HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
  #276
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I edited my Post as apparently this is for the 3rd BlackBerry 10 Phone that will launch mid 2013.
Cool beans, still don't dig it.

Ya dig?

Digdug.

Towers is offline  
Old
10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
  #277
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Cool beans, still don't dig it.

Ya dig?

Digdug.
Agreed, I want a removable battery too. RIM has already confirmed that the first 2 BlackBerry 10 Phones will have removable batteries.


I dig.


Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-04-2012, 11:13 AM
  #278
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
BlackBerry 10 hands-on

BlackBerry 10 hands-on:

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/busines...001-26uhf.html

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
  #279
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,919
vCash: 500
BlackBerry Messenger question

Does anyone know if I keep my staus on BlackBerry Messenger always on "Busy" will that mean it won't update the last time I accessed it. For example sometimes when I look at that it says I went on BBM at a specifc time after turning on my Bold 9780, however I know for a fact I didn't click on it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
  #280
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
The Comeback Begins? More Canadians Plan to Buy BlackBerry 10 Devices Than Android

The Comeback Begins? More Canadians Plan to Buy BlackBerry 10 Devices Than Android:

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/more-c...oid-2012-10-08

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
  #281
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Misconceptions about BlackBerry...

Here are some of my favorite uninformed statements:

"RIM is dead" or "RIM is going bankrupt"
"BlackBerry 10 is 'too little too late'"
"BlackBerrys are for business"
"BlackBerry doesn't have any apps"
"BlackBerry should just adopt Android"

http://techniety.blogspot.ca/2012/10...lackberry.html

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  #282
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,838
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Dude while i am hoping that BB10 is all that I am hearing and will help rebuild RIM to the company it once was, I also am not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. Nothing is on the market yet and we are talking to 2 to 3 months from now.

beowulf is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 05:41 AM
  #283
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Dude while i am hoping that BB10 is all that I am hearing and will help rebuild RIM to the company it once was, I also am not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. Nothing is on the market yet and we are talking to 2 to 3 months from now.
If you're referring to the 5 Points in the post above, that's a quote from the Linked article.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  #284
DJyellow
Registered User
 
DJyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
If you're referring to the 5 Points in the post above, that's a quote from the Linked article.
just playing devil's advocate here... while there are some valid arguments, it's a blog written by a self-proclaimed "evangelist for BlackBerry"... so, it is kinda biased

DJyellow is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
  #285
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Here are some of my favorite uninformed statements:

"RIM is dead" or "RIM is going bankrupt"
"BlackBerry 10 is 'too little too late'"
"BlackBerrys are for business"
"BlackBerry doesn't have any apps"
"BlackBerry should just adopt Android"

http://techniety.blogspot.ca/2012/10...lackberry.html
Is this your blog?

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 09:15 AM
  #286
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Is this your blog?
No. As I've mentioned before I don't work for RIM/BlackBerry and I never have.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 08:10 AM
  #287
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I've been having problems with my Playbook browser lately. If it actually manages to load a page completely, it's extremely slow. It happens on mobile sites too. For example, I can load hfboards, most of the time I can go to sub-forums, like Geek Emporium, but nearly every time I try and load a thread it just doesn't work. Other wi-fi devices in the house work fine.

It's only been the last two days though, before that it worked perfectly. I haven't updated to BlackBerry 2.1 yet, but it's only the browser that's been acting up. App World works fine, so does Weather, and everything else that uses wi-fi on this thing.

EDIT: I just cleared the cache and everything, and it appears to have fixed it, in case anyone gets any similar problems.


Last edited by Protest the Hero: 10-12-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
  #288
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I've been having problems with my Playbook browser lately. If it actually manages to load a page completely, it's extremely slow. It happens on mobile sites too. For example, I can load hfboards, most of the time I can go to sub-forums, like Geek Emporium, but nearly every time I try and load a thread it just doesn't work. Other wi-fi devices in the house work fine.

It's only been the last two days though, before that it worked perfectly. I haven't updated to BlackBerry 2.1 yet, but it's only the browser that's been acting up. App World works fine, so does Weather, and everything else that uses wi-fi on this thing.

EDIT: I just cleared the cache and everything, and it appears to have fixed it, in case anyone gets any similar problems.
I use memory eater. Awesome app.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 05:02 AM
  #289
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 200
Hey dudes, if I want to get a BB phone to tide me over until March (stupid RIM), where would you recommend I get a cheap phone? I was thinking eBay, because in spite of my hatred for eBay, it feels a lot safer than Craigslist.

What do you think?

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 10:12 AM
  #290
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I sold my Bold 9700 on Kijiji for $150 a couple months ago. Seamless transaction and the buyer didn't come back complaining. I also sold my wife's iPhone 3 on there with no problems either.

It was a lot faster than ebay.

Towers is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
  #291
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Rumoured BlackBerry Release Dates

http://n4bb.com/possible-blackberry-...release-dates/

"Here’s the time-frame we’ve heard for BlackBerry phones in 2013:

January: L-Series
February: N-Series
May: R-Series and S-Series
July: A-Series


The L and N series devices have garnered quite a lot of attention. However, little is known about the R-Series. We’re also now the first to tell you about the S-Series. The R-Series is said to be a next-generation BlackBerry 10 Curve. Whereas the S-Series is apparently similar to the R-Series, but will run legacy BlackBerry OS (OS 8 perhaps?).

