Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 09:57 AM
fanner

vCash: 500
Not much here on Cairns....I see he is sort of producing. I used to see him play in Hamilton and was always impressed with his offensive talent level.

Thoughts, comments on his progression or lack thereof from folks who get to see him?

Good attitude? worker? or not much there...thx

Old
11-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Nothing Else Maattas

Dane Fox ‏@dane_fox
Great news from the doc today. Cleared to lace em up again #bouttime #bagskates #barrel

secondary scoring might return to the team very soon.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
OHLFan8771

Wow. McGuire had a great hit and after the replay it appeared to be clean and he get 5 for charging and the game.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Wow. McGuire had a great hit and after the replay it appeared to be clean and he get 5 for charging and the game.
That was a garbage call. The refs sucked all night long

Old
11-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Don't get to watch it on TV for whatever reason (Some broadcasters don't give the rights to other teams it seems), but from what Kitchener's radio team said; who are typically not biased, it sounds like it was about as clearly charging as you can get, and hit Llewellyn in the head (He did not return).

Old
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Don't get to watch it on TV for whatever reason (Some broadcasters don't give the rights to other teams it seems), but from what Kitchener's radio team said; who are typically not biased, it sounds like it was about as clearly charging as you can get, and hit Llewellyn in the head (He did not return).
It was definitely not a hit to the head, the replay showed the point of contact was Llewellyn chest/shoulder area. It could maybe be argued a charge I would have to see the full event and not just the contact, McGuire did not appear to leave his feet though and did not look like he did on the replay either. This is an example of a big hit that looked a lot worse than it was so he got the game for it. It is unfortunate that Llewellyn got hurt and I heard he is having some concussion symptoms so I wish him a quick recovery.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
That was a garbage call. The refs sucked all night long
The officiating was BRUTAL in this one. It was bad both ways but the boarding call on Pelech was garbage and that essentially ended the game when Kitchener scored on the late PP. They call that and McDavid gets hit at the blue line 15 feet from the puck but there is no interference call? I just have to shake my head at them sometimes, apparently last night Crisp was called for delay of game late and the puck clearly hit the glass before it went out. Guelph scored on that late PP and Erie lost 3-2. Roper said that game was terrible as well.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
It was definitely not a hit to the head, the replay showed the point of contact was Llewellyn chest/shoulder area. It could maybe be argued a charge I would have to see the full event and not just the contact, McGuire did not appear to leave his feet though and did not look like he did on the replay either. This is an example of a big hit that looked a lot worse than it was so he got the game for it. It is unfortunate that Llewellyn got hurt and I heard he is having some concussion symptoms so I wish him a quick recovery.
While leaving your feat is automatically charging, it's not a precondition to charging. Charging is a judgement call but it's pretty much called every time when you take more than 2 strides and hit someone, and it sounds like McGuire definitely exceeded that.

You also have to remember officating is called much stricter in the OHL, anything remotely close to charging, checking from behind, boarding, will get called.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

When is Erie going to make some changes with the Defence? They are constantly giving the puck away, icing the puck in panic mode, and giving up way too many shots on goal. Are there no other good Dmen they have drafted that would want to come here and help turn the tide? Lucky they have a good goalie(s) or they would be losing in the double figures some nights.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
When is Erie going to make some changes with the Defence? They are constantly giving the puck away, icing the puck in panic mode, and giving up way too many shots on goal. Are there no other good Dmen they have drafted that would want to come here and help turn the tide? Lucky they have a good goalie(s) or they would be losing in the double figures some nights.
Its not necessarily their defence corps that is the problem it is their TEAM defence. Watch how many shots come from the oppositions defenseman, thier point coverage is horrendous, the way most of their forwards back check with the exception of the top line is effortless. There is only so much you can do as a defenseman with point shots being blasted at the net and odd man rushes coming left right and centre.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:26 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
While leaving your feat is automatically charging, it's not a precondition to charging. Charging is a judgement call but it's pretty much called every time when you take more than 2 strides and hit someone, and it sounds like McGuire definitely exceeded that.

You also have to remember officating is called much stricter in the OHL, anything remotely close to charging, checking from behind, boarding, will get called.
I agree with everything you said but I just watched a video of the hit and McGuire really doesn't travel to far to make the hit. He takes two strides at most and then engages in the hit.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
I agree with everything you said but I just watched a video of the hit and McGuire really doesn't travel to far to make the hit. He takes two strides at most and then engages in the hit.
I think the refs look to call stuff on Johnny McGuire because he is one of the real tuff guys of the league and never give him any breaks.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowatcher View Post
I think the refs look to call stuff on Johnny McGuire because he is one of the real tuff guys of the league and never give him any breaks.
I think they do as well because of his reputation, in my opinion it was a hard clean hit with and unfortunate injury. With that being said I still expect Branch to give him a 5 game minimum for it.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
mapleleaf979

OHL8771...Dansk has 1 more year after this season right?

Old
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
OHL8771...Dansk has 1 more year after this season right?
Yes he does but his NHL team C-bus could send him to the AHL because he was drafted outside the CHL

Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yes he does but his NHL team C-bus could send him to the AHL because he was drafted outside the CHL
That is correct. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
That is correct. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.
I think u could get a sweet return for Dansk. First round pick and one 96 born prospect dont u think? Id consider trading him because when the 96 and 97 born players including a potential STUD from this years draft are all peaking Dansk will not be there. MY point is too possibly get something for the future before he is gone. Trading Dansk who has kept them in so many games could help them get another #1 pick and if a certain player(Sean Day) gets ES than that bodes well for the future.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think u could get a sweet return for Dansk. First round pick and one 96 born prospect dont u think? Id consider trading him because when the 96 and 97 born players including a potential STUD from this years draft are all peaking Dansk will not be there. MY point is too possibly get something for the future before he is gone. Trading Dansk who has kept them in so many games could help them get another #1 pick and if a certain player(Sean Day) gets ES than that bodes well for the future.
Plus the fact the Otters have another talented goalie in their stable,late 95 born Devin Williams to fall back on for them to make a deal if so desired

Old
11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
prowatcher

Quote:
I think they do as well because of his reputation, in my opinion it was a hard clean hit with and unfortunate injury. With that being said I still expect Branch to give him a 5 game minimum for it.
I agree with you it was a clean hit that did cause an injury. i hope that Branch really look at the tape. But I think he could give him the max of 15 game to send a message.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I agree with you it was a clean hit that did cause an injury. i hope that Branch really look at the tape. But I think he could give him the max of 15 game to send a message.
The league officials are viewing the hit today and the ruling should be tomorrow. It is sounding like McGuire will be sitting for at least a few considering I read that if they have not made a ruling he could be suspended indefinitely until one is made.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I agree with all of that, I think the only way they should consider that is if they get a great return. I am talking a return they would still be happy with if Dansk is in the league for an OA season even though that is looking unlikely. I was looking at the current standings and I am not sure what teams would be willing to dish that kind of price out for a goaltending upgrade. Dont get me wrong because obviously that position is vital but the teams that are potential "buyers" already seem pretty strong in goaltending. I dont know if teams would be willing to give up what Erie would be asking for considering Dansk takes up an import slot.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
The league officials are viewing the hit today and the ruling should be tomorrow. It is sounding like McGuire will be sitting for at least a few considering I read that if they have not made a ruling he could be suspended indefinitely until one is made.
This has all the earmarks of a suspension in the OHL. Veteran tough guy hits young skill player resulting in a concussion.

Add in that McGuire had just been embarrassed a bit on a hip check and the hit suddenly has a predatory air to it.

With "charging" there is a lot of grey area for disciplinarians to operate. They can simply deem a hit to have had too much violent intent. And that can apply to a lot of hits. But the bottom line is this league has consistently shown it wants to protect the skill players and the younger kids and - clean, or not - if you go after a kid with a vicious hit, you're taking your chances with the league office.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
OHLFan8771

No suspension for McGuire. I am a little surprised by that one but good news for Erie.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:33 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
No suspension for McGuire. I am a little surprised by that one but good news for Erie.
I was at the game tonight the coaching staff is the worst i have ever seen. and the defence coach has been there to long and need to be fired he runs the Defences like crap. There is a lot of talent there but he doesnt know what he is doing.I hope the GM Sherrie Bassen gets new coaches soon or this team that has the best player ever MacDavid will be asking for a trade. and that will really hurt. this game was lost but poor coaching

Old
11-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I was at the game tonight the coaching staff is the worst i have ever seen. and the defence coach has been there to long and need to be fired he runs the Defences like crap. There is a lot of talent there but he doesnt know what he is doing.I hope the GM Sherrie Bassen gets new coaches soon or this team that has the best player ever MacDavid will be asking for a trade. and that will really hurt. this game was lost but poor coaching
I was talking to someone last night at the game and they said Ftorek would be gone over the christmas break.
I dont know why you would continue to wait if its true,but i guess if it is late is better than never

Closed Thread