HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Building fast athletes - from the guy who trained Roberts

Old
04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Heatleys Eye

vCash: 500
Building fast athletes - from the guy who trained Roberts

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic..._to_Speed.aspx

I'm in the fitness business and keep up on who the major names are - the one guy that is a go to guy in the world of Fitness for Athletes is Charles Poliquin. He has been responsible for bringing numerous olympic medals to Canada's collection in addition to training Roberts and numerous other NHL'ers

For those of you interested in this type of thing - here is one of his recent articles on building fast athletes.

If any of you are younger and training for hockey this off-season, learn some of the power movements like the power cleans, front squats, trap bar deadlifts etc....They will add serious strength, balance and explosive speed that may be lacking or needed improvement.

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
3. Structural imbalance. Too often, coaches and parents of young athletes believe that year-round specialization will lead to higher levels of performance. Instead, the result is often muscle imbalances that increase the risk of injuries and can lead to an early exit from athletic competition. For example, inadequate strength in the VMO can cause inefficient running mechanics.
It seems to me that the Leafs training staff overlooks this aspect. It seemed evident in last year's Kadri and this year's Schenn.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

5. Poor long-term program design. Gaining a large amount of bodyweight quickly, even if itís muscle mass, can adversely affect sports performance. Letís say a high school football player decides in the summer before his senior year to embark on a bodybuilding program to gain as much bodyweight as possible so he can physically dominate his competition. He gains 20 pounds, mostly muscle, so he thinks his training was a success. The problem is that he has not become accustomed to moving at this heavier weight and his timing is off. A better approach is to focus on hypertrophy programs in his freshman and sophomore years, and focus more on relative strength programs in his junior and senior years. That way, he has two full years to get used to moving at the higher bodyweight.

This describes Luke Schenn perfectly, to me. The overall affect is he looks sluggish, slow to react, and it leads to generalizations about his ability to think the game and anticipate. I don't think his IQ regressed, but the sluggishness, compounded with the brow beating he took from Wilson has caused confidence issues with Luke.

He's got a great opportunity to hit the reset button with a new coach and the whole off season to re think his training strategy. I wish him well...theres a top shutdown defender in there that will emerge over time...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Dado

vCash:
I really enjoyed the article, thanks for sharing. I'm well past the age of peak athletic performance, but am using most of those principles to work my way back into Great Shape for an Old Guy. Thanks to link meandering from there, I learned about the original "shock" version of plyometrics - hadn't really thought about that - will have to consider it.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I really enjoyed the article, thanks for sharing. I'm well past the age of peak athletic performance, but am using most of those principles to work my way back into Great Shape for an Old Guy. Thanks to link meandering from there, I learned about the original "shock" version of plyometrics - hadn't really thought about that - will have to consider it.
You are welcome - that website it a goldmine of great information for someone of any age or ability.

Good luck with your training !

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

#firebelza

The Leafs need to get off the bike and stop training like bodybuilders. Power training is where it's at. I don't know Anthony Belza or his techniques, but there sure seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark with how the Leafs are training. It's time for a fresh new face and a commitment from our athletes.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
#firebelza
Interesting that I was just listening to the FAN interview with Gary Roberts from earlier today and unless I am mistaken, when he was talking about students of his he mentioned Luke Schenn by name.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Interesting that I was just listening to the FAN interview with Gary Roberts from earlier today and unless I am mistaken, when he was talking about students of his he mentioned Luke Schenn by name.
If that is true, it is news to me. I have no heard of any Leaf players training with Gary.

A few weeks ago, Roberts tweeted something along the lines of "If Kadri trains with me, will Bourke let him play with the big club?" I'm hoping it is a sign that Leaf players will now be joining his program.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I posted this in the past, as for what i'd do with the Leafs strength and conditioning.

Quote:
I don't know how their current structure works, but I'd try something like this:

1. Hire Roberts as player development coach.

2. Give Roberts an unlimited budget to build his player development team (nutritionists, chefs, strength and conditioning coaches).

3. Give him space and an unlimited budget to build the optimal facility as part of the MCC.

4. Allow him to continue working with undrafted players and players from other teams. It will open up competition amongst our team to work hard than Stamkos etc. This will, in time become a draw for elite players to come to Toronto and work with Roberts and team year round.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

The guy who trained Roberts? So Chuck Norris wrote this article?

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
But rather than talk terms or worry about the business side of things, Luke Schenn and Shea Weber were hitting the gym in Kelowna, B.C., together every day, pushing each other through sled pulls, sprints and slide board exercises.

For now, Schenn said his focus remains on training, which includes picking up a few tips from fitness guru and retired NHLer Gary Roberts.
I'm not sure how closely they worked, but it would be nice to see them work really closely.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2120355/

Old
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

They also did this together.

Quote:
During the start of August, 2011, the NHLPA selected 42 of the best bantam level (1996) hockey players in Canada to participate in the Allstate All-Canadian Mentorship Camp. The young players were mentored by NHL stars such as Jason Spezza, Luke Schenn, and Jeff Skinner. Beyond that, former star Gary Roberts taught them all about important aspects of the game that not everyone thinks about such as nutrition and off ice conditioning or training. The four day mentoring camp culminated in a nationally televised game on TSN2.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

here's a thread from 2009.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=705335