HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Thought this would be the best spot to ask (those who followed the Spits).

I have been lead to believe that Taylor Hall player center in his rookie year for Windsor. I'm looking to get more details about him at C.

Did he play C at any point after that year? Does anyone remember how he was at faceoffs? Did he ever put himself at risk of being hit while cutting through the middle of the ice? Was his speed still as effective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
To be honest I don't remember him playing much at center, maybe he did as a rookie once in a while, but I'm more inclined to think he was just listed as a center on the OHL website when he was drafted because that's what he played as a minor midget in Kingston. I sure wouldn't be using him at center, Hall was always at his best when terrorizing the defence off that left wing using his speed. I think you'd be wasting his most valuable skills if you shackled him with the responsibilities of a center.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
To be honest I don't remember him playing much at center, maybe he did as a rookie once in a while, but I'm more inclined to think he was just listed as a center on the OHL website when he was drafted because that's what he played as a minor midget in Kingston. I sure wouldn't be using him at center, Hall was always at his best when terrorizing the defence off that left wing using his speed. I think you'd be wasting his most valuable skills if you shackled him with the responsibilities of a center.
That's my thinking as well, just came here to get some more input. Lots of Oilers fans want to try him at center but like you said he is at his best when he's flying down the wing and releasing that deceivingly quick wrister.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Some news re the last part of the Jack Campbell trade with the Sault
as further details come forward,apparently the Spits will not get Bret Findlay or Colin Miller
as the final piece of this trade
Had the Hounds made the playoffs it may been the final payoff however because they did not the Hounds offered 1 of 4 players,whose names are Durocher,Alderson,Quesnel and import Elsner in return for a 5th rd pick
The Spits turned down that option,thus the trade is complete
The Spits as of now are going forward with the following players as their o/a
Sav Posa,Jeff Braithwaite and Nick Czinder
This development coupled with the possible and I stress possible loss of Alex Khocklachev
makes things interesting for the balance of the summer

Old
05-07-2012, 04:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Some news re the last part of the Jack Campbell trade with the Sault
as further details come forward,apparently the Spits will not get Bret Findlay or Colin Miller
as the final piece of this trade
Had the Hounds made the playoffs it may been the final payoff however because they did not the Hounds offered 1 of 4 players,whose names are Durocher,Alderson,Quesnel and import Elsner in return for a 5th rd pick
The Spits turned down that option,thus the trade is complete
The Spits as of now are going forward with the following players as their o/a
Sav Posa,Jeff Braithwaite and Nick Czinder
This development coupled with the possible and I stress possible loss of Alex Khocklachev
makes things interesting for the balance of the summer
Kind of disappointing. Findlay isn't great but it would have given Windsor a new face and probably spelt the end for a guy like Czinder who improved but is still inconsistent and doesn't have a very good work ethic. Instead now it probably means Braithwaite and Posa will be back on D and there won't be room for Brown or Sanvido to develop in Windsor this year. This is also big because like you said the Khokhlachev news because if he doesn't come in they don't have anybody that is equipped to play center on the top line. Ho-Sang will probably be on wing to begin with and urrently their only 2 returning C's would be Vail and Clarke neither equipped to be a top line guy you may find an import to replace Khokhlachev and that's okay but that's taking a big step back in the experience department. I really do hope the OA situation is shaken up because as we learned having MacQueen, Holden and Cullen didn't cut it this year. I can see the same things with Braithwaite, Posa and Czinder this year should be a bit better but certainly not a strong core, no 93's to really step up and carry a leadership role. With this news and possibly no Khokhlachev Spits would take a huge step back from last year.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
cfaub

I would rather see the team continue to stockpile draft picks or add talent that will be here in 2014 then send a 2nd back for an OA who will not add anything for the year they are building towards.

A smart move IMO.

As for the others they could have added, if your target guys aren't available why settle for someone you were not seeking in the first place, especially if they take up an OA spot? The cost of the deal is irrelevant if the player does not appear to be the fit you are looking for.

This team does not need to add bodies just for the sake of adding a body, the kids still need development time.

