HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 01:40 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 250
I am enjoying both honestly but I do as sad as it is to say miss the screen size when using the Q10. Looks like my daughter is going to be getting my Q. I am going to keep the Z for myself. I got the Q for 49 through Rogers after Bell called me and tried to get me to switch and offered me new Q and Z10s for 0 dollars on the changeover. I called Rogers and they offered me Z10s at 29 and Q10s at 49 so I got the Q for 49 and have been playing with it for a few days. I love the dark theme on the Q and the much longer battery life almost 2 days on a charge at this point.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Hopefully this means I get BB10 on my PlayBook and that will entice me to get a new BlackBerry phone.
I'm almost ready for a new phone. I'm waiting to see if get go through with their promise. If I don't get BB10 on my playbook, I'll be skipping Blackberry's newest phone.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
I'm almost ready for a new phone. I'm waiting to see if get go through with their promise. If I don't get BB10 on my playbook, I'll be skipping Blackberry's newest phone.
Yeah. I am a month away from upgrading as well.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Yeah. I am a month away from upgrading as well.
I'm running phoneless right now, and don't actually need a phone until November or December. They definitely need to impress me by then, otherwise I'm sure there will be a lot of great Android options ready to go before I leave the country.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Surprised Neely has not posted this yet.

Right then, here we go again. After having saw the device leak out in white, then red we now have a more visually pleasing black version to look at. Yes, the BlackBerry R10 as its known, has popped up once again and this time it has some specs to go along with it. They're certainly not on the same level as the BlackBerry Q10 or the BlackBerry Z10 but that's been pretty much known for a while now and was expected. Here's what's been tossed around for specs:

3.1-inch display, 720 x 720 resolution
5MP rear camera, front camera
Support to shoot up to 2560 x 1920 resolution photos
2GB of RAM
8GB internal storage
1800 mAh non-removable Battery
BlackBerry 10.1 OS
Many folks had questions about the red version because there were some obvious errors but as these images clearly show, the device is live and not just a dummy unit. You can jump below to see some more images in the gallery but do keep in mind we still don't know when this device will get an official unveiling, pricing or what markets it is even intended to be released to.

Red version

Old
05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I am enjoying both honestly but I do as sad as it is to say miss the screen size when using the Q10. Looks like my daughter is going to be getting my Q. I am going to keep the Z for myself. I got the Q for 49 through Rogers after Bell called me and tried to get me to switch and offered me new Q and Z10s for 0 dollars on the changeover. I called Rogers and they offered me Z10s at 29 and Q10s at 49 so I got the Q for 49 and have been playing with it for a few days. I love the dark theme on the Q and the much longer battery life almost 2 days on a charge at this point.
I've been using my wife's Q10 and I'm really torn as to if I like it better than my Z10. There are Pro's & Cons to both but that Q10 Physical Keyboard is So Good...

Old
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I've been using my wife's Q10 and I'm really torn as to if I like it better than my Z10. There are Pro's & Cons to both but that Q10 Physical Keyboard is So Good...
Well even my daughter who is a staunch keyboard supporter decided to go with the Z10 so we swapped out the Q I gave her. We both have Z10s now. Funnier still is after a week at school with her Z10 5 of her friends with iPhone 4-5's have all switched to Z10s they fell in love with the camera and they loved the keyboard of the Z10.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Well even my daughter who is a staunch keyboard supporter decided to go with the Z10 so we swapped out the Q I gave her. We both have Z10s now. Funnier still is after a week at school with her Z10 5 of her friends with iPhone 4-5's have all switched to Z10s they fell in love with the camera and they loved the keyboard of the Z10.
That's interesting because the latest information that I read is that the Q10 is outselling the Z10 3-1 and the Z10 has been selling well.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
That's interesting because the latest information that I read is that the Q10 is outselling the Z10 3-1 and the Z10 has been selling well.
I am sure the corporate clients are making that an even wider than 3-1 margin. These are all highschool kids and my 11 year old has one now also.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

C'mon Neely, you're slacking off it's BB World going on right now! Where is the news.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Coldplay
Courage

BBM coming to iOS. Try and spin that as a positive.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Yeah, didn't say that should happen?

I think I did.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Smelling Salt

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
BBM on iOS is interesting, but only if it can be integrated properly. Like into my contacts so I don't have to launch a separate app just to BBM someone. Since it's gonna be a separate app, I'm not really interested. I think I'm down to only one friend having a BB, but I was pretty high on this idea two or three years ago.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Yeah, didn't say that should happen?

I think I did.
Sure, but I don't think it's a good sign at all for the platform moving forward. A supposed major, "killer" feature is now no longer exclusive to their hardware.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
29dryden29

Actually it is a great move. It integrated BB into every device on every platform. It also kills off iMessage and Whatsapp etc. They are working to position BBM as a new social media platform with BBM Channels etc coming along. and BBM voice and video etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/14/b...-bbm-channels/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...-bbm-channels/

Last edited by 29dryden29: 05-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Who knows but all they need is a small area on the screen for adverts and bam revenue from devices that aren't BlackBerries that allows cross-platform chat.

What's more important? Having the most used chat service in the world across all devices? Or having a very popular chat service on one device?

I know if I was BlackBerry I would want to try to pull something like that off. Even if I had to pay Apple and Android to get the program on their service.

But I'm just a 2nd year accounting major with no actual business experience so I don't know **** lol.

