Notices

New Jets Fan checking in.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
New Jets Fan checking in.

Hi

Just figured I'd let you guys know that the Jets are now my number one team in the NHL.

I'm in my mid 40's and have cheered for the Leafs since I can remember. Now I always liked the Jets back when they played in the Smythe, and they were always my #2 team. Like all of you I was disgusted with the departure of the Jets and Nordiques in the 90's.

I started off this year being pumped for the return of the Jets and the IceCaps, but had the Jets at number two behind the Leafs.

However when the Jets were making the playoff run I found myself being more invested with how the Jets did, rather than the Leafs.

I knew I had switched when I cheered for the Habs to beat the Leafs early in March when the Jets and Leafs were close in the standings. This is from someone who remembers cheering for the Soviet Red Army team when they played the Habs in 1975.

I am looking forward to see how the Jets prospects that we see here make out in the "peg. I'll get a Jets jersey for next season, and will get Postma or Machacek on it, whoever makes it.

I see TNSE as a organization that has a better future than MLSE, which is not motivated to improve, as they make a fortune as it is. I like the current management at TNSE and how they are planning for a better team in Winnipeg in part by having a good team here.

I think that the relationship between TNSE and St. John's will last a long time, regardless I am looking forward to further enjoying the ride.

As long as it doesn't affect the Jets chances I'll still root for the Leafs. I won't be a Leafs hater, but they are now clearly#2.

So its off the Leafs honeywagon, and on the Jets bandwagon!!

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Welcome aboard!! I always wondered how many people from St Johns would become Jets fans are there any others like you that became Jets fans??

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Welcome aboard!! I always wondered how many people from St Johns would become Jets fans are there any others like you that became Jets fans??
In say the 35 and older crowd most people are in either the Toronto or Montreal camps. Next would be the Bruins and Redwings. I'd guess that the number of people who would have Winnipeg as #1 would be similar to the level of the Bruins and Redwings.

Lets say

Toronto 35%
Montreal 30%
Boston, Detroit, Winnipeg 10% each.

That being said I am definitely seeing more Jets Merch than I did in October.

Now most of the fans of other teams would have the Jets as #2.

For most of these other fans, their loyalty does not extend to their teams AHL affiliate. Leafs fans are an exception for the most part.

Younger fans are all over the place.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Welcome aboard IceCapsFanNL!!

You've been a great source of Ice Caps info, and I hope you will be providing us with info for a long time.

If I had my way (and I think PS241 would agree ), the road to Winnipeg would go through St. John's (to copy the Nashville way).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

Welcome!

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
IceCapsFanNL

It's been my pleasure.

There is an obvious kinship to both our fanbases due to teams leaving, and getting another chance via TNSE.

I also see it when I see the crowd in MTS. To me it's MileOne writ large.

BTW 50-50 hit 20k last night. Not bad for a 6300 seat rink

Old
05-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Aerial

And welcome aboard, plenty of room for all on this bandwagon!

I really like what's developing between our fanbases. There's a ton of interest here in Winnipeg in how the IceCaps are doing, a lot of people I know are talking about making trips to St. John's to see a couple of games next season. If I was an enterprising Newfoundland travel agent or tourism rep, I'd look into setting up some packages to sell in Winnipeg... there'd definitely be interest.

The IceCaps are crucial to the development of our prospects and it's obvious St. John's fans will take very good care of them, and are creating the right environment to teach our kids how to be pros. From all accounts TNSE is thrilled with how things are working out there too. Good vibes all around!

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Welcome aboard IceCapsFanNL!!

You've been a great source of Ice Caps info, and I hope you will be providing us with info for a long time.

If I had my way (and I think PS241 would agree ), the road to Winnipeg would go through St. John's (to copy the Nashville way).
Yes Huff I agree

Just watching Burmi progress a bit this season but still struggle at times and knowing we have blown off two years of his eligibility is a bit frustrating. I really want Alex to do well and succeed and I know he wants it (even if itís true that he doesn't love direction from Coach's or Vets). I just wonder if things might have been different with even one more year in Barrie? Every player has his own path and time line.........for Eberle it was two additional years in juniors.........for Henrique it was back to juniors plus time in the AHL. I remember when Joe Sakic was sent back down to Juniors for a year after his draft and I was living in a WHL city at the time and marveled at Joe that season because in 64 games he put up 78 goals and 82 assists for 160 points so only the 2.5 PPG

mostly it was listening to the interview with Barry Trotz that sold me. I cannot do it justice but when he was articulating the value proposition for a young man spending some time in the AHL, learning to become a professional, and working his way up the ladder one rung at a time it just made so much sense. The three prospects I will be watching most closely in training camp this year will be Telegin, Mark, and Postma. Sounds like Telegin might be ready for the NHL (we shall see in camp) but I would not be surprised to see him spend at least some time in St John's (for the reason's Trotz mentioned).........Is it Postma's time or does he need one more year to work on his D zone coverage (if you look at his history at every level he has shown the ability to adapt, grow, and excel)? Of course it goes without saying most eyes will be on Mark. There will be many cool story lines to watch but these are the three that intrigue me the most.

When a player is ready they are ready I just don't see a reason to rush them and especially Defensive prospects who can take a bit more time to develop.

I see the marriage between Winnipeg and St. John's as dream matchup on every level welcome aboard IceCapsFanNL

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I love the fact that the Jets AHL team is in a hockey market like St. John's.

The players will be held accountable by the fans.

I hope we'll see more Newfoundlanders on this board in the future.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I love the fact that the Jets AHL team is in a hockey market like St. John's.

The players will be held accountable by the fans.

I hope we'll see more Newfoundlanders on this board in the future.
we just need to steal them from the leafs, habs and bruins!

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:27 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
we just need to steal them from the leafs, habs and bruins!
Amen to that!!

Old
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
And welcome aboard, plenty of room for all on this bandwagon!

I really like what's developing between our fanbases. There's a ton of interest here in Winnipeg in how the IceCaps are doing, a lot of people I know are talking about making trips to St. John's to see a couple of games next season. If I was an enterprising Newfoundland travel agent or tourism rep, I'd look into setting up some packages to sell in Winnipeg... there'd definitely be interest.

The IceCaps are crucial to the development of our prospects and it's obvious St. John's fans will take very good care of them, and are creating the right environment to teach our kids how to be pros. From all accounts TNSE is thrilled with how things are working out there too. Good vibes all around!
Making a trip to the east coast to take in the sights and an IceCaps game or two does sound like an awfully good idea.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Skidooboy

Go Caps!!!!

Winnipeg and the rst of manitoba love you too!

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote