadian line-up.

Alternatively, you can imagine the response that the Canadiens have apparently talked with Ron Hextall about the vacant GM job. Jack Todd called Hextall probably as hated an ex-player as Milbury. "Then again, Hextall (unlike Milbury) does possess a measurable IQ."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Its fine. I enjoy seeing people eat crow. Before the 1st round it was Flyers have no shot the Pens offense is too good and they are too healthy. Halfway thru the first round it was Fleury is garbage, wait until the next round when the Flyers play a real goalie. 1st game of Devils series, Brodeur is old and slow wait until the Flyers play washington or NY. Notice that its never the Forwards being good the goalies are garbage. And its always excuses the other team sucks for some reason. I agree we don't get credit but maybe after the cup is raised by Giroux we will, but its whatever. People are always going to be like that.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
who cares, 11 more to go.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Ive never bought into the lack of respect thing. fans are going to focus on their own team on how they play. What do we say when we lose? same kind of things.
In the end I dont care. Focus on your own team and dont worry about what people say. Especially on other teams fans.
Going forward, the Flyers are going to have to be better in every area if they want to advance.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Might just have to default our way to a Cup.

I'll take it if no one else wants it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
ORYX

I agree with the OP. I notice that the Flyers get little recognition as well, and you can argue "a Win is a win, why do you care" all you want, but at the end of the day, it gets annoying and old when the team you cheer on, which you see is beating everyone because they are a good team gets no respect and the wins aren't because they are good, but because the other team didnt perform.

It's not a big deal for me, but yes I do notice it, and it will just make a Stanley Cup win all the better. The joke will be on all those fans who think they only won because 4 teams just laid down and gave it to them.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
rban*

I think most media are saying that Philly actually is far better than NJ and Devils have no chance. I havent seen many say the Devils are under performing.

In first round, yeah everyone including me, thought Pens would smoke us cuz of a healthy Crosby and all their hi end talent etc etc.

And it is hard to deny that FLeury really did cr*p the bed.

But no, in this round people are ALL saying Flyers are the better team and will win.

AT the same time, people are worried about next round, and given Bryz play, can you honestly BLAME anyone for wondering what Flyers will do when they meet King Henry?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

It's simple "haters are gonna hate" people always see what they want and they will find excuses to back their claims, it is what it is, and especially against Philly people always want to discredit their accomplishments, "oh the Pens didn't play well, that's why Philly won" guess what when you have 2 of the best players in the world on the same team an emerging 40+ goal scorer in Neal, and MAF a world class goalie in nets, AND Bettman;s blessing you shouldn't have any excuse to why the Flyers beat them, "the Devils stopped skating" again after some point rational people have to step back and think wow no way all these teams just stop playing good hockey when it's their turn to play Philly, just my 2 cents and my opinion the Flyers are (gasp!!) a good hockey team!!!

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
AT the same time, people are worried about next round, and given Bryz play, can you honestly BLAME anyone for wondering what Flyers will do when they meet Holtby?
There, fixed it for you

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
ufon68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I agree with the OP. I notice that the Flyers get little recognition as well, and you can argue "a Win is a win, why do you care" all you want, but at the end of the day, it gets annoying and old when the team you cheer on, which you see is beating everyone because they are a good team gets no respect and the wins aren't because they are good, but because the other team didnt perform.

It's not a big deal for me, but yes I do notice it, and it will just make a Stanley Cup win all the better. The joke will be on all those fans who think they only won because 4 teams just laid down and gave it to them.

You can look at it this way, it's the coaching staff's job to motivate the players and if the players somehow play as if they don't care, it's their fault. And since the coaching staff is a part of the team, it's still one team being better than the other, even if it's just the motivation, or the coaching staff's performance, separating them.

Not motivated ? Rookie mistake.

ufon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
this.

who cares what others are saying. this isnt high school

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
I don't care what anyone says honestly. By this time of the year, I am tired of the pre-game talk, the expert picks and what other fans think. All I care about is the games and how bad/good they played and what they can do to fix anything that is wrong. I hate pre-game shows or interviews because by now, it's just the same old questions with the same old answers.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Teezax

Let the players embrace it, the more they have have to prove the more they will.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
FlyersMania2

oh boy...

Quote:
My CSNPhilly.com colleague, Tim Panaccio, turned me on to the N.H.W.A.P.F. two years ago, but I refused to believe the organization actually existed.

He brought the N.H.W.A.P.F. to my attention after defenseman Chris Pronger was shunned for the Norris Trophy as the league’s top defenseman in 2009-10. Not that Pronger necessarily deserved to win the Norris (the award went to Chicago’s Duncan Keith), but he should have been recognized and named as one of three finalists after enjoying one of his finest seasons ever.

Pronger finished top-five in scoring among D-men and was outstanding defensively, but as it has been known to do, the N.H.W.A.P.F. simply reserved its top three votes for the three players who finished 1-2-3 in scoring (see this year’s Calder trophy as well), and Pronger finished a distant fifth in Norris voting.

After Peter Laviolette failed to make the list of finalists for the Jack Adams Award Monday, and now that the Flyers have been completely shut out of the NHL’s postseason awards, perhaps I should investigate into the actual existence into the N.H.W.A.P.F -- the National Hockey Writers Against the Philadelphia Flyers -- which is simply an extension of the P.H.W.A. (Professional Hockey Writers Association).

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...006&feedID=695

lol...to which banter continues

Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period writes:

Quote:
DennisTFP: Last year, stupid, failed boycott. This year, one its own claims conspiracy v PHI. Clock ticking on NHL pulling awards vote from writers.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote