HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I edited my Post as apparently this is for the 3rd BlackBerry 10 Phone that will launch mid 2013.
Cool beans, still don't dig it.

Ya dig?

Digdug.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Cool beans, still don't dig it.

Ya dig?

Digdug.
Agreed, I want a removable battery too. RIM has already confirmed that the first 2 BlackBerry 10 Phones will have removable batteries.

I dig.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry 10 hands-on

BlackBerry 10 hands-on:

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/busines...001-26uhf.html

Old
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

BlackBerry Messenger question

Does anyone know if I keep my staus on BlackBerry Messenger always on "Busy" will that mean it won't update the last time I accessed it. For example sometimes when I look at that it says I went on BBM at a specifc time after turning on my Bold 9780, however I know for a fact I didn't click on it.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

The Comeback Begins? More Canadians Plan to Buy BlackBerry 10 Devices Than Android

The Comeback Begins? More Canadians Plan to Buy BlackBerry 10 Devices Than Android:

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/more-c...oid-2012-10-08

Old
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Misconceptions about BlackBerry...

Here are some of my favorite uninformed statements:

"RIM is dead" or "RIM is going bankrupt"
"BlackBerry 10 is 'too little too late'"
"BlackBerrys are for business"
"BlackBerry doesn't have any apps"
"BlackBerry should just adopt Android"

http://techniety.blogspot.ca/2012/10...lackberry.html

Old
10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Dude while i am hoping that BB10 is all that I am hearing and will help rebuild RIM to the company it once was, I also am not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. Nothing is on the market yet and we are talking to 2 to 3 months from now.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Dude while i am hoping that BB10 is all that I am hearing and will help rebuild RIM to the company it once was, I also am not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. Nothing is on the market yet and we are talking to 2 to 3 months from now.
If you're referring to the 5 Points in the post above, that's a quote from the Linked article.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
If you're referring to the 5 Points in the post above, that's a quote from the Linked article.
just playing devil's advocate here... while there are some valid arguments, it's a blog written by a self-proclaimed "evangelist for BlackBerry"... so, it is kinda biased

Old
10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Here are some of my favorite uninformed statements:

"RIM is dead" or "RIM is going bankrupt"
"BlackBerry 10 is 'too little too late'"
"BlackBerrys are for business"
"BlackBerry doesn't have any apps"
"BlackBerry should just adopt Android"

http://techniety.blogspot.ca/2012/10...lackberry.html
Is this your blog?

Old
10-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Is this your blog?
No. As I've mentioned before I don't work for RIM/BlackBerry and I never have.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Protest the Hero

I've been having problems with my Playbook browser lately. If it actually manages to load a page completely, it's extremely slow. It happens on mobile sites too. For example, I can load hfboards, most of the time I can go to sub-forums, like Geek Emporium, but nearly every time I try and load a thread it just doesn't work. Other wi-fi devices in the house work fine.

It's only been the last two days though, before that it worked perfectly. I haven't updated to BlackBerry 2.1 yet, but it's only the browser that's been acting up. App World works fine, so does Weather, and everything else that uses wi-fi on this thing.

EDIT: I just cleared the cache and everything, and it appears to have fixed it, in case anyone gets any similar problems.

Last edited by Protest the Hero: 10-12-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I've been having problems with my Playbook browser lately. If it actually manages to load a page completely, it's extremely slow. It happens on mobile sites too. For example, I can load hfboards, most of the time I can go to sub-forums, like Geek Emporium, but nearly every time I try and load a thread it just doesn't work. Other wi-fi devices in the house work fine.

It's only been the last two days though, before that it worked perfectly. I haven't updated to BlackBerry 2.1 yet, but it's only the browser that's been acting up. App World works fine, so does Weather, and everything else that uses wi-fi on this thing.

EDIT: I just cleared the cache and everything, and it appears to have fixed it, in case anyone gets any similar problems.
I use memory eater. Awesome app.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Hey dudes, if I want to get a BB phone to tide me over until March (stupid RIM), where would you recommend I get a cheap phone? I was thinking eBay, because in spite of my hatred for eBay, it feels a lot safer than Craigslist.

What do you think?

Old
10-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I sold my Bold 9700 on Kijiji for $150 a couple months ago. Seamless transaction and the buyer didn't come back complaining. I also sold my wife's iPhone 3 on there with no problems either.

It was a lot faster than ebay.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Rumoured BlackBerry Release Dates

http://n4bb.com/possible-blackberry-...release-dates/

"Here’s the time-frame we’ve heard for BlackBerry phones in 2013:

January: L-Series
February: N-Series
May: R-Series and S-Series
July: A-Series

The L and N series devices have garnered quite a lot of attention. However, little is known about the R-Series. We’re also now the first to tell you about the S-Series. The R-Series is said to be a next-generation BlackBerry 10 Curve. Whereas the S-Series is apparently similar to the R-Series, but will run legacy BlackBerry OS (OS 8 perhaps?).