The last BlackBerry 10 phone to allegedly release is the ‘Aristo’. If you followed this leak, the A-Series will be the crème de la crème of BlackBerry 10 devices."

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM
  #292
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,919
vCash: 500
Are you ashamed of your BlackBerry?

Two very interesting articles I happen to find, so what does everyone else think about them?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ur-blackberry/

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/1...lackberry.html

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:19 AM
  #293
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Two very interesting articles I happen to find, so what does everyone else think about them?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ur-blackberry/

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/1...lackberry.html
I always find these articles amusing as they're comparing a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

See some of the responses to that article here, including one from the RIM CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...=fb-share&_r=0

http://crackberry.com/keep-using-tho...brian-williams


Neely2005 is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:42 AM
  #294
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Two very interesting articles I happen to find, so what does everyone else think about them?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ur-blackberry/

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/1...lackberry.html
There's something wrong with you if you are actually embarrassed or ashamed of taking out your phone because of what people will think.

It doesn't take three minutes for the browser to open. I seriously doubt it did take that girl that long. I'm guessing her phone was laggy and it took 30 seconds or something like that and she exaggerated it and said three minutes. I also find it interesting she said her battery was draining waiting for it to load when Blackberry's have better battery life, for the most part, than iPhones and Android's.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 01:27 PM
  #295
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
The browser opens instantly on mine and its the cheapest blackberry I could buy a year and a half ago. The android devices that I could have also bought felt like something you'd get with a happy meal, they were so cheaply put together. Aside from being too expensive I find apple products UI to have a cartoony look to them and they are kind of a girls phone.


Last edited by LC: 10-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
LC is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 03:04 PM
  #296
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I always find these articles amusing as they're comparing a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

See some of the responses to that article here, including one from the RIM CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...=fb-share&_r=0

http://crackberry.com/keep-using-tho...brian-williams

I think RIM is the anti-Apple (referring to image only) - Apple phones and products are the cool ones for socialites to want and have, and Blackberry products are the cool ones for them to hate on.

I'm not really a huge Blackberry phone fan, but that just comes from limited exposure to the phones my parents had - I think they were Curves? Maybe if I spent more time on a Blackberry phone, I'd change my mind. Regardless, that's a preference, not a comment on how good they are or aren't, I've just enjoyed the Android phone I had more.

My personal and uneducated preference in phones aside, RIM still has a solid reputation for security, and that matters to business users. Also, I love their tablet. I bought one for my parents, and I loved the responsiveness and clear screen so much that I ordered my own. Depending on what BB10 brings, I might buy myself a 10 inch Android tablet, so that I'm filling another demi-niche and have access to Netflix and Skype - or if BB10 brings access to those, I may just stick with a single tablet. 7 inches is already more than big enough for most of what I do.

Kestrel is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
  #297
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I always find these articles amusing as they're comparing a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

See some of the responses to that article here, including one from the RIM CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...=fb-share&_r=0

http://crackberry.com/keep-using-tho...brian-williams

Honestly it never occured to me that they are comparing BlackBerry's that are 3+ years old, so very good point.

Now I have a BlackBerry Bold 9780 which I got in February 2011 and I honestly think it's great. My internet browser always opens right away and I have never had any problems with slowing down or freezing while I'm on my apps.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  #298
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I think RIM is the anti-Apple (referring to image only) - Apple phones and products are the cool ones for socialites to want and have, and Blackberry products are the cool ones for them to hate on.

I'm not really a huge Blackberry phone fan, but that just comes from limited exposure to the phones my parents had - I think they were Curves? Maybe if I spent more time on a Blackberry phone, I'd change my mind. Regardless, that's a preference, not a comment on how good they are or aren't, I've just enjoyed the Android phone I had more.

My personal and uneducated preference in phones aside, RIM still has a solid reputation for security, and that matters to business users. Also, I love their tablet. I bought one for my parents, and I loved the responsiveness and clear screen so much that I ordered my own. Depending on what BB10 brings, I might buy myself a 10 inch Android tablet, so that I'm filling another demi-niche and have access to Netflix and Skype - or if BB10 brings access to those, I may just stick with a single tablet. 7 inches is already more than big enough for most of what I do.
You can already side load the Skype for Android app with the new Playbook's OS update. And there's an app called Flix for Netflix, but I'm not sure how good it is.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 06:07 PM
  #299
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
You can already side load the Skype for Android app with the new Playbook's OS update. And there's an app called Flix for Netflix, but I'm not sure how good it is.
I've tried side loading skype, but I haven't had any success... do you know of a workable bar file available for download somewhere? If Flix is what I think it is, it just streams Netflix from your PC to your tablet - I'm not aware of anything that lets Netflix run independently on a Playbook yet.

Kestrel is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
  #300
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I've tried side loading skype, but I haven't had any success... do you know of a workable bar file available for download somewhere? If Flix is what I think it is, it just streams Netflix from your PC to your tablet - I'm not aware of anything that lets Netflix run independently on a Playbook yet.
Yeah, Flix is a totally neat idea, but it really doesn't do too much for me since you need Netflix running on your PC for it to work.

I mainly want Skype. I enjoy Netflix, but I don't need it on my tablet.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.