That being said I can see one of these players moving elsewhere and having a banner year for someone else and we will all look back and say a 5th could have brought them here.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Kind of disappointing. Findlay isn't great but it would have given Windsor a new face and probably spelt the end for a guy like Czinder who improved but is still inconsistent and doesn't have a very good work ethic. Instead now it probably means Braithwaite and Posa will be back on D and there won't be room for Brown or Sanvido to develop in Windsor this year. This is also big because like you said the Khokhlachev news because if he doesn't come in they don't have anybody that is equipped to play center on the top line. Ho-Sang will probably be on wing to begin with and urrently their only 2 returning C's would be Vail and Clarke neither equipped to be a top line guy you may find an import to replace Khokhlachev and that's okay but that's taking a big step back in the experience department. I really do hope the OA situation is shaken up because as we learned having MacQueen, Holden and Cullen didn't cut it this year. I can see the same things with Braithwaite, Posa and Czinder this year should be a bit better but certainly not a strong core, no 93's to really step up and carry a leadership role. With this news and possibly no Khokhlachev Spits would take a huge step back from last year.
My guess would be that Hosang will play center along side Rychel and Marchese
regardless of the Khoklachev situation
Assuming Khoklachev stays he will get Johnson and Vail as his linemates
while Clarke would lineup with Maletta and Czinder,a line that when together played well
It would leave a 4th line consisting of Billings,Bilcke and Studnicka
In my mind players such as Smith,Alonge Verbeek, and Mccann would battle for the last spot or new
If Koko does not return I could see Clarke moving to 2nd line,with Billings moving up to the 3rd line
I also did not include a Euro forward who could move on to the 3rd line replacing Czinder
Maybe just thiinking out loud if the Spits dont get back Koko and they deal Pavelka they will have 2 1st rd euro picks,2 forwards or 1 D-man and 1 forward could be drafted setting things up better for 2013/14
Rayzor as u suggested before perhaps Niagara's euro pick for next year would be in play here
Alot might happen here yet

Old
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
My guess would be that Hosang will play center along side Rychel and Marchese
regardless of the Khoklachev situation
Assuming Khoklachev stays he will get Johnson and Vail as his linemates
while Clarke would lineup with Maletta and Czinder,a line that when together played well
It would leave a 4th line consisting of Billings,Bilcke and Studnicka
In my mind players such as Smith,Alonge Verbeek, and Mccann would battle for the last spot or new
If Koko does not return I could see Clarke moving to 2nd line,with Billings moving up to the 3rd line
I also did not include a Euro forward who could move on to the 3rd line replacing Czinder
Maybe just thiinking out loud if the Spits dont get back Koko and they deal Pavelka they will have 2 1st rd euro picks,2 forwards or 1 D-man and 1 forward could be drafted setting things up better for 2013/14
Rayzor as u suggested before perhaps Niagara's euro pick for next year would be in play here
Alot might happen here yet
A lot is bound to happen regardless but Khokhlachev not returning and the Spits getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be sugarcoated. It would be a huge loss for the team, we already saw how the Spits played this year without Khokhlachev. Sounds like it would be another step back to take two steps forward for 13/14. A long ways to go but between this news and Rychel saying last week that he was surprised that the returnees weren't in good shape isn't good news.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Libbs

Quote:
A lot is bound to happen regardless but Khokhlachev not returning and the Spits getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be sugarcoated. It would be a huge loss for the team, we already saw how the Spits played this year without Khokhlachev. Sounds like it would be another step back to take two steps forward for 13/14. A long ways to go but between this news and Rychel saying last week that he was surprised that the returnees weren't in good shape isn't good news.
I must have missed this.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Ottomatic

Did Khokhlachev not sign with Boston? I assume this is a pressure tactic on Boston with the Spits not in the picture. Khokhlachev's injury probably made his family realize that he could be playing in the KHL for low to mid six figures while playing in the CHL without a contract has him risking permanent injury for pittance. He came to the OHL to get drafted and show the NHL that he was serious about wanting to play in the NHL - now they need to show they're serious about him by signing him.

Yakupov and Galchynuk should be pissed about this as NHL teams are already skittish about drafting Russians.

My butt wouldn't be too burned as Koko wouldn't be here as an OA anyways and it's not like we would have traded him as we need to make a deep play-off run.

