HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2012, 12:19 PM
  #251
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,698
vCash: 500
is BB10 a software update for all their phones/playbooks, or will their new ones just have it?

RJ8812 is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM
  #252
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
is BB10 a software update for all their phones/playbooks, or will their new ones just have it?
The PlayBook will get the BlackBerry 10 OS as an update. None of the current phones will get it.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
  #253
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
BlackBerry 10 “Laguna” For Verizon Detailed In Leaked Specs?

BlackBerry 10 “Laguna” For Verizon Detailed In Leaked Specs?

http://pocketnow.com/2012/09/28/blac...r#!prettyPhoto


Neely2005 is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  #254
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 13,546
vCash: 500
Why do I always get censored in this thread? I didn't even troll. The phone looks like a Bold 9900. I thought they would design a whole new phone but anyway, it's still a beautiful piece of industrial design. And it might not even be the final version.

The Russian General is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 07:12 PM
  #255
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Why do I always get censored in this thread? I didn't even troll. The phone looks like a Bold 9900. I thought they would design a whole new phone but anyway, it's still a beautiful piece of industrial design. And it might not even be the final version.
How did you get censored?

Anyways I am hoping that is not the final version of the physical keyboard version. I mean it's not bad but I had hoped for something more I guess. In the end the OS is more important to me at this point also so I'll continue to wait and see come early next year.

beowulf is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
  #256
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
I am torn. I think that I would opt for the keyboard version.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 12:42 PM
  #257
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,933
vCash: 500
The design looks much better. The company's value has also seen a nice little boost lately. I'm not a BB user, but I would still like to see them being competitive in the marketplace.

Hopefully, the phone delivers.

Hackett is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 02:52 PM
  #258
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Another CNBC Interview:


Neely2005 is online now  
Old
09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
  #259
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Why do I always get censored in this thread? I didn't even troll. The phone looks like a Bold 9900. I thought they would design a whole new phone but anyway, it's still a beautiful piece of industrial design. And it might not even be the final version.
Weird because my reply to you was deleted too. The all touchscreen is all new but I'm not sure how much they wanted to change the iconic look of the physical keyboard version. The important stuff inside is all new though.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  #260
1ntrovert*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Can't wait for the new BB10. I hate android phones with a passion, unpowered garbage and apple not creating anything innovating in the last couple of years. Havn't owned a BB since the Pearl but loved it. CAN't WAIT

1ntrovert* is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
  #261
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 13,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Weird because my reply to you was deleted too. The all touchscreen is all new but I'm not sure how much they wanted to change the iconic look of the physical keyboard version. The important stuff inside is all new though.
And my apology for forgetting a word in my original post and then overreacting on a post stating the obvious because I thought I hadn't forgot that particular word(word was "basically"). Anyway, must be because of my past around these parts and mods have it hard enough already

Also, good news for RIM this week and it shows: their stock went up a dollar (NASDAQ). I guess you have some RIM stock Neely? I was interested in Nokia stock, it was the main reason I opened a thread in The Lounge about how to buy stock. It seems 2,50$ is really low for a company like Nokia and the hype around the products might finally work. On the other hand, Apple stock has lost around 40$ in value since launch.

The Russian General is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 08:56 PM
  #262
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
And my apology for forgetting a word in my original post and then overreacting on a post stating the obvious because I thought I hadn't forgot that particular word(word was "basically"). Anyway, must be because of my past around these parts and mods have it hard enough already

Also, good news for RIM this week and it shows: their stock went up a dollar (NASDAQ). I guess you have some RIM stock Neely? I was interested in Nokia stock, it was the main reason I opened a thread in The Lounge about how to buy stock. It seems 2,50$ is really low for a company like Nokia and the hype around the products might finally work. On the other hand, Apple stock has lost around 40$ in value since launch.
Ah okay that makes more sense.

No I don't own any RIM stock. Nokia like RIM seems undervalued to me. Apple is so high right now that it simply doesn't have a lot of room for growth.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
  #263
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Research In Motion Reports Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results

Speaking of RIM Stock, Research In Motion Reports Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results:

http://crackberry.com/press-release-...-2013-earnings

Highlights:

BlackBerry subscriber base increased to approximately 80 million global subscribers

Cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments increased by approximately $100 million to $2.3 billion at the end of the second quarter

Cash flow from operations was approximately $432 million in the second quarter
Revenue of $2.9 billion in Q2, up 2% from $2.8 billion in Q1

GAAP net loss in Q2 of $235 million, or $0.45 per share diluted, including $136 million in pre-tax restructuring costs; adjusted net loss of $142 million, or $0.27 per share diluted

Shipments of BlackBerry smartphones were 7.4 million and shipments of BlackBerry PlayBook tablets were approximately 130,000

Q2 Results:

Revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 was $2.9 billion, up 2% from $2.8 billion in the previous quarter and down 31% from $4.2 billion in the same quarter of fiscal 2012. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 60% for hardware, 35% for service and 5% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped approximately 7.4 million BlackBerry smartphones and shipped approximately 130,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
  #264
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
130,000 tablets is weak. Hopefully when they report the Q3 and 4 results those numbers will improve.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 03:07 PM
  #265
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
130,000 tablets is weak. Hopefully when they report the Q3 and 4 results those numbers will improve.
Yes but Apple is really the only company that has been able to sell sizeable numbers of Tablets.

In Canada the PlayBook has the second highest installed user base.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
  #266
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
130,000 tablets is weak. Hopefully when they report the Q3 and 4 results those numbers will improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes but Apple is really the only company that has been able to sell sizeable numbers of Tablets.
The Kindle Fire sold 4.8M & 1.8M in 4Q11 & 1Q12.

