HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2012, 01:54 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
I have noticed that when I plug in the charging dock for my Bold 9780 sometimes the light doesn't come on right away and I need to force it for it to work. So is there a problem with it or not? Plus a few days ago I just came back from vacation and on some mornings when I turned on my BlackBerry it wasn't fully charged 100%. That got me wondering if the charging dock was effecting the battery itself? Because of that there was some nights when I didn't charge it and the next day when I turned it on the battery was almost empty, which has never happened before. At one point when I turned it on the battery was at 0% and it turned itself off. Since that charge it seems to be ok, however still having issues with the charging dock.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:46 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
More excellent BB10 news.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/blackb...ser-2012-11-09

Quote:
Well, RIM finally got the message this year and as a result is placing huge emphasis on creating a killer mobile web browsing experience for BlackBerry 10. The company's forthcoming browser slaughters standard HTML5 tests, making the iPhone's Safari browser look like an antique. And now BB10's browser has cleared Ring 1 on the Ringmark test, becoming only the second mobile browser to ever achieve the ranking.

“The browser team here at RIM has been working closely with the HTML5 experts at Facebook, who developed the Ringmark HTML5 test suite, to ensure the BlackBerry 10 browser would meet the standard,” wrote Matthew Staikos this week on RIM's developer blog. “By meeting the Ringmark Ring 1 benchmark standard, developers can add a level of advanced functionality to their HTML5 apps and be confident that the BlackBerry 10 browser can execute the app without problem.”

BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
ZenMaster*

Finally got to play with one...(relative works at RIM)

It flows seamlessly through pages, customization options are limited, I got bored of it pretty quick. After checking out the peek, active frames...there isn't much else to do. However this coming from an Android user so I am used to customizing my phone to an extreme degree. Going from an Iphone, Windows, to an Android, the BlackBerry just sits somewhere in the middle.

BB10.jpg

Old
12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
xi du

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Still not very eye-catching.

Saw the Nokia Lumia 920 in the mall and I was extremely impressed by the build-quality the uniqueness of the OS.

This is probably the best industrial design phone since the launch of the iPhone:

You won't get that many people sympathetic to the Lumia on a BB thread. Although, I would take the Lumia (any color) over the BB anyday of the week.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapDisBong View Post
You won't get that many people sympathetic to the Lumia on a BB thread. Although, I would take the Lumia (any color) over the BB anyday of the week.
Really? Do explain why?

Old
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Finally got to play with one...(relative works at RIM)

It flows seamlessly through pages, customization options are limited, I got bored of it pretty quick. After checking out the peek, active frames...there isn't much else to do. However this coming from an Android user so I am used to customizing my phone to an extreme degree. Going from an Iphone, Windows, to an Android, the BlackBerry just sits somewhere in the middle.

Attachment 59933
The L-Series hardware looks pretty nice form all the leaked shots.
I think it will get good traction in Canada and South East Asia, but for the rest of the world, I'm still not sure how it will go down.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
The L-Series hardware looks pretty nice form all the leaked shots.
I think it will get good traction in Canada and South East Asia, but for the rest of the world, I'm still not sure how it will go down.
BlackBerry has 79+ Million Current users. That's with it's Legacy OS. All they need to do is continue to grow that number. They'll steal market share from both iOS & Android with BlackBerry 10.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Got to play with a BB10 yesterday at my brother's New Year's party, one of the other guests works for a small developer in Montreal that was bought out by RIM. I like the feel and even my brother, the huge lover of Apple, really liked the phone. It does seem seamless when using the new OS. I can't wait to get one of my own.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:39 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Got to play with a BB10 yesterday at my brother's New Year's party, one of the other guests works for a small developer in Montreal that was bought out by RIM. I like the feel and even my brother, the huge lover of Apple, really liked the phone. It does seem seamless when using the new OS. I can't wait to get one of my own.
My buddy had an opportunity to try a version of the l-series or z10 phone and he loved it too. What encourages me is that he, like you, talked about how much he loved the "feel" of the phone. That's really important for RIM, because if people like the feel of the phone, they will play with it more in the phone stores and take more time to consider it as a viable option.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
That sounds like a Dev Alpha version not the final hardware/software.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
That sounds like a Dev Alpha version not the final hardware/software.
Nope it was the real deal.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Nope it was the real deal.
Cool, I'm assuming that it was the All Touchscreen model?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Cool, I'm assuming that it was the All Touchscreen model?
Yep it was. He said he has seen the keyboard but was given the touchscreen one.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

