HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 12:24 AM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Overall a terrible, lazy, and dull effort by the Otters tonight. The only players that showed up were McDavid, Dansk, Cortellessa, and Cairns. I know it was the third game in four days but that is not an excuse. The overall effort in about 4 games this year has just not been there and the record shows it. Not sure what the issue is but someone needs to fire them up in the locker room.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Overall a terrible, lazy, and dull effort by the Otters tonight. The only players that showed up were McDavid, Dansk, Cortellessa, and Cairns. I know it was the third game in four days but that is not an excuse. The overall effort in about 4 games this year has just not been there and the record shows it. Not sure what the issue is but someone needs to fire them up in the locker room.
The issue is the coach.
I thought we had a statue standing behind the bench all night, the only time he moved was to leave the bench in between periods. This was the worst effort i've seen this year at home. We got beat to the puck every time,passing was a joke guys skating free to the net. Not once did he say anything to the players,and made one line change all night with McDavid playing with Crisp and Carins.Great effort Robbie!

Our defense is a joke other tthan Pelech-McDowell-Donay. I wish i had a clue why we waived Liam Maaskant. I'm sure Nathan Glass is a great kid,but his play so far this season has been very bad. I would rather see Felkner out on the ice and take his lumps than see Glass get so much playing time.

Sherry i know you love Robbie and his family,but i love good hockey and good coaching and we aren't getting that from this staff. Make a change

Old
10-28-2012, 10:27 AM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
The issue is the coach.
I thought we had a statue standing behind the bench all night, the only time he moved was to leave the bench in between periods. This was the worst effort i've seen this year at home. We got beat to the puck every time,passing was a joke guys skating free to the net. Not once did he say anything to the players,and made one line change all night with McDavid playing with Crisp and Carins.Great effort Robbie!

Our defense is a joke other tthan Pelech-McDowell-Donay. I wish i had a clue why we waived Liam Maaskant. I'm sure Nathan Glass is a great kid,but his play so far this season has been very bad. I would rather see Felkner out on the ice and take his lumps than see Glass get so much playing time.

Sherry i know you love Robbie and his family,but i love good hockey and good coaching and we aren't getting that from this staff. Make a change
+1

Also appears Pelech may only have a bruise according to Victor from the Times-News, so they dodged a bullet. I agree that Glass is terrible and if last night was any indication, Kuleshov has a lot of room to improve but he was much better than Glass. Sit Glass down and let Kuleshov and Felker develop!

Also, Kuleshov was doing his best Connor Crisp impression with the empty net.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:44 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Dansk needs to be in a 1, 1a rotation. Williams is not going to be able to push Dansk nor hold the fort.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Otters Fan

I agree 100% about Kuleshov needing to improve. One thing i will say about him is he at least trys to challange the skater when they come into the zone. He may get beat,but at least he trys to make a play.
Far to many times this year Glass has had the chance to challange the skater or move up on a puck and has not. As i said i think hes a great kid,he was always very nice to my son the few times they talked in the stands last year. I have nothing bad to say about him as a person.

I think Williams is a great back-up goalie and to be honest when Dansk moves on i think he will be a great starter. I see no reason to need a rotaion other than the way they have so far sdrfaobfh1

Old
10-28-2012, 12:25 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I agree 100% about Kuleshov needing to improve. One thing i will say about him is he at least trys to challange the skater when they come into the zone. He may get beat,but at least he trys to make a play.
Far to many times this year Glass has had the chance to challange the skater or move up on a puck and has not. As i said i think hes a great kid,he was always very nice to my son the few times they talked in the stands last year. I have nothing bad to say about him as a person.

I think Williams is a great back-up goalie and to be honest when Dansk moves on i think he will be a great starter. I see no reason to need a rotaion other than the way they have so far sdrfaobfh1
I agree with pretty much everything people have been saying. In the home opening weekend Glass played well but has struggled since then. Kuleshov needs a lot of improving but I think he has the potential to be a good defenceman since he is only 17. Felker in the few shifts he has received has held his own, I think once he develops a bit he will be good as well. This team is in dire need of another top four defenceman, if they can get one I think their record improves a good amount.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
I agree with pretty much everything people have been saying. In the home opening weekend Glass played well but has struggled since then. Kuleshov needs a lot of improving but I think he has the potential to be a good defenceman since he is only 17. Felker in the few shifts he has received has held his own, I think once he develops a bit he will be good as well. This team is in dire need of another top four defenceman, if they can get one I think their record improves a good amount.
Erie is a young and inexperienced team both upfront and on the backend. McDowell, Donnay and Abraham would all be 4-6 guys on a good OHL defines. Ive watched Spencer Abraham in Brampton for the past 2 years and he is a good skilled defenseman, but he would be the first person to tell you that his role should not be shutting down or playing against the oppositions top lines, but at the end of the day Erie has no choice right now. He is a good 5-6 PP dman, i was sad to see him go and glad hes getting an opportunity, seems to be holding his own only -1 in ten games with 3 points. However good defense starts with the forwards its tough of the defense if the forwards are no commited in thier own end. They fly the zone, turn pucks over at the blue lines and limited effort of the back checks. Theyve been caught with 3 forwards low in the zone multiple times aswell. The only top OHL dman on thier team is Pelech, its obvious. This team needs 2 ( 1993 and 1994 shutdown defensive defenseman. which sets up thier defense looking like this.

Pelech - X
Donnay- McDowell
Abraham - X

Felker

A defense like that next season would have potential to be very good.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
Erie is a young and inexperienced team both upfront and on the backend. McDowell, Donnay and Abraham would all be 4-6 guys on a good OHL defines. Ive watched Spencer Abraham in Brampton for the past 2 years and he is a good skilled defenseman, but he would be the first person to tell you that his role should not be shutting down or playing against the oppositions top lines, but at the end of the day Erie has no choice right now. He is a good 5-6 PP dman, i was sad to see him go and glad hes getting an opportunity, seems to be holding his own only -1 in ten games with 3 points. However good defense starts with the forwards its tough of the defense if the forwards are no commited in thier own end. They fly the zone, turn pucks over at the blue lines and limited effort of the back checks. Theyve been caught with 3 forwards low in the zone multiple times aswell. The only top OHL dman on thier team is Pelech, its obvious. This team needs 2 ( 1993 and 1994 shutdown defensive defenseman. which sets up thier defense looking like this.

Pelech - X
Donnay- McDowell
Abraham - X

Felker

A defense like that next season would have potential to be very good.
I think you are right on with your assessment. Pelech is outstanding and vital to this team but they need another top defenceman if they want to go anywhere. Adding another top player would help this team exponentially. I think Felker has a lot of potential in what I have seen but he needs some experience and a season or two to improve. Kuleshov is another that looks like he has the potential but his game is raw and he needs some adjusting as well. I think if they get a 93 or 94 shut down type player they will improve into a playoff team this year and if Dansk is back next year they are contenders.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:16 AM
MonsterSurge

Hey, I'm new to the OHL section. I'm from Pittsburgh and I'd like to see an OHL game. I'm not sure why with the new fighting rule, but I'd still like too. We're looking at January to head up to Erie for a game...Which game would be the best to see? Thanks!

Old
10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
I think you are right on with your assessment. Pelech is outstanding and vital to this team but they need another top defenceman if they want to go anywhere. Adding another top player would help this team exponentially. I think Felker has a lot of potential in what I have seen but he needs some experience and a season or two to improve. Kuleshov is another that looks like he has the potential but his game is raw and he needs some adjusting as well. I think if they get a 93 or 94 shut down type player they will improve into a playoff team this year and if Dansk is back next year they are contenders.
If I were Bassin I would be looking for a 1994 shutdown type defenseman. Quite frankly I think it will be tough to a acquire a good 1993 OA defenseman next year, those are tough to come by as a lot of teams like to keep their experience ESPECIALLY on the back end. My hunch is the OA's next year will be McDowell and Fox for sure with Abraham on the bubble pending on what Erie does and how he performs. Outside of Pelech they don't have a very skilled backend which is why I could see Spencer back, hes skilled and has experiance in the league hes not a young kid anymore (remember to get good players you have to give up good players and Erie cannot afford to give up a high-end forward). My hunch is if this team is going to contend next year then Kuleshov will not be back and their first import pick will be a stud defenseman. Kuleshov is a minus 10 in 11 games or so no points and hes playing very limited ice time maybe 2-3 shifts a night with the exception of the Sarnia game. You cant have a guy playing 5,6,7 defenseman minutes being such a heavy minus. I agree if Dansk is back they have to go for it.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Hey, I'm new to the OHL section. I'm from Pittsburgh and I'd like to see an OHL game. I'm not sure why with the new fighting rule, but I'd still like too. We're looking at January to head up to Erie for a game...Which game would be the best to see? Thanks!
Well that depends on what you want to see. Do you want to watch a team that is more physical, a team with some high end prospects, or a team that Erie has a good chance of beating or at least having it be a good game?

