Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
jdan1997

vCash: 500
I suggest that they stop keeping the rookies in the press box and cut the guys who are taking their spots. Simmonds especially...

Old
09-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Parksy

Simmonds isn't the only problem.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
jdan1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
Who do you have in mind?

Old
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Gaunce looked completely disinterested tonight. Zharkov needs to produce each night. He's done nothing so far.

Simmonds? Well he's Simmonds. He'll play every game because of daddy. It's unfortunate and not right. He does not deserve it.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Lyons89

Silas was on for every goal against tonight... He looks really bad for a col draft pick and an OA in the OHL. Anddddd hes slow as molasses.. The gaunce line was awful tonight as well. Gaunce was a -5 tonight and brassard and silas were both -4's. The whole team needs to be better!

Old
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Lyons89

Also, Silas is a combined -60 throughout his OHL career.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:50 PM
maldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegader View Post
Gaunce looked completely disinterested tonight. Zharkov needs to produce each night. He's done nothing so far.

Simmonds? Well he's Simmonds. He'll play every game because of daddy. It's unfortunate and not right. He does not deserve it.
Gaunce stunk Friday nite too and its sickening how much ice time him and subban gets with all the turn overs they create.They arent in that elite a level above the rest of the team where you keep playing them and playing them and playing them while the rest of the forwards and defencemen sit cold on the bench

Old
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

So much for the great start to the season....2-2 and i dont know how good or bad this team really is... There is no excuse to be outplayed that badly especially in the second period in your own building during your home opener.....lets see what Burnett has up his sleeve now to try and right this ship

Old
09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Parksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdan1997 View Post
Who do you have in mind?
I'm just saying that Simmonds' fourth line minutes are not hurting the team as much as the players who are supposed to put up offense. Although I would much rather have Simmonds' icetime being used for Carnevale or Hef.
Pretty sure George is gonna do what he thinks is best and not have outside interference run his team. Not that kind of guy.

Old
09-30-2012, 02:15 PM
BullsFan4Ever

Having watched or listened to all four games thus far, here are my thoughts.

In regards to the rookies:

Carnevale went from being promoted from the 4th line to the 3rd line for his effective play in plymouth and was praised for his efforts by Jack Miller, (playing along side Sandlak and Hooey). Carnevale then see's himself as a scratch two games later for no apparent reason, while the play of Lemmon has been horrible. Lemmon takes a bad penalty in Sarnia and is rewarded with ice time. He didn't learn a thing from it and then takes another bad penalty in Belleville last night but is benched for most of the 3rd period. I guess my whole point to the whole Lemmon Carnevale situation is, Lemmon cannot make a pass or receive a pass...two head hunters on the 4th line does not make sense. Why would George replace an offencive 4th line player with another offencive 4th line player, (ie; replacing Carnevale with Berisha)....wouldn't it make more sense to put both Carnevale and Berisha on the 4th line at the same time and leave Simmonds with them to do the mucking and grinding and scratch Lemmon? I would love your feed back.

As for the veteran players and others;

Gaunce is doing a lot of roaming right now, Zharkov is trying to be a one man show one too many times, Silas and Shaw don't look very interested in being there. Little Subban thinks he's an NHL star playing in the OHL.....however, a lot of work still needs to be done....he is trying way to hard to do it all himself. The effort is there from Sandlak, Hooey, Brassard, Curtis, Austin, Worrad but their just not getting the lucky pounces. Petti just needs to get a few more games under his belt but i think he will be just fine in time. As for DeSousa...he has been great in his two games played thus far, a pleasant player to watch.

Just my early observations and i would appreciate how others view players thus far.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Tonester01

Bulls start

I was at the game last night as I have been at most home openers since 1981. Last night the Bulls were outworked by the Gennies. The Gennies blocked shots, got in shooting lanes and look like they are for real this year. Laughton's line outplayed Gaunce's line all night. The Hooey/Sandlak/Curtis line was Belleville's best even though they played against Jenner's line. At least Zharkov was hitting last night.
The Bull's will be good this year and hopefully learned from last night's game that it takes hard work and sacrifice to beat a good team.
I watched Simmons last night and it's too bad he is taking ice time away from Carnevale or a rookie. A selfish decision by the owner and I feel sorry for the kid as he must know he is in over his head. He was lucky last night that his fight with Brown was short as he was in over his head and could have got hurt.
The Speakers in the south east corner were not working last night and both canteens at the south end of the rink had broken hot chocolate machines. Geez you would think on opening night that everything would be checked to ensure they are working.
I read in the paper that the Bulls have only 2 years left on their contract. Hopefully we don't have a Brampton situation next year. I think the uncertainty of the Bulls in Belleville will have an effect on attendance this year. Hey Gord what are your plans???