QNX (BlackBerry 10)

QNX (BlackBerry 10):

Old
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
BlackBerry has 79+ Million Current users. That's with it's Legacy OS. All they need to do is continue to grow that number. They'll steal market share from both iOS & Android with BlackBerry 10.
Oh, is that all they need to do?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Oh, is that all they need to do?
Apparently they need to sell around 18 million BB10 phones to break even, which is half of what they sold in 2012 so its actually not that far fetched to say they could pull through this.

They don't need to be Apple or Samsung to be successful, they just need to be a profitable company.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

vCash: 50
I'm still very excited to get my hands on BB10.
Even though I'm a converted Android guy I'll always have a soft spot for my BB.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Apparently they need to sell around 18 million BB10 phones to break even, which is half of what they sold in 2012 so its actually not that far fetched to say they could pull through this.

They don't need to be Apple or Samsung to be successful, they just need to be a profitable company.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing. I work for a phone company and know that people still like their Blackberry phones. I just thought it was funny how Neely2005 made it sound like it'd be a no brainer for RIM to gain a higher market share than they currently have.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Kestrel

I'm still really looking forward to the phones, and am hoping they're good enough to convert me over from android. And I'm really eager to see what BB10 is like on my Playbook!

Old
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I'm still really looking forward to the phones, and am hoping they're good enough to convert me over from android. And I'm really eager to see what BB10 is like on my Playbook!
I also cannot wait to see what BB10 does differently than the current OS does on the Playbook.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

vCash: 50
fresh tag

Old
01-08-2013, 06:17 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

some more first impressions of BB10 and the Z10

Quote:
Here's a taste of what my source told me:
The Z10's build quality is really solid, with a rubber back that snaps off so you can replace the battery.
The screen looks nice and has a high resolution.
Web browsing is very fast, just as fast as browsing on your desktop.
BB10 lets you set up separate profiles for work and personal use. This is perfect for those who don't want to carry around a separate work phone.
The hardware is pretty fast and boots up in less than a minute.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:55 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Looks like there will be a BB10 device for all budgets.

Quote:
While we've been concentrating on both the full-touch BlackBerry Z10 (L-Series) and the full QWERTY device (N-Series) we forget that it's been said all along that there will be more BlackBerry 10 devices available after the initial launch. RIM CMO Frank Boulben confirmed in an interview with FierceWireless that RIM does intend to release as least six BlackBerry 10 devices over the course of 2013, all falling into various pricing tiers.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Figured this would happen. Vodafone is the problem but RIM gets the flack.

Quote:
Shares of Research in Motion fell after BlackBerry users in Europe, Middle East and Africa were affected by a service outage and an analyst downgraded its stock.

RIM recovered from a 2.6 per cent drop at the open to trade down eight cents, or 0.68 per cent, at $11.71 in late morning trading Friday in Toronto.

Service provider Vodafone apologized after some customers lost emails, blaming a router error.

The problem appeared to be caused by connection issues with the wireless carrier’s systems.

RIM said it was supporting Vodafone’s attempts to restore service.

“We continue to monitor the situation closely,” it said in a release.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Figured this would happen. Vodafone is the problem but RIM gets the flack.
That is usually the way. RIM is a fun target for the media, so the media often tries to pile on.

Closed Thread