HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
I think Rychel and Boughner want to remake the defence - it was brutal last season. And to remake it you need to move guys out. I suspect they want one or both of Sanvido and Brown to make the team.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I think Rychel and Boughner want to remake the defence - it was brutal last season. And to remake it you need to move guys out. I suspect they want one or both of Sanvido and Brown to make the team.
I agree that the defence is a huge priority right now. What's disappointing is if it's true about Devlin you could say Rychel got taken to the cleaners. A 2nd rounder in 2013? Rychel spun it as having to give up a lot more than that when he would be 19. The only thing that saved the 10-11 D of Windsor was Ryan Ellis. This year the D was just terrible. Rychel and Boughner either need to find their next Ryan Ellis which is probably doubtful or start finding better D overall.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree that the defence is a huge priority right now. What's disappointing is if it's true about Devlin you could say Rychel got taken to the cleaners. A 2nd rounder in 2013? Rychel spun it as having to give up a lot more than that when he would be 19. The only thing that saved the 10-11 D of Windsor was Ryan Ellis. This year the D was just terrible. Rychel and Boughner either need to find their next Ryan Ellis which is probably doubtful or start finding better D overall.
While we need a PP QB, Ryan Ellis is a once in a decade type talent. We need to find a Cundari and Cantin. Look at the Knights - we need our Harrington and Tinordi.

If Sieloff comes over, that would be a huge get for us.

I'd still look to trade Ebert - I just don't think his hockey feel/IQ is high enough to be a good hockey player. He has all the physical tools, but he doesn't seem to feel the game. Problem being is that we'd be selling low on him as well. Rychel would have to admit to another mistake - Webermin, Devlin and Ebert all within half a year.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
izzys

maybe we move Braithwaite , devlin, and ebert

bring in seloff, hagg and Sanvido

that would be a great upgrade in its self plus getting picks in return and then use those picks next year to get top end players

Old
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
While we need a PP QB, Ryan Ellis is a once in a decade type talent. We need to find a Cundari and Cantin. Look at the Knights - we need our Harrington and Tinordi.

If Sieloff comes over, that would be a huge get for us.

I'd still look to trade Ebert - I just don't think his hockey feel/IQ is high enough to be a good hockey player. He has all the physical tools, but he doesn't seem to feel the game. Problem being is that we'd be selling low on him as well. Rychel would have to admit to another mistake - Webermin, Devlin and Ebert all within half a year.
Let's be realistic here with Ebert, we all agree he didn't have a very good year but he still might have been the 2nd best D on Windsor this year behind Posa. Yes they need to work on the PP but as of now Ebert is the only one that count on to man one of the points. He was 12th in the league this year for D scoring. After Ebert next highest scoring D was Posa with 20, not including Robertson or Braithwaite. If Ebert's gone it's safe to say you would probably get very little offensive production from the blueline even if Seiloff came in. You can admit you made a mistake on Devlin healthy scratch in the playoffs, abused by a 16 yr in Horvat in another game probably won't be drafted this year either cut your losses now.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
maybe we move Braithwaite , devlin, and ebert

bring in seloff, hagg and Sanvido

that would be a great upgrade in its self plus getting picks in return and then use those picks next year to get top end players
So trading away veteran OHL defensemen and replacing them with three rookies including a 16 yr old that looks to be a suspect skater (based on rookie orientation), that will be a "great upgrade" for this season? This is the epitome of overrating prospects and relying on "expert opinions" versus what you've actually seen.

Quote:
I'd still look to trade Ebert - I just don't think his hockey feel/IQ is high enough to be a good hockey player. He has all the physical tools, but he doesn't seem to feel the game.
It's time for people to get over the fact that Ebert was vastly overrated. I totally agree that his hockey IQ is brutal but at the OHL level, his physical assets are enough to make him a top four defensemen on any team. Trading him away makes no sense especially if the complaint is about how weak the blueline was.

I wonder if the calls for Ebert's head change if he's drafted in the top three rounds?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
So trading away veteran OHL defensemen and replacing them with three rookies including a 16 yr old that looks to be a suspect skater (based on rookie orientation), that will be a "great upgrade" for this season? This is the epitome of overrating prospects and relying on "expert opinions" versus what you've actually seen.

It's time for people to get over the fact that Ebert was vastly overrated. I totally agree that his hockey IQ is brutal but at the OHL level, his physical assets are enough to make him a top four defensemen on any team. Trading him away makes no sense especially if the complaint is about how weak the blueline was.