Old
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Parksy

More like "hey Belleville" what are your plans. Gord has been patient enough with the city about the arena. But i find that its hard to justify the need for more seats when the seats we have now are not even close to being sold out. And the so called boxes that bring in money. All but empty last night. Don't know where all these rumors of the bulls leaving are from. Where are they going to go? Uxbridge? Haha

Old
09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
More like "hey Belleville" what are your plans. Gord has been patient enough with the city about the arena. But i find that its hard to justify the need for more seats when the seats we have now are not even close to being sold out. And the so called boxes that bring in money. All but empty last night. Don't know where all these rumors of the bulls leaving are from. Where are they going to go? Uxbridge? Haha

I think the problems like last night stemmed more from looking for too many cute passes or extra passes when near the Gen's goalkeeper instead of simply firing the puck and hoping for screens, bounces, etc. Bulls 2nd period was brutal but 3rd period was very good but Gens iced the puck 50 times and ran the clock. That type of icing should have the delay of game rule applied as it's exactly that: DELAY of game. Boring for fans and not fun for players when you're told to stop playing hockey and just toss the puck down the ice every opportunity you get.

Another issue is individual play by some and I know Jordan was mentioned by many people but there were clearly others as well. MANY fans were voicing their displeasure at incomplete passes and poor choice passes and they still seem to be picking a lot on Silas who I think is a rather fine defenseman on most nights. But all in all I think the D were scrambling again and missed some assignments as Malcolm only allowed one stoppable goal. When the D picks up their assignments AND moves the puck on breakouts quickly instead of walking the puck out they then get into the offensive with far less turnovers and get scored on less. I still think George will get that corrected and once they move a vet forward for picks it'll allow some of the youngest rookies a chance to get their feet wet.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Renegader

Quote:
Gord should be ponying up some money as well for an arena and not rely on the city (taxpayers) to pay for it all.

The big problem in Belleville is the game day experience. As Tonester attested to above, speakers weren't working, the audio person continually leaves mics on and then static crackles over the speakers (ones that are working anyway), the concession stands have broken items. The video board is awful. It's too dim in some areas of the arena and a lot of the videos they play aren't formatted properly for the screen. The whole game day experience is lacking and that's a direct reflection on the owner. If the game day experience was better, I guarantee you more fans would show up. Go to a game in Oshawa or London or Ottawa and you will sense a professional atmosphere while watching the game. This is sorely lacking in Belleville thanks to Mr. Simmonds. He has no vested interest in Belleville, hell I don't even think he was at the home opener. Last year he had the annual awards in Uxbridge. Not Belleville. This year, he had an exhibition game in Uxbridge, not in a surrounding community like Napanee or Wellington. It's a slap in the face to Belleville. Clearly he won't move the team to Uxbridge, but he might look somewhere closer to his home. It's pretty clear he doesn't care about Belleville. His actions show this. We need local owner(s) that have a vested interest in the community. Mr. Simmonds does not.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Tonester01

Quote:
Gord should be ponying up some money as well for an arena and not rely on the city (taxpayers) to pay for it all.

