HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
  #476
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Well, I have not tried the BB10 so please list what is better in it compared to Windows Phone 8, iOS or Android?

Android got powerful support using Google tools, Apple got their own products which are popular (apart from their crappy maps) and Windows Phone got Office, Skype, Bing etc
Where do I start...
Flow, the camera, balance, browser, new bigger app world.

Flow - Is an easy flow from app to app with up to 6 apps being open at once and true multitasking.

Camera - Specifically the time shift ability " 'Time Shift' mode and snap your subject, and the app will then search for faces in the image. Once a face is located in a photo, you can tap it and literally roll back time to find the point at which your friend had their eyes open and the perfect grin. If there are multiple people in your snap, you can individually adjust each person."

Balance - Phones will have a personal and work setting. In Personal, you can install any apps you want, send any email, save any file and so on, working in a partition that's encrypted for privacy but not locked down in any way. you'll also have a Work partition that's also encrypted but completely separate and can be locked down if that's what the company wants. Your company can have complete control of this work section, giving you as much, or as little freedom within this area as they see fit – and everything in Work mode is fully secured, with remote wipe available just it case your handset goes astray.

Browser - Comparison tests have shown the BlackBerry 10 web browser to be faster than its equivalent on Apple's iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8. In fact BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1 for browser tests. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

App world - RIM has been working hard with developers to increase the number of unique apps available for BB10. There is even a rumor the Skype will be available as a developer noticed that an icon excited for it before it was hidden by RIM. Also there will be a personal and a work app world. With work one will allow your company to let you download certain specific apps they might want you to have. For exampled you can download an app that uses the NFC chip in your BlackBerry to unlock the door to the office, as well as locking out applications they don't deem suitable for using while at work.

Keyboard - Is vastly improved and the virtual keyboard is made to give a feel of a real one. Also the keyboard can work with up to 3 languages at a time and the predictive text is suppose to be amazing.

beowulf is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
  #477
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
BlackBerry 10 L Series:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Another pic of the first keyboard phone, possibly going to be called the X10.

The top image is the Z10 (L Series) and the bottom issue is the X10 (N Series).

I want the X10 hopefully it will be released a few weeks after the Z10.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  #478
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Where do I start...
Flow, the camera, balance, browser, new bigger app world.

Flow - Is an easy flow from app to app with up to 6 apps being open at once and true multitasking.

Camera - Specifically the time shift ability " 'Time Shift' mode and snap your subject, and the app will then search for faces in the image. Once a face is located in a photo, you can tap it and literally roll back time to find the point at which your friend had their eyes open and the perfect grin. If there are multiple people in your snap, you can individually adjust each person."

Balance - Phones will have a personal and work setting. In Personal, you can install any apps you want, send any email, save any file and so on, working in a partition that's encrypted for privacy but not locked down in any way. you'll also have a Work partition that's also encrypted but completely separate and can be locked down if that's what the company wants. Your company can have complete control of this work section, giving you as much, or as little freedom within this area as they see fit – and everything in Work mode is fully secured, with remote wipe available just it case your handset goes astray.

Browser - Comparison tests have shown the BlackBerry 10 web browser to be faster than its equivalent on Apple's iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8. In fact BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1 for browser tests. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

App world - RIM has been working hard with developers to increase the number of unique apps available for BB10. There is even a rumor the Skype will be available as a developer noticed that an icon excited for it before it was hidden by RIM. Also there will be a personal and a work app world. With work one will allow your company to let you download certain specific apps they might want you to have. For exampled you can download an app that uses the NFC chip in your BlackBerry to unlock the door to the office, as well as locking out applications they don't deem suitable for using while at work.

Keyboard - Is vastly improved and the virtual keyboard is made to give a feel of a real one. Also the keyboard can work with up to 3 languages at a time and the predictive text is suppose to be amazing.
Not to mention on the Enterprise side BlackBerry Exchange Server 10 came out yesterday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...e-android.html

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ent...lable-download

"RIM has been piloting BES 10 in many big enterprises, and the feedback has been extremely postive, as noted in the full press release below. The recently-announced trade-up program RIM recently announced is also important to highlight. Companies upgrading to BlackBerry 10 in 2013 will be able to trade in their current BES licenses for BES 10 ones at no charge."

