HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official BlackBerry Thread | Part 2 | BlackBerry Q10 & Z10 Available Now

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So let me get this straight, you don't want RIM to fail yet you're constantly saying negative things about RIM/BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Threads?

If you don't like BlackBerry Smartphones why do you even bother to post in the BlackBerry Smartphone Threads?

I'm not sure why me posting about RIM/BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Thread is so upsetting to you? It's not like I'm posting about BlackBerry in the Android/iPhone Threads.

But it is pretty sweet that you guys care about my opinions so much.
It's not upsetting it's just crazy to watch someone in complete denial of a companies failure.

You only post the good articles. We only post the bad articles.

You're MSNBC and we're FOXnews.

If someone who had no idea what was going on with RIM popped into this thread and only saw your posts they'd think that RIM was bigger, better and more powerful than any other tech companies.

And vice versa they'd think that RIM was killing puppies and bathing in their blood.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
It's not upsetting it's just crazy to watch someone in complete denial of a companies failure.

You only post the good articles. We only post the bad articles.

You're MSNBC and we're FOXnews.

If someone who had no idea what was going on with RIM popped into this thread and only saw your posts they'd think that RIM was bigger, better and more powerful than any other tech companies.

And vice versa they'd think that RIM was killing puppies and bathing in their blood.
So you're upset that I post positive articles about BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Thread? Really? That's your reasoning?

Who's in denial I've said many times that things are bad for RIM, however I've also said that they're not as bad as the media is making them out to be. I then post facts to back up this opinion, which is a lot more than most of the people who come into the BlackBerry Thread to post negative things about BlackBerry.

If I were to go into the Android & iPhone Threads and start posting negative things about Android & iPhone I'd be attacked and probably infracted. However for some reason it's okay to do just that about BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Thread.

The last time I checked this was the BlackBerry thread where Fans & Users of BlackBerry discussed BlackBerry Smartphones.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

RIM's secret weapon? 80M 'very loyal' customers

RIM's secret weapon? 80M 'very loyal' customers:

"In an interview with CNET, Research In Motion CEO Thorsten Heins confirms that two BlackBerry 10 phones are in the works, explains why a delayed first-quarter launch is actually a good thing, and talks up the BlackBerry fan base.

t's funny how a company with nearly 80 million subscribers can be considered to be in a death spiral."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...yal-customers/

Old
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
So you're upset that I post positive articles about BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Thread? Really? That's your reasoning?

Who's in denial I've said many times that things are bad for RIM, however I've also said that they're not as bad as the media is making them out to be. I then post facts to back up this opinion, which is a lot more than most of the people who come into the BlackBerry Thread to post negative things about BlackBerry.

If I were to go into the Android & iPhone Threads and start posting negative things about Android & iPhone I'd be attacked and probably infracted. However for some reason it's okay to do just that about BlackBerry in the BlackBerry Thread.

The last time I checked this was the BlackBerry thread where Fans & Users of BlackBerry discussed BlackBerry Smartphones.
Whoa, whoa hold on here. I never said it was good reasoning...

If you think our posts are out of line you're welcome to report them. But when something bad or ****** happens to Android Sined is one of the first to post the article. You don't. That's a fact.

I don't think it matters if it's positive or negative as long as they're facts.

No one is telling you to stop posting and you're not telling us to stop posting. We're having a discussion. Just because neither party is willing to listen doesn't mean we're not.

What you and I determine to be factual however can be construed as attacks and or ignorance.

Plus, when you argue/discuss you sound like a robot. I hate arguing with robots cause they usually win.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I am sorry but ''good Canadian people'' losing their jobs is because of morons at the top. Blackberry have never been innovative EVER. Their phones have a gameboy software and crappy apps. I guess, however, the OMG PHYSICAL KEYBOARD is worth having a fisher price software.
You are just showing your ignorance. To say BB has never been innovative and have a gameboy software and crappy apps is hilarious. Yes they have fallen behind to a certain extent and I am the first to admit it but they have been innovative in the past and I hope BB10 shows some great innovation but only time will tell on that one.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I am sorry but ''good Canadian people'' losing their jobs is because of morons at the top. Blackberry have never been innovative EVER. Their phones have a gameboy software and crappy apps. I guess, however, the OMG PHYSICAL KEYBOARD is worth having a fisher price software.
So you don't consider inventing the Smartphone innovative?

Old
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Whoa, whoa hold on here. I never said it was good reasoning...

If you think our posts are out of line you're welcome to report them. But when something bad or ****** happens to Android Sined is one of the first to post the article. You don't. That's a fact.

I don't think it matters if it's positive or negative as long as they're facts.

No one is telling you to stop posting and you're not telling us to stop posting. We're having a discussion. Just because neither party is willing to listen doesn't mean we're not.

What you and I determine to be factual however can be construed as attacks and or ignorance.

Plus, when you argue/discuss you sound like a robot. I hate arguing with robots cause they usually win.
I don't see the need to post negative or unfactual articles because the Media already has that more than covered.

Well if I seem like a robot it's because I don't see the point in getting emotional over a piece of technology, even one that I like. I simply give my opinion and present the facts to substantiate said opinion.

P.S. Robots are cool.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
So you don't consider inventing the Smartphone innovative?
Are you sure about that?

There was the IBM Simon, circa 1994, and I remember MS and Palm having phone/PDA's in the early 2000's, as did Nokia.

However, if you're assuming being popular as equaling innovative, then you might as well say Apple invented touchscreen smart phones, because they made them commonplace, even though they built it with the technology of off others.

Or that they invented the centralized program storefront, because they made the app store popular, and everyone followed with an MS Marketplace, a BB App World, a Google Play Store, even a lot of Linux distros have had similar centralized approaches to downloading software, it just wasn't a marketing phenomenon.

As far as giving RIM a hard time, I have nothing against them, but they seem like Palm 2.0, and I don't see how they are not going to avoid the same fate. Hubris, poor management, poor advertising, rushed tablet launches, with halfbaked OS'. The lack of apps is basically why I almost never boot into webOS on my TP, and use CM9; a low price and web browser only keep me satisfied for so long.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Are you sure about that?

There was the IBM Simon, circa 1994, and I remember MS and Palm having phone/PDA's in the early 2000's, as did Nokia.

However, if you're assuming being popular as equaling innovative, then you might as well say Apple invented touchscreen smart phones, because they made them commonplace, even though they built it with the technology of off others.

Or that they invented the centralized program storefront, because they made the app store popular, and everyone followed with an MS Marketplace, a BB App World, a Google Play Store, even a lot of Linux distros have had similar centralized approaches to downloading software, it just wasn't a marketing phenomenon.

As far as giving RIM a hard time, I have nothing against them, but they seem like Palm 2.0, and I don't see how they are not going to avoid the same fate. Hubris, poor management, poor advertising, rushed tablet launches, with halfbaked OS'. The lack of apps is basically why I almost never boot into webOS on my TP, and use CM9; a low price and web browser only keep me satisfied for so long.
It depends on your definition of a Snartphone. BlackBerry was the first Smartphone with Email.

I have commented on the Palm comparison earlier in the thread as someone else already made it.

RIM has 0 Debt.
RIM has 2.2 Billion in Cash.
RIM has 80 Million Current users.
RIM gets Monthly Fees (via the Carriers) from all of those 80 Million users.
RIM is a Hardware Manufacturer & a Network Provider.

So there are some pretty big differences between RIM and Palm.

Last edited by Neely2005: 07-13-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
07-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Coldplay
Courage

@JonnyLaRue

You're arguing that we should all be rooting for RIM to succeed because regular people will lose their jobs and that's bad for Waterloo. I say that's a lame argument (wherein you're arguing that RIM needs to be cheerleader'd on because jobs are on the line) because why exactly should anybody here feel sorry/feel the need to hope a company succeeds when for so long they did absolutely nothing at all to improve their situation? If I was a BlackBerry user/fanatic/Neely2005 I'd feel betrayed, more than anything, for being loyal to a company for so many years and have them blatantly not care enough about their customers to improve their product when it so obviously needed improving (and improving is putting it lightly). They were content with the money. No one's infallible. RIM has acted like they are.

Laughing at legitimate competition which will end up killing their business (like iPhone and Android) takes a certain kind of delusional arrogance, piled onto the fact Lazaridis and Balsillie constantly denied that something had to be done, that the status quo was okay.

