HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 05:19 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Combine Top 10's results. Ben Johnson and Patrick Sieloff placed in a few categories each. Brady Vail never cracked a top 10.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=80653
Spit Draftee Jordan Schmatz placed 6th in the fatigue index.
Spit Draftee Phil Di Giuseppe placed 5th in bench press # of reps.
Spit Draftee Phil Di Giuseppe placed 7th in bench press.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
jughead42

I think it's cool that Seiloff is in top physical shape, it sounds like he'll need to be in order to play the style of game he's expected to play. I can't wait to see him on the ice.

That being said, these fitness combines need to be taken with a grain of salt. Guys who do well are more physically mature now, and that's about all it tells us. It still matters a bit for for us because these players are playing for us now, fully developed or not. But for the NHL teams, they are looking to the future and there's still so much time for all of these guys to grow man bodies. Wilson is probably one of those guys who's been shaving since the 3rd grade. I went to school with a dude like that. When I met him again later in life he was the same size but everyone else was bigger than him. No kidding, the guy got a shaving kit for his 10th birthday.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:50 PM
scokan

Quote:
That I get given they're not in competition vs the Spits come the season. Also it shows the current Spits what it takes and how the pro's work out etc. I don't know why we'd help Brassard out given we'll play him a couple times during the season. Hopefully we'd draw the line at western conference players.
what difference does it make who garland trains. Brassard's career doesnt end in junior hockey, Garland is helping him train to further his career.
isnt gary roberts on the stars payroll? and look how many different players he trains..

Old
06-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Windsor Chief

Look at it from a recruiting standpoint otto- you get drafted and one of the top trainers to help you make the nhl is working with the Spitfires - do you report ?
Its just another little positive for the team.
The more highend names involved the better for Windsor, and ultimately the product on the ice is what will be most important within the ohl.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
Look at it from a recruiting standpoint otto- you get drafted and one of the top trainers to help you make the nhl is working with the Spitfires - do you report ?
Its just another little positive for the team.
The more highend names involved the better for Windsor, and ultimately the product on the ice is what will be most important within the ohl.
He is an independant contractor. Unless there is something in the language of his contract that suggests he can only train Spitfires (it would be much more costly to the Spits), he has the freedom to do whatever he wants. Players from different teams always train together, its extremely common.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He is an independant contractor. Unless there is something in the language of his contract that suggests he can only train Spitfires (it would be much more costly to the Spits), he has the freedom to do whatever he wants. Players from different teams always train together, its extremely common.
Maybe he can only train Spitfire players during the Season and runs his own Fitness camp in the Summer to help different players from different levels. I think if he keeps building a reputation as a good Trainer who helps players get to the next level of hockey it will help kids who are on the bubble about comming to the Organization.

I believe the Spitfires have Yoga classes during the season but i wonder if they may make it part of the off season training because it really helps out the body

Old
06-04-2012, 12:01 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
I say no to both of them if that's the case. Jordan would be a one and done I believe, and Nick only wants to come over for the exposure we'd offer and not because he actually gives a damn about the memorial cup or the team. He'd be here to put himself first to play for the scouts.
This. I want kids on the Spits who want to be on the SPITS, not who want to be on a team that's going to get exposure. The whole motto last year was "proud to be." That's not proud to be on a Cup team.

Quote:
I don't know why we'd help Brassard out given we'll play him a couple times during the season. Hopefully we'd draw the line at western conference players.
A few years ago (4-5?), I spent much of the summer working with a buddy who was doing work for former Spits' trainer Rob Maggio. You get players from all levels, leagues, and abilities working with these guys. Besides, unless Brassard outmuscles our d-men in OT of game 7 to beat us for the OHL title, I really don't care how big, mean, and tough he gets. Good for him. He's not our issue.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Yeah.....Mark Scheiffle and Tanner Pearson (former Ranger stick-boy) during the summer actually uses the Kitchener Rangers facilities.
A lot of the players from various OHL teams trains and remains friends with their ex-teammates from their youth. They can totally seperate
their competitive nature during the offseason.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 06-04-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This. I want kids on the Spits who want to be on the SPITS, not who want to be on a team that's going to get exposure. The whole motto last year was "proud to be." That's not proud to be on a Cup team.

You're right, we should never have let Cam Fowler or Kenny Ryan on the team, because they were only playing for themselves. Same with Sieloff this year, no thanks. If we draft players who don't want to play for the Spits when they are 16, then they should not be able to later on.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

A few years ago (4-5?), I spent much of the summer working with a buddy who was doing work for former Spits' trainer Rob Maggio. You get players from all levels, leagues, and abilities working with these guys. Besides, unless Brassard outmuscles our d-men in OT of game 7 to beat us for the OHL title, I really don't care how big, mean, and tough he gets. Good for him. He's not our issue.
This whole "I want kids on the Spits who want to be on the Spits" is really over blown. It's a hustle now players are using teams to increase their visibility and possible draft status and teams are using them for their current talent to elevate the success of the team. Franchises use players, players use the franchise. I want more kids from Ontario but I don't begrudge guys like Ryan, Fowler, Ebert, Vail, Johnson and now Sieloff. It is what it is. Schmaltz would be nice but still view either as a pipe dream Jordan never visited Windsor and until Nick actually wants to visit I am not holding out hope.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
spits2timechamps

It’s a sad truth but when it comes down to it the Spitfire franchise is a business. They are the stepping stone to the greater pasture for aspiring hockey players, educational or coaching opportunities. When it comes to the team the managements job is to make money and best way to do that is put the best product on the ice no matter if the players truly want to play for the team or not. The team and players use each other for their goals and aspirations and that is a part of the business. Sadly we fans represent dollars and show the performance of the team’s recruiting success. All we can do is cheer for the team and wish the kids well in their future endeavors.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Ottomatic

Usntdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
You're right, we should never have let Cam Fowler or Kenny Ryan on the team, because they were only playing for themselves. Same with Sieloff this year, no thanks. If we draft players who don't want to play for the Spits when they are 16, then they should not be able to later on.

Kenny Ryan was already drafted I believe, and Sieloff will be as well. So they're not worried about playing for the scouts in the stands or here for the exposure but rather they realize the Spits got a good program for getting folks ready for the NHL. Regarding Fowler, I mentioned him in my original post on this topic and conceded he came over in his draft year but there is two things different - Fowler had a USNTDP commitment and we drafted him as a 17 yr old (after he didn't report to Kitchener who drafted him the year before) knowing he wouldn't be here the first season. Nick Schmaltz simply doesn't want to be here this year (choosing the USHL). He should come over this year to get the growing pains out of the way so come next year he'd be fully integrated into the team and the systems.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 06-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Kenny Ryan was already drafted I believe, and Sieloff will be as well. So they're not worried about playing for the scouts in the stands or here for the exposure but rather they realize the Spits got a good program for getting folks ready for the NHL. Regarding Fowler, I mentioned him in my original post on this topic and conceded he came over in his draft year but there is two things different - Fowler had a USNTDP commitment and we drafted him as a 17 yr old (after he didn't report to Kitchener who drafted him the year before) knowing he wouldn't be here the first season. Nick Schmaltz simply doesn't want to be here this year (choosing the USHL). He should come over this year to get the growing pains out of the way so come next year he'd be fully integrated into the team and the systems.
So how about the reverse, the Spits draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round and want him to play junior B, but he wants to play in the OHL this year, would you be ok if they released him to play for another team?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Findlay goes to Peterbourgh

2nd and 3rd going the other way

Old
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post

Beat me too it!

Old
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
How about the flip side of this. Schmaltz is actually honoring his commitment that he made to Green Bay to play there this year. Maybe he's an upstanding young guy and wants to be committed to the place he said he was going to play. The same can be said for his brother about UND. Neither committed to Windsor and both have honored their commitments elsewhere. Why look poorly upon the kid?

Old
06-04-2012, 05:25 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post

Steep price to pay for overager. Good deal for the Soo after the fleecing they
took in the Campbell trade. Dubas needed a win.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
So how about the reverse, the Spits draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round and want him to play junior B, but he wants to play in the OHL this year, would you be ok if they released him to play for another team?
I don't see how this applies. If team wants a player and they don't report they have no solution, if player wants to play in OHL and drafting team doesn't have room than they don't have to sign and the draft team for the year and then force a trade the next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
How about the flip side of this. Schmaltz is actually honoring his commitment that he made to Green Bay to play there this year. Maybe he's an upstanding young guy and wants to be committed to the place he said he was going to play. The same can be said for his brother about UND. Neither committed to Windsor and both have honored their commitments elsewhere. Why look poorly upon the kid?
I don't begrudge the kid for playing elsewhere as I've said in the past if I had a hockey playing kid of OHL caliber they'd be going the US scholarship route - I just don't want him here next year. If he wants to play in an inferior league for a season - so be it. Just stay there two years. It would be one thing if he was going the USNTDP route with a two year commitment as that's very good hockey. But he's playing in the USHL for one year and then might decide to grace us with his presence if we could be so lucky in 2014. Go to the North Dakota and continue your education - I'd much rather dance with the girl I brought to the dance come 2014. Nick won't have any bearing on IF we host the Memorial Cup or not as he won't make the decision of where he is going to play by April 2013.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Steep price to pay for overager. Good deal for the Soo after the fleecing they
took in the Campbell trade. Dubas needed a win.
We traded Carnevale for two second rounders last year IIRC.

And traded a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for a 3 mos Carrick rental.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Raisy

Quote:
I don't see how this applies. If team wants a player and they don't report they have no solution, if player wants to play in OHL and drafting team doesn't have room than they don't have to sign and the draft team for the year and then force a trade the next season.

My point is that sometimes players are drafted people want them to sign right away, and if they don't then the feeling is to hell with them, they don't care about the team they are selfish.
On the other hand, some kids get drafted and told they have to spend a year playing down, when they want to play for their team and now only have 1 year to show what they have before the NHL draft and no one craps on the team because of this.
Maybe Schmaltz doesn't report this year because his parents want him to play close to home one more year, maybe it's because as rayzor said he could be a stand up kid that honors his commitment or maybe it's because he is selfish and wants to try and light up a weaker league, who knows. I just think that it is unfair to assume that they will be selfish or not team players because they don't report the year they were drafted.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Ottomatic

I'm fine with Nick choosing the Green Bay Gamblers. Let him be there for two years is all I'm saying. He's made his choice - we all make choices and we live with them. If his parents want him in Wisconsin to focus more on school or to keep his NCAA eligibility than that's their choice and it would be the choice I'd make. But this one year decision is what bothers me. What changes in a year other than the Spitfires (likely) host the Memorial Cup? Just seems a little too self-serving, which he should be doing I guess, but it doesn't mean the Spitfires have to oblige him.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Crottenham

Quote:

I don't begrudge the kid for playing elsewhere as I've said in the past if I had a hockey playing kid of OHL caliber they'd be going the US scholarship route - I just don't want him here next year. If he wants to play in an inferior league for a season - so be it. Just stay there two years. It would be one thing if he was going the USNTDP route with a two year commitment as that's very good hockey. But he's playing in the USHL for one year and then might decide to grace us with his presence if we could be so lucky in 2014. Go to the North Dakota and continue your education - I'd much rather dance with the girl I brought to the dance come 2014. Nick won't have any bearing on IF we host the Memorial Cup or not as he won't make the decision of where he is going to play by April 2013.

Doesn't the USNDTP program play against USHL teams who are playing "inferior hockey?" Just curious.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Doesn't the USNDTP program play against USHL teams who are playing "inferior hockey?" Just curious.
I was actually thinking the same thing. The US-NTDP plays the same schedule as Green Bay.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I'm fine with Nick choosing the Green Bay Gamblers. Let him be there for two years is all I'm saying. He's made his choice - we all make choices and we live with them. If his parents want him in Wisconsin to focus more on school or to keep his NCAA eligibility than that's their choice and it would be the choice I'd make. But this one year decision is what bothers me. What changes in a year other than the Spitfires (likely) host the Memorial Cup? Just seems a little too self-serving, which he should be doing I guess, but it doesn't mean the Spitfires have to oblige him.
A lot of things can change eg. his brother only stays one year at UND and signs with an NHL team. There's talk about him being a high pick in 2014 and wants to challenge himself and go to the OHL. I just think there's frustration on your part because back around the draft people were talking about maybe getting both of them. Fact is Schmaltz was a 4th round pick not many 4th rounders even sign with their OHL team right after the draft. Schmaltz isn't any different from any other prospect in that case. Windsor needs to get their stuff together for this upcoming year first.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
But they also play in a number of domestic and international tournaments as well, no?

Closed Thread