I'm not too chapped about not getting Finlay either. Now he would have been a nice get if Koko leaves, but if Koko does come back Finlay didn't really fit in my opinion as this would have been my top six-

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Import Pick
Johnson|Vail|Ho-Sang
Marchese|Clarke|Maletta

Worst part about not getting Finlay is Czinder is back in the picture.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I must have missed this.
Its in the video on the Spits site when they ask Rychel about post camp thoughts. He said the fitness level of the returning players was low.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Its in the video on the Spits site when they ask Rychel about post camp thoughts. He said the fitness level of the returning players was low.
I got the impression he was referring to the guys that attended camp last year and didn't make the team... not about Maletta, Bowen and Bateman. Realistically...how "out of shape" could those guys have been less than a month out of playing.

Most of those 95's would have went back and played major midget. Their teams don't have the resources to put together those kind of intense off-ice workouts. We've had this conversation before about there being a huge difference between being in shape and being in Spitfire shape. Spits model NHL style off-ice workouts so when they talk about "being out of shape" I don't think it's fair to completely leave it on the players shoulders because they don't have the same exposure at their home clubs.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
OHLTG

Not overly upset that the players from the Hounds aren't coming here. Would rather see Billings, Bilcke, Studnicka, etc on the fourth line than someone from the Hounds.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
jughead42

I'm not too upset about missing out on the Sault overagers. If these guys were any good that team would have been in the playoffs, so we're just as good to keep our 2nd round pick for other things. I might have thrown a 5th at them for Alderson, but he's not that much better than Czinder really. I'm sure opportunities to improve on Braithwaite, Czinder and Posa will present themselves after the preseason games get going, teams will have a better idea of what they have to work with.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I got the impression he was referring to the guys that attended camp last year and didn't make the team... not about Maletta, Bowen and Bateman. Realistically...how "out of shape" could those guys have been less than a month out of playing.

Most of those 95's would have went back and played major midget. Their teams don't have the resources to put together those kind of intense off-ice workouts. We've had this conversation before about there being a huge difference between being in shape and being in Spitfire shape. Spits model NHL style off-ice workouts so when they talk about "being out of shape" I don't think it's fair to completely leave it on the players shoulders because they don't have the same exposure at their home clubs.
This is the exact reason why I thought he was talking about current guys. Those other guys don't have the facilities that can be utilized to stay in good shape or get in better shape.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Not overly upset that the players from the Hounds aren't coming here. Would rather see Billings, Bilcke, Studnicka, etc on the fourth line than someone from the Hounds.
I think Alderson could be pretty good. Coming off a 17 goal season, he was a + player for the Hounds which is pretty good since the team was a -45 in goal differential. Alderson would be an upgrade on Czinder in my mind and Braithwaite should be expendable.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:19 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
I would rather see the team continue to stockpile draft picks or add talent that will be here in 2014 then send a 2nd back for an OA who will not add anything for the year they are building towards.

A smart move IMO.

As for the others they could have added, if your target guys aren't available why settle for someone you were not seeking in the first place, especially if they take up an OA spot? The cost of the deal is irrelevant if the player does not appear to be the fit you are looking for.

This team does not need to add bodies just for the sake of adding a body, the kids still need development time.

That being said I can see one of these players moving elsewhere and having a banner year for someone else and we will all look back and say a 5th could have brought them here.
You cannot kist skip next year and host the Memorial Cup. A Findley would of been good leadership to guide all those youngins next year and learn how to win. It takes very good older vets to show younger kids just how tough it is and keep them outta trouble. I recall Bassin doing this a few years back icing a real young team with little experience to help his kids out....major flop followed.

I see where your all going with building a team for 2014 but you cannot jump hurdles this fast. They should spend some pics this off-season and surround the young guys with good solid OA's. It may not be for a Championship but the value gained from them is worth it.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
You cannot kist skip next year and host the Memorial Cup. A Findley would of been good leadership to guide all those youngins next year and learn how to win. It takes very good older vets to show younger kids just how tough it is and keep them outta trouble. I recall Bassin doing this a few years back icing a real young team with little experience to help his kids out....major flop followed.

I see where your all going with building a team for 2014 but you cannot jump hurdles this fast. They should spend some pics this off-season and surround the young guys with good solid OA's. It may not be for a Championship but the value gained from them is worth it.
What did any of those players really add for the Soo. A bit of offence? Yes. A bit of size from some? Yes. The biggest things these kids need more than that though is leadership and looking at how the Soo went this past year I would think leadership is one thing they were lacking.

They were not a team that should have contended but they should have been much better than what they were and a lack of leadership seems to be part of the problem.

How much would any of them have really added to this team?

If they brought some offence that's great but if they lack the ability to contribute as leaders and mentors to the kids that need to take over the following year then it is a waste of assets since the kids will not likely have learned much from them and Windsor would still be in the same position the following year.

What happened in the Soo speaks volumes about the organization and how things were handled at every level from the onwership to the kids on the ice. Adding any of them would have been a questionable decision.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post

Rychel has been very poor the past 2 seasons in bringing in quality OA's for the Spits. He tried to salvage 10/11 by acquiring Brown and Carrick but if you recall at the beginning it was a gong show of Tarini and Clouthier. This year was barely a step up on that and right now Czinder, Posa and Braithwaite is no great shakes. To make an analogy with Rychel he's like a major league pitcher who has lost his fastball. Rychel either needs to regain his fastball or adjust and find a curveball or slider. The team still lacks picks in 2013 and have a fair share in 2014 but they're still not in good draft pick shape. The past few years of success really crippled Windsor.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Rychel has been very poor the past 2 seasons in bringing in quality OA's for the Spits. He tried to salvage 10/11 by acquiring Brown and Carrick but if you recall at the beginning it was a gong show of Tarini and Clouthier. This year was barely a step up on that and right now Czinder, Posa and Braithwaite is no great shakes. To make an analogy with Rychel he's like a major league pitcher who has lost his fastball. Rychel either needs to regain his fastball or adjust and find a curveball or slider. The team still lacks picks in 2013 and have a fair share in 2014 but they're still not in good draft pick shape. The past few years of success really crippled Windsor.
I guess Rychel has to do what Hunter of London has done after 6 years of not going to the Ohl finals and regain his fastball
As I stated before I happily take the 2 mem cup wins,knowing full well some down time
may occur
Does Rychel get 4 more years or do u think Rayzor only Hunter gets a free pass to get his team to the finals once in 6 years
Quality O/As for the most part are harder to find every year,rarely does a team keep a guy for 5 years,in fact with the spits mem cup wins not one o/a played here for 5 years
London has found a way to go with 1,Brett Cook acquired at the trade deadline,colin Martin is never used,one could argue should the Knights not win the league and mem cup they failed miserably in the o/a dept
I think Brown,Carrick and Johnston were better o/a then this past year s of Cullen.Macqueen and Robertson
I think 1 year out of 4 this past year hardly rates losing a fastball,most hockey people know in jrs that there is a price to pay when successful,even more so when a team wins twice,something London,Plymoth and Kitchener cant claim,
This past year,spits make the playoffs and still get a generational player in the draft
Most hockey people feel the spits had a real good draft,probably their best in the last 3 years
You are the only one who feels that Rychel has lost a bit of his touch,while others I speak to across the league say quite the opposite
2 years removed from 2 mem cups and 1 year away from a final 4 appearance is to me not enough to criticize his performance,unless of course you are willing to admit that Hunters six years from the league finals and Vellucci s inability to get his team to win the biggie also indicates a loss of ability

Old
05-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Raisy

Quote:
I agree Rychel is terrible and should be put out to pasture.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I guess Rychel has to do what Hunter of London has done after 6 years of not going to the Ohl finals and regain his fastball
As I stated before I happily take the 2 mem cup wins,knowing full well some down time
may occur
Does Rychel get 4 more years or do u think Rayzor only Hunter gets a free pass to get his team to the finals once in 6 years
Quality O/As for the most part are harder to find every year,rarely does a team keep a guy for 5 years,in fact with the spits mem cup wins not one o/a played here for 5 years
London has found a way to go with 1,Brett Cook acquired at the trade deadline,colin Martin is never used,one could argue should the Knights not win the league and mem cup they failed miserably in the o/a dept
I think Brown,Carrick and Johnston were better o/a then this past year s of Cullen.Macqueen and Robertson
I think 1 year out of 4 this past year hardly rates losing a fastball,most hockey people know in jrs that there is a price to pay when successful,even more so when a team wins twice,something London,Plymoth and Kitchener cant claim,
This past year,spits make the playoffs and still get a generational player in the draft
Most hockey people feel the spits had a real good draft,probably their best in the last 3 years
You are the only one who feels that Rychel has lost a bit of his touch,while others I speak to across the league say quite the opposite
2 years removed from 2 mem cups and 1 year away from a final 4 appearance is to me not enough to criticize his performance,unless of course you are willing to admit that Hunters six years from the league finals and Vellucci s inability to get his team to win the biggie also indicates a loss of ability
That depends legend. If the Knights win 2 more playoff games they will have won more playoff games than Windsor since Rychel took over. Rychel will get a few more years but a lot depends on 13/14 if they host the Memorial Cup and are only an average hockey team there should be a lot of criticism. I agree last year the OA crop was better than this year but they only had a half year of Carrick and Brown. The first half of the year with those guys really hurt Windsor on the ice and probably impacted where Windsor finished in the standings.

