HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Well obviously. Out to pasture and beaten with a big schtick.

I believe that's called mediocrity. But then again, judging on championships is too harsh. I guess it would be wrong to criticize the fact Vellucci did nothing at the deadline and underachieved. But that's okay since he's building towards this year. He's like a more successful Todd Watson but with a job.

I guess only Rychel faces the Rayzor sharp criticism as opposed to the dull, meandering measurement of success used for Hunter and Vellucci since winning a lot of games carries more weight that winning a lot championships.

Keeping beating that schtick.
If it's mediocrity in Plymouth how is Vellucci able to keep on bringing in guys like Miller and Hartman. Is he giving them some snake oil? If it was mediocrity these players wouldn't be going there in my mind. Let's be honest the biggest recruiting get Windsor has gotten along the lines of a Miller or Hartman is Jack Campbell and he committed to Windsor back in November of 09. We are talking 2.5 years now since Rychel has gotten a huge fish. Johnson was nice but I think we would agree that he's not in that class. If I keep beating that schtick you can pat Rychel on the back for an 8 seed? Deal?

Old
05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorGirl View Post
Could that be because, other than this year's sweep of Windsor in the first round and of Kitchener in the 3rd round, the Knights take the longer road to get to the same place? If I recall correctly, Windsor had at least 5 sweeps in their 2 mem cup runs.... Winning more playoff games =/= more success. In 2009/10, Windsor played 19 games on the way to winning their ohl title. In 2011/12, London has played 17 games so far, and has to win a minimum of 2 more (19 games) to get to their ohl final. Yet, if they had swept the Ice Dogs or Saginaw, they would have less playoff wins, so would that mean they are less successful? Nope. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get the 16 wins needed to finish it up.

You may never actually come out and say it, but the absolute negativity of your posts regarding Rychel make your opinion of him quite loud and clear.
When I say total wins it doesn't matter how many games you played. Playoff wins since Rychel took over for Windsor/London.

London 8
Windsor 0

London 1
Windsor 1

London 9
Windsor 16

London 7
Windsor 16

London 2
Windsor 9

London 14
Windsor 0

Total wins
London 41
Windsor 42

Old
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I still think Plymouth is in a better situation even with those losses on D. I think Truttman is replaceable in the import draft or elsewhere. I think Levi is a big loss, never been a big fan of Schmitz. He never really delivered on that 1st round position he stayed 4 years. He finally delivered in his OA year but they probably have the assets to make a move. Returning Malysa, Crombeen, McDonald isn't a bad trio to start with. As I said before I am not sold on those guys going pro yet there's no need to get them in the AHL or NHL yet. If those guys do return I could see a guy like Meurs dealt for a veteran D which would help. Plymouth should target a guy like DeMelo or Percy and do what it takes to get one of them. They're 2 of the top 10returning D in the league. Heck Windsor should show interest in one of them considering how poor their D has been lately.

I just get the idea too much of an emphasis is being put on the run year and not 12/13. As the saying goes you're only as good as your last season. We can talk about the generational talent like Ho-Sang but right now Hartman is probably better than Ho-Sang.
I would love to have either Percy or DeMelo on Windsor"s defence thought I doubt Missy will trade either
I am surprised u think so highly re the Whalers,yes real good upfront,1 good goalie and a very questionable defence
The 3 u write about are not as good as Posa,Braithwaite,Ebert,Bateman and Devlin
If Seiloff comes thens its no comparison,
As for Hartman he does have 2 years on HoSang age wise,though at the end of the day I feel HoSang is indeed the real deal and he will show it
I dont get the feeling that the club is de-emphasizing this year,mge and staff are determined to show considerable improvement,and there is room for improvement from everybody returning.
I dont think the team will sell the farm to be great this year and they should not
I am looking for improvement not to be dominant at least not yet

Old
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
WindsorGirl

Quote:
When I say total wins it doesn't matter how many games you played. Playoff wins since Rychel took over for Windsor/London.

London 8
Windsor 0
Rychel & company buy team. Blow team up. Start over. Miss playoffs. Have dismal season (which isn't nearly as bad as the Knights 3 win season), Draft Hall.

