HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 04:29 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
beta.swype.com

that keyboard is probably the best keyboard I have used. I've spent a significant amount of time with the dev model, go back a few pages to see a picture that I posted it. I've spent a good amount of time with teh final version so I do know what I am talking about. As I said its a decent phone but it did not wow me in any way. This is coming from a hardcore windows phone fan that absolutely hated Android, as soon I played with an Android, my entire perception changed. I was hoping BlackBerry would impress me enough to leave my Lumia 920...it did not. I was bored with it after 10 minutes.

Android offers the most customization of a phone, I can literally make it look like anything I want it to.
Windows Phone offers an integrated ecosystem that syncs with my PC and Xbox 360.

Blackberry....BBM?
You got bored with a developer model that was far from the final product? Really? Sure the Android can be customized but you give up one big thing, security.

Something I posted earlier in this thread

Quote:
Where do I start...
Flow, the camera, balance, browser, new bigger app world.

Flow - Is an easy flow from app to app with up to 6 apps being open at once and true multitasking.

Camera - Specifically the time shift ability " 'Time Shift' mode and snap your subject, and the app will then search for faces in the image. Once a face is located in a photo, you can tap it and literally roll back time to find the point at which your friend had their eyes open and the perfect grin. If there are multiple people in your snap, you can individually adjust each person."

Balance - Phones will have a personal and work setting. In Personal, you can install any apps you want, send any email, save any file and so on, working in a partition that's encrypted for privacy but not locked down in any way. you'll also have a Work partition that's also encrypted but completely separate and can be locked down if that's what the company wants. Your company can have complete control of this work section, giving you as much, or as little freedom within this area as they see fit – and everything in Work mode is fully secured, with remote wipe available just it case your handset goes astray.

Browser - Comparison tests have shown the BlackBerry 10 web browser to be faster than its equivalent on Apple's iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8. In fact BB10 scores a perfect 149/149 on Ring 1 for browser tests. The latest Safari for iPhone fails nine tests on iOS 6.0. And where the iPhone scores in the high 300s on HTML5test.com, BB10 scores in the high 400s—nearly a perfect score and even better than Google Chrome on desktop.

App world - RIM has been working hard with developers to increase the number of unique apps available for BB10. There is even a rumor the Skype will be available as a developer noticed that an icon excited for it before it was hidden by RIM. Also there will be a personal and a work app world. With work one will allow your company to let you download certain specific apps they might want you to have. For exampled you can download an app that uses the NFC chip in your BlackBerry to unlock the door to the office, as well as locking out applications they don't deem suitable for using while at work.

Keyboard - Is vastly improved and the virtual keyboard is made to give a feel of a real one. Also the keyboard can work with up to 3 languages at a time and the predictive text is suppose to be amazing.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:52 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
You got bored with a developer model that was far from the final product? Really? Sure the Android can be customized but you give up one big thing, security.

Something I posted earlier in this thread
Don't mind the security with Android, I've had no problem with the phone's lack of security.

Camera: Nokia Lumia 920 trumps any Smartphone's camera with the ablity to do "time shift" and other lenses.

Flow: Android switches to through apps extremely fast, all I have to click is one button which is recent apps.

Balance: This feature is not strong enough to persuade me.

App Word: ...this is a feature that trumps other Operating Systems?

Keyboard: On screen keyboards are high customizable on the Droid, I rather have a bigger screen like a 4.7 inch screen that makes pressing the keys much easier. I have a easier time typing on my 4.7 inch Razr HD than the BB. Not to mention, Swiftkey 3 and Swype Beta are the best keyboards I have used.

BlackBerry came out with an upgrade over their previous phones but they still lack far behind from today's competition. They are going to fall even more behind when new phones like the rumored 41 MP Nokia Windows Phone is announced at MWC this month as well as the next era of Android phones announced at Google i/o.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Don't mind the security with Android, I've had no problem with the phone's lack of security.