Yes London has gotten away with 1 OA but we have all watched and the ones carrying London are the 17 year olds Rupert hat trick, Tierney GW last night, Domi a couple goals in the OHL Finals. If you have a terrific crop of 17 year olds that can fill the void you can survive without the top OA's. The concern on my part is that the guys that are dominating for London will all be back in 13/14.

We will see about this draft but for the past year I said their past 2 drafts were not good and I was told I was dead wrong and Rychel is still a terrific drafter. If people think this draft is better already then that tells me the past 2 drafts haven't been good.

I do think Plymouth goes by a different model, they trumpet 20 straight playoff years and always being in the mix. Yes their season did not go as people thought but once again I think they look to be in better shape this upcoming season than this past year. Vellucci still goes out and gets Ryan Hartman. I never said Rychel is bad I just think he needs to either find his fastball again or find something else because we both agreed Windsor doesn't look to be near the top in the west next year either.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
That depends legend. If the Knights win 2 more playoff games they will have won more playoff games than Windsor since Rychel took over. Rychel will get a few more years but a lot depends on 13/14 if they host the Memorial Cup and are only an average hockey team there should be a lot of criticism. I agree last year the OA crop was better than this year but they only had a half year of Carrick and Brown. The first half of the year with those guys really hurt Windsor on the ice and probably impacted where Windsor finished in the standings.

Yes London has gotten away with 1 OA but we have all watched and the ones carrying London are the 17 year olds Rupert hat trick, Tierney GW last night, Domi a couple goals in the OHL Finals. If you have a terrific crop of 17 year olds that can fill the void you can survive without the top OA's. The concern on my part is that the guys that are dominating for London will all be back in 13/14.

We will see about this draft but for the past year I said their past 2 drafts were not good and I was told I was dead wrong and Rychel is still a terrific drafter. If people think this draft is better already then that tells me the past 2 drafts haven't been good.

I do think Plymouth goes by a different model, they trumpet 20 straight playoff years and always being in the mix. Yes their season did not go as people thought but once again I think they look to be in better shape this upcoming season than this past year. Vellucci still goes out and gets Ryan Hartman. I never said Rychel is bad I just think he needs to either find his fastball again or find something else because we both agreed Windsor doesn't look to be near the top in the west next year either.
Re the Knights

U are correct about the young guys being there for London in 2013/14 though I doubt the best of them all Ollie Mataa will be there
Their defence and goaltending as it projects to 2012/2013 is iffy at best,especially if Mataa graduates early as most hockey people expect
They also wont have the likes of Knight,Watson,Griffith,Houser,Mckegg,Cook,Tinordi and Harrington to go along with
Those players above plus Namestikov are what teams are focusing on thus leaving them open for the lack of a better word
No such ciushion will happen in 2013/14
As I have stated before the Knights are set up for this and next year,not so much so for 2013/14,although I admit they will be strong up front for that year too
As for Plymouth for next year,if there is no Nhl lockout/strike they will be very thin on the backend
Losing Schmitz,Levi and Troutman is devastasting, if Miller or Noesen leave they wont be as strong as u think,solid yes,powerful no
As for Rychel"s drafting the 2 years prior to this while not the best,Webermin turned out to be a bad pick,though not much differnet then the Whales taking Iafrate the same year and trading him,or when the Knights chose Tireney instead of Wilson his last nigts heroics not withstanding
My point being drafting not an exact science,mistakes made by all teams and windsor is no exception
The cupboards were bare pick wise the last 2 seasons,the price u pay for success and more full this year thru recouping picks
I dont have an overall problem with because of the success rate,I am sure 19 other teams would be happy with 2 mem cups, a final 4, a playoff spot garnering a generational player picking 5th is enviable and not to be overlooked

