HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 09:57 AM
  #326
fanner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Not much here on Cairns....I see he is sort of producing. I used to see him play in Hamilton and was always impressed with his offensive talent level.

Thoughts, comments on his progression or lack thereof from folks who get to see him?

Good attitude? worker? or not much there...thx

fanner is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:50 AM
  #327
Nothing Else Maattas
Registered User
 
Nothing Else Maattas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Dane Fox ‏@dane_fox
Great news from the doc today. Cleared to lace em up again #bouttime #bagskates #barrel

secondary scoring might return to the team very soon.

Nothing Else Maattas is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
  #328
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Wow. McGuire had a great hit and after the replay it appeared to be clean and he get 5 for charging and the game.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
  #329
Otters Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Wow. McGuire had a great hit and after the replay it appeared to be clean and he get 5 for charging and the game.
That was a garbage call. The refs sucked all night long

Otters Fan is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:09 PM
  #330
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 500
Don't get to watch it on TV for whatever reason (Some broadcasters don't give the rights to other teams it seems), but from what Kitchener's radio team said; who are typically not biased, it sounds like it was about as clearly charging as you can get, and hit Llewellyn in the head (He did not return).

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
  #331
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Don't get to watch it on TV for whatever reason (Some broadcasters don't give the rights to other teams it seems), but from what Kitchener's radio team said; who are typically not biased, it sounds like it was about as clearly charging as you can get, and hit Llewellyn in the head (He did not return).
It was definitely not a hit to the head, the replay showed the point of contact was Llewellyn chest/shoulder area. It could maybe be argued a charge I would have to see the full event and not just the contact, McGuire did not appear to leave his feet though and did not look like he did on the replay either. This is an example of a big hit that looked a lot worse than it was so he got the game for it. It is unfortunate that Llewellyn got hurt and I heard he is having some concussion symptoms so I wish him a quick recovery.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
  #332
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
That was a garbage call. The refs sucked all night long
The officiating was BRUTAL in this one. It was bad both ways but the boarding call on Pelech was garbage and that essentially ended the game when Kitchener scored on the late PP. They call that and McDavid gets hit at the blue line 15 feet from the puck but there is no interference call? I just have to shake my head at them sometimes, apparently last night Crisp was called for delay of game late and the puck clearly hit the glass before it went out. Guelph scored on that late PP and Erie lost 3-2. Roper said that game was terrible as well.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
  #333
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
It was definitely not a hit to the head, the replay showed the point of contact was Llewellyn chest/shoulder area. It could maybe be argued a charge I would have to see the full event and not just the contact, McGuire did not appear to leave his feet though and did not look like he did on the replay either. This is an example of a big hit that looked a lot worse than it was so he got the game for it. It is unfortunate that Llewellyn got hurt and I heard he is having some concussion symptoms so I wish him a quick recovery.
While leaving your feat is automatically charging, it's not a precondition to charging. Charging is a judgement call but it's pretty much called every time when you take more than 2 strides and hit someone, and it sounds like McGuire definitely exceeded that.

You also have to remember officating is called much stricter in the OHL, anything remotely close to charging, checking from behind, boarding, will get called.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
  #334
bigdogsnipedaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
When is Erie going to make some changes with the Defence? They are constantly giving the puck away, icing the puck in panic mode, and giving up way too many shots on goal. Are there no other good Dmen they have drafted that would want to come here and help turn the tide? Lucky they have a good goalie(s) or they would be losing in the double figures some nights.

bigdogsnipedaddy is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
  #335
BramptonFan09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brampton, ON
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
When is Erie going to make some changes with the Defence? They are constantly giving the puck away, icing the puck in panic mode, and giving up way too many shots on goal. Are there no other good Dmen they have drafted that would want to come here and help turn the tide? Lucky they have a good goalie(s) or they would be losing in the double figures some nights.
Its not necessarily their defence corps that is the problem it is their TEAM defence. Watch how many shots come from the oppositions defenseman, thier point coverage is horrendous, the way most of their forwards back check with the exception of the top line is effortless. There is only so much you can do as a defenseman with point shots being blasted at the net and odd man rushes coming left right and centre.

BramptonFan09 is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 05:26 PM
  #336
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
While leaving your feat is automatically charging, it's not a precondition to charging. Charging is a judgement call but it's pretty much called every time when you take more than 2 strides and hit someone, and it sounds like McGuire definitely exceeded that.

You also have to remember officating is called much stricter in the OHL, anything remotely close to charging, checking from behind, boarding, will get called.
I agree with everything you said but I just watched a video of the hit and McGuire really doesn't travel to far to make the hit. He takes two strides at most and then engages in the hit.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
  #337
prowatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with everything you said but I just watched a video of the hit and McGuire really doesn't travel to far to make the hit. He takes two strides at most and then engages in the hit.
I think the refs look to call stuff on Johnny McGuire because he is one of the real tuff guys of the league and never give him any breaks.

prowatcher is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
  #338
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowatcher View Post
I think the refs look to call stuff on Johnny McGuire because he is one of the real tuff guys of the league and never give him any breaks.
I think they do as well because of his reputation, in my opinion it was a hard clean hit with and unfortunate injury. With that being said I still expect Branch to give him a 5 game minimum for it.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
  #339
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
OHL8771...Dansk has 1 more year after this season right?

