Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2011-2012 Season Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
hockeye

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2011-2012 Season Thread

All start off with potential overagers for the Otters next season.

Overagers Gone
Andrew Yogan
David Shields
Tyler Hostetter

-Brett Appio and Matt Paton will probably both not be otters next season
-Sadikov might not come back to Erie
-Brett Thompson is almost a lock to return to Erie
-That leaves Mike Cazzola for offense, and Brett Cook and Derek Holden for defense

Who do you think the Otters should keep?
And how many wins do you see ER getting in 2011-2012?

hockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Boyce

Patrick Murphy

Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Petes1

With Erie moving Austin, does it make it more likely they will hold onto Holden/Cook and move one of Thompson/Cazzola?

They are down to 5 returning defencemen and didn't draft one until the 5th round in draft.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
hockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
With Erie moving Austin, does it make it more likely they will hold onto Holden/Cook and move one of Thompson/Cazzola?

They are down to 5 returning defencemen and didn't draft one until the 5th round in draft.

Read in a article that Erie is still looking for trades that would move some overagers and that their are some UNTOUCHABLE and those are Cazzola/Thompson. Seeing that Erie can only have 3 OA I imagine they trade either Holden/Cook (hopefully Holden) for another D-man.

They will have Pelech (who had a great rookie year), Gazdic, Grant, Holden/Cook, Other Guy they receive in a trade, Nathan Glass (picked in draft 2010), and their 5th round pick Patrick Murphy is suppose to be one of the most under the radar picks in the 2011 draft so I wound not be surprised if he makes the starting roster. So IMO their D should be OK as long as the add one more piece.
And their offence should do good with Mckegg expected back, Cazzola/Thompson, young players like Marchese (selected 1st round 2010), Crisp (selected 2nd round 2010), Mac McDonnel and Luke Cairns who both showed good signs last season, and 2011 first round pick Stephan Harper. *plus physical play from Johnny McGuire.

Goalies are the ? Yes they added Teichmann and hopefully Festarani got stronger in offseason. Plus 2 goalies picked in draft this season. So I think we got a nice young crop of 93' goalies..and mabye Sadikov comes back
So we should see the best goalies we truly have this season...and the next coming seasons we have a chance to have one of the better goalies in the league with a young crop of 2 93's and 2 95's
So mabye Erie can have a decent 32-36 win season. You never know with a couple trades we make the playoffs as a 6th mabye 5th seed. Think about it last year we all thought Erie would have another typical 7th 8th seed season with a shaky goalie Sadikov..haha he dominated! So mabye we can have a good year.......I said mabye

Old
08-23-2011, 09:28 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Can someone post what their lines might look like?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
hockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Can someone post what their lines might look like?
Just my thoughts *Rookie **Overager ***Import
1st Line
Greg McKegg LW
Sondre Olden*** C
Mike Cazzola** RW

2nd Line
Chris Marchese LW
Brett Thompson** C
Connor Crisp RW

3rd Line

Stephan Harper* LW
Luke Cairns C
Mac McDonnel RW

4th Line

Mitchell Eisenberg LW
Jake Evans* C
Johnny McGuire RW

Defense
1st
Brett Cook**
Adam Pelech

2nd

Kris Grant
Nathan Glass

3rd

Patrick Murphy*
Mark Gazdic
Note Erie will have to trade either Cook/Derek Holden, as Bassin as said that Thompson/Cazzola are locks to return. So I imagine that Erie will receive other d-man who can play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing rather than Gazdic

Goalies
1-Tyson Teichmann
2-Christopher Festarini
Note If Sadikov returns Erie will likely trade and try for a d-man or 3rd line forward or mabye they have to settle for draft picks

Old
08-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

so the otters are finding olden as their first line center. very interested.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
hockeye

well I dont see why he wouldnt play with McKegg on line 1..thats why Toronto wanted us to draft him

Old
08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
HF_Rangers

I don't think there's any doubt Olden is on the first line, but I think he'd be LW and McKegg is C.

