HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
This makes sense now: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1149141&page=9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs
Interesting tidbit from a College hockey blog http://sbn.to/Hnu8Me

Quote:
I think the most interesting player to keep an eye on might be North Dakota recruit Nick Schmaltz. The Windsor Spitfires already hold the rights to his older brother Jordan, and have expressed a strong interest in signing him. Both Schmaltzes have seemed pretty committed to making it to North Dakota, but Windsor might view the opportunity for the brothers to play together as a selling point. After a down year, the Spitfires are looking to reload, and already seem likely to steal at least one NCAA-committed NHL Draft pick this summer. Schmaltz might be worth the risk, especially if he can be picked in a later round.
This kind of confused me. Is he referring to Jordan Schmaltz or another player? Is it referring to a guy who is already drafted or one that will be drafted?
The Campbell deal just got so much better!

Old
05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
OHLTG

This is the Twitter feed I just saw:

Kevin C ‏@1RangerFan

USNTDPdman Pat Sieloff breaks his commitment to Miami-Ohio & joins Windsor Spits,Sieloff was aquired from Soo as part of Jack Campbell trade.

WOW!!

Old
05-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Ottomatic

Sieloff-Ebert would make a solid top pairing.

Posa-Bateman in the #2

Sanvido-Braithwaite in the 3rd pairing.

Bowen and Brown make up the depth.

Move Devlin

Old
05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

That's good news. This will be a huge test for the coaching staff as well to see if they can develop Seiloff the last 2 years the D hasn't really developed well. Braithwaite or Devlin can go now.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:54 PM
OHLTG

pat sieloff ‏@PatSieloff

Excited to play in the @OHLHockey next year for the @GO_SPITS_GO #Windsor

Old
05-27-2012, 08:04 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Great news for the Spits! Now on the Schmaltz brothers...

Old
05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Sec108

Anyone believe the officiating in this 2nd period.Does the Hunters own the ref's too.Pathetic

Old
05-27-2012, 09:38 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Great news for the Spits! Now on the Schmaltz brothers...
Here are a few quotes from the scouts. Of course you have to take everything with a grain of salt...
A Few Comments from scouting reports follow. BLUECHIP -
Patrick Sieloff is a VERY good prospect.
He’s a mean, physical, defensive defenseman who
might lack in size (6’0" 194lbs),
but he makes up for
that with his penchant for kicking babies and
eating broken glass. He finishes every check,
stands up for his teammates,
and punishes his opponents with a zeal
that is both exciting and scary.
Imagine if Zack Kassian were a defenseman,
had an IQ in triple digits and was having a really bad day.
That’s Sieloff every day.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Sec108

Maybe he can teach Ebert something.Our D lacked all of that in spades last season.Welcome to Windsor Patrick!!!! You play like your scouting report and the fans in Windsor will idolize you,lol.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:03 PM
spitz fan 4ever

good try london

Old
05-27-2012, 11:07 PM
jughead42*

It was a superb game, and a real heartbreaker for the Knights. The shots of Dale up in the stands immediately after the winner was scored were priceless. Those green tears are so yummy! Of course they'll come back hungry next season, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Nice work Shawinigan! You're the host with the most.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Ottomatic

I must be going soft as I was pulling for the Knights come the end. A little bit.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This is the Twitter feed I just saw:

Kevin C ‏@1RangerFan

USNTDPdman Pat Sieloff breaks his commitment to Miami-Ohio & joins Windsor Spits,Sieloff was aquired from Soo as part of Jack Campbell trade.

WOW!!
Now if we can just get Riley Barber to de-commit from Miami-Ohio Redhawks
we'll have won the Daily Double.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Now if we can just get Riley Barber to de-commit from Miami-Ohio Redhawks
we'll have won the Daily Double.
Unlikely. Sieloff could be a late first round NHL pick, Barber will be a mid to late round pick. First couple rounds I'd say go the CHL route, but after that I'd be hard pressed to advise a kid to not go the school route.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:05 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I must be going soft as I was pulling for the Knights come the end. A little bit.
Agreed I kept watching and saying "this Shawinigan team was eliminated in round 2 of their playoffs and they can win the Memorial Cup?" They weren't even close to winning their own league and they win a Memorial Cup. They will only raise one banner next year still never won a Q championship.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Windsor Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Agreed I kept watching and saying "this Shawinigan team was eliminated in round 2 of their playoffs and they can win the Memorial Cup?" They weren't even close to winning their own league and they win a Memorial Cup. They will only raise one banner next year still never won a Q championship.
Cannot help to think that I would prefer to win a Memorial Cup than a league championship

Old
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
Cannot help to think that I would prefer to win a Memorial Cup than a league championship
Give me a league championship over a Memorial Cup every day of the week. You win your league you went through 4 best of 7 series over a tough 6-7 week stretch. You win a Memorial Cup over a 9 day stretch.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
OHLTG

People need to stop acting like this is some brutal Shawinigan team who didn't do anything to earn the Cup. They lost in game seven in OT to a very good Chicoutimi team, who ended up just losing out to Saint John in the third round. Then, Shawinigan goes in and beat all three league champions, in four days, to take the title. They've earned this. People may not like this "backdoor" stuff, but they were no slouch.