Camera: Nokia Lumia 920 trumps any Smartphone's camera with the ablity to do "time shift" and other lenses. Really? Think not BB invested a lot on the camera and one think most reviewers agree on is that the Z10 phone and related software is pretty much the best out there right now

Flow: Android switches to through apps extremely fast, all I have to click is one button which is recent apps. Yet BB can do it as fast if not faster

Balance: This feature is not strong enough to persuade me. That's you but you are likely not the target, business world is and I have a feeling it will persuade many

App Word: ...this is a feature that trumps other Operating Systems? No trump, never said that and the Z10 can still run android apps on top of its own native apps

Keyboard: On screen keyboards are high customizable on the Droid, I rather have a bigger screen like a 4.7 inch screen that makes pressing the keys much easier. I have a easier time typing on my 4.7 inch Razr HD than the BB. Not to mention, Swiftkey 3 and Swype Beta are the best keyboards I have used. wow 4.7 compared to the 4.2 of the Z10? Such a huge difference. Add the amazing predictive text ability of the BB10 OS and it's no big deal. Also I love the ability of the new BB keyboard to allow for up to 3 languages. As someone who is fluent in English and French and is improving his Polish having the option to message people in 3 languages with the words being predicted etc is amazing.

BlackBerry came out with an upgrade over their previous phones but they still lack far behind from today's competition. They are going to fall even more behind when new phones like the rumored 41 MP Nokia Windows Phone is announced at MWC this month as well as the next era of Android phones announced at Google i/o.
Lack? Maybe you mean lag and I just don't see how they lag behind anyone. You are grasping at straws and don't want to open your yes to the possibility that BB10 is a great effort by BB and throws them back into the thick of the mobile phone market. Will the lead the market? Probably not, but they should be able to claw back a chunk of what they had lost.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

BB10 looks phenomenal.
Those guys over at QNX really know how to put software together. Had I not bought a Nexus 4 a few months ago I'd certainly be buying this phone now.
The only argument I'd accept from anybody is app support, and even then, if it's an app worthwhile it will eventually make its way over.

Once the BB10 with keyboard comes along it will be even harder to persuade myself not to get it.

Long live physical keyboards!

Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
The Moose

Who is providing GPS navigation to BB and how does it compare with Google's? Do the maps work offline?

Old
02-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Who is providing GPS navigation to BB and how does it compare with Google's? Do the maps work offline?
IIRC Tom Tom does the maps.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Thinking of switching from iPhone to BlackBerry 10? Here's what you need to know

Thinking of switching from iPhone to BlackBerry 10? Here's what you need to know:

http://crackberry.com/thinking-switc...one-blackberry

Old
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry Q10: Top 5 Things You Should Know

BlackBerry Q10: Top 5 Things You Should Know:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/02/...34&DATE=021213

Old
02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Selling Well!

It looks like the BlackBerry Z10 is off to a very strong start:

http://crackberry.com/rogers-sold-mo...46965925417366

http://business.financialpost.com/20...lackberry-z10/

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...tstrips-supply

Quote:
“In fact, it was more than 50% better than any other launch day in our history in Canada.”
Quote:
“In the U.K., we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphone,”
Quote:
Via Rogers:

Sold more BlackBerry smartphones on February 5th 2013 than any other day in Rogers history (Rogers was the first carrier to launch BlackBerry services in 1999).

Rogers BlackBerry experts activated thousands of BlackBerry Z10 smartphones yesterday, and provided customers with in depth training and support.

Some stores have temporarily sold out of the BlackBerry Z10 and additional inventory has been shipped to Rogers retail locations across Canada.
Quote:
The Z10 is likely to do as well as Samsung's SIII and the iPhone 5, said Mr Khanzadah. "This is one of the biggest launches along the lines of the SIII and the iPhone 5. It will be a straight fight between all three.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Wow @ that last quote.

Very impressive.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
It seems like a great phone. Exciting to see Android, iOS, BlackBerry doing well. Hopefully we can get some bigger must-have Windows phones out there to add even more competition.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
RIM shares down 8% today...

