HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Hicks re-tweeted that Dansk has a deal with London. Makes more sense. They'll be contenders next season and need a #1 and have a decent enough track record with goalies. I think Campbell's struggles here would scare away any top goalie prospects.
I'm sort of glad London is using their import pick on a goalie. It's not always easy for imports to make an impact right away, and if Campbell showed anything it's that the OHL will expose your weaknesses as a goalie prospect. Campbell was already drafted when he reported to the OHL, and the same will be true of Dansk so I don't see how Campbells struggles would scare any goalie prospects away. If you ask Campbell he'd probably tell you he's a better goalie for having gone through the struggles he did.

I'm still firmly in Pavelka's corner and I think he has what it takes to be worth the import designation and even an overager designation in 2013. I think we're going to end up dropping Koko and snagging a kid at this years draft to replace him, but we'll stick with Pavelka in the other spot.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm sort of glad London is using their import pick on a goalie. It's not always easy for imports to make an impact right away, and if Campbell showed anything it's that the OHL will expose your weaknesses as a goalie prospect. Campbell was already drafted when he reported to the OHL, and the same will be true of Dansk so I don't see how Campbells struggles would scare any goalie prospects away. If you ask Campbell he'd probably tell you he's a better goalie for having gone through the struggles he did.

I'm still firmly in Pavelka's corner and I think he has what it takes to be worth the import designation and even an overager designation in 2013. I think we're going to end up dropping Koko and snagging a kid at this years draft to replace him, but we'll stick with Pavelka in the other spot.
Of course Doug Gilmour could decide to payback Hunter over Domi by drafting Dansk then holding Hunter up for some really really nice goodies.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:43 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post

Fortunately for Dansk he will have Harrington, Maatta, Raine and Hughes returning from a Memorial Cup finalist. Campbell had Ellis, Ebert, Posa, Duininck, Trojanovic and MacIntyre in front of him.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Fortunately for Dansk he will have Harrington, Maatta, Raine and Hughes returning from a Memorial Cup finalist. Campbell had Ellis, Ebert, Posa, Duininck, Trojanovic and MacIntyre in front of him.
Yeah and they went to final four with that group and with what I thought was a goalie who played ok but not great

Old
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Of course Doug Gilmour could decide to payback Hunter over Domi by drafting Dansk then holding Hunter up for some really really nice goodies.

I like it!!!!

Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
It would make my day if he did just that. Probably bring a smile to most of the Spit fans. I'm chuckling at the thought of all the squeeling that would go on. It has happened before.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
OHLTG

I just giggled at the Gilmour/Hunter thought

As for Campbell...why do I want to believe that part of his issues came from the Spitfires' fans? They weren't exactly forgiving. If you're a young goaltender who's hyped up to be the next big thing, and you start struggling, some Spits fans will eat you alive. While JC blamed himself, having a few thousand fans a night get on your case has to rattle you a bit. (probably was the same in SSM)

Old
06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

As for Campbell...why do I want to believe that part of his issues came from the Spitfires' fans? They weren't exactly forgiving. If you're a young goaltender who's hyped up to be the next big thing, and you start struggling, some Spits fans will eat you alive. While JC blamed himself, having a few thousand fans a night get on your case has to rattle you a bit. (probably was the same in SSM)
I'd say the opponents on the ice played about 1000x more of an issue than any fans did.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Ottomatic

Given WR's trip to Sweden I still wonder if we were sniped on Dansk. Haag would still make sense, I don't think de la Rose would be worth the 15th pick.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Ottomatic

Jones aggravated assault charges withdrawn - http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3586982
Quote:
The Crown asked for the withdrawal, in consultation with Rimmer and his family, because of actions taken by Jones — "sincere'' private and public apologies to the victim and an undertaking to pay for damages.

"I'm sorry that I punched you in the face and I know that another person hit you as well,'' Jones said in a letter to Rimmer, read in court by assistant Crown attorney Mike Kelly.

"I accept all responsibility and I do not view you as the instigator.''

Old
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Libbs

I thought it was just Jones? There were others with him?

Old
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I thought it was just Jones? There were others with him?
DJ Smith was out with Jones as per this old Sault Star article - http://www.thesudburystar.com/articl...2&archive=true

Quote:
According to sources, Jones, who was with Spitfires associate coach D.J. Smith at the time of the incident, surrendered to police on Friday, hours before his team took to the ice to play the Soo Greyhounds. Windsor won the game 4-2.
IIRC there was a third person as well so it doesn't mean DJ was the "other puncher". One would figure he would have been named as well if he was.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Sec108

Quote:

I have to agree with your statement.The fans at times did get on Jack again because the spits org overhyped him.And fans tend to get let down quickly esp. after back2back mem cup campaigns.And he didnt play well.

Jack also took the league too lightly IMO and lost some confidence after panicking too often.Esp. in shootouts making moves before the shooter most times.

After he calmed down and understood the league better he really played well in the playoffs for us.Which turned into an exciting 3rd run for the fans.

btw....don't you just love my avitar.....lol!!!!

