HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I think you should ask someone else since all his answers are positive with a spin.

I spent a good amount of time using this phone,

the battery does not last me a whole day, the keyboard is decent but nothing revolutionary, I think my droid's swype keyboard is faster and much bigger keys on a 4.7 inch screen.

The phone is simply just an upgrade over Blackberry's previous OS, nothing wowed me or it does not have one outstanding feature that trumps the competition. I didn't get the same feeling when I first got my hands on a droid. I suggest you test it before you buy it.
People with a negative spin are so much better.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I still want to try one out, and better yet, when it's available, get BB10 on my Playbook, but despite some of the negative spin out there, I'm not hearing anything that makes me think it'll be bad for someone looking for an excuse to jump to a BB phone like I am.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:02 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Not a negative spin, I am fairly open to different OS, I have a droid and windows phone. I'm rooting for BB, just giving my initial thoughts. It doesn't do anything special that a smartphone doesn't do today to sway me to replace any of my phones.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Looking for some help here. I'm thinking about buying a used BB Bold 9900, but it is currently locked to the bell network. I am with Fido (I'm in Canada btw). If I unlock the BB will I be able to use the phone with my fido SIM card? I've read some things but no clear answer. Something about bell using CDMA and fido using gsm, I don't know what any of that means. Any help would be great

Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Looking for some help here. I'm thinking about buying a used BB Bold 9900, but it is currently locked to the bell network. I am with Fido (I'm in Canada btw). If I unlock the BB will I be able to use the phone with my fido SIM card? I've read some things but no clear answer. Something about bell using CDMA and fido using gsm, I don't know what any of that means. Any help would be great
You could always ask the person if the phone is a CDMA phone. Or if they're not technically inclined - if it uses a SIM card.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:51 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
I think you should ask someone else since all his answers are positive with a spin.

I spent a good amount of time using this phone,

the battery does not last me a whole day, the keyboard is decent but nothing revolutionary, I think my droid's swype keyboard is faster and much bigger keys on a 4.7 inch screen.

The phone is simply just an upgrade over Blackberry's previous OS, nothing wowed me or it does not have one outstanding feature that trumps the competition. I didn't get the same feeling when I first got my hands on a droid. I suggest you test it before you buy it.
Ya so lets listen to the guy who only has a negative spin. I've tried the droid swype and the new BB one and the BB is much better and much more accurate.

It is no simply and upgrade over the previous OS, you saying that shows how little you know about it. This is a completely different OS I hate *******s who make comments like this, on anything in life actually, when they don't even know what they are talking about. Go up a little and look for one of my posts where I link to an article that really explains the difference with all the old BB OSs and this one.

It has many features that trump the competition while others are indeed just the BB version of something others have. All phones are more or less like that when they come out. The BB camera is amazing, the HUB is great just to name two things.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not, but it is an amazing phone and I would not listen to an obvious droid fan like yourself if I wanted a true idea of the power of the BB phone. I will agree with you and say that people should go try it out for themselves.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
There is a way of unlocking a phone for any use on any network if I recall.

Check this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...unlock-637265/

Quote:
i,

Yes, exactly!

Unlocking your Blackberry Bold 9900 will allow you to use any sim card from any carrier as long as they support the same bands as the phone.

The GSM/HSPA Bands will not differ after unlocking the phone, they will remain the same.

These are the BELL 9900's HSPA/UMTS Bands: 850/1900/2100 MHz

Yes Different Carrier do have different network frequency bands.

850MHz and 1900MHz (Rogers, Fido, Bell, Telus Canada) = 3G voice and data network
1900MHz (AT&T) = 3G voice and data network
1700MHz (TMO) = 3G voice and data network
2100MHz = 3G voice and data network in Europe and Asia

So to confirm with you, your Bell Blackberry Bold 9900 will work with both Rogers and AT&T after you unlock it.

If you need help unlocking it or have any questions at all, shoot us a pm or email at James at BlackberryCodeSource.com

Cheers!

Old
02-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Thanks a lot guys that really helps. Even if it doesn't work for me Ill just flip it and make some money :p

Old
02-09-2013, 01:05 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya so lets listen to the guy who only has a negative spin. I've tried the droid swype and the new BB one and the BB is much better and much more accurate.