Quote:
London 1
Windsor 1
Suffer tragic death of Captain. Run into hot Sarnia player Steven Stamkos (yes, 60 goal scorer Steven Stamkos). Lose in first round.

Quote:
London 9
Windsor 16
Win Mem cup. Enough said.

Quote:
London 7
Windsor 16
Win 2nd Mem cup. Enough said.

Quote:
London 2
Windsor 9
OHL final four in what started out as a rebuilding year.

Quote:
London 14
Windsor 0
Rebuilding year. Achieved stated goal of making playoffs.

Not too shabby as far as I am concerned.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would love to have either Percy or DeMelo on Windsor"s defence thought I doubt Missy will trade either
I am surprised u think so highly re the Whalers,yes real good upfront,1 good goalie and a very questionable defence
The 3 u write about are not as good as Posa,Braithwaite,Ebert,Bateman and Devlin
As for Hartman he does have 2 years on HoSang age wise,though at the end of the day I feel HoSang is indeed the real deal and he will show it
I dont get the feeling that the club is de-emphasizing this year,mge and staff are determined to show considerable improvement,and there is room for improvement from everybody returning.
I dont think the team will sell the farm to be great this year and they should not

I dont think the Spits are thought as any less then previous years,Miller and Hartman and Campbell were drafted players while Ben Johnson was signed as a free agent,a big difference,nhl scouts love him and I expect big improvement from him this coming year
Hartman is the same age and I expect Johnson's numbers to be comparable
Things go in cycles,player options are more different now then ever

Old
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
right now Czinder, Posa and Braithwaite is no great shakes
Gotta remember that we're not likely to have the Mitchell's, Timmins', or Hall's of the hockey world as OAs anytime soon. Sure, there might be some good ones out there, but who's going to help us? A talented OA isn't always golden on the ice, but golden in the room, too. Posa is a shining example of that.

Quote:
If the Knights win 2 more playoff games they will have won more playoff games than Windsor since Rychel took over.
Let me know when London makes the Memorial Cup back-to-back and the Western Final the year after. I'd take what Rychel has done in a heartbeat over what Hunter has done.

Quote:
never been a big fan of Schmitz
50 points this year with a +37 rating. Meh.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
You won't get me to say that Braithwaite and Devlin are better than Crombeen. In fact if Devlin this upcoming year has the year Crombeen had I think everybody would be estatic. I am fine with Ebert, even Posa and to a lesser extent Bateman. Not sold on Braithwaite he's never been a plus player in his OHL career and he's now headed to his OA season. He hasn't been on great teams but let's be honest after 4 years in the OHL and looking at your 5th season you are what you are. He's not going to be a top shutdown pairing D guy after not delivering the past 4 years.

I don't think they have to sell the farm but they need to make the impression they are serious about being a top bidder for the Memorial Cup and for the public that means having a top team this year. As you said player options are different than they were in the past but that means Windsor has to adjust to that. I don't think you can just go up to a kid and say "hey look we won a Memorial Cup in 09 and 10 come play for our team." The kid will want to know why haven't they won in the past couple years. Will I end up playing for a good coach in Boughner or will he leave before I finish my junior career? Those are honest questions to ask and I think the second one is the biggest. London will be interesting because Hunter left midseason but in Kitchener and Plymouth we all know Spott and Vellucci aren't going anywhere. London had the Hunter angle as well that he wasn't going anywhere but as soon as Windsor had 2 straight years Boughner bolted. Say for instance a kid like Schmaltz wanted to come now but wanted to know if Boughner was going to be there as long as he would be there. Can Rychel and Boughner give him the honest answer?

Last edited by RayzorIsDull: 05-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
You won't get me to say that Braithwaite and Devlin are better than Crombeen. In fact if Devlin this upcoming year has the year Crombeen had I think everybody would be estatic. I am fine with Ebert, even Posa and to a lesser extent Bateman. Not sold on Braithwaite he's never been a plus player in his OHL career and he's now headed to his OA season. He hasn't been on great teams but let's be honest after 4 years in the OHL and looking at your 5th season you are what you are. He's not going to be a top shutdown pairing D guy after not delivering the past 4 years.