The last BlackBerry 10 phone to allegedly release is the ‘Aristo’. If you followed this leak, the A-Series will be the crème de la crème of BlackBerry 10 devices."

Old
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Are you ashamed of your BlackBerry?

Two very interesting articles I happen to find, so what does everyone else think about them?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ur-blackberry/

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/1...lackberry.html

Old
10-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Two very interesting articles I happen to find, so what does everyone else think about them?

I always find these articles amusing as they're comparing a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

See some of the responses to that article here, including one from the RIM CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...=fb-share&_r=0

http://crackberry.com/keep-using-tho...brian-williams

Old
10-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post

There's something wrong with you if you are actually embarrassed or ashamed of taking out your phone because of what people will think.

It doesn't take three minutes for the browser to open. I seriously doubt it did take that girl that long. I'm guessing her phone was laggy and it took 30 seconds or something like that and she exaggerated it and said three minutes. I also find it interesting she said her battery was draining waiting for it to load when Blackberry's have better battery life, for the most part, than iPhones and Android's.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:27 PM
LC

The browser opens instantly on mine and its the cheapest blackberry I could buy a year and a half ago. The android devices that I could have also bought felt like something you'd get with a happy meal, they were so cheaply put together. Aside from being too expensive I find apple products UI to have a cartoony look to them and they are kind of a girls phone.

Last edited by LC: 10-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old
10-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
I always find these articles amusing as they're comparing a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

I think RIM is the anti-Apple (referring to image only) - Apple phones and products are the cool ones for socialites to want and have, and Blackberry products are the cool ones for them to hate on.

I'm not really a huge Blackberry phone fan, but that just comes from limited exposure to the phones my parents had - I think they were Curves? Maybe if I spent more time on a Blackberry phone, I'd change my mind. Regardless, that's a preference, not a comment on how good they are or aren't, I've just enjoyed the Android phone I had more.

My personal and uneducated preference in phones aside, RIM still has a solid reputation for security, and that matters to business users. Also, I love their tablet. I bought one for my parents, and I loved the responsiveness and clear screen so much that I ordered my own. Depending on what BB10 brings, I might buy myself a 10 inch Android tablet, so that I'm filling another demi-niche and have access to Netflix and Skype - or if BB10 brings access to those, I may just stick with a single tablet. 7 inches is already more than big enough for most of what I do.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:

Honestly it never occured to me that they are comparing BlackBerry's that are 3+ years old, so very good point.

Now I have a BlackBerry Bold 9780 which I got in February 2011 and I honestly think it's great. My internet browser always opens right away and I have never had any problems with slowing down or freezing while I'm on my apps.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I think RIM is the anti-Apple (referring to image only) - Apple phones and products are the cool ones for socialites to want and have, and Blackberry products are the cool ones for them to hate on.

I'm not really a huge Blackberry phone fan, but that just comes from limited exposure to the phones my parents had - I think they were Curves? Maybe if I spent more time on a Blackberry phone, I'd change my mind. Regardless, that's a preference, not a comment on how good they are or aren't, I've just enjoyed the Android phone I had more.

My personal and uneducated preference in phones aside, RIM still has a solid reputation for security, and that matters to business users. Also, I love their tablet. I bought one for my parents, and I loved the responsiveness and clear screen so much that I ordered my own. Depending on what BB10 brings, I might buy myself a 10 inch Android tablet, so that I'm filling another demi-niche and have access to Netflix and Skype - or if BB10 brings access to those, I may just stick with a single tablet. 7 inches is already more than big enough for most of what I do.
You can already side load the Skype for Android app with the new Playbook's OS update. And there's an app called Flix for Netflix, but I'm not sure how good it is.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
You can already side load the Skype for Android app with the new Playbook's OS update. And there's an app called Flix for Netflix, but I'm not sure how good it is.
I've tried side loading skype, but I haven't had any success... do you know of a workable bar file available for download somewhere? If Flix is what I think it is, it just streams Netflix from your PC to your tablet - I'm not aware of anything that lets Netflix run independently on a Playbook yet.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I've tried side loading skype, but I haven't had any success... do you know of a workable bar file available for download somewhere? If Flix is what I think it is, it just streams Netflix from your PC to your tablet - I'm not aware of anything that lets Netflix run independently on a Playbook yet.
Yeah, Flix is a totally neat idea, but it really doesn't do too much for me since you need Netflix running on your PC for it to work.

I mainly want Skype. I enjoy Netflix, but I don't need it on my tablet.

Closed Thread