So, I feel no remorse for the people losing their jobs because while Lazaridis and Balsillie bathed in their millions, their empire crumbled and they scoffed at anyone who tried to suggest otherwise. And now Heins is around trying to change things up. Except it's too late.

These people will easily find jobs elsewhere, yes, beowulf. Developers and hardware engineers are in very high demand today. I also have nothing personal against RIM like you suggested. I just can't sympathize with them at all after years of the patented and unjustified "we're #1 and **** everyone else" attitude. A shame, too, because they're the last former-great Canadian tech company that's about to bite the dust. We won't have much (not that we've had an abundance of it already) in tech when they're gone.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
@JonnyLaRue

You're arguing that we should all be rooting for RIM to succeed because regular people will lose their jobs and that's bad for Waterloo. I say that's a lame argument (wherein you're arguing that RIM needs to be cheerleader'd on because jobs are on the line) because why exactly should anybody here feel sorry/feel the need to hope a company succeeds when for so long they did absolutely nothing at all to improve their situation? If I was a BlackBerry user/fanatic/Neely2005 I'd feel betrayed, more than anything, for being loyal to a company for so many years and have them blatantly not care enough about their customers to improve their product when it so obviously needed improving (and improving is putting it lightly). They were content with the money. No one's infallible. RIM has acted like they are.

Laughing at legitimate competition which will end up killing their business (like iPhone and Android) takes a certain kind of delusional arrogance, piled onto the fact Lazaridis and Balsillie constantly denied that something had to be done, that the status quo was okay.

So, I feel no remorse for the people losing their jobs because while Lazaridis and Balsillie bathed in their millions, their empire crumbled and they scoffed at anyone who tried to suggest otherwise. And now Heins is around trying to change things up. Except it's too late.

These people will easily find jobs elsewhere, yes, beowulf. Developers and hardware engineers are in very high demand today. I also have nothing personal against RIM like you suggested. I just can't sympathize with them at all after years of the patented and unjustified "we're #1 and **** everyone else" attitude. A shame, too, because they're the last former-great Canadian tech company that's about to bite the dust. We won't have much (not that we've had an abundance of it already) in tech when they're gone.
Just to clarify I've only been a BlackBerry user since 2010 and my Bold 9700 still meets All of my needs in a Smartphone.

You are correct, from what what I've heard most of the developers & engineers have already been offered other jobs. Unfortunately those jobs are in the USA. It's a sad situation kind of like Avro with the Arrow and the brain drain to NASA.

The non-engineers/developers are having a harder time finding work.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

BlackBerry 10 full touchscreen & physical keyboard models to be announced together

Confirmed: BlackBerry 10 full touchscreen and physical keyboard models will be announced and marketed together:

BlackBerry 10 Phones to launch in January/February 2013

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-blac...keted-together

Old
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
guinness
those were the days

A two horse race: Devs interested in Android and iOS, not much else

Developer interest in BB10 falls 17 percent, lags behind iOS, Android, and Windows Phone

Quote:
A survey has found that developer enthusiasm for RIM's new OS, BB10, has plummeted from 4.6 points out of 10 just three months ago down to 3.8 — a 17 percent decrease. According to the survey, which looked at developers' long-term outlook for mobile development platforms, the community feels similarly enthusiastic about BB10 and Adobe Flash / Air. RIM's current OS, BlackBerry 7, was less popular than Adobe Flash and only slightly more favorable than Samsung's Bada platform and the open-source webOS.
Quote:
It wasn't only BlackBerry that suffered — interest in Windows Phone 7 also fell significantly in the period, down from 5 to 4.2 points — a 15 percent drop — but given Microsoft is gearing up to release Windows Phone 8, that's hardly surprising. Android and iOS remain strong at 8.7 and 9.3 points respectively, while the enthusiasm for the all-encompassing "Windows 8" mobile platform fared reasonably well at 6.3 out of 10. 71 percent of developers told Baird that the announcement of Windows Phone 8 had increased their interest in Microsoft's mobile platform.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/13/31...falling-survey

Old
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Developer interest in BB10 falls 17 percent, lags behind iOS, Android, and Windows Phone

Fortunately RIM has developed a Tool that let's developers easily port their Android Apps into BlackBerry 10 Apps.

That should help to alleviate the lack of Apps for BlackBerry 10.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

RIM Responds

Quote:

RIM Responds:

Bleeding Developers? Far from it.