I wonder if the calls for Ebert's head change if he's drafted in the top three rounds?
I agree with the premise of your post that being said going by what has been said about Haag and Seiloff both would be upgrades on Braithwaite and Devlin. I would definitely hold off on putting Sanvido in there as you said he's 16 years old.

I am still surprised to see people confident on Seiloff. The guy isn't like Seth Jones who already committed to Portland and signed with them. Pencil Seiloff in when he signs on the dotted line with Windsor.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Raisy

I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to deal Braithwaite, I'd rather have him return than Posa.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Just before the Import Draft if I'm not mistaken. When that's is I have no idea but June 1 sounds reasonable.
The import draft is a week after the NHL draft and Sence the Memorial cup ends on the 27th i could see the Trade Window Open some time between June 1-10th. If im not mistake if the Import draft is on the 30th then the trade Window will close on the 29th and re-open on July 1st

Old
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to deal Braithwaite, I'd rather have him return than Posa.
I think people were expecting more from Braithwaite and with him and Posa being pretty even I think many prefer Posa, being known over Braithwaite who was expected to be something different.

If they moved Posa then any return over a 15th round pick shows the Spits come out on top since a 15th round pick brought 3 years of service plus whatever they get in return while dealing Braithwaite would look like a loss in the deal since they likely won't get what they used to aquire him for half a season.

Personally I feel a couple of the flyer picks/aquisitions will show up this season and next but I do agree that adding Seilof or any one else to the line up before more substabtial info comes out is a bit premature.

Ebert is a tough one as to see him dealt or not. He started off, before Ellis came back pretty decent and showed lots of improvement as his first season progressed. He plateaued after the first half, which is expected for a 16 year old but he went downhill last season. Does his draft status/position change his level of play or was he just not as good as many expected him to be? He still has the ability to play in this league as a top 4 but will he have more value in a deal or is Windsor better doing what they can with him/put him in a position where they can play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses? Until the NHL draft I would imagine his value in a deal is unknown and limited to a certain extent but does it drop after that point or does it improve based on where he is drafted? A lot of questions surrounding him right now. Hopefully, if he does return to Windsor he comes back in a better physical and mental state with something to prove.

Devlin to me amounts to another Braithwaite/Posa comparison between him and Ebert. If they both pan out then they could both be big contributors but does Windsor want to take chances on two players that appear to be big risk/big reward if there are other possibilities out there in Seilof or whoever they may be able to get to report?

Czinder is disappointing to say the least. The kid has the potential to fill a much needed role but everytime you think he is about to become more consistent at it he disappears. I can understand trading him but I do feel if they do it will come back on them somewhat this year. If they keep him I can also see him moving along the same as last year, some basic improvement will be obvious but not enough to justify keeping him.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Braithwaite wasn't that good with Windsor last year. He hasn't really been that good in his OHL career as 25th pick overall by Peterborough in 08 he has 13g 60a -43 in 215 career games, he has played in 13 total playoff games.

Saverio Posa in 169 career games 6g 29a -3, he has played in 23 playoff games 8 assists. Considering where Posa came from as a real late pick and has experienced some success in his OHL career I would rather have him around than Braithwaite.

I would like to know what Braithwaite has done in his 4 year career thus far to show he should be back as an OA. Personally if it was my choice neither Braithwaite or Posa would be back but if you choose one it needs to be Posa.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
big papa

Hagg is like most Players his age and play in the Sweedish Elete leauge against Men much like other Sweedish D-man did when they were 15-18. Look at Maata in London he is just a rookie and runs London's Power play. It will Benifit the team to have Sanvido, Brown and Maybe McNaughton to play.

Posa-Devlin
Hagg-Bateman
McNaughton-Sanvido or Brown

I think Ebert will be traded for for a Top-six forward that didnt do much last season much like Ebert didnt do much. Braithwaite if Traded then it would be to a team that is looking for a long playoff run in my mind. While Devlin looked so-so at time this season and i think they wait the first 15-20 games before they decide what to do with Devlin and have Sanvido and Brown play for the 6th Spot while having one of them Play Junior B. as For Bowen i think they might move him up Front or Trade him

Old
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Braithwaite wasn't that good with Windsor last year. He hasn't really been that good in his OHL career as 25th pick overall by Peterborough in 08 he has 13g 60a -43 in 215 career games, he has played in 13 total playoff games.

Saverio Posa in 169 career games 6g 29a -3, he has played in 23 playoff games 8 assists. Considering where Posa came from as a real late pick and has experienced some success in his OHL career I would rather have him around than Braithwaite.

