HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Well, I have not tried the BB10 so please list what is better in it compared to Windows Phone 8, iOS or Android?

Android got powerful support using Google tools, Apple got their own products which are popular (apart from their crappy maps) and Windows Phone got Office, Skype, Bing etc
Where do I start...
Flow, the camera, balance, browser, new bigger app world.

Flow - Is an easy flow from app to app with up to 6 apps being open at once and true multitasking.

Camera - Specifically the time shift ability " 'Time Shift' mode and snap your subject, and the app will then search for faces in the image. Once a face is located in a photo, you can tap it and literally roll back time to find the point at which your friend had their eyes open and the perfect grin. If there are multiple people in your snap, you can individually adjust each person."

Balance - Phones will have a personal and work setting. In Personal, you can install any apps you want, send any email, save any file and so on, working in a partition that's encrypted for privacy but not locked down in any way. you'll also have a Work partition that's also encrypted but completely separate and can be locked down if that's what the company wants. Your company can have complete control of this work section, giving you as much, or as little freedom within this area as they see fit – and everything in Work mode is fully secured, with remote wipe available just it case your handset goes astray.

Browser - Comparison tests have shown the BlackBerry 10 web browser to be faster than its equivalent on Apple's iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8. In fact BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1 for browser tests. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

App world - RIM has been working hard with developers to increase the number of unique apps available for BB10. There is even a rumor the Skype will be available as a developer noticed that an icon excited for it before it was hidden by RIM. Also there will be a personal and a work app world. With work one will allow your company to let you download certain specific apps they might want you to have. For exampled you can download an app that uses the NFC chip in your BlackBerry to unlock the door to the office, as well as locking out applications they don't deem suitable for using while at work.

Keyboard - Is vastly improved and the virtual keyboard is made to give a feel of a real one. Also the keyboard can work with up to 3 languages at a time and the predictive text is suppose to be amazing.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
BlackBerry 10 L Series:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Another pic of the first keyboard phone, possibly going to be called the X10.

The top image is the Z10 (L Series) and the bottom issue is the X10 (N Series).

I want the X10 hopefully it will be released a few weeks after the Z10.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Where do I start...
Flow, the camera, balance, browser, new bigger app world.

Flow - Is an easy flow from app to app with up to 6 apps being open at once and true multitasking.

Camera - Specifically the time shift ability " 'Time Shift' mode and snap your subject, and the app will then search for faces in the image. Once a face is located in a photo, you can tap it and literally roll back time to find the point at which your friend had their eyes open and the perfect grin. If there are multiple people in your snap, you can individually adjust each person."

Balance - Phones will have a personal and work setting. In Personal, you can install any apps you want, send any email, save any file and so on, working in a partition that's encrypted for privacy but not locked down in any way. you'll also have a Work partition that's also encrypted but completely separate and can be locked down if that's what the company wants. Your company can have complete control of this work section, giving you as much, or as little freedom within this area as they see fit – and everything in Work mode is fully secured, with remote wipe available just it case your handset goes astray.

Browser - Comparison tests have shown the BlackBerry 10 web browser to be faster than its equivalent on Apple's iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8. In fact BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1 for browser tests. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

App world - RIM has been working hard with developers to increase the number of unique apps available for BB10. There is even a rumor the Skype will be available as a developer noticed that an icon excited for it before it was hidden by RIM. Also there will be a personal and a work app world. With work one will allow your company to let you download certain specific apps they might want you to have. For exampled you can download an app that uses the NFC chip in your BlackBerry to unlock the door to the office, as well as locking out applications they don't deem suitable for using while at work.

Keyboard - Is vastly improved and the virtual keyboard is made to give a feel of a real one. Also the keyboard can work with up to 3 languages at a time and the predictive text is suppose to be amazing.
Not to mention on the Enterprise side BlackBerry Exchange Server 10 came out yesterday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...e-android.html

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ent...lable-download

"RIM has been piloting BES 10 in many big enterprises, and the feedback has been extremely postive, as noted in the full press release below. The recently-announced trade-up program RIM recently announced is also important to highlight. Companies upgrading to BlackBerry 10 in 2013 will be able to trade in their current BES licenses for BES 10 ones at no charge."

Old
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Is that really the Z10?.. I've seen a lot of the dev alpha videos and it looks a little thicker than what that shows...

Maybe I'm wrong.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:06 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Is that really the Z10?.. I've seen a lot of the dev alpha videos and it looks a little thicker than what that shows...

Maybe I'm wrong.
The dev alpha is just a device to put the OS on and is not the actual phone that is going to market. The one in the pictures is and I've actually held it and it is nice.

edit: I mean but the OS on so developers can use it to create apps.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong.

That shows the final model next to the iPhone 5, its just a bit thicker due to the bigger removable battery.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Ugh, I want it even more.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:13 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Latest rumor has Telus and Bell putting the new phone up for sale on February 5th and people thing Rogers will be a little before because they have historically had a good partnership with RIM so they might get them a little before.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry Z10 Dummy Units in Black & White

BlackBerry Z10 Dummy Units in Black & White:

http://crackberry.com/beautiful-pair...lack-and-white

Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
I'm gonna wait and see how the app world looks before commiting. If it's looking good then I'll come back to RIM. It's not gonna be the amount of apps but the specific ones that I use and need for school and work.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I'm gonna wait and see how the app world looks before commiting. If it's looking good then I'll come back to RIM. It's not gonna be the amount of apps but the specific ones that I use and need for school and work.
That's also my mindset, I really hope they get what I need because I already want to switch back.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
That's also my mindset, I really hope they get what I need because I already want to switch back.
The app market will matter somewhat to me - I'm basically looking for an excuse to jump on board for the first time because I'm a Playbook owner, and I'll be needing a phone between now and June or December when I leave the country. Which of course means I'll have to find an unlocked one.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:58 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Considering they haven't sold a single phone yet, they'll be missing some apps at least at the beginning.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
JFmtl

Quote:
Don't let the door kick you on the way out.
I dont think RIM can afford anymore that kind of cocky attitude when their longtime users switches to another platform. See where that attitude got them in the first place. Hopefully, RIM's new management team understood this.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Considering they haven't sold a single phone yet, they'll be missing some apps at least at the beginning.
Yeah, I wasn't implying that I was gonna be an early adopter. Just that when the time comes for me to get a new phone RIM will need to have a decent app market for me to consider it.

To me, a phone is a phone is a phone. Apple, android, Windows or blackberry. If it has the functionality that I require then I choose that one.
If they all have the functionality then I get a lot or choices.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFmtl View Post
I dont think RIM can afford anymore that kind of cocky attitude when their longtime users switches to another platform. See where that attitude got them in the first place. Hopefully, RIM's new management team understood this.
Not being cocky just gets annoying when someone comes in a BB thread just to say he bought another phone.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

2 More Days

Only 2 more days.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Only 2 more days.

Not gonne lie, definitely excited to see what happens.

As much as I disliked RIM for mismanaging themselves this COULD be an epic comeback.

Everybody loves a comeback.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Only 2 more days.

1 more day.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Great read on the core of the BB10 OS

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-an...-blackberry-10

Old
01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Great read on the core of the BB10 OS

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-an...-blackberry-10
That's a pretty in depth write up. Thanks for posting it.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Johnny LaRue

Neely, maybe it's time for a thread title update! We're less than a day away! I made it! My 9700 made it!

Old
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Do we know what time the online streaming will begin?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Johnny LaRue

About 14 hours from now.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Today @ 10AM.

Today @ 10AM EST.