"In the past year our BlackBerry App World ™ vendor base has grown 157 percent. We have developers submitting amazing apps for BlackBerry® PlayBook™ users. In fact, the BlackBerry PlayBook app catalog has grown by more than 15,000 apps since January 1 of this year. We just announced that more than three billion applications have been downloaded from BlackBerry App World since launch.

But much more importantly, the BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour we are currently hosting in 23 cities across the globe has seen over capacity registration in almost every city, including New York, Santa Clara, Toronto, Jakarta, Singapore, Delhi, and Montreal. We have already spoken to almost 5,000 developers and the feedback has been phenomenal (don’t take my word for it, search Twitter for the hashtag #bb10jam)."

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...s-far-from-it/

Old
07-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
@JonnyLaRue

You keep saying I am making a lame argument. What argument am I making?

Old
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
You keep saying I am making a lame argument. What argument am I making?
I think he seems to be saying wanting the company to do well to save peoples job is not a good reason for wanting them to do well....

Old
07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Holy crap, how many times do I have to say it?

You are arguing (hence making an ARGUMENT) that we should all be rooting for RIM to succeed because people's jobs will be lost. It is my opinion that this is a lame argument, for reasons I've stated.

Really not sure where the difficulty in that lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I think he seems to be saying wanting the company to do well to save peoples job is not a good reason for wanting them to do well....
Thank you.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I got my first BlackBerry in July 2009 which was a Tour 9630 and since then I got a Bold 9780 in Februrary 2011 which I still have today. However I found out that in February 2013 I can uprade early with Bell and I decided that I want to get an iPhone 4S. I have nothing against RIM and etc and hope they can fix the problems they are having. However my main reason for wanting to switch is the lack of apps BlackBerry has, because there are some ones on the iPhone that I would like to have.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I got my first BlackBerry in July 2009 which was a Tour 9630 and since then I got a Bold 9780 in Februrary 2011 which I still have today. However I found out that in February 2013 I can uprade early with Bell and I decided that I want to get an iPhone 4S. I have nothing against RIM and etc and hope they can fix the problems they are having. However my main reason for wanting to switch is the lack of apps BlackBerry has, because there are some ones on the iPhone that I would like to have.
4S or 5? The 5 should be out by then... if it's not there's zero reason to get an Iphone. 4S is drastically overpriced right now. As reference, Galaxy S3 just came out and smashes the 4S in pretty much every category.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:32 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
4S or 5? The 5 should be out by then... if it's not there's zero reason to get an Iphone. 4S is drastically overpriced right now. As reference, Galaxy S3 just came out and smashes the 4S in pretty much every category.
Honestly, most Android phones smash Apple on specs, but specs aren't the only aspect that people consider. Also, you're comparing a phone that come out last October to one that has been out for a couple weeks. Even then, people have to consider Android vs iOS, the ecosystem, cameras, etc.

However, the 4S price would probably drop to $99 next year, or whenever the 5 is released.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Holy crap, how many times do I have to say it?

You are arguing (hence making an ARGUMENT) that we should all be rooting for RIM to succeed because people's jobs will be lost. It is my opinion that this is a lame argument, for reasons I've stated.

Really not sure where the difficulty in that lies.

Thank you.
Quote:
ar·gu·ment   [ahr-gyuh-muhnt] Show IPA
noun
an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.
an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
In which sense was I making an argument? I wrote that many people posting in this thread were rooting for RIM to fail. That is not an argument, it's an observation.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
jaems

Quote:
Honestly, most Android phones smash Apple on specs, but specs aren't the only aspect that people consider. Also, you're comparing a phone that come out last October to one that has been out for a couple weeks. Even then, people have to consider Android vs iOS, the ecosystem, cameras, etc.
Indeed. Living in Silicon Valley, most startups devs use iPhones and thus, develop for the iPhone first (e.g. Instagram). There's also more designers who have one and thus have a better understanding of how to design for that ecosystem. Specs are just one part of the equation.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:06 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

So has this become an iPhone vs Android thread?

Old
07-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
So has this become an iPhone vs Android thread?
Until we see an actual BB10 phone, it may as well be. We could talk about the bad breaks the Whitecaps are getting tonight instead.

Closed Thread