It is no simply and upgrade over the previous OS, you saying that shows how little you know about it. This is a completely different OS I hate *******s who make comments like this, on anything in life actually, when they don't even know what they are talking about. Go up a little and look for one of my posts where I link to an article that really explains the difference with all the old BB OSs and this one.

It has many features that trump the competition while others are indeed just the BB version of something others have. All phones are more or less like that when they come out. The BB camera is amazing, the HUB is great just to name two things.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not, but it is an amazing phone and I would not listen to an obvious droid fan like yourself if I wanted a true idea of the power of the BB phone. I will agree with you and say that people should go try it out for themselves.
beta.swype.com

that keyboard is probably the best keyboard I have used. I've spent a significant amount of time with the dev model, go back a few pages to see a picture that I posted it. I've spent a good amount of time with teh final version so I do know what I am talking about. As I said its a decent phone but it did not wow me in any way. This is coming from a hardcore windows phone fan that absolutely hated Android, as soon I played with an Android, my entire perception changed. I was hoping BlackBerry would impress me enough to leave my Lumia 920...it did not. I was bored with it after 10 minutes.

Android offers the most customization of a phone, I can literally make it look like anything I want it to.
Windows Phone offers an integrated ecosystem that syncs with my PC and Xbox 360.

Blackberry....BBM?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
beta.swype.com

that keyboard is probably the best keyboard I have used. I've spent a significant amount of time with the dev model, go back a few pages to see a picture that I posted it. I've spent a good amount of time with teh final version so I do know what I am talking about. As I said its a decent phone but it did not wow me in any way. This is coming from a hardcore windows phone fan that absolutely hated Android, as soon I played with an Android, my entire perception changed. I was hoping BlackBerry would impress me enough to leave my Lumia 920...it did not. I was bored with it after 10 minutes.

Android offers the most customization of a phone, I can literally make it look like anything I want it to.
Windows Phone offers an integrated ecosystem that syncs with my PC and Xbox 360.

Blackberry....BBM?
You don't like the z10 because it bored you? Okay, I can see the issue is that we simply want different things from our phones. I want my phone to help me accomplish tasks, you want it to entertain you. We all look for different things.

Though, entertainment is a task in and of itself I suppose.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
You don't like the z10 because it bored you? Okay, I can see the issue is that we simply want different things from our phones. I want my phone to help me accomplish tasks, you want it to entertain you. We all look for different things.

Though, entertainment is a task in and of itself I suppose.
This is the most ignorant comment I have read today, are you saying BlackBerry is the only phone that can accomplish tasks ? Is the only excuse BB users have because their phones don't have all the bells & whistles so they justify it by saying that it's a tool? Again, what does the BlackBerry do that other Operating Systems can't?

I run two businesses, Windows/Android help me do it just fine while providing entertainment and a full fledged ecosystem.

Again, I'm not saying BB is a bad phone its just not on the same level as other OS. Now if BB is the first to integrate QNX with cars, then they have my attention.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
This is the most ignorant comment I have read today, are you saying BlackBerry is the only phone that can accomplish tasks ? Is the only excuse BB users have because their phones don't have all the bells & whistles so they justify it by saying that it's a tool? Again, what does the BlackBerry do that other Operating Systems can't?

I run two businesses, Windows/Android help me do it just fine while providing entertainment and a full fledged ecosystem.

Again, I'm not saying BB is a bad phone its just not on the same level as other OS. Now if BB is the first to integrate QNX with cars, then they have my attention.
Not particularly ignorant considering you just said the phone bored you. You didn't really say much more than that. If you have more to say, say it - I don't have one, haven't been able to play with one yet, and want to know if I'm going to want one - otherwise, if you don't have more to say, your comments are pretty worthless.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:

I can understand the Android argument but the Windows ecosystem isn't any better than BB.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
How is the battery, Neely?
It gets through the day with a little level over. Definitely a big change from my BlackBerry Bold 9700 which would get through multiple days.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Still selling well

So I showed my Z10 to my best friend and now he wants to get rid of his iPhone 5 and get a BlackBerry Z10. He's on Rogers so we called the 3 nearest Rogers stores and they're all sold out still.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post

I can understand the Android argument but the Windows ecosystem isn't any better than BB.
The Windows ecosystem is pretty solid with huge potential. Considering my PC, Tablet, and Xbox (which is also my cable receiver) are all running on Windows 8/Metro. The possibilities are limitless. I also enjoy the UI, its refreshing compared to the other OS's. I just wish it had more apps and a unified notification center.