Old
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Still up over 100% since around September. It went up 15% the other day, its just a really volatile stock.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Shares dropped because home Depot executives switched to iPhone.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Interest in BlackBerry 10 surges while iPhone loyalty slips

Interest in BlackBerry 10 surges while iPhone loyalty slips:

http://bgr.com/2013/02/13/blackberry...alysis-326658/

Old
02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Sounds good to me http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...illie-rim.html

Quote:
Former BlackBerry chairman and co-CEO Jim Balsillie no longer holds any shares of the Canadian company he once helped run, according to filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Waiting for you to post that RIM shares are up 8% today...oh wait its not negative so it'll never make the news.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
ZenMaster*

Blackberry Z10 Review: Not Good Enough

http://gizmodo.com/5984411/blackberr...ot-good-enough

Quote:
You're on an island. Unlike every other major OS right now, BlackBerry does not feel fully integrated in the way that others do. It's not just the lack of apps that Windows Phone faces. It's the lack of in-house services in BlackBerry's stable. Microsoft, Google, and Apple all have their own cloud service. They all have deep desktop integration, be it with Office and Google Docs, or Apple's OS X Notes and Reminders stuff. You can sync Safari, IE, and Chrome to their desktop counterparts' bookmarks and tabs. None of that stuff is as baked-in and evident on BB10.
My exact sentiments.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I tried to hold back from countering this statement, but I'll indulge myself and retort anyways.

Customization has little to nothing to do with the security of Android. Furthermore, exploits at the OS Application level are mostly third party apps, which ultimately fall to the users discretion, which if you stick to the market and popular apps is a moot factor.

Secondly, Kernel level exploits are few and far in between. Remember that when something is found this is the same Linux kernel used by the vast majority of servers of the Internet. Not to mention that QNX, the base of BlackBerry 10, isn't far off from Linux and close enough to emulate Android within the OS.

Lastly, the most publicized exploits these days expose hardware level loophole, like the Samsung Exynos exploit which does not discriminate by OS and would theoretically affect a Galaxy S II/III to an iPhone 5 to a BlackBerry Z10.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Blackberry Z10 Review: Not Good Enough

http://gizmodo.com/5984411/blackberr...ot-good-enough

My exact sentiments.

Whatever man go post in that windows 8 phone thread with the other 3 people that have one.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Just got the Z10 and so far it has impressed me. Feels great, the keyboard is fantastic and the screen is awesome. The hardware and OS have definitely lived up to the billing.

The relative lack of native apps is definitely noticeable (where is Game Centre?!) but given the early popularity that should change rather quickly. Some of the specific apps work extremely well so if that is a sign of things to come people will be pretty happy.

Am somewhat confused as to what the Gizmodo review is talking about regarding the cloud and office integration seeing as Box and Dropbox are loaded on with more coming but maybe they're talking about something else.

But anyway, color me impressed so far.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Just got the Z10 and so far it has impressed me. Feels great, the keyboard is fantastic and the screen is awesome. The hardware and OS have definitely lived up to the billing.

The relative lack of native apps is definitely noticeable (where is Game Centre?!) but given the early popularity that should change rather quickly. Some of the specific apps work extremely well so if that is a sign of things to come people will be pretty happy.

Am somewhat confused as to what the Gizmodo review is talking about regarding the cloud and office integration seeing as Box and Dropbox are loaded on with more coming but maybe they're talking about something else.

But anyway, color me impressed so far.
Apparently NHL Game Center will be available soon.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry 10 Take Over App for iOS & Android

BlackBerry 10 Take Over App for iOS & Android:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-off...r-takeover-app

Old
02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, the analysts are looking to get out ahead.

"Canaccord slashes estimate of BlackBerry 10 sales"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail
Mr. Walkley, who specified in an e-mail that this was his first sales estimate cut since the U.S. delay was revealed, says his checks with retail stores indicate steady, but modest demand, and that wireless carriers – after initial reports of strong interest – are being cautious with how many devices to order from RIM. Generally, RIM sells phones to carriers, who then sell the devices through their own retail chains. Mr. Walkley also cautioned that Samsung and others are likely to have sleek, new devices ready to launch in the U.S. when RIM’s devices finally make it to that market.

“With new BB10 smartphones launching in the U.S. only in mid-March or later at subsidized prices no better than competing high-end Apple/Samsung smartphones… we are lowering our BB10 sales estimates for the February quarter and all of [fiscal] 2014,” Mr. Walkley wrote in a note to clients. “Further, we believe carrier support for BlackBerry 10 in the U.S. is modest, as demonstrated by Sprint only planning to launch the Q10 [BlackBerry with a physical keyboard] and T-Mobile only the Z10.”

Closed Thread