I don't think they have to sell the farm but they need to make the impression they are serious about being a top bidder for the Memorial Cup and for the public that means having a top team this year. As you said player options are different than they were in the past but that means Windsor has to adjust to that. I don't think you can just go up to a kid and say "hey look we won a Memorial Cup in 09 and 10 come play for our team." The kid will want to know why haven't they won in the past couple years. Will I end up playing for a good coach in Boughner or will he leave before I finish my junior career? Those are honest questions to ask and I think the second one is the biggest. London will be interesting because Hunter left midseason but if in Kitchener and Plymouth we all know Spott and Vellucci aren't going anywhere. London had the Hunter angle as well that he wasn't going anywhere but as soon as Windsor had 2 straight years Boughner bolted. Say for instance a kid like Schmaltz wanted to come now but wanted to know if Boughner was going to be there as long as he would be there. Can Rychel and Boughner give him the honest answer?
Rayzor

If players are going to ask why u have not won in a couple years,what does that say about London,Plymouth and Kitcheners responses to the same question
London 7 years,Kitchener 5 and counting and Plymouth famine lol

Old
05-08-2012, 03:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Gotta remember that we're not likely to have the Mitchell's, Timmins', or Hall's of the hockey world as OAs anytime soon. Sure, there might be some good ones out there, but who's going to help us? A talented OA isn't always golden on the ice, but golden in the room, too. Posa is a shining example of that.

Let me know when London makes the Memorial Cup back-to-back and the Western Final the year after. I'd take what Rychel has done in a heartbeat over what Hunter has done.

50 points this year with a +37 rating. Meh.
Yes guys good in the room are important but a winning team helps the mood in the room more than having a good leadership guy. Braithwaite wasn't around all year but these 3 OA's returning contributed 21 total goals on a team that was 2nd fewest goals in the western conference and 2 of these OA's are on D which ranked 15th in GA in the OHL. If Rychel really wanted to send a message Braithwaite and Czinder wouldn't even be coming to camp the only guy back should be Posa.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Rayzor

If players are going to ask why u have not won in a couple years,what does that say about London,Plymouth and Kitcheners responses to the same question
London 7 years,Kitchener 5 and counting and Plymouth famine lol
I don't think London has recruited real well recently back in 08/09 season guys like Carlson and Knight bought in. Tinordi 2 years ago but for the most part it's not like London has been a recruiting juggernaut I think they realized the model changed for them. You would have to ask guys like Schmitz who left usdp, Miller and Hartman why they wanted to go there. Kitchener just got Gibson and he was terrific maybe they get Trouba but I am sure you would admit the recruiting hasn't been at a peak for Windsor like it was in 09 when Watson committed, 4 months later Fowler committed and a few months later after that Campbell and Ryan were on board. Like you said it's cyclical but the well is becoming dry in Windsor.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yes guys good in the room are important but a winning team helps the mood in the room more than having a good leadership guy. Braithwaite wasn't around all year but these 3 OA's returning contributed 21 total guys on a team that was 2nd fewest goals in the western conference and 2 of these OA's are on D which ranked 15th in GA in the OHL. If Rychel really wanted to send a message Braithwaite and Czinder wouldn't even be coming to camp the only guy back should be Posa.

Because of an overall shortage in O/A period let alone quality ones I have no problem

inviting Czinder and Braithwaite to camp,before deciding to keep 1 or both

Czinder was one of the most improved players last year going from 2 goals to 15 and th

then adding 2 in 4 games in the playoffs

He does play well off the boards similar to what Ritchie does with Niagara

and because the cycle game is in these days it suits his game

Admittedly I would like him to play tougher and I know the Spits would like him to be

meaner

As for Braithwaite he is a serviceable D-man,while he has been a minus player career

wise all his teams have beem minus teams so its tough to pin it on him alone

D-men are a commodity not to be taken lightly

Old
05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I don't think London has recruited real well recently back in 08/09 season guys like Carlson and Knight bought in. Tinordi 2 years ago but for the most part it's not like London has been a recruiting juggernaut I think they realized the model changed for them. You would have to ask guys like Schmitz who left usdp, Miller and Hartman why they wanted to go there. Kitchener just got Gibson and he was terrific maybe they get Trouba but I am sure you would admit the recruiting hasn't been at a peak for Windsor like it was in 09 when Watson committed, 4 months later Fowler committed and a few months later after that Campbell and Ryan were on board. Like you said it's cyclical but the well is becoming dry in Windsor.
The well wont be considered dry should they land 1 of Barber,Seiloff, or Deguiseppe

would it?