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
  #340
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
OHL8771...Dansk has 1 more year after this season right?
Yes he does but his NHL team C-bus could send him to the AHL because he was drafted outside the CHL

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
  #341
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yes he does but his NHL team C-bus could send him to the AHL because he was drafted outside the CHL
That is correct. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
  #342
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
That is correct. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.
I think u could get a sweet return for Dansk. First round pick and one 96 born prospect dont u think? Id consider trading him because when the 96 and 97 born players including a potential STUD from this years draft are all peaking Dansk will not be there. MY point is too possibly get something for the future before he is gone. Trading Dansk who has kept them in so many games could help them get another #1 pick and if a certain player(Sean Day) gets ES than that bodes well for the future.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
  #343
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think u could get a sweet return for Dansk. First round pick and one 96 born prospect dont u think? Id consider trading him because when the 96 and 97 born players including a potential STUD from this years draft are all peaking Dansk will not be there. MY point is too possibly get something for the future before he is gone. Trading Dansk who has kept them in so many games could help them get another #1 pick and if a certain player(Sean Day) gets ES than that bodes well for the future.
Plus the fact the Otters have another talented goalie in their stable,late 95 born Devin Williams to fall back on for them to make a deal if so desired

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
  #344
prowatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I think they do as well because of his reputation, in my opinion it was a hard clean hit with and unfortunate injury. With that being said I still expect Branch to give him a 5 game minimum for it.
I agree with you it was a clean hit that did cause an injury. i hope that Branch really look at the tape. But I think he could give him the max of 15 game to send a message.

prowatcher is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
  #345
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowatcher View Post
I agree with you it was a clean hit that did cause an injury. i hope that Branch really look at the tape. But I think he could give him the max of 15 game to send a message.
The league officials are viewing the hit today and the ruling should be tomorrow. It is sounding like McGuire will be sitting for at least a few considering I read that if they have not made a ruling he could be suspended indefinitely until one is made.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  #346
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think u could get a sweet return for Dansk. First round pick and one 96 born prospect dont u think? Id consider trading him because when the 96 and 97 born players including a potential STUD from this years draft are all peaking Dansk will not be there. MY point is too possibly get something for the future before he is gone. Trading Dansk who has kept them in so many games could help them get another #1 pick and if a certain player(Sean Day) gets ES than that bodes well for the future.
I agree with all of that, I think the only way they should consider that is if they get a great return. I am talking a return they would still be happy with if Dansk is in the league for an OA season even though that is looking unlikely. I was looking at the current standings and I am not sure what teams would be willing to dish that kind of price out for a goaltending upgrade. Dont get me wrong because obviously that position is vital but the teams that are potential "buyers" already seem pretty strong in goaltending. I dont know if teams would be willing to give up what Erie would be asking for considering Dansk takes up an import slot.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
  #347
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
The league officials are viewing the hit today and the ruling should be tomorrow. It is sounding like McGuire will be sitting for at least a few considering I read that if they have not made a ruling he could be suspended indefinitely until one is made.
This has all the earmarks of a suspension in the OHL. Veteran tough guy hits young skill player resulting in a concussion.

Add in that McGuire had just been embarrassed a bit on a hip check and the hit suddenly has a predatory air to it.

With "charging" there is a lot of grey area for disciplinarians to operate. They can simply deem a hit to have had too much violent intent. And that can apply to a lot of hits. But the bottom line is this league has consistently shown it wants to protect the skill players and the younger kids and - clean, or not - if you go after a kid with a vicious hit, you're taking your chances with the league office.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
  #348
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
No suspension for McGuire. I am a little surprised by that one but good news for Erie.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 09:33 PM
  #349
prowatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
No suspension for McGuire. I am a little surprised by that one but good news for Erie.
I was at the game tonight the coaching staff is the worst i have ever seen. and the defence coach has been there to long and need to be fired he runs the Defences like crap. There is a lot of talent there but he doesnt know what he is doing.I hope the GM Sherrie Bassen gets new coaches soon or this team that has the best player ever MacDavid will be asking for a trade. and that will really hurt. this game was lost but poor coaching

prowatcher is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 06:04 AM
  #350
Otters Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowatcher View Post
I was at the game tonight the coaching staff is the worst i have ever seen. and the defence coach has been there to long and need to be fired he runs the Defences like crap. There is a lot of talent there but he doesnt know what he is doing.I hope the GM Sherrie Bassen gets new coaches soon or this team that has the best player ever MacDavid will be asking for a trade. and that will really hurt. this game was lost but poor coaching
I was talking to someone last night at the game and they said Ftorek would be gone over the christmas break.
I dont know why you would continue to wait if its true,but i guess if it is late is better than never

Otters Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.