The big problem in Belleville is the game day experience. As Tonester attested to above, speakers weren't working, the audio person continually leaves mics on and then static crackles over the speakers (ones that are working anyway), the concession stands have broken items. The video board is awful. It's too dim in some areas of the arena and a lot of the videos they play aren't formatted properly for the screen. The whole game day experience is lacking and that's a direct reflection on the owner. If the game day experience was better, I guarantee you more fans would show up. Go to a game in Oshawa or London or Ottawa and you will sense a professional atmosphere while watching the game. This is sorely lacking in Belleville thanks to Mr. Simmonds. He has no vested interest in Belleville, hell I don't even think he was at the home opener. Last year he had the annual awards in Uxbridge. Not Belleville. This year, he had an exhibition game in Uxbridge, not in a surrounding community like Napanee or Wellington. It's a slap in the face to Belleville. Clearly he won't move the team to Uxbridge, but he might look somewhere closer to his home. It's pretty clear he doesn't care about Belleville. His actions show this. We need local owner(s) that have a vested interest in the community. Mr. Simmonds does not.
How far is Markham form Uxbridge? When the new arena is built in Markham they will be looking for a tenant and will have difficulty getting a NHL team as long as the Leafs have a veto. An OHL team is a possibility unless Barrie has territorial rights.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester01 View Post
How far is Markham form Uxbridge? When the new arena is built in Markham they will be looking for a tenant and will have difficulty getting a NHL team as long as the Leafs have a veto. An OHL team is a possibility unless Barrie has territorial rights.
A quick google search shows us that it's around 46 km away. Barrie is 95 km away from Markham. This could be a possibility.

Of course this is still all conjecture. We know that Gord wants a new rink in Belleville and we know that his contract with the city expires in 2014. We also know that the city probably won't build a new rink now since the completion of the Quinte Sports and Wellness centre (dumb name). So if you do the math, it equals Gord moving or selling the team, unless he's bluffing about wanting a new rink.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
A quick google search shows us that it's around 46 km away. Barrie is 95 km away from Markham. This could be a possibility.

Of course this is still all conjecture. We know that Gord wants a new rink in Belleville and we know that his contract with the city expires in 2014. We also know that the city probably won't build a new rink now since the completion of the Quinte Sports and Wellness centre (dumb name). So if you do the math, it equals Gord moving or selling the team, unless he's bluffing about wanting a new rink.
A junior club in the new Markham NHL sized rink? Kind of like the Argos in the Rogers Centre.....think lots of empty seats....can't see it. Optics and rent cost would be massive impediments.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
A junior club in the new Markham NHL sized rink? Kind of like the Argos in the Rogers Centre.....think lots of empty seats....can't see it. Optics and rent cost would be massive impediments.
A good comparison and that may have some merit. However, by shutting off the top level and filling it with sponsor signs and using the boxes and lower levels as the main seating areas it may solve this issue. As for the rent cost, if Markham can't get an NHL team, they may offer incentives to prospective tenants to rent from them.

Again, it's all conjecture but all the little things are starting to add up. Mr. Simmonds doesn't seem happy in Belleville in my opinion.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
brahmabull

Quote:
, hell I don't even think he was at the home opener.

Gord was at the opener along with his family and the rest of the ownership group. I don't think he wants to move the team he does seem to like it in the comunity and there is nothing saying attendence would be better anywhere else. The game in Brampton Friday night looked like the arena was mostly empty from what you could tell by Cogeco's broadcast. I can understand the Bulls ownership group being frustrated with the city they were promised a new arena or changes to the Yardmen when they renewed the contract last time but the city chose to sink millions into the new Health and Wellness Center intsead.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull View Post
Gord was at the opener along with his family and the rest of the ownership group. I don't think he wants to move the team he does seem to like it in the comunity and there is nothing saying attendence would be better anywhere else. The game in Brampton Friday night looked like the arena was mostly empty from what you could tell by Cogeco's broadcast. I can understand the Bulls ownership group being frustrated with the city they were promised a new arena or changes to the Yardmen when they renewed the contract last time but the city chose to sink millions into the new Health and Wellness Center intsead.
Actually in the final tally of it all the Feds paid for nearly all of the wellness centre as part of the economic action plan.

I watched that game as well in Brampton. Attendance was stated at 2,045. I guarantee it was half that.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Well it looks like the Bulls will defeat the 67's tonight in Belleville. Kuptsov with a couple of points and first round pick Nick Petti with his first career OHL goal.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Parksy

Petti scores his first career goal with somebody else's stick. Haven't heard of that before. Much better effort top to bottom this game. Even simmonds with a solid outing. Hope they keep it up for Monday.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Renegader

Everyone played well. Credit where credit is due.... Simmonds had a solid game. That Hooey, Curtis, Sandlak line was spectacular. Good W tonight.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:52 AM
johnnydrum

Hiya Bulls.
Great to hear that top prospects Daniil Zharkov and Breandan Gaunce finaly get off the "snyde" at last, with a goal each.. I was starting to get worried!

Old
10-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Renegader

So were we!

Closed Thread