Old
05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The well wont be considered dry should they land 1 of Barber,Seiloff, or Deguiseppe

would it?
If they got 2 it wouldn't be dry for sure but if they got 1 it might have a trickle of water left. As I said to somebody else if DiGiuseppe didn't want to go play for a contender in Niagara or heck even jump ship and play for Windsor after the trade I don't have much hope on that one. We will see on Barber and Seiloff, somebody better be doing that recruiting.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Another pt to add re the becoming dry well,the Whlales added Miller last year,the Spits

Johnson,who may go in the 2nd,probably 3rd,this year the whales add hartman,we dont

know yet whether Windsor gets Seiloff,Barber and Deguiseppe,if they land 1

I dont see the well as dry as u make it out to be

Old
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Yes guys good in the room are important but a winning team helps the mood in the room more than having a good leadership guy.
...and a good leadership guy helps the team mood, which improves morale on the ice, which improves records. It's a circle.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
...and a good leadership guy helps the team mood, which improves morale on the ice, which improves records. It's a circle.
Didn't seem to help this year... Need talent to win and I will put it this way I have never seen a good team say the leadership was poor and I have never seen a bad team say the leadership was good.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Didn't seem to help this year... Need talent to win and I will put it this way I have never seen a good team say the leadership was poor and I have never seen a bad team say the leadership was good.
I think it depends on what your definition of "help" is. If you take Braithwaite, Posa, and Cullen out of the room, does the team make the playoffs? I don't think so. Being able to take a completely rebuilding squad, after the last three years, and make the playoffs, is pretty impressive.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
jughead42

Rayzor never used to be such a Rychel hater, there's ample evidence of the guy talking highly of his prowess as a GM during the old days. Check out this gem from the 2nd memorial cup season, shortly after we made the deal for Cantin, Johnson and Grubauer:

Quote:
I never wish bad upon any Spitfire with the exception of Akim Aliu. I wish Blacker would have been more patient but players have to make the choice they believe is best. Instead of being upset at Blacker I prefer to laud Rychel for his ability to draft. Here are all his draft picks either drafted or about to be drafted.

Nemisz
Henrique
Cundari-contract
Wellwood
Hackett
Hall
Ellis
Blacker
Wilson
Yogan
Ryan
Fowler
Watson
Johns
Campbell

Granted not all got drafted out of Windsor but his scouts sure have an eye for talent.
I especially love the part about Aliu, and agree 100% with everything he says. I know lately he's been down on Rychel quite a bit, but he wasn't always such a debbie downer about things.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
If it's mediocrity in Plymouth how is Vellucci able to keep on bringing in guys like Miller and Hartman. Is he giving them some snake oil?
I would look at it the opposite way. Plymouth should be able to snag a USNTDP player every year. They have the greatest natural advantages.

1. Proximity. They are not even 15 min away from the Ice Cube. Hell, players probably don't even have to change school districts in moving to a billet.

2. An American team. With that being said, there is not that fear of sending a child to Canada. As much as people might like to think the world is a more open place, we are talking about a pretty clueless state in the nation of "me". It always amazes me the things I hear in The States.

3. Carolina. The Canes draft a lot of so so Plymouth players and that unique pipeline can easily be spun as deal breaker. Perhaps even written into a contract?

With the issues Merrill was having at Michigan and the fact he was at a Plymouth game, how did Vellucci not seal that deal? That should have been a layup.

So again, from my point of view, Plymouth does have success but yet again, underachieves.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
I would look at it the opposite way. Plymouth should be able to snag a USNTDP player every year. They have the greatest natural advantages.

1. Proximity. They are not even 15 min away from the Ice Cube. Hell, players probably don't even have to change school districts in moving to a billet.

2. An American team. With that being said, there is not that fear of sending a child to Canada. As much as people might like to think the world is a more open place, we are talking about a pretty clueless state in the nation of "me". It always amazes me the things I hear in The States.