I would like to know what Braithwaite has done in his 4 year career thus far to show he should be back as an OA. Personally if it was my choice neither Braithwaite or Posa would be back but if you choose one it needs to be Posa.
Braithwaite has likely played more minutes on his teams than Posa and his teams have been worse, which explains the difference in +/-.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Braithwaite is head and shoulders better, but I thought he was just as good defensively and much more physical than Posa.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Sec108

[QUOTE=Raisy;50005441]I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to deal Braithwaite, I'd rather have him return than Posa.[/QUOTE

Id have to agree with that statement.

what was our D's prob last season???

1 not physical enough
2 not paying the price ex.blocking shots
3 scared of the dirty areas

most notorious.....ebert & devlin sometimes bateman.

Bring in Sanvido and Brown and hope to get Seiloff and Hagg.show some guys the door/trades.Keep Brathwaite , sorry not that loyal to Posa.

Lets get the young guys ready for 14'/15' maybe not next yr.

If we keep Pav and Dekort backup and Ho Sang will add to our offense we will be ok IMO.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Sec108

I wonder if the calls for Ebert's head change if he's drafted in the top three rounds?[/QUOTE]

If Ebert is drafted in the first three rounds, I'll eat my leftover last season playoff tickets.....lol

IMO Ebert will be this drafts Duinicke for the spits.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Hearing any possible takers?
Nope. Was just told that Czinder's name has been brought up.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
OHLTG

I don't get the hate for either Braithe or Posa. Neither is going to be a stud offensively, and neither is going to be Scott Stevens with their physical play. What they'll provide, though, is reliable defence, some offence, some physicality, and good leadership in the room. Both are under-rated to me.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

If Ebert is drafted in the first three rounds, I'll eat my leftover last season playoff tickets.....lol

IMO Ebert will be this drafts Duinicke for the spits.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be that sure that Ebert doesn't eek into the late 3rd. I mean he was talked up as a high first this time last year. Sure he laid an egg for the most part, but all the physical tools are there that scouts liked a year ago.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

IMO Ebert will be this drafts Duinicke for the spits.
Quote:
I wouldn't be that sure that Ebert doesn't eek into the late 3rd. I mean he was talked up as a high first this time last year. Sure he laid an egg for the most part, but all the physical tools are there that scouts liked a year ago.
Most scouts that I have talked too see him as a late second or mid to high third. Doesnt mean hes being drafted there, but scouts see the talent.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't get the hate for either Braithe or Posa. Neither is going to be a stud offensively, and neither is going to be Scott Stevens with their physical play. What they'll provide, though, is reliable defence, some offence, some physicality, and good leadership in the room. Both are under-rated to me.
I didn't think Braithwaite was that good in his own zone. It's interesting you think Braithwaite is underrated because Rychel paid a premium price for Braithwaite. Why do you need two of these guys though?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I didn't think Braithwaite was that good in his own zone. It's interesting you think Braithwaite is underrated because Rychel paid a premium price for Braithwaite. Why do you need two of these guys though?
I'd take him over a rookie at this point, mainly for the experience. Braithwaite reminds me a bit of Shutron; not flashy, but not bad.

Old
05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Just to change the subject a little, thought it was encouraging to see that Ben Johnson had no goals and 4 assists in his 1st 23 games. Next 45 games, he recorded 18 goals, and 16 assists for 34 pts. I think theres no reason why this guy cant be a 35 plus goal guy and 70pt plus player for us this up coming year. Also he was 1 of 5 spits to play in all 68 games last year.In some weird way, when u watch him, he kind of reminds me of steve ott .Whats every1 else think?

Old
05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
Just to change the subject a little, thought it was encouraging to see that Ben Johnson had no goals and 4 assists in his 1st 23 games. Next 45 games, he recorded 18 goals, and 16 assists for 34 pts. I think theres no reason why this guy cant be a 35 plus goal guy and 70pt plus player for us this up coming year. Also he was 1 of 5 spits to play in all 68 games last year.In some weird way, when u watch him, he kind of reminds me of steve ott .Whats every1 else think?
I agree but he also reminds me of Eric Wellwood they way that he Skates and Competes

Old
05-23-2012, 11:00 PM
OHLTG

He's Eric Wellwood meets Steve Ott; Wellwood's speed and finishing ability with Ott's knack for pi$$ing everyone off within 100 feet of him.

I said this before the season and I'll say it now...Johnson will score 50 in a season in this league before he's done.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
He's Eric Wellwood meets Steve Ott; Wellwood's speed and finishing ability with Ott's knack for pi$$ing everyone off within 100 feet of him.

I said this before the season and I'll say it now...Johnson will score 50 in a season in this league before he's done.
Never... sorry but thats an unrealistic expectation. He may have 40 in him in 2 years but thats it.

Closed Thread