Old
10-31-2012, 10:36 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
If I were Bassin I would be looking for a 1994 shutdown type defenseman. Quite frankly I think it will be tough to a acquire a good 1993 OA defenseman next year, those are tough to come by as a lot of teams like to keep their experience ESPECIALLY on the back end. My hunch is the OA's next year will be McDowell and Fox for sure with Abraham on the bubble pending on what Erie does and how he performs. Outside of Pelech they don't have a very skilled backend which is why I could see Spencer back, hes skilled and has experiance in the league hes not a young kid anymore (remember to get good players you have to give up good players and Erie cannot afford to give up a high-end forward). My hunch is if this team is going to contend next year then Kuleshov will not be back and their first import pick will be a stud defenseman. Kuleshov is a minus 10 in 11 games or so no points and hes playing very limited ice time maybe 2-3 shifts a night with the exception of the Sarnia game. You cant have a guy playing 5,6,7 defenseman minutes being such a heavy minus. I agree if Dansk is back they have to go for it.
I can see your points and I agree with you. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think Fox will be an OA because if his late birthday? If so they will most likely keep Abraham because their 3rd OA spot would be McGuire and as much as I love him I think he may be the odd one out if some one is acquired through trade. I like the idea of getting a good 94 shut down type player but I am not sure what teams would be willing to part ways with a good 94 player at this point.

Kuleshov to me is interesting, he does seem like he has potential to be a very good player in this league but he seems uncomfortable on the ice so far this season. A good bulk of his -10 does come from their two blow out losses against London and Ottawa though. He was drafted in the first round in the KHL draft so I know he has to have some good skill but overall I have been a bit disappointed with him this season. He is only 17 now and has plenty of time to get used to the OHL. Maybe he is just having trouble adjusting to North American hockey. I think they need to monitor his development and see where he is at the conclusion of the season.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Well that depends on what you want to see. Do you want to watch a team that is more physical, a team with some high end prospects, or a team that Erie has a good chance of beating or at least having it be a good game?
I'd like to see a physical team. I'm a fan of McGuire! I followed the OHL last year, but I haven't as much this year.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I can see your points and I agree with you. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think Fox will be an OA because if his late birthday? If so they will most likely keep Abraham because their 3rd OA spot would be McGuire and as much as I love him I think he may be the odd one out if some one is acquired through trade. I like the idea of getting a good 94 shut down type player but I am not sure what teams would be willing to part ways with a good 94 player at this point.

Kuleshov to me is interesting, he does seem like he has potential to be a very good player in this league but he seems uncomfortable on the ice so far this season. A good bulk of his -10 does come from their two blow out losses against London and Ottawa though. He was drafted in the first round in the KHL draft so I know he has to have some good skill but overall I have been a bit disappointed with him this season. He is only 17 now and has plenty of time to get used to the OHL. Maybe he is just having trouble adjusting to North American hockey. I think they need to monitor his development and see where he is at the conclusion of the season.
Dane Fox would be considered an o/a next yr despite his late birthday as he will be 20 prior to dec 31/13
I could Mcguire as the third O/a next yr along with Fox and Abraham

Old
10-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Nothing Else Maattas

Looks like McDavid is playing for Team OHL in the Subway Series.

CanadianHockeyLeague @CHLHockey
Team #OHL #SubwaySeries roster changes: Connor McDavid @ErieOtters and Zach Hall @OHLBarrieColts replace Lessio and Gaunce Nov 8 in Guelph

Old
10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
See Kitchener if you can. Not only a divisional rival, but you can see your own Pittsburgh kid John Gibson.

But if you want physical, try for Plymouth or Owen Sound.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Dane Fox would be considered an o/a next yr despite his late birthday as he will be 20 prior to dec 31/13
I could Mcguire as the third O/a next yr along with Fox and Abraham
I thought the rule was that you had to be 20 before the year started to be considered an OA but I guess I was wrong. That's unfortunate because him not being an OA would have been huge for Erie.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
I thought the rule was that you had to be 20 before the year started to be considered an OA but I guess I was wrong. That's unfortunate because him not being an OA would have been huge for Erie.
OHL/CHL status ALWAYS goes by birth year. It's the NHL draft status that happens around the start of the hockey season. (ie. born late in the year, not eligible until the next year's draft). But for the OHL, if you are a 1992 birth this year, you're an overager. Period.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
See Kitchener if you can. Not only a divisional rival, but you can see your own Pittsburgh kid John Gibson.

But if you want physical, try for Plymouth or Owen Sound.
I agree with Tim Wallach, Kitchener has a lot of great prospects but if you are looking for physicality then Owen Sound or Plymouth. I know you like McGuire and Owen Sound has arguably the best fighter in the league on their team in Daniel Zweep. Maybe they will go this game but it is a much harder thing to predict with the new fight rules.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:47 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
I agree with Tim Wallach, Kitchener has a lot of great prospects but if you are looking for physicality then Owen Sound or Plymouth. I know you like McGuire and Owen Sound has arguably the best fighter in the league on their team in Daniel Zweep. Maybe they will go this game but it is a much harder thing to predict with the new fight rules.
January will probably be when we head up. I'd put Mathers above Zweep, though.

Kitchener, Sarnia, and maybe Barrie would be my options. We live a good distance away, so we can't do weekdays.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:20 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
January will probably be when we head up. I'd put Mathers above Zweep, though.

Kitchener, Sarnia, and maybe Barrie would be my options. We live a good distance away, so we can't do weekdays.
Ya I can understand that, the weekdays are sometimes hard to go to when you live in Erie. Barrie would be an interesting game because with the lock out they have some great prospects plus you could see Aaron Ekblad. Any way, I think Mathers, Zweep, and McGuire could all be argued the top fighter but it is very close.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
OHLFan8771

After the past two games this weekend it is blatantly obvious Bassin needs to do something. This team will not win if the defense continues to be this poor, also the coaching staff is terrible as well. I know that it was a tough year for Ftorek and I have always liked him but he needs to go along with Sidorkiewicz. I can not watch another game where Erie is losing and both coaches just stand behind the bench and say nothing. It is ridiculous when the Attack are up 6-1 and you see their coach drawing plays and being vocal, as apposed to the Erie bench where coaches say and do nothing.

Erie looks so unorganized out there it is laughable at times they have 14 wins in the last 85 games. Enough is enough this team has enough talent to have a much better record.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
After the past two games this weekend it is blatantly obvious Bassin needs to do something. This team will not win if the defense continues to be this poor, also the coaching staff is terrible as well. I know that it was a tough year for Ftorek and I have always liked him but he needs to go along with Sidorkiewicz. I can not watch another game where Erie is losing and both coaches just stand behind the bench and say nothing. It is ridiculous when the Attack are up 6-1 and you see their coach drawing plays and being vocal, as apposed to the Erie bench where coaches say and do nothing.

Erie looks so unorganized out there it is laughable at times they have 14 wins in the last 85 games. Enough is enough this team has enough talent to have a much better record.
I have been saying this about the coaching for the past 2 years ,their coaching is out of the 80"s its too bad the talent base is definitely improving,just not the coaching staff to teach and guide them
Trey Smith from Kitchener would be the ideal coach for this group,he is young,innovative,can relate to todays players,a former league player, and ready
The Otters like Oshawa have to hire a guy like DJ Smith,which in a number of ways is similiar to Trey Smith,not the old,tried and tired group of coaching

Old
11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:

+1

This teams passing and defense is a joke. When we are lucky enough to get into the other teams zone,we just pass until the other team takes the puck away. Shoot for gods sake!

I hate to harp on Glass,but for gods sake i can't stand to see this kid ice the puck anymore. Every time he gets the puck even if no one is around him he just shoots into the other teams zone and ices it. Skate with the puck already please!

Ftorek does nothing at all during the games. He just stands behind the bench and says nothing.I swear sometimes im not sure if he is alive.This team should be playing way better than they are. I'm not saying we are a top team by any means but we should be alot better than we are.

I sat through every home game last year,but let me tell you i think its harder to watch this season. We should be alot better and knowing that makes it worse. I wonder how long its going to take for Sherry to do something? I hope not much longer

Old
11-04-2012, 10:52 AM
bidzey

Quote:
+1

This teams passing and defense is a joke. When we are lucky enough to get into the other teams zone,we just pass until the other team takes the puck away. Shoot for gods sake!

I hate to harp on Glass,but for gods sake i can't stand to see this kid ice the puck anymore. Every time he gets the puck even if no one is around him he just shoots into the other teams zone and ices it. Skate with the puck already please!

Ftorek does nothing at all during the games. He just stands behind the bench and says nothing.I swear sometimes im not sure if he is alive.This team should be playing way better than they are. I'm not saying we are a top team by any means but we should be alot better than we are.

I sat through every home game last year,but let me tell you i think its harder to watch this season. We should be alot better and knowing that makes it worse. I wonder how long its going to take for Sherry to do something? I hope not much longer
I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement, but the score in both games were a bit deceiving. I listened to the first game on the radio, and watched the second game on a Web stream. Let's not forget they were playing the hottest team in the OHL right now. Owen Sound defense over all is second to none, still they gave Owen Sound a run for their money in the first game but lost it as the game progress, and in the second game they actually outplayed Owen Sound in the second period even though shots on goal were 12-12. Again they lost it as the game went on in the 3rd.

Erie just needs to learn to play 60 minutes and they'll be fine. It was the first time I seen an OHL game played in the States, I do have to say the very little amount of people that were there were awesome, but beyond that the arena itself sucks big time, and very small crowd doesn't help for motivation on the players either.

Closed Thread