When I think of the most popular messaging service right now I think... SMS? Few people I know use Whatsap, MSN is dead, I don't know enough people that use Yahoo Messaging and Skype is a mess on my Android phone. So much that I can't rely on it for messaging. Facebook messenger? I'm not on Facebook so I don't want to even to pretend to know how it works.

But everyone that has ever had or used a BlackBerry device has loved BBM. BBM is a fantastic service and I would bet that other users would love the opportunity to use it.
This is what I said a couple months ago.

Obviously my idea was a very rough one but I stand by it.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Looks like the Q5 could be important in the grand scheme of things.

Low-cost market expected to grow
Analysts responded with cautious optimism to the move.

"The Q5 could be a very significant device for the company, as there is a significant opportunity for high-quality, low-cost smartphones," said Adam Leach, principal device and platforms analyst at Ovum.

Leach notes that emerging markets made up only 17 per cent of global smartphone shipments in 2011, but that figure is expected to jump to 40 per cent by 2017.

"The crucial aspect of the Q5 launch will be its price and if Blackberry can address the sub-$100 smartphone opportunity," Leach said.

BlackBerry did not announce pricing information at the unveiling on Tuesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...lackberry.html

Old
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
C'mon Neely, you're slacking off it's BB World going on right now! Where is the news.
Sorry I was a little preoccupied with the Bruins.

BlackBerry 10.1 OS upgrade is available Now for the BlackBerry Z10.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
It's coming to Android too.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea since it seems like it will be a free App.

I think it would make more sense if it was a paid App.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Gobias Industries

Maybe it's just my social circle, but I can't imagine BBM gaining traction to become THE centralized messaging service.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Maybe it's just my social circle, but I can't imagine BBM gaining traction to become THE centralized messaging service.
They aren't aiming for that think much much bigger. They are looking at becoming a social network megaladon. THink Twitter and FB this is a truly ingenius plan open up a platform specific app to all platforms and start from there. BB Channels are just going to be a start then video think youtube and pics think instagram photobucket flixter etc. This is a brilliant idea.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/blackbe...ve-15-05-2013/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...d-celebrities/

Old
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM
29dryden29

Some updates coming for OS update 10.2 beta will start running in June push to devices should start in Aug.

Few features of BB OS 10.2 coming for BB Z10.

Headless apps

Headless apps will be able to run in the background or be triggered instead of showing up and running as a pane.

USB Host Capability

This should allow you to connect usb sticks to BlackBerry devices and transfer files.

WiFi Direct and Miracast

This will allow Wi-Fi connectivity directly between devices instead of going through a router. This will essentially act like Bluetooth, but use the Wi-Fi radio for faster transfer speeds. Miracast will use Wi-Fi Direct for high bandwidth transmission of video to an external display.

Flurry Analytics

BlackBerry will support the analytics solution called Flurry which can help developers understand their customers better and create better apps via analytics solutions.

Smart cards

Smart card support will allow BlackBerry 10 devices to act as access cards to physical buildings/rooms via NFC.

Altimeter

The altimeter would allow developers to make apps that can use altitude information. This is either access to an existing barometer in the Z10, or simply a way to obtain altitude information from a GPS location.

Geofencing

Geofencing on BlackBerry smartphones will allow developers the ability to create apps which work or respond depending on a precise area you’re in. This can be useful for securing smartphones for business within a complex, or an application for notifying whether your child leaves a certain virtual area.

Android Jelly Bean Support

Along with OS 10.2, BlackBerry should be rolling out support for Android Jelly Bean Apps. This should bring in many new high-quality Android apps that are designed for the latest Android smartphones

Old
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Sorry I was a little preoccupied with the Bruins.

BlackBerry 10.1 OS upgrade is available Now for the BlackBerry Z10.

I downloaded BlackBerry 10.1 last night and there are definitely some nice improvements.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Some updates coming for OS update 10.2 beta will start running in June push to devices should start in Aug.

Few features of BB OS 10.2 coming for BB Z10.

Headless apps

Headless apps will be able to run in the background or be triggered instead of showing up and running as a pane.

USB Host Capability

This should allow you to connect usb sticks to BlackBerry devices and transfer files.

WiFi Direct and Miracast

This will allow Wi-Fi connectivity directly between devices instead of going through a router. This will essentially act like Bluetooth, but use the Wi-Fi radio for faster transfer speeds. Miracast will use Wi-Fi Direct for high bandwidth transmission of video to an external display.

Flurry Analytics

BlackBerry will support the analytics solution called Flurry which can help developers understand their customers better and create better apps via analytics solutions.

Smart cards

Smart card support will allow BlackBerry 10 devices to act as access cards to physical buildings/rooms via NFC.

Altimeter

The altimeter would allow developers to make apps that can use altitude information. This is either access to an existing barometer in the Z10, or simply a way to obtain altitude information from a GPS location.

Geofencing

Geofencing on BlackBerry smartphones will allow developers the ability to create apps which work or respond depending on a precise area you’re in. This can be useful for securing smartphones for business within a complex, or an application for notifying whether your child leaves a certain virtual area.

Android Jelly Bean Support

Along with OS 10.2, BlackBerry should be rolling out support for Android Jelly Bean Apps. This should bring in many new high-quality Android apps that are designed for the latest Android smartphones
Sounds good, I'm glad that they seem to be pushing out these updates pretty quickly.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:10 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Sounds good, I'm glad that they seem to be pushing out these updates pretty quickly.
Ya and they are actually taking customer feedback and doing something with it unlike crapple.

Closed Thread