HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone remember in 1993 against Toronto...

Old
05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Does anyone remember in 1993 against Toronto...

When we won the Clarence Campbell title, did we accept the trophy, or did we just leave it on the table? Some teams don't celebrate with it because they consider it bad luck.

I'm just curios if we have ever had a team actually hold a trophy of any kind.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
When we won the Clarence Campbell title, did we accept the trophy, or did we just leave it on the table? Some teams don't celebrate with it because they consider it bad luck.

I'm just curios if we have ever had a team actually hold a trophy of any kind.
I don't remember if we touched it on the ice when it was first delivered to the team, but I do remember players taking pictures with it in the locker room celebrating.

I just found this picture. Crap...HF isn't letting me post it as a picture or a link right now for some reason. It's like my top buttons are broken. Here's the link: http://www.hhof.com/graphsilver/trophy_ccbwinners.jpg

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Gretzky did pick up the Campbell Conference Trophy and the Kings did celebrate in the locker room as if they had won the Cup. Can't blame 'em though, that was a damn tough series and they beat a team that was supposed to be destined for a berth in the Finals.

It should also be noted, in 2008 Crosby did not touch the Wales Conference Trophy and the Penguins lost to the Red Wings. In 2009 he picked up the trophy and the Penguins would go on to beat the Red Wings.

Oh and check this link out for more about the series and a pic of the Kings celebrating with the Campbell Conference Trophy:
http://mayorsmanor.com/2011/12/kings...hell-mistakes/

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Wooty

I don't think that sort of superstition was around in the league back then. I think that one is a newer one. They all are follow ups to the play-off beard, hard work motif that the players hang on to.

That game was in Toronto right? Did they even do something on the ice back then? For years only the S Cup was given on the ice/field in all the sports. Remember, when a team won, they ran off the field/ice into the locker rooms.

Remember the old videos of Magic and Kareem running off through the crowds to get to the locker room? Reggie running over people to get off the field?

The trophy presentation is a pretty new hockey copy for all the sports.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I don't think that sort of superstition was around in the league back then. I think that one is a newer one. They all are follow ups to the play-off beard, hard work motif that the players hang on to.

That game was in Toronto right? Did they even do something on the ice back then? For years only the S Cup was given on the ice/field in all the sports. Remember, when a team won, they ran off the field/ice into the locker rooms.

Remember the old videos of Magic and Kareem running off through the crowds to get to the locker room? Reggie running over people to get off the field?

Yup, I don't know about the rest of you guys but the Lombardi Trophy presentation seems to be the most contrived.

The NHL has something really unique in terms of the players from the winning team skating the cup. It looks lame when the other sports try to copy it.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I don't remember if we touched it on the ice when it was first delivered to the team, but I do remember players taking pictures with it in the locker room celebrating.

I just found this picture. Crap...HF isn't letting me post it as a picture or a link right now for some reason. It's like my top buttons are broken. Here's the link: http://www.hhof.com/graphsilver/trophy_ccbwinners.jpg
Love that pic - that's the one I was thinking about.

And love the chevy logo jerseys.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Pucknut50

Here we go getting ahead of ourselves. One game at a time boys just like the players are doing.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Capn Brown

IIRC, the superstition was started in 1994 by Mark Messier & the Rangers. It ended with Sydney Crosby.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post

They did do them back then. It's not a new invention. Besides, we're taking about 19 years ago, not 50. I'm pretty sure the on ice presentation has been in place since the 1982 playoffs, the first year the Clarence Campbell/Prince of Wales trophies were awarded for playoff success.

This article (granted, wikipedia) states that the Prince of Wales trophy was presented on ice in 1994, one year after the Kings won the Clarence Campbell Bowl. I doubt that's the year it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Here we go getting ahead of ourselves. One game at a time boys just like the players are doing.
I'm not trying to get ahead of anything, it was just a question that popped into my head. Has the LA Kings, in their 45 year history, ever had a team hoist any trophy of significance? I'd ask that even if we weren't in the post-season right now.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
well here is a good story for you king fans--from a Canadian

at the time the leafs and Kings were playing, I was living in Budapest Hungary and my contract was coming to and end and for several reasons I had to go back to Canada--well, being from western Canada I did not want to be in Canada for a Montreal v Toronto final(two of my most hated teams) and well, my contract ran out on the place I was staying and I could not find a place for a few nights, so I had to decide --do i fly back to Canada to deal with the chance of a montreal v leaf final or do I get creative. Like most 20ish kids in from Canada who were traveling around europe at the time--I was flat broke---all I had was my return ticket--so I decided to crash on a park bench while the kings beat the leafs and once they did that I jumped on a plan back to Canada. Goes without saying I was very happy when the kings beat the leafs

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
IIRC, the superstition was started in 1994 by Mark Messier & the Rangers. It ended with Sydney Crosby.
According to this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditi...he_Stanley_Cup Messier picked up the Prince of Wales trophy that year, and the Rangers of course won the cup that year.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
tantrum4*

More info about touching or not touching:

Quote:
Since 2001, teams who have touched their conference trophy are 4-5 in the resulting Stanley Cup Final.

Last season, the Eastern Conference champion Flyers opted to touch the Prince of Wales Trophy -- with captain Mike Richards hoisting the hardware in front of a sea of screaming, orange-clad fans.

Meanwhile, in a ceremony honoring the Blackhawks clinching the Western Conference title, captain Jonathan Toews chose to steer clear of the Clarence Campbell Bowl. He kept a safe distance from the silver trophy for photos and made zero contact with it whatsoever.

Chicago ended up winning the 2010 Stanley Cup in six games.

In 2009, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was happy to grab the Prince of Wales trophy when Pittsburgh clinched the Eastern Conference title. This came one year after the Penguins opted to adhere to superstition and not touch the trophy -- then subsequently lost to the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Final.

Pittsburgh won the 2009 Stanley Cup, proving maybe it isn't so unlucky to touch a conference trophy after all.

Crosby in 2009 followed the lead of 1991 Penguins captain -- and current Pittsburgh owner -- Mario Lemieux . Lemieux not only touched the Prince of Wales Trophy in 1991, when the Penguins advanced to the first Stanley Cup Final in team history, but he also skated around with it.

Pittsburgh went on to win the Stanley Cup that season, in six games over the Minnesota North Stars.

Some other notable captains who chose to touch the conference trophy and then went on to win the Stanley Cup are Red Wings' star Steve Yzerman in 1997 and Devils' defensive stalwart Scott Stevens in 2000 and 2003.

When Chara didn't touch the trophy, it set up the third Stanley Cup Final since 2001 between two teams that didn't touch the conference trophy.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This song would be apt for the Conference Champion trophy presentation:

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This song would be apt for the Conference Champion trophy presentation:
no it would not

google Gary Glitter and trouble with law and you may want to come up with a new song

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
jml87

I think it started as players didn't really care about those trophies because the Cup was what was really important. It kind of developed into this whole weird thing where you're jinxed if you touch it. In the end it's just stupid. Touching a trophy and celebrating winning your conference does nothing to stop you from winning the Stanley cup.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Rod Buskas*

Gretzky picked it up. the tradition of not raising the conference title is stupid anyway.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:56 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
Gretzky picked it up. the tradition of not raising the conference title is stupid anyway.
Agreed. They posed for pictures and are holding onto in the locker room with it as my avatar shows.

Last edited by kovacro: 05-02-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: because I can.
kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post
Agreed. They posed for pictures and are holding onto in the locker room with it as my avatar shows.
Did they pick it up on the ice, or just privately in the locker room?