HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Proposal : No UFA and First round pick for team over 40M$

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2004, 11:33 AM
kastaure

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
Proposal : No UFA and First round pick for team over 40M$

Hi,

This is a proposal that can maybe complememt the one from the player and not being a salary cap.

If your team has reach over the 40M$ limit you cannot sign any UFA, accept any exchange where your team would take up salary or get your first round pick. This 40M$ Limit would be for the first 3 years and after that the limit will be based on the Median team salary so only half of the team will get first round pick and could sign UFA.

You can still sign you own player if you want ... but you cannot try to build a superstar/old superstar team like Toronto/Detroit/Washington/Denver or New York.

I think this would help 2 things...

Remove a large part of the UFA overbidding... in anycase the teams will only sign one UFA per year . and second this will keep player in their team because they wont have the options to go for a big salary spender and will surely stay with their team.

my 2 cennes.

Old
12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Lexicon Devil

The idea of taking away draft picks for exceeding payroll limits is certainly an interesting one, but your proposal is far too drastic.

What would be interesting (since the league apparently doesn't want to share revenues) would be to implement something like:

Spending over $40 million - costs a 3rd round draft pick
Spending over $45 million - costs an additional 4th round draft pick
Spending over $50 million - costs an additional 2nd round draft pick
Spending over $60 million - costs an additional 1st round draft pick

Of course, teams trading their draft picks might complicate things, but it could be worked around.

Old
12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
The idea of taking away draft picks for exceeding payroll limits is certainly an interesting one, but your proposal is far too drastic.

What would be interesting (since the league apparently doesn't want to share revenues) would be to implement something like:

Spending over $40 million - costs a 3rd round draft pick
Spending over $45 million - costs an additional 4th round draft pick
Spending over $50 million - costs an additional 2nd round draft pick
Spending over $60 million - costs an additional 1st round draft pick

Of course, teams trading their draft picks might complicate things, but it could be worked around.
interesting, i wonder if it would even require approval by the NHLPA ? is this something that even needs to be collectivly bargained ?

dr

Old
12-12-2004, 06:54 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Perhaps UFAs (from other teams, including rentals) should come with a draft pick cost. Those picks just disappear and/or be allocated to the losing team.

Cost - pick forfieted
$1m 5th
$2m 4th
$3m 3rd
$4m 2nd
$5m 1st
$5.5m 1st + 4th
$6m 1st + 3rd
$6.5m 1st + 3rd + 4th
$7m 1st + 2nd
$7.5 1st + 2nd + 4th
$8m 1st + 2th + 3rd
$8.5m 1st + 1st
etc

Make things interesting and would slow down the signing of UFAs. Teams would only be able to pick up one ow two expensive UFAs a year.

Old
12-12-2004, 08:09 PM

I've often thought that the compensatory draft pick that teams are awarded should come from the teams that signed the player, not the NHL. It'd put a slight drag on teams loading up on free agents, because it would limit the number of free agents they are able to sign.

Old
12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
deathbear

interesting...

Old
12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
I've often thought that the compensatory draft pick that teams are awarded should come from the teams that signed the player, not the NHL. It'd put a slight drag on teams loading up on free agents, because it would limit the number of free agents they are able to sign.
That's a good idea. Makes a lot more sense than just magically adding picks to a given round.

By the way, I'm not sure I agree with the proposal I threw out there above; it would definitely make competitive cycles even more pronounced.

Old
12-13-2004, 12:27 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
One thing it does is stop "the sign a UFA instead of trading and stockpile the picks". This clearly works in the rich teams favour, they get stronger on the ice and strong in the prospects. Poorer teams are forced to trade picks and prospects for players. Signing free agent prospects to rookie max should cost a team a 1st rounder, after all if the kid is worth rookie max he must be worth at least a 1st.

Old
12-13-2004, 01:11 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
One thing it does is stop "the sign a UFA instead of trading and stockpile the picks". This clearly works in the rich teams favour, they get stronger on the ice and strong in the prospects. Poorer teams are forced to trade picks and prospects for players. Signing free agent prospects to rookie max should cost a team a 1st rounder, after all if the kid is worth rookie max he must be worth at least a 1st.
Kind of takes away the "free" out of "free agent" doesn't it? I don't like this idea, but it wouldn't work anyway.. rookie max = 800k , me being the smart GM signs him for 799k and forfits no draft picks.

I do like the idea of draft pick forfiture if over a certain amount of the cap. Rich teams might think before giving up a pick instead of just money.

Closed Thread