The Google Nexus 7 sold 2.9M in a partial 3Q12 and is projected to sell ~3M-5M in Q4.

kdb209 is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 06:28 PM
  #267
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The Kindle Fire sold 4.8M & 1.8M in 4Q11 & 1Q12.

The Google Nexus 7 sold 2.9M in a partial 3Q12 and is projected to sell ~3M-5M in Q4.
Your point? They are also newer than the Playbook and still only a fraction of the number of iPads that have been sold.

beowulf is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
  #268
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 16,073
vCash: 500
Currently on a Curve 9900, have been since September 2011.

Definitely getting off Blackberry with my next upgrade in a year. Going to go either iPhone or Windows phone, pending what kind of computer I have at the time.

I'm just done with Blackberry, I don't really have a problem with them at all. Sometimes my phone frustrates me and freezes, but I'm sure that happens with every platform. If most of my friends had Blackberry and I could utilize BBM, then I'd be even happier with my phone. But my total BBM contacts right now? 0

silverfish is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
  #269
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The Kindle Fire sold 4.8M & 1.8M in 4Q11 & 1Q12.

The Google Nexus 7 sold 2.9M in a partial 3Q12 and is projected to sell ~3M-5M in Q4.
All that means, is that cheap tablets sell (relatively) well. Apple sold 17 million iPads in fiscal third quarter 2012.

But not everyone will or can spend iPad prices for a tablet. The problem with the non-Apple tablets has been, and has continued to be, a lack of apps. It's important.

I run CM9 on my TP; Android runs well enough, probably better than webOS, but even though I did because I wanted more apps, iOS it's not. Most apps are just phone apps scaled up, and there isn't the same level of spit and polish to ones that have a similar iOS counterpart.

But for $150, I really can't complain. My expectation of an iPad it wasn't though. And it would've been a terrible buy at $600.

It works for running Kindle, Chrome, Netflix, viewing pictures, and a few games. webOS can basically show off a nice UI, a pinch of potential, but not much else.

Add in that WinRT is coming out soon too. There's an iPad market, and then everything else.

guinness is offline  
Old
10-02-2012, 07:21 AM
  #270
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
All that means, is that cheap tablets sell (relatively) well. Apple sold 17 million iPads in fiscal third quarter 2012.

But not everyone will or can spend iPad prices for a tablet. The problem with the non-Apple tablets has been, and has continued to be, a lack of apps. It's important.

I run CM9 on my TP; Android runs well enough, probably better than webOS, but even though I did because I wanted more apps, iOS it's not. Most apps are just phone apps scaled up, and there isn't the same level of spit and polish to ones that have a similar iOS counterpart.

But for $150, I really can't complain. My expectation of an iPad it wasn't though. And it would've been a terrible buy at $600.

It works for running Kindle, Chrome, Netflix, viewing pictures, and a few games. webOS can basically show off a nice UI, a pinch of potential, but not much else.

Add in that WinRT is coming out soon too. There's an iPad market, and then everything else.
Must admit I was surprised last night when I went on to the BB App store with my Playbook and saw the increase in the number of apps. Not saying it's millions but a hell of a lot more than before.

beowulf is offline  
Old
10-02-2012, 10:53 AM
  #271
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
More leaked BB 10 Hardware Specs?

More leaked BB 10 Hardware Specs?

Qualcomm APQ8064 Krait Quad Core 1.5GHz
136 x 68 x 8.85mm
GSM – Quad band (not specified) – WCDMA – 2100/1900/850-850MHz – LTE –
AWS/700/1900/850MHz – EU/APAC – GSM – Quad band (not specified) – WCDMA –
2100/1900/850-850/900MHz – LTE – 1800/2.6GHz/800/900MHz
OCTA Glass OLED 4.65″ – 1280 x 720 – 24 bit Colour – 16:9
Capacitive All Touch
2GB RAM + 16GB Flash – Hot Swappable MicroSD slot 16GB MicroSD card
802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz/5GHz 4G Mobile Hotspot
MicroUSB – MicroHDMI – Wifi Direct – NFC – DLNA – Bluetooth 4.0
Stereo speakers – 4 Microphones – Noise Reduction – Wideband AMR
2800mAh sealed battery with non-removeable door
Footprint 104 x 57.1 x 3.4mm (20H use for Multimedia user)

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...uad-core-krait

* EDIT: Apparently this is for the 3rd BlackBerry 10 Phone that will launch mid 2013.


Last edited by Neely2005: 10-02-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Apparently this is for the 3rd BlackBerry 10 Phone that will launch mid 2013.
Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
  #272
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Not digging the non-removable battery.

I know it's speculation/leaked information but still.

Towers is online now  
Old
10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
  #273
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The Kindle Fire sold 4.8M & 1.8M in 4Q11 & 1Q12.

The Google Nexus 7 sold 2.9M in a partial 3Q12 and is projected to sell ~3M-5M in Q4.
"He bristles at criticism that the original PlayBook didn’t measure up to the competition. The PlayBook “sold exceedingly well” and has outsold the Samsung Galaxy tablet, he says."

http://www.therecord.com/news/busine...0-will-impress

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
  #274
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
QNX founder confident BlackBerry 10 will impress

QNX founder confident BlackBerry 10 will impress:

http://www.therecord.com/news/busine...0-will-impress

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-02-2012, 11:08 AM
  #275
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Not digging the non-removable battery.

I know it's speculation/leaked information but still.
I edited my Post as apparently this is for the 3rd BlackBerry 10 Phone that will launch mid 2013.

Neely2005 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.