HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 07:21 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Interesting article on RIM and BB. Looks like BB fans are starting to have enough of the bashing and are standing up.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/pra...171211675.html

Old
10-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Yeah, Flix is a totally neat idea, but it really doesn't do too much for me since you need Netflix running on your PC for it to work.

I mainly want Skype. I enjoy Netflix, but I don't need it on my tablet.
I want both, but Skype is a bigger deal for me as well. I'm mildly torn - I DO want full functionality out of my Playbook - but at the same time, it would be nice to have an excuse to get a 10 inch tablet. Truth be told though, I don't think I would end up using a 10 inch one very often. I haven't done anything yet with the Playbook where I thought "I wish this tablet was bigger".

Old
10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I've tried side loading skype, but I haven't had any success... do you know of a workable bar file available for download somewhere? If Flix is what I think it is, it just streams Netflix from your PC to your tablet - I'm not aware of anything that lets Netflix run independently on a Playbook yet.
Ok, wasn't too sure about Flix. Haven't ever used it and know that Netflix didn't make a native app for the Playbook.

Have you tried Skype after the latest OS update that came out a week or so ago? The issue before is the Android apps loaded onto the Playbook didn't have access to use the camera aspect of it. Now it does, though.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Interesting article on RIM and BB. Looks like BB fans are starting to have enough of the bashing and are standing up.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/pra...171211675.html
His complaints are pretty stupid. Turn your phone off at night? You could just silence the phone or set all calls to VM. For me it boiled down to the old physical keyboard. He's just far too used to using the BB keyboard and cannot adapt. The problem is not the keyboard, it is the user.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Have you tried Skype after the latest OS update that came out a week or so ago? The issue before is the Android apps loaded onto the Playbook didn't have access to use the camera aspect of it. Now it does, though.
Yeah, I did, and I still had the same problem. Have you tried it with any success?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:22 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
His complaints are pretty stupid. Turn your phone off at night? You could just silence the phone or set all calls to VM. For me it boiled down to the old physical keyboard. He's just far too used to using the BB keyboard and cannot adapt. The problem is not the keyboard, it is the user.
The touchscreen keyboard does suck, I'm not sure how anybody can deny that. The keys are too tiny and you actually have to look at the keys to get the right ones. But on the flipside you get a bigger screen on the touchscreen when you aren't texting.

Also my friend has an SII and when he puts it on silent the voice for incoming emails and text messages still goes off.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:54 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I don't see how they are stupid at all. The fact remains that nobody comes close to BB battery life and that is they point he is making. I also can type without looking on my physical BB keyboard which can't be done, or at least not without a bunch of mistakes, on a virtual keyboard.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
The touchscreen keyboard does suck, I'm not sure how anybody can deny that. The keys are too tiny and you actually have to look at the keys to get the right ones. But on the flipside you get a bigger screen on the touchscreen when you aren't texting.
The more robust touchscreen keyboards are far better than you are describing.
Good software keyboards make it so that you don't even need to hit the right key.

In fact, the most robust software keyboard I've ever used is the one that will be powering the all touch BB10 software keyboard.

So no, they keys aren't too tiny and no you don't need to look at the keys to type. That's simply false.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Good software keyboards make it so that you don't even need to hit the right key.

In fact, the most robust software keyboard I've ever used is the one that will be powering the all touch BB10 software keyboard.

So no, they keys aren't too tiny and no you don't need to look at the keys to type. That's simply false.
You can type Faster and More Accurately on a Physical Keyboard than a Virtual Keyboard. There's simply no denying that.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
You can type Faster and More Accurately on a Physical Keyboard than a Virtual Keyboard. There's simply no denying that.
I didn't say once that software keyboard were better. I said that they weren't as bad as being described.

Nothing has been denied here.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
discostu

Quote:
I always find these articles amusing as they're a 3+ year old Entry Level (Curve Model) BlackBerry to a new top of the line iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. If you're going to to a fair comparison at least use a BlackBerry Bold 9900 (which is actually already 1 year old) when you compare them.

Then they'll make false claims like oh my BlackBerry doesn't have this App or it can't do that. When if fact it has the App and yes it can do what you said that it can't, you're just to dumb or to lazy to figure it out.

See some of the responses to that article here, including one from the RIM CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...=fb-share&_r=0

http://crackberry.com/keep-using-tho...brian-williams

While comparisons against older BB technology versus the newer Androids and Iphones is unfair, RIM didn't do themselves by having such a big gap between releases. I'm able to upgrade my work bb in a couple of weeks, and it's disappointing that my best option right now is a release that's been out for over a year.