Old
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
I'd say the opponents on the ice played about 1000x more of an issue than any fans did.
Would you rather have fans harping on you after every little mistake, or supporting you? While the players clearly played a part in his lack of success, having little-to-no fan support didn't help matters at all.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
RayzorIsDull

Regardless of the Campbell stuff I am surprised one person wants to see Pavelka back. He was just average last year on a rebuilding team. There's a huge risk in having Pavelka return to Windsor. He was on a contender in Niagara before being dealt and he stunk, the stakes were high, expectations were he could compete with Visentin and that didn't pan out. Expectations should be higher this year in Windsor not sure how Pavelka would react to that since last year it was all about development and wins took a back seat to the former.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
spits2timechamps

Pavelka was inconsistent but I'm not suprised that people want him back. There were no expectations for him, most fans knew he was just a flyer or a "fill in" for the import slot until we got a player to play with Koko. Now I think since this was his "rookie" season in this league I think we should give him a chance and see what he has learned from an offseason with the spits organization other than Niagra's.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
OHLTG

If .905% and 3.47 is just average on a rebuilding team, for a rookie goaltender, I can't wait to see what happens this year. Sure, he was inconsistent, but who on the team wasn't?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If .905% and 3.47 is just average on a rebuilding team, for a rookie goaltender, I can't wait to see what happens this year. Sure, he was inconsistent, but who on the team wasn't?
Pavelka
GAA 26th
Sv% 22nd

In fact he wasn't average he was below average

Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
hockeylegend11

From what I can gather Kingston is not trading their Euro pick at #6,cant say the same about Erie's at #3
My guess is that should the Spits get that pick they will select Oscar Dansk
You can forget about either Haag or de laRose being selected as both have signed to stay in Europe
Also I would not be surprised to see the Spits signing a free agent post NHL draft

Old
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Ottomatic

So we were sniped by London - and for the low cost of a very late second rounder. It will cost us a lot more than that to get #3 off Erie. Hell London will probably trade up to #3 just to make sure they get their guy.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Pavelka
GAA 26th
Sv% 22nd

In fact he wasn't average he was below average
Come on guys for how long you must of watched junior hockey I figured that you wouldn't use statistics to rank goaltenders especially on rebuilding teams.

Besides with that logic he is above goalies like
Morrison, Murray, and Sadikov

And I also remember goalies like Janus, Pasquale(i spell it wrong all the time), and Murphy(belleville) with similar stats and thats just from the top of my head.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
So we were sniped by London - and for the low cost of a very late second rounder. It will cost us a lot more than that to get #3 off Erie. Hell London will probably trade up to #3 just to make sure they get their guy.
Not neccessarily,just makes sense take a great goalie and screw London in the process
Not saying its going to happen but u never know
You can bet the Spits will get a dandy based on their last 3 Euro selections,regardless where they select
I doubt that it will be a D-man though
Patience Ottomatic,there may be a surprise coming,thats all I can say
Nothing definite which is why I said may

Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
From what I can gather Kingston is not trading their Euro pick at #6,cant say the same about Erie's at #3
My guess is that should the Spits get that pick they will select Oscar Dansk
You can forget about either Haag or de laRose being selected as both have signed to stay in Europe
Also I would not be surprised to see the Spits signing a free agent post NHL draft
Are you thinking Overage Goalie from the QHL?

I like the sound of Dansk coming to Windsor.

Here's my trade proposal..... Windsor trades Pavekla, a first round Import pick in 2013 (the higher of the two), the rights to Koko, Windsors 2012 Import Pick (#15) and a future 2nd round pick to Erie for Erie's Import pick at #3 and Sondre Olden.

Olden would be an overager as well as an import for the Spits. He missed a good part of last season with injury and is quite likely to be back in the OHL this year.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post

Here's my trade proposal..... Windsor trades Pavekla, a first round Import pick in 2013 (the higher of the two), the rights to Koko, Windsors 2012 Import Pick (#15) and a future 2nd round pick to Erie for Erie's Import pick at #3 and Sondre Olden.

Olden would be an overager as well as an import for the Spits. He missed a good part of last season with injury and is quite likely to be back in the OHL this year.
I heard Olden is going back to Sweden. He left the Marlies in the AHL playoffs. I think he is done with North american hockey.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Are you thinking Overage Goalie from the QHL?

I like the sound of Dansk coming to Windsor.

Punch1943

In answer to your question no about the QHL speculation
As for Koko I doubt anybody takes his rights,besides they can get him for free should the Spits delete I expect they will unless something drastic happens
If a trade happens between Erie and Windsor u can bet it will cost Windsor their 1st rd Euro pick this year and next or Niagara's next year,as well would not surprise me if Devlin is packaged as part of that deal
Just speculating
Spits currently have 10 defencemen fighting for 7/8 spots
They are Seiloff.Bateman,Devlin,Posa,Braithwaite,Ebert,Bowe n,Mcnaughton,Sanvido,Brown
As well they are high on Morrison and Kotsovos
I am also not forgetting Americans Butcher,MacLean,Belpedio and Baughman for the future too
I would think that Schmaltz and
Freidman dont figure in their plans

Closed Thread