HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
  #576
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Hicks re-tweeted that Dansk has a deal with London. Makes more sense. They'll be contenders next season and need a #1 and have a decent enough track record with goalies. I think Campbell's struggles here would scare away any top goalie prospects.
I'm sort of glad London is using their import pick on a goalie. It's not always easy for imports to make an impact right away, and if Campbell showed anything it's that the OHL will expose your weaknesses as a goalie prospect. Campbell was already drafted when he reported to the OHL, and the same will be true of Dansk so I don't see how Campbells struggles would scare any goalie prospects away. If you ask Campbell he'd probably tell you he's a better goalie for having gone through the struggles he did.

I'm still firmly in Pavelka's corner and I think he has what it takes to be worth the import designation and even an overager designation in 2013. I think we're going to end up dropping Koko and snagging a kid at this years draft to replace him, but we'll stick with Pavelka in the other spot.

jughead42 is offline  
Old
06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
  #577
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm sort of glad London is using their import pick on a goalie. It's not always easy for imports to make an impact right away, and if Campbell showed anything it's that the OHL will expose your weaknesses as a goalie prospect. Campbell was already drafted when he reported to the OHL, and the same will be true of Dansk so I don't see how Campbells struggles would scare any goalie prospects away. If you ask Campbell he'd probably tell you he's a better goalie for having gone through the struggles he did.

I'm still firmly in Pavelka's corner and I think he has what it takes to be worth the import designation and even an overager designation in 2013. I think we're going to end up dropping Koko and snagging a kid at this years draft to replace him, but we'll stick with Pavelka in the other spot.
Of course Doug Gilmour could decide to payback Hunter over Domi by drafting Dansk then holding Hunter up for some really really nice goodies.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
06-17-2012, 07:43 PM
  #578
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm sort of glad London is using their import pick on a goalie. It's not always easy for imports to make an impact right away, and if Campbell showed anything it's that the OHL will expose your weaknesses as a goalie prospect. Campbell was already drafted when he reported to the OHL, and the same will be true of Dansk so I don't see how Campbells struggles would scare any goalie prospects away. If you ask Campbell he'd probably tell you he's a better goalie for having gone through the struggles he did.

I'm still firmly in Pavelka's corner and I think he has what it takes to be worth the import designation and even an overager designation in 2013. I think we're going to end up dropping Koko and snagging a kid at this years draft to replace him, but we'll stick with Pavelka in the other spot.
Fortunately for Dansk he will have Harrington, Maatta, Raine and Hughes returning from a Memorial Cup finalist. Campbell had Ellis, Ebert, Posa, Duininck, Trojanovic and MacIntyre in front of him.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
06-17-2012, 08:00 PM
  #579
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Fortunately for Dansk he will have Harrington, Maatta, Raine and Hughes returning from a Memorial Cup finalist. Campbell had Ellis, Ebert, Posa, Duininck, Trojanovic and MacIntyre in front of him.
Yeah and they went to final four with that group and with what I thought was a goalie who played ok but not great

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
  #580
Sec108
Registered User
 
Sec108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IHate LONDON COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Of course Doug Gilmour could decide to payback Hunter over Domi by drafting Dansk then holding Hunter up for some really really nice goodies.

I like it!!!!

Sec108 is offline  
Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
  #581
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Of course Doug Gilmour could decide to payback Hunter over Domi by drafting Dansk then holding Hunter up for some really really nice goodies.
It would make my day if he did just that. Probably bring a smile to most of the Spit fans. I'm chuckling at the thought of all the squeeling that would go on. It has happened before.

punch1943 is online now  
Old
06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
  #582
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
I just giggled at the Gilmour/Hunter thought

As for Campbell...why do I want to believe that part of his issues came from the Spitfires' fans? They weren't exactly forgiving. If you're a young goaltender who's hyped up to be the next big thing, and you start struggling, some Spits fans will eat you alive. While JC blamed himself, having a few thousand fans a night get on your case has to rattle you a bit. (probably was the same in SSM)

OHLTG is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
  #583
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I just giggled at the Gilmour/Hunter thought

As for Campbell...why do I want to believe that part of his issues came from the Spitfires' fans? They weren't exactly forgiving. If you're a young goaltender who's hyped up to be the next big thing, and you start struggling, some Spits fans will eat you alive. While JC blamed himself, having a few thousand fans a night get on your case has to rattle you a bit. (probably was the same in SSM)
I'd say the opponents on the ice played about 1000x more of an issue than any fans did.

youngblood10 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
  #584
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
Given WR's trip to Sweden I still wonder if we were sniped on Dansk. Haag would still make sense, I don't think de la Rose would be worth the 15th pick.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 03:35 PM
  #585
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
Jones aggravated assault charges withdrawn - http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3586982
Quote:
The Crown asked for the withdrawal, in consultation with Rimmer and his family, because of actions taken by Jones — "sincere'' private and public apologies to the victim and an undertaking to pay for damages.

"I'm sorry that I punched you in the face and I know that another person hit you as well,'' Jones said in a letter to Rimmer, read in court by assistant Crown attorney Mike Kelly.

"I accept all responsibility and I do not view you as the instigator.''

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
  #586
Libbs
Registered User
 
Libbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 3,555
vCash: 500
I thought it was just Jones? There were others with him?

Libbs is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
  #587
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I thought it was just Jones? There were others with him?
DJ Smith was out with Jones as per this old Sault Star article - http://www.thesudburystar.com/articl...2&archive=true

Quote:
According to sources, Jones, who was with Spitfires associate coach D.J. Smith at the time of the incident, surrendered to police on Friday, hours before his team took to the ice to play the Soo Greyhounds. Windsor won the game 4-2.
IIRC there was a third person as well so it doesn't mean DJ was the "other puncher". One would figure he would have been named as well if he was.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
  #588
Sec108
Registered User
 
Sec108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IHate LONDON COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I just giggled at the Gilmour/Hunter thought

As for Campbell...why do I want to believe that part of his issues came from the Spitfires' fans? They weren't exactly forgiving. If you're a young goaltender who's hyped up to be the next big thing, and you start struggling, some Spits fans will eat you alive. While JC blamed himself, having a few thousand fans a night get on your case has to rattle you a bit. (probably was the same in SSM)

I have to agree with your statement.The fans at times did get on Jack again because the spits org overhyped him.And fans tend to get let down quickly esp. after back2back mem cup campaigns.And he didnt play well.

Jack also took the league too lightly IMO and lost some confidence after panicking too often.Esp. in shootouts making moves before the shooter most times.

After he calmed down and understood the league better he really played well in the playoffs for us.Which turned into an exciting 3rd run for the fans.

btw....don't you just love my avitar.....lol!!!!

Sec108 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
  #589
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
I'd say the opponents on the ice played about 1000x more of an issue than any fans did.
Would you rather have fans harping on you after every little mistake, or supporting you? While the players clearly played a part in his lack of success, having little-to-no fan support didn't help matters at all.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
  #590
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Regardless of the Campbell stuff I am surprised one person wants to see Pavelka back. He was just average last year on a rebuilding team. There's a huge risk in having Pavelka return to Windsor. He was on a contender in Niagara before being dealt and he stunk, the stakes were high, expectations were he could compete with Visentin and that didn't pan out. Expectations should be higher this year in Windsor not sure how Pavelka would react to that since last year it was all about development and wins took a back seat to the former.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
  #591
spits2timechamps
Registered User
 
spits2timechamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Pavelka was inconsistent but I'm not suprised that people want him back. There were no expectations for him, most fans knew he was just a flyer or a "fill in" for the import slot until we got a player to play with Koko. Now I think since this was his "rookie" season in this league I think we should give him a chance and see what he has learned from an offseason with the spits organization other than Niagra's.

spits2timechamps is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
  #592
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
If .905% and 3.47 is just average on a rebuilding team, for a rookie goaltender, I can't wait to see what happens this year. Sure, he was inconsistent, but who on the team wasn't?