HF_Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:34 AM
hockeye

yeah I do to..but I read a article that said he is way more comfortable at Center..but I dont care either way as long as it works

Old
09-03-2011, 03:36 PM
hockeylegend11

The erie otters have signed 2010 draft pick forward Connor Brown to

ohl contract

The former Toronto marlie is a brother of former Spitfire and General Jeff Brown

His game is much different then Jeff,pure skill

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
hockeye

Erie not looking good so far

53 shots gave up tonight...come on boys!!! (93 total in 2 games)
out scored 11-4 in 2 games

only good news is that olden and cazzola didnt play in game 2

However Erie is giving NO effort
If they dont beat Guelph on Friday you wont see me at the home opener Sat.

Pathetic Erie..just PATHETIC
It becomes really upsetting when you suck year after year..especially when you have one decent year and lose in the first round playoffs..its annoying!!!

It is either Bassin sucks and fails to get solid draft guys or Robbie isnt a good coach

And please dont say..."relax its only 2 games"
No I have watched 1 game and listened to the other they dont look good!!

Old
09-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieWatcher View Post
Erie not looking good so far

53 shots gave up tonight...come on boys!!! (93 total in 2 games)
out scored 11-4 in 2 games

only good news is that olden and cazzola didnt play in game 2

However Erie is giving NO effort
If they dont beat Guelph on Friday you wont see me at the home opener Sat.

Pathetic Erie..just PATHETIC
It becomes really upsetting when you suck year after year..especially when you have one decent year and lose in the first round playoffs..its annoying!!!

It is either Bassin sucks and fails to get solid draft guys or Robbie isnt a good coach

And please dont say..."relax its only 2 games"
No I have watched 1 game and listened to the other they dont look good!!
Most of us had them struggling this season. I think they will continue to all year. Looking at the roster I dont know how one could expect much more then 8-9th.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:30 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Why didn't Olden play?

09-27-2011, 05:55 PM
armi5718

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The erie otters have signed 2010 draft pick forward Connor Brown to

ohl contract

The former Toronto marlie is a brother of former Spitfire and General Jeff Brown

His game is much different then Jeff,pure skill
Connor is my wife's cousin. He's a player, already showed it with two A's in game 1. We're all excited.

armi5718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
fanner

Any update on the Cairns injury? anyone know what is going on with him and his status for this weekend. He impressed me last year and am looking forward to see what he can bring this year.

Also, what will happen in net now with Sadikov returning??

fanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
hockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanner View Post
Any update on the Cairns injury? anyone know what is going on with him and his status for this weekend. He impressed me last year and am looking forward to see what he can bring this year.

i heard cairns might play this weekend, so im gueesing if he doesnt he will next week for sure

as for Sadikov, Erie will likely have to trade him with to solid young goalies in net for them now

I think they will try for a def. or draft picks...but we shall see..knowing Sherry it will be draft picks

Are there any teams that 1) have an import spot open 2)have an overage spot open 3) need a goalie.....

my guess is not many teams will need or or can have him

Old
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
hockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanner View Post

i heard cairns might play this weekend, so im gueesing if he doesnt he will next week for sure

as for Sadikov, Erie will likely have to trade him with 2 solid young goalies in net for them now

I think they will try for a def. or draft picks...but we shall see..knowing Sherry it will be draft picks

Are there any teams that 1) have an import spot open 2)have an overage spot open 3) need a goalie.....

my guess is not many teams will need or can have him

Old
10-02-2011, 01:58 PM
hockeye

It is so annoying,frustrating,upsetting,disappointing, and disgusting to be an Erie fan.

Year after year this team disappoints and plays like sh**
I dont know what the problem is...
-Bassin?
-Ftorek ?

I honestly think we need someone else running the show. The players are not playing with passion, grit or heart. It it is getting old!