Old
05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
WindsorGirl

Quote:
That depends legend. If the Knights win 2 more playoff games they will have won more playoff games than Windsor since Rychel took over.
Could that be because, other than this year's sweep of Windsor in the first round and of Kitchener in the 3rd round, the Knights take the longer road to get to the same place? If I recall correctly, Windsor had at least 5 sweeps in their 2 mem cup runs.... Winning more playoff games =/= more success. In 2009/10, Windsor played 19 games on the way to winning their ohl title. In 2011/12, London has played 17 games so far, and has to win a minimum of 2 more (19 games) to get to their ohl final. Yet, if they had swept the Ice Dogs or Saginaw, they would have less playoff wins, so would that mean they are less successful? Nope. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get the 16 wins needed to finish it up.

Quote:
I never said Rychel is bad I just think he needs to either find his fastball again or find something else because we both agreed Windsor doesn't look to be near the top in the west next year either.
You may never actually come out and say it, but the absolute negativity of your posts regarding Rychel make your opinion of him quite loud and clear.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
I agree Rychel is terrible and should be put out to pasture.
Well obviously. Out to pasture and beaten with a big schtick.

Quote:
I do think Plymouth goes by a different model, they trumpet 20 straight playoff years and always being in the mix.
I believe that's called mediocrity. But then again, judging on championships is too harsh. I guess it would be wrong to criticize the fact Vellucci did nothing at the deadline and underachieved. But that's okay since he's building towards this year. He's like a more successful Todd Watson but with a job.

I guess only Rychel faces the Rayzor sharp criticism as opposed to the dull, meandering measurement of success used for Hunter and Vellucci since winning a lot of games carries more weight that winning a lot championships.

Keeping beating that schtick.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Re the Knights

U are correct about the young guys being there for London in 2013/14 though I doubt the best of them all Ollie Mataa will be there
Their defence and goaltending as it projects to 2012/2013 is iffy at best,especially if Mataa graduates early as most hockey people expect
They also wont have the likes of Knight,Watson,Griffith,Houser,Mckegg,Cook,Tinordi and Harrington to go along with
Those players above plus Namestikov are what teams are focusing on thus leaving them open for the lack of a better word
No such ciushion will happen in 2013/14
As I have stated before the Knights are set up for this and next year,not so much so for 2013/14,although I admit they will be strong up front for that year too
As for Plymouth for next year,if there is no Nhl lockout/strike they will be very thin on the backend
Losing Schmitz,Levi and Troutman is devastasting, if Miller or Noesen leave they wont be as strong as u think,solid yes,powerful no
As for Rychel"s drafting the 2 years prior to this while not the best,Webermin turned out to be a bad pick,though not much differnet then the Whales taking Iafrate the same year and trading him,or when the Knights chose Tireney instead of Wilson his last nigts heroics not withstanding
My point being drafting not an exact science,mistakes made by all teams and windsor is no exception
The cupboards were bare pick wise the last 2 seasons,the price u pay for success and more full this year thru recouping picks
I dont have an overall problem with because of the success rate,I am sure 19 other teams would be happy with 2 mem cups, a final 4, a playoff spot garnering a generational player picking 5th is enviable and not to be overlooked
I still think Plymouth is in a better situation even with those losses on D. I think Truttman is replaceable in the import draft or elsewhere. I think Levi is a big loss, never been a big fan of Schmitz. He never really delivered on that 1st round position he stayed 4 years. He finally delivered in his OA year but they probably have the assets to make a move. Returning Malysa, Crombeen, McDonald isn't a bad trio to start with. As I said before I am not sold on those guys going pro yet there's no need to get them in the AHL or NHL yet. If those guys do return I could see a guy like Meurs dealt for a veteran D which would help. Plymouth should target a guy like DeMelo or Percy and do what it takes to get one of them. They're 2 of the top 10returning D in the league. Heck Windsor should show interest in one of them considering how poor their D has been lately.

I just get the idea too much of an emphasis is being put on the run year and not 12/13. As the saying goes you're only as good as your last season. We can talk about the generational talent like Ho-Sang but right now Hartman is probably better than Ho-Sang.

Closed Thread