OHLTG is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  #593
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If .905% and 3.47 is just average on a rebuilding team, for a rookie goaltender, I can't wait to see what happens this year. Sure, he was inconsistent, but who on the team wasn't?
Pavelka
GAA 26th
Sv% 22nd

In fact he wasn't average he was below average

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
  #594
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
From what I can gather Kingston is not trading their Euro pick at #6,cant say the same about Erie's at #3
My guess is that should the Spits get that pick they will select Oscar Dansk
You can forget about either Haag or de laRose being selected as both have signed to stay in Europe
Also I would not be surprised to see the Spits signing a free agent post NHL draft

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  #595
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
So we were sniped by London - and for the low cost of a very late second rounder. It will cost us a lot more than that to get #3 off Erie. Hell London will probably trade up to #3 just to make sure they get their guy.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
  #596
spits2timechamps
Registered User
 
spits2timechamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Pavelka
GAA 26th
Sv% 22nd

In fact he wasn't average he was below average
Come on guys for how long you must of watched junior hockey I figured that you wouldn't use statistics to rank goaltenders especially on rebuilding teams.

Besides with that logic he is above goalies like
Morrison, Murray, and Sadikov

And I also remember goalies like Janus, Pasquale(i spell it wrong all the time), and Murphy(belleville) with similar stats and thats just from the top of my head.

spits2timechamps is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
  #597
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
So we were sniped by London - and for the low cost of a very late second rounder. It will cost us a lot more than that to get #3 off Erie. Hell London will probably trade up to #3 just to make sure they get their guy.
Not neccessarily,just makes sense take a great goalie and screw London in the process
Not saying its going to happen but u never know
You can bet the Spits will get a dandy based on their last 3 Euro selections,regardless where they select
I doubt that it will be a D-man though
Patience Ottomatic,there may be a surprise coming,thats all I can say
Nothing definite which is why I said may

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  #598
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
From what I can gather Kingston is not trading their Euro pick at #6,cant say the same about Erie's at #3
My guess is that should the Spits get that pick they will select Oscar Dansk
You can forget about either Haag or de laRose being selected as both have signed to stay in Europe
Also I would not be surprised to see the Spits signing a free agent post NHL draft
Are you thinking Overage Goalie from the QHL?

I like the sound of Dansk coming to Windsor.

Here's my trade proposal..... Windsor trades Pavekla, a first round Import pick in 2013 (the higher of the two), the rights to Koko, Windsors 2012 Import Pick (#15) and a future 2nd round pick to Erie for Erie's Import pick at #3 and Sondre Olden.

Olden would be an overager as well as an import for the Spits. He missed a good part of last season with injury and is quite likely to be back in the OHL this year.

punch1943 is online now  
Old
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
  #599
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post

Here's my trade proposal..... Windsor trades Pavekla, a first round Import pick in 2013 (the higher of the two), the rights to Koko, Windsors 2012 Import Pick (#15) and a future 2nd round pick to Erie for Erie's Import pick at #3 and Sondre Olden.

Olden would be an overager as well as an import for the Spits. He missed a good part of last season with injury and is quite likely to be back in the OHL this year.
I heard Olden is going back to Sweden. He left the Marlies in the AHL playoffs. I think he is done with North american hockey.

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
  #600
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Are you thinking Overage Goalie from the QHL?

I like the sound of Dansk coming to Windsor.

Here's my trade proposal..... Windsor trades Pavekla, a first round Import pick in 2013 (the higher of the two), the rights to Koko, Windsors 2012 Import Pick (#15) and a future 2nd round pick to Erie for Erie's Import pick at #3 and Sondre Olden.

Olden would be an overager as well as an import for the Spits. He missed a good part of last season with injury and is quite likely to be back in the OHL this year.
Punch1943

In answer to your question no about the QHL speculation
As for Koko I doubt anybody takes his rights,besides they can get him for free should the Spits delete I expect they will unless something drastic happens
If a trade happens between Erie and Windsor u can bet it will cost Windsor their 1st rd Euro pick this year and next or Niagara's next year,as well would not surprise me if Devlin is packaged as part of that deal
Just speculating
Spits currently have 10 defencemen fighting for 7/8 spots
They are Seiloff.Bateman,Devlin,Posa,Braithwaite,Ebert,Bowe n,Mcnaughton,Sanvido,Brown
As well they are high on Morrison and Kotsovos
I am also not forgetting Americans Butcher,MacLean,Belpedio and Baughman for the future too
I would think that Schmaltz and
Freidman dont figure in their plans

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.