It will be real interesting to see the QNX become implemented cars and I hope BB doesn't **** it up and move fast on this because it is inevitable for cars to become connnected. The story of BlackBerry: The right idea, but piss poor execution.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So I showed my Z10 to my best friend and now he wants to get rid of his iPhone 5 and get a BlackBerry Z10. He's on Rogers so we called the 3 nearest Rogers stores and they're all sold out still.
I'm an iPhone 5 user. I don't know enough about the Z10 to determine if it would be a good switch. But the iPhones are definitely overrated. Didn't get the hype before I got one, decided to try one out and still don't get the hype. A nice phone but its not the best.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I'm an iPhone 5 user. I don't know enough about the Z10 to determine if it would be a good switch. But the iPhones are definitely overrated. Didn't get the hype before I got one, decided to try one out and still don't get the hype. A nice phone but its not the best.
Same boat.

Got rid of my broken Torch and got the 4s back when it came out. Really have not enjoyed it, doing everything in my power to get a Z10.

Ugh, I hate that it's sold out but I'm also happy at the same time they're doing so well thus far.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:

You have attributed many comments to me that I never made.

Yes, I made a smart ass comment, but making comments saying the BB phones are boring...In this thread, it going to elicit that comment. I didn't mean anything by it.

Last edited by SniperHF: 02-10-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I still want them to get Netflix. When they get Netflix, I'll make the change.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
LC

Quote:
The Windows ecosystem is pretty solid with huge potential. Considering my PC, Tablet, and Xbox (which is also my cable receiver) are all running on Windows 8/Metro. The possibilities are limitless. I also enjoy the UI, its refreshing compared to the other OS's. I just wish it had more apps and a unified notification center.

It will be real interesting to see the QNX become implemented cars and I hope BB doesn't **** it up and move fast on this because it is inevitable for cars to become connnected. The story of BlackBerry: The right idea, but piss poor execution.
I don't think you'll need a PC or a console in 5 years time so I'm not very convinced that its such a big deal. Of course BB needs to focus right now on just surviving, they are up against a lot of competitors with deep pockets. Microsoft has something like $60 billion in just cash so I'm not counting them out. They need to move away from the traditional desktop though, people don't want that anymore.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
I don't think you'll need a PC or a console in 5 years time so I'm not very convinced that its such a big deal.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
I don't think you'll need a PC or a console in 5 years time so I'm not very convinced that its such a big deal. Of course BB needs to focus right now on just surviving, they are up against a lot of competitors with deep pockets. Microsoft has something like $60 billion in just cash so I'm not counting them out. They need to move away from the traditional desktop though, people don't want that anymore.
That's funny considering there is going to be another billion PCs that are used in 2014, which 70 percent of emerging markets will contribute to it.

Consoles are shifting to entertainment hubs, my Xbox isn't just a game machine, I watch UFC, Netflix, and Telus Optik TV. In addition I use it to stream music from my PC to my TV, Videos, and pictures. The least thing I do is play games on it

That is a bold, but quite idiotic, statement to think that multi-billion dollar industries are just going to disappear in 5 years,

Old
02-10-2013, 04:45 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
For the average person, they won't need either of them.

Quote:
That's funny considering there is going to be another billion PCs that are used in 2014, which 70 percent of emerging markets will contribute to it.

Consoles are shifting to entertainment hubs, my Xbox isn't just a game machine, I watch UFC, Netflix, and Telus Optik TV. In addition I use it to stream music from my PC to my TV, Videos, and pictures. The least thing I do is play games on it

That is a bold, but quite idiotic, statement to think that multi-billion dollar industries are just going to disappear in 5 years,
You can already do all of that on a phone so why buy an extra device? I'm not saying it'll disappear in 5 years, just that the average person won't need it.

I should just be able to hook my phone into a bigger screen, and add a bluetooth mouse and keyboard if I want to use something like a text editor or a browser. If I want to play video games, I should just be able to hook it into a tv and some wireless controllers. There's no need for 3 or more devices that all do the same thing.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I still want them to get Netflix. When they get Netflix, I'll make the change.
Here you go:

http://crackberry.com/first-look-net...-blackberry-10

Last edited by Neely2005: 02-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Closed Thread