I don't buy the argument that the Memorial Cup is a shorter tournament, so it's not as valuable as the OHL title. You're not necessarily facing a great set of opponents in the league run. When you get to the Cup, just about every team is going to be dominant (Shawinigan had 45 or something wins).

Old
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
dereksutton9

The way the Knights lost only puts a bow on the gift that will keep on giving for a Spits fan. The tears from London's failure are as sweet as any chocolate even Beyonce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This begs the question of whether it's more important matter for the Spits to have a deep run this coming year or look loaded on paper for 2014. Substance or perception? Actual vs. prospects?

The format of the Memorial Cup essentially means that it is more important to be the best playing team in the tournament as opposed to the best team playing in the tournament. The one game knockout almost makes luck one of the biggest factors in winning the Cup.

It's not a fair tournament by any means but it's certainly not alone in non-title winning teams being able to win the big prize. All NCAA championships fit the format include the two most noteworthy in the BCS and March Madness.

Note that the Windsor Star and the Spitfires Twitter page are confirming Seiloff as well.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Lo...860/story.html

Old
05-28-2012, 01:38 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Rychel - Ho-Sang - Marchese
Johnson - Vail - Maletta
Verbeek - Clarke - Czinder
Smith - Studnicka - Bilcke
Alonge

Sieloff - Ebert
Posa - Bateman
Sanvido - Devlin
Brown - Bowen
Braithwaite

Pavelka
DeKort
Kuchmey

At this point is this what the roster looks like?

Can we count Koko out for the season? If he is here do we consider it to just be a bonus?

Old
05-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Aside with Sieloff’s goal to play in the NHL, Sieloff wants to be a part of the team’s major festivities in 2014.

“With [Windsor hosting] the Memorial Cup, I’d love a shot at winning the tournament.” Sieloff said.

Looking ahead, Sieloff could just a major piece in making that happen around this time two years from now.
Now while I feel we're a lock to host assuming we put a good enough team on the ice - did Rychel tell Patrick we already have it? Does WR have assurances from Branch?

http://futureconsiderations.ca/sielo...ins-spitfires/

Old
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post
Rychel - Ho-Sang - Marchese
Johnson - Vail - Maletta
Verbeek - Clarke - Czinder
Smith - Studnicka - Bilcke
Alonge

Sieloff - Ebert
Posa - Bateman
Sanvido - Devlin
Brown - Bowen
Braithwaite

Pavelka
DeKort
Kuchmey

At this point is this what the roster looks like?

Can we count Koko out for the season? If he is here do we consider it to just be a bonus?
If I had to guess right now I'd say Boston will sign Khokhlachev to a contract simply because they don't want him to get used to playing in Russia and making more money they they could offer him to come over later as he'd be locked into the rookie contract system.

As to your roster I'd probably have Jack Billings on there somewhere. I think Verbeek and Smith play down a level to start out a least.

Also we'll have an import forward added somewhere. Pavelka could come back if Koko bails, but if Koko comes back than Pav is likely a goner with us bringing in another import scorer.

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Import
Johnson|Vail|Ho-Sang
Marchese|Clarke|Maletta
Bilcke/Alonge|Studnicka|Billings

Ebert-Sieloff
Bateman-Posa
Sanvido-Braithwaite
Brown-Bowen

OA Goalie
DeKort
Kuchemy

Old
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Now while I feel we're a lock to host assuming we put a good enough team on the ice - did Rychel tell Patrick we already have it? Does WR have assurances from Branch?
It just may work against the Spitfires since Branch doesn't want it known that anything is preordained!
I still think the Memorial Cup will be going to a team in the East.....Barrie, Oshawa or Kingston.
Also didn't Branch a cpl years was pushing hard for Saginaw to make a bid? (yes...I know all the issues with a American based team hosting)

Old
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
It just may work against the Spitfires since Branch doesn't want it known that anything is preordained!
I still think the Memorial Cup will be going to a team in the East.....Barrie, Oshawa or Kingston.
Also didn't Branch a cpl years was pushing hard for Saginaw to make a bid? (yes...I know all the issues with a American based team hosting)
The issue becomes icing a legit contender team. Saginaw will not have one in 2014 given their graduates after this season. I don't think the Gennies are built to peak in 2014 either. It would probably be a year or two too early for Kingston as it would be a team of 17 yr olds in 2014.

Knights could have been stiff competition, but given they just hosted it recently I don't think they're really in it.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
When stuff is put in brackets like that...it's not something that the player said. It was assumed by the reporter. I think that statement was presented poorly.

Closed Thread