3. Carolina. The Canes draft a lot of so so Plymouth players and that unique pipeline can easily be spun as deal breaker. Perhaps even written into a contract?

With the issues Merrill was having at Michigan and the fact he was at a Plymouth game, how did Vellucci not seal that deal? That should have been a layup.

So again, from my point of view, Plymouth does have success but yet again, underachieves.
I agree with this but proximity should work in Windsor's favor as well. The Merrill issue goes deeper than just trying to seal the deal. There would have been a lot of problems if he had come to Plymouth. He was very close to getting kicked out of school. He's battling some maturity issues that would be the best way to put it.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think it depends on what your definition of "help" is. If you take Braithwaite, Posa, and Cullen out of the room, does the team make the playoffs? I don't think so. Being able to take a completely rebuilding squad, after the last three years, and make the playoffs, is pretty impressive.
Cullen added nothing to this team except being the class clown, his numbers were absolutely horrible. I could make the case if Windsor upgraded their OA situation and dumped Cullen they would have finished better in the standings. I guess you can pat Rychel on the back for being one of the eight teams in a ten team conference to make the playoffs. As Boughner said back in 07 you have to be real bad to miss the playoffs in the OHL there's no excuse to ever miss the playoffs.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Cullen added nothing to this team except being the class clown, his numbers were absolutely horrible. I could make the case if Windsor upgraded their OA situation and dumped Cullen they would have finished better in the standings. I guess you can pat Rychel on the back for being one of the eight teams in a ten team conference to make the playoffs. As Boughner said back in 07 you have to be real bad to miss the playoffs in the OHL there's no excuse to ever miss the playoffs.
11-14, 2 SO, GAA under 4. Not horrible, though not great, and the last game probably didn't help matters at all.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Libbs

Quote:
But making it 20 years in a row is considered some big accomplishment?

Old
05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
OHLTG

Per Spitfires' Facebook -

Ho-Sang and Verbeek have been signed to contracts and educational scholarships.

HO-SANG & VERBEEK SIGN CONTRACTS

Dave Ducharme WindsorSpitfires.com

Forwards Josh Ho-Sang and Ryan Verbeek have inked OHL hockey and scholarship packages.

Ho-Sang was Windsor's first-round selection, fifth overall, in last month's draft. The 5'11", 160-pound speedster is coming off an outstanding season with the Toronto Marlboros, scoring 31 goals and adding 48 assists.

Verbeek was selected in the third round, 47th overall. Last season with the Lambton Jr Sting, the 6', 185-pound winger put up 20 goals and 10 assists with 49 penalty minutes.

Rychel says both players are big pieces of the club's future.

"We're very proud to welcome two quality, young players like Josh and Ryan to the Spitfires family," Rychel told windsorspitfires.com. "I expect to see great things from both of these players and I'm excited to have them join our hockey club."

Old
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
big papa

Quote:
Per Spitfires' Facebook -

Ho-Sang and Verbeek have been signed to contracts and educational scholarships.

HO-SANG & VERBEEK SIGN CONTRACTS

Dave Ducharme WindsorSpitfires.com

Forwards Josh Ho-Sang and Ryan Verbeek have inked OHL hockey and scholarship packages.

Ho-Sang was Windsor's first-round selection, fifth overall, in last month's draft. The 5'11", 160-pound speedster is coming off an outstanding season with the Toronto Marlboros, scoring 31 goals and adding 48 assists.

Verbeek was selected in the third round, 47th overall. Last season with the Lambton Jr Sting, the 6', 185-pound winger put up 20 goals and 10 assists with 49 penalty minutes.

Rychel says both players are big pieces of the club's future.

"We're very proud to welcome two quality, young players like Josh and Ryan to the Spitfires family," Rychel told windsorspitfires.com. "I expect to see great things from both of these players and I'm excited to have them join our hockey club."
So far that makes Sanvido, Ho-Sang and Verbeek signed. would have to guess Brown will be signed soon and be sent down to Junior B somewhere close to home while Verbeek will likely play in Sarnia's Junior B Team untill WR can clear up a spot on the 4th Line.

Closed Thread