Yes we were solid last year......but guess what.....another 1st round exit..
Year after year our rookies never step up in year 1, but the rookies in London, Windsor, Kitchener, etc. do..and that doesnt help our cause.

Last night we had 4911 at the game...for a team that was 0-3 and was outscored 21-6.......thats loyal fans if you ask me...
But I saw a crappy team that missed passes and wide open nets all game and played like crap on defense....oh and lets not forget our goalies suck.

I will not go to another game until this team is 500. or better or at least plays with grit..and I suggest all other Erie fans do the same...mabye the team and organization will get the message..CHANGE IS NEEDED

It is frustrating to be a otters fan and I will not deal with it anymore.

No games for me until this team makes changes or starts winning

Old
10-02-2011, 02:07 PM
fanofdo

Something I wrote on the NOOF in response to a fellow disgruntled Otter's fan;

Good teams seem to run their team from the same manual - so do the bad. I am sympathetic to your situation in Erie. I fully agree that Erie has supported this team well and it has made the OHL a stronger league with their presence.

I grew up watching Windsor Spitfire Hockey – they were an underachieving team for many years. There were tons of excuses, but compared to other teams they were not as successful. Peter Karmanos bought the team and in relatively short order the Spits were a successful team – going to the Memorial Cup. Peter sold the team when Windsor wouldn’t build a new rink and started a team that is now the Plymouth Whalers – arguably the most successful franchise in the OHL over the past 15 years. Windsor went back to their ways until new owners bought it and we know the success they have had.

London, while more successful than Windsor, had not won or even gone to the Memorial Cup – new owners and the results came. In fact you could argue by many measurements that during the Hunter ownership, London has been the most successful franchise.

Transplanted to Sarnia, I became a fan, then a suffering fan, then an agonizing fan. Support in Sarnia was very good and many good people supported the team over the battle cry of ‘next year’ until people started to vocally call for the owner to sell the team. The ownership went so far as to say we ‘could lose the franchise’ – something that I personally called them out on boards like this. My position was this, “Where were they going to move to?” The OHL was not about to let a team leave a well supported market – and they do have the authority to prevent it. Additionally, the OHL desperately tried to find a home for the Ice Dogs if you remember – all sorts of stories, but there was not a slam dunk place to move a team or it would have been done.

Why do I bring this up – because it isn’t going to change until fans stop supporting the team and demand a change. Last year it was reported that Erie’s average attendance was 3237, down 9.9% from the year before. Definitely heading in the wrong direction but still very respectable.

I highlighted the part of your post where you don’t hear from Bassin unless they are winning – same thing was true here in Sarnia. Another similarity are the ‘rumours’ of the team being cheap – very similar stories here. I was attacked for the comments, but knowing several players that had played for other teams confirmed the so called rumours. It still remains to be seen if Sarnia has turned the corner – there had been grumbling for years but it is amazing how much changed in a short amount of time when people started getting publicly vocal, and maybe even more so, the teams most ardent supporters went silent.

Good luck in your quest for decent hockey.

ottergal wrote:
Thank you FanofdO for your very insightful post. The issue in Erie is that we have a GM who also has majority ownership in the team, he answers to no one but himself....just a really bad situation. He also surrounds himself with people that don't challenge him because they know they are gone if they do. Word is that his previous attempts to sell the team have failed because he wants a contract where he can still run the team for another 4 years...can you imagine? So you are right, the only thing we as fans can do is stop buying tickets and hope that gets someone's attention.

Again, right out of the crappy owner's hand book is the chapter on how staff your management team. Show me a team with a bunch of yes men and I will show you a losing team. In fact, as I have pointed out in the past, part of the problem is that you can not win in this league without a sound, hard working management team, working as a team. I know it sounds like a cliche but it is true.