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
  #479
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Is that really the Z10?.. I've seen a lot of the dev alpha videos and it looks a little thicker than what that shows...

Maybe I'm wrong.

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 03:06 PM
  #480
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Is that really the Z10?.. I've seen a lot of the dev alpha videos and it looks a little thicker than what that shows...

Maybe I'm wrong.
The dev alpha is just a device to put the OS on and is not the actual phone that is going to market. The one in the pictures is and I've actually held it and it is nice.

edit: I mean but the OS on so developers can use it to create apps.

beowulf is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
  #481
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,835
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Is that really the Z10?.. I've seen a lot of the dev alpha videos and it looks a little thicker than what that shows...

Maybe I'm wrong.


That shows the final model next to the iPhone 5, its just a bit thicker due to the bigger removable battery.

LC is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
  #482
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Ugh, I want it even more.

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:13 AM
  #483
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Latest rumor has Telus and Bell putting the new phone up for sale on February 5th and people thing Rogers will be a little before because they have historically had a good partnership with RIM so they might get them a little before.

beowulf is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
  #484
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
BlackBerry Z10 Dummy Units in Black & White

BlackBerry Z10 Dummy Units in Black & White:



http://crackberry.com/beautiful-pair...lack-and-white

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
  #485
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I'm gonna wait and see how the app world looks before commiting. If it's looking good then I'll come back to RIM. It's not gonna be the amount of apps but the specific ones that I use and need for school and work.

Towers is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
  #486
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I'm gonna wait and see how the app world looks before commiting. If it's looking good then I'll come back to RIM. It's not gonna be the amount of apps but the specific ones that I use and need for school and work.
That's also my mindset, I really hope they get what I need because I already want to switch back.

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  #487
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
That's also my mindset, I really hope they get what I need because I already want to switch back.
The app market will matter somewhat to me - I'm basically looking for an excuse to jump on board for the first time because I'm a Playbook owner, and I'll be needing a phone between now and June or December when I leave the country. Which of course means I'll have to find an unlocked one.

Kestrel is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:58 PM
  #488
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,835
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I'm gonna wait and see how the app world looks before commiting. If it's looking good then I'll come back to RIM. It's not gonna be the amount of apps but the specific ones that I use and need for school and work.
Considering they haven't sold a single phone yet, they'll be missing some apps at least at the beginning.

LC is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
  #489
JFmtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Don't let the door kick you on the way out.
I dont think RIM can afford anymore that kind of cocky attitude when their longtime users switches to another platform. See where that attitude got them in the first place. Hopefully, RIM's new management team understood this.

JFmtl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
  #490
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Considering they haven't sold a single phone yet, they'll be missing some apps at least at the beginning.
Yeah, I wasn't implying that I was gonna be an early adopter. Just that when the time comes for me to get a new phone RIM will need to have a decent app market for me to consider it.

To me, a phone is a phone is a phone. Apple, android, Windows or blackberry. If it has the functionality that I require then I choose that one.
If they all have the functionality then I get a lot or choices.

Towers is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
  #491
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFmtl View Post
I dont think RIM can afford anymore that kind of cocky attitude when their longtime users switches to another platform. See where that attitude got them in the first place. Hopefully, RIM's new management team understood this.
Not being cocky just gets annoying when someone comes in a BB thread just to say he bought another phone.

beowulf is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
  #492
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
2 More Days

Only 2 more days.


Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
  #493
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Only 2 more days.

Not gonne lie, definitely excited to see what happens.

As much as I disliked RIM for mismanaging themselves this COULD be an epic comeback.

Everybody loves a comeback.

Towers is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
  #494
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Only 2 more days.

1 more day.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
  #495
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Great read on the core of the BB10 OS

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-an...-blackberry-10

beowulf is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
  #496
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Great read on the core of the BB10 OS

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-an...-blackberry-10
That's a pretty in depth write up. Thanks for posting it.

Neely2005 is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  #497
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,809
vCash: 500
Neely, maybe it's time for a thread title update! We're less than a day away! I made it! My 9700 made it!

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
  #498
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Do we know what time the online streaming will begin?

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
  #499
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,809
vCash: 500
About 14 hours from now.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
  #500
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,712
vCash: 500
Today @ 10AM.



Today @ 10AM EST.

#BB10Believe


Last edited by Neely2005: 01-30-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: #BB10Believe
Neely2005 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.