Due to the policies around our BB usage, I keep a personal and professional phone. I love my Samsung and tolerate my BlackBerry, but it's hard to argue that the BB doesn't have it's advantages. The email speed, data efficiency and definitely the battery life are huge factors. But, everything else tilts towards their competitors.

For me though, as I have a separate phone for personal use, as long as RIM sticks to their strengths, it will work for me. I'm sure others are in the same boat. We'll see what their new releases bring though.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
I didn't say once that software keyboard were better. I said that they weren't as bad as being described.

Nothing has been denied here.
Fair enough.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:46 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:

I'll defer to you on it since I have not used enough software keyboards but I sure do like my physical one.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry 10 Roadmap

Quote:
http://n4bb.com/possible-blackberry-...release-dates/

"Here’s the time-frame we’ve heard for BlackBerry phones in 2013:

January: L-Series
February: N-Series
May: R-Series and S-Series
July: A-Series

The L and N series devices have garnered quite a lot of attention. However, little is known about the R-Series. We’re also now the first to tell you about the S-Series. The R-Series is said to be a next-generation BlackBerry 10 Curve. Whereas the S-Series is apparently similar to the R-Series, but will run legacy BlackBerry OS (OS 8 perhaps?).

The last BlackBerry 10 phone to allegedly release is the ‘Aristo’. If you followed this leak, the A-Series will be the crème de la crème of BlackBerry 10 devices."
BlackBerry 10 Roadmap:

Old
10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
BlackBerry 10 Roadmap:

Is Blackforest a 10" BB tablet?

Old
10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
That's what I've heard at the very least.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Yes, a 10 Inch PlayBook.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Yeah, I did, and I still had the same problem. Have you tried it with any success?
I haven't tried it, sorry. I tried it on 2.0 and it didn't work but I thought 2.1 would fix it. But hopefully when BB10 rolls out Skype will be avaliable.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I hope they release the silver London that was leaked months ago. It was a beauty.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
I want both, but Skype is a bigger deal for me as well. I'm mildly torn - I DO want full functionality out of my Playbook - but at the same time, it would be nice to have an excuse to get a 10 inch tablet. Truth be told though, I don't think I would end up using a 10 inch one very often. I haven't done anything yet with the Playbook where I thought "I wish this tablet was bigger".
Gaming might be nice on a larger tablet, but in terms of productivity apps I think the 7" is just fine.

Also, I am getting more and more excited about the N-series phone.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Gaming might be nice on a larger tablet, but in terms of productivity apps I think the 7" is just fine.

Also, I am getting more and more excited about the N-series phone.
That might be close to when I'm looking for a new phone. When I got back from Brazil, I never ended up getting service, and gave my phone away. If they're out by the time I'm ready to go back to Brazil, I'll have to check them out. I might still go android again, but I would be curious to see them before I decide.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

I'm still not sold they will release a 10 inch tablet but I guess time will tell.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I'm still not sold they will release a 10 inch tablet but I guess time will tell.
I have probably said it in this thread, but as much as I love my PlayBook, it might be one of the main reasons RIM is in trouble. RIM put all of its attention into creating a tablet and ignored their handset division. BB10 phones should have been out ages ago and their huge gap between phones is hurting them a lot.

Now, I have a hard time believing that they're actually going to sink any time into a new tablet before they've finished with their entire line and put a lot of work into BB11 generation phones.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:07 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have probably said it in this thread, but as much as I love my PlayBook, it might be one of the main reasons RIM is in trouble. RIM put all of its attention into creating a tablet and ignored their handset division. BB10 phones should have been out ages ago and their huge gap between phones is hurting them a lot.

Now, I have a hard time believing that they're actually going to sink any time into a new tablet before they've finished with their entire line and put a lot of work into BB11 generation phones.
They apparently already have BB10 running on the Playbook. It isn't surprising considering its really the same OS under the covers.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

The PlayBook OS runs off of QNX.
BlackBerry 10 runs off of QNX.

The PlayBook OS will be updated to BlackBerry 10.

All the PlayBook Apps will be able to run on BlackBerry 10.

So all the work (and Apps) that has gone into the PlayBook will benefit the BlackBerry 10 Phones.

And they did just release a new upgraded 4G LTE PlayBook.

Last edited by Neely2005: 10-23-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Closed Thread