The biggest issue in Erie is that Bassin has a strategy that is a proven winner - as long as you are living 15 years ago. The issue is that competitiveness of teams has improved. As mentioned – Plymouth started the ball rolling – Pete DeBoer took the blue print to Kitchener, the Hunters raised the bar with a family 1-2 punch and the latest duo of Warren Rychel and Bob Boughner has further raised the bar. This is a study in itself on the league, but suffice it say the bar will continue to go higher – teams will need to be very professionally run to be competitive.

I have no reason to doubt the story about Bassin wanting to go with the team – he can continue that but here is where that is headed; there is an inherent value to a franchise. In other words, should a franchise basically lose most of its fan base and has basically bottomed out in revenue, the franchise will still be worth something over $1 million dollars - but much less than it could be. Erie has a decent attendance, but as pointed out, it is dropping, as no doubt other revenues are. There comes a point where operating revenues do not cover expenses - in my opinion, this is somewhere between 2000 and 2300. At some point, should the trend continue, owners are going to see the value of the investment bottom out and they will need to fork money out to cover expenses. Somewhere before it gets here, the owners end up selling... or change.

This was the situation in Sarnia last year – despite what the owners said, they were looking into selling the team – the problem was that they wanted more for the team than anyone was willing to pay. At the same time, after many years of the truth poking them on the forehead, their balance sheet slapped them across the face. Operating revenues were plunging and despite having the first pick overall, it wasn’t enough to rebuild. The game had significantly changed – they needed to change or the franchise value would continue to drop.

An owner surrounding himself with yes men and conning the fans into believing about next year works only as long as the fans let it. Once the fans figure it out, the balance sheet speaks so the owner understands.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I went to school in Erie for 5 years but only recently started going to games. $14.50 per ticket is a real good deal.

Who was the Russian that got a big ovation last night? He wasn't dressed to play.

Also, I'm a fan of Thompson.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
hockeye

OH MY ERIE

i honestly thought after the game friday and the 7-5 win that Erie could turn it around and start playing 500. hockey at least

I WAS WRONG .... First period was solid and they look confident...2nd ..... WOW just frustrating

3rd was not any better

I cant believe this team
I mean correct me if I'm wrong but we have McKegg, Cazzola, Thompson, Olden, Cairns, Marchese

I mean come on folks that is some talent, ok yes we have rookies all over the roster...BUT THERE IS STILL NO EXCUSE
This is the ohl, you should be talented enough to win some games and win 27-33 games...i mean London, Kitchener, Windsor, and others would

Then there is Fester......I give up on this kid...he sucks...in his 3rd year and still looks shaky...Sorry Bassin he is a bust

I cannot stress enough how crappy and weak this team is and it is annoying to watch every game with so little passion from the team.

Is it coaching?
Is it rookies?
Is it Bassin?
Is it scouting players?

What is wrong with this team??
My head cant find the answer

Old
10-14-2011, 10:32 PM
hockeye

Erie is a very bad organization that has been inconsistent through the last 9 years

Since 01-02 when Erie won the OHL they have been....

250-302 -18(ties)-31(otl)-12(sl)

Before that from 97/98 to 01-02 the Otters in 5 seasons were.....

183-119- 27(ties)- 9(otl)

This shows to me that Bassin no longer has the ability to lead an organization as the GM
He has hired crappy scouts along the way and this organization has given me headaches 24/7

Even if this team turned it around (which I highly doubt they will) and made it to the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed I wouldnt even go to the playoffs for free...I WILL NEVER go to another Otter game until I see consistent and action filled hockey, with players who leave every thing on the ice.

Either that or this team gets a new GM, trades Fester/McKegg or hires a new coach

ERIE you are the perfect example of a pathetic organization that needs a new home or new owner/GM.... NO EFFORT

Old
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
NHL Fanatic

Erie calls up defenseman Patrick Murphy, recent draft selection getting his debut for tonight's game.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:28 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Erie calls up defenseman Patrick Murphy, recent draft selection getting his debut for tonight's game.
What`s happening to Olden. Have not played a game since november 13.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote