Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
KnightSpit

vCash: 500
Hey MapleLeaf
I saw a bit of the game on TV. That Kuleshov, is a walking (not skating) pylon. Sorry to say I think you guys are stuck forever with the player. Probably has a no trade, no movement, never be sent back to the motherland clause in the contract and probably only signed with a clause stating he must play in at least 50 games and no healthy scratch. Ask yourself would you jump on a plane from Russia, if you did not get that type of contact > No Way. so much for the KHL, great scouting LOL ! That explains why that guy you have Felker, is not getting any Ice Time and that Murphy kid is playing elsewhere.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
KnightSpit

Saturday Night Game

Hey

Was anyone at the game on Saturday in Erie. Is it true that at one point in the 8 to nothing slaughter, that fans started throwing stuffed toys onto the ice ?? Wow it does not get any worse than that. I guess that is Rock Bottom. Wonder how McDavid feels about all this. Class act deserves so much better.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
mapleleaf979

In the 5th round Erie drafted Raddyish over so many really good available players one being David Miller. One of the highest hockey IQ in the draft. Trevor Dulong was available, They drafted Greg Allen who can not skate properly. Even in the 6th round they took Lattavo from the young nats over D.Miller. They took G.Allen ahead of Muzyka, Illekys,D.CArty, S.DEsrocher. I dunno what they were doing after the Hodgeson pick. Terrible. That type of stuff will bite u eventually. Even in the 2nd round they passed on Sanvido who is big but has meat on his bones. I like Felker but he needs another 30 pounds on his frame to handle big boys in front of the net trying to bang in rebounds or even puck battles. Sanvido outweighs Felker by 45-50 pounds.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey

Was anyone at the game on Saturday in Erie. Is it true that at one point in the 8 to nothing slaughter, that fans started throwing stuffed toys onto the ice ?? Wow it does not get any worse than that. I guess that is Rock Bottom. Wonder how McDavid feels about all this. Class act deserves so much better.
I think it was Teddy Bear night like every team in the league has, problem was Erie got shut out. What do you want the people to do with their Bears? They brought them to throw them I say throw them.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey

Yeah I was at the game on Saturday but I think the entire incident has been blown out of proportion. Did the fans through the bears on the ice after the 5th goal? yes they did but for the most part it was not to embarrass the Otters. A few girls in section 22 tossed theirs on after the goal, followed by another three or four people and that triggered more people to throw them. Once about 20 bears were on the ice I think people just sort of said well I guess we are throwing them now and then threw theirs.
I do feel bad for the players as if I were playing I would take that as a slap to the face but at the same time you have to hold them accountable. 4,100 people came to that game excited for the teddy bear toss and they came out and did not want to play what so ever, they got smoked the whole game and pretty much quit after the 4th goal. Erie fans have proven time and time again they are among the top in the league for fan support and they are the loudest in the league, however how can we be loud if we have nothing to cheer for in a game. How many other teams with Erie's record would have an attendance of 4,100? I would say maybe one or two teams.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
In the 5th round Erie drafted Raddyish over so many really good available players one being David Miller. One of the highest hockey IQ in the draft. Trevor Dulong was available, They drafted Greg Allen who can not skate properly. Even in the 6th round they took Lattavo from the young nats over D.Miller. They took G.Allen ahead of Muzyka, Illekys,D.CArty, S.DEsrocher. I dunno what they were doing after the Hodgeson pick. Terrible. That type of stuff will bite u eventually. Even in the 2nd round they passed on Sanvido who is big but has meat on his bones. I like Felker but he needs another 30 pounds on his frame to handle big boys in front of the net trying to bang in rebounds or even puck battles. Sanvido outweighs Felker by 45-50 pounds.
Yeah I agree with you here Malpeleaf, every pick after the 3rd round I was waiting and waiting for them to say they drafted David Miller, well that never happened and the Soo got a steal. I like the pick of Raddyish as he has a great release but I know he may have a tough time making the team, I also do not understand the pick of Lattavo at all. I watched him at the rookie camp and he certainly looked out of place. I think they could have drafted him in the last round if they wanted him that badly.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Yeah I was at the game on Saturday but I think the entire incident has been blown out of proportion. Did the fans through the bears on the ice after the 5th goal? yes they did but for the most part it was not to embarrass the Otters. A few girls in section 22 tossed theirs on after the goal, followed by another three or four people and that triggered more people to throw them. Once about 20 bears were on the ice I think people just sort of said well I guess we are throwing them now and then threw theirs.
I do feel bad for the players as if I were playing I would take that as a slap to the face but at the same time you have to hold them accountable. 4,100 people came to that game excited for the teddy bear toss and they came out and did not want to play what so ever, they got smoked the whole game and pretty much quit after the 4th goal. Erie fans have proven time and time again they are among the top in the league for fan support and they are the loudest in the league, however how can we be loud if we have nothing to cheer for in a game. How many other teams with Erie's record would have an attendance of 4,100? I would say maybe one or two teams.
I think too much has been made out of this. Shame on the fans for quitting on their team and shame on the team for not showing up. The only winners are the kids receiving all those stuffed animals for Christmas!

Old
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Yeah I agree with you here Malpeleaf, every pick after the 3rd round I was waiting and waiting for them to say they drafted David Miller, well that never happened and the Soo got a steal. I like the pick of Raddyish as he has a great release but I know he may have a tough time making the team, I also do not understand the pick of Lattavo at all. I watched him at the rookie camp and he certainly looked out of place. I think they could have drafted him in the last round if they wanted him that badly.
Was Riley Robertson at camp? How did he look? Santino Centorame was available when they choose Robertson. Erie looks like they drafted there players after looking at a sizing chart. Raddyish was a 5-6 Dman last year. Moved from Forward in his earlier years, i think. He does have a nice shot, but for a defenseman he is far away from getting all the details squared away. He isnt that big either for a Dman in the O. U can make up for lack of size by being fierce but I guess they didnt see Miller play enough. Tough as nails. Why not take a flyer on Jake Evans who went 8th round. Committed to Notre Dame and let people know that, but still take a risk like Barrie did with Lemieux. Kids change there mind. Jake Evans has NHL scouts looking at him at Buzzers game. Apparently they are looking at Troy Joseph and Jake Evans is jumping out at them. If he is on the Buzzers next year, Evans will have a ton of NHL scouts looking at him specifically. Evans has 12 powerplay assists in 27 games. 29 points in those games. They could have drafted any of the Mississauga Rebels Defenseman who had a super, super strong 6 guys who all had size and the coach rolled the lines because the talent wasnt a big drop off. Alot of the Rebels talented D-core fell in the draft.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Styx and Stones

The grind of playing in the OHL is very difficult on young players who are trying to balance going to school, living in billet homes and playing a much higher level of hockey than they have played before. Erie has one of the youngest rosters in the league and therefore the burnout is higher than it would be on most other teams. The Teddy situation was unfortunate for all. Obviously fans are frustrated. However, what is perceived by some as a lack of effort, is simply exhaustion and quite frankly, not being good enough at this time. Overall, this team has played much better than last year and perhaps expectations are a little too high for this group this year based on the large number of close losses. Add in a new coach with new systems and it is perhaps understandable that they crapped the bed against a good Guelph team. Most of the kids on this team are still in high school while London does not even have a single 96 player on their roster. I guess my point is that as difficult as it may be for long suffering Erie fans, a little more patience is going to have to be shown with this group.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Was Riley Robertson at camp? How did he look? Santino Centorame was available when they choose Robertson. Erie looks like they drafted there players after looking at a sizing chart. Raddyish was a 5-6 Dman last year. Moved from Forward in his earlier years, i think. He does have a nice shot, but for a defenseman he is far away from getting all the details squared away. He isnt that big either for a Dman in the O. U can make up for lack of size by being fierce but I guess they didnt see Miller play enough. Tough as nails. Why not take a flyer on Jake Evans who went 8th round. Committed to Notre Dame and let people know that, but still take a risk like Barrie did with Lemieux. Kids change there mind. Jake Evans has NHL scouts looking at him at Buzzers game. Apparently they are looking at Troy Joseph and Jake Evans is jumping out at them. If he is on the Buzzers next year, Evans will have a ton of NHL scouts looking at him specifically. Evans has 12 powerplay assists in 27 games. 29 points in those games. They could have drafted any of the Mississauga Rebels Defenseman who had a super, super strong 6 guys who all had size and the coach rolled the lines because the talent wasnt a big drop off. Alot of the Rebels talented D-core fell in the draft.
When I went to the rookie camp I do not believe that Robertson was there because he had suffered a lengthy injury and that kept him out. During the training camp I believe he was there but that was the first time he had played in some time and he was a long shot to make the team anyway I think. Honestly that is about all I know about him as there really is not much talk of him beyond that.
Evans was another kid that I really wanted Erie to take, unfortunately that did not happen and he seems like he is playing really well right now. I also like Centorame and another one was Jonathan Duchesne because I think he can develop into a big shut down player. However Erie did take Dylan Larkin in the 13th round and he would most likely been a first round pick if committed to the OHL. I have not heard anything about him reporting or not reporting in the future.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
The grind of playing in the OHL is very difficult on young players who are trying to balance going to school, living in billet homes and playing a much higher level of hockey than they have played before. Erie has one of the youngest rosters in the league and therefore the burnout is higher than it would be on most other teams. The Teddy situation was unfortunate for all. Obviously fans are frustrated. However, what is perceived by some as a lack of effort, is simply exhaustion and quite frankly, not being good enough at this time. Overall, this team has played much better than last year and perhaps expectations are a little too high for this group this year based on the large number of close losses. Add in a new coach with new systems and it is perhaps understandable that they crapped the bed against a good Guelph team. Most of the kids on this team are still in high school while London does not even have a single 96 player on their roster. I guess my point is that as difficult as it may be for long suffering Erie fans, a little more patience is going to have to be shown with this group.
I could not agree more with you in regards to how difficult the adjustment can be. I for one probably would have had a hard time if I moved to a different country, lived with a billet family, and had to adjust to a much faster and skilled game than what I was used to. I think some fans do tend to forget how hard it is on the players because really they are all young. I mean look at Artem Kuleshov he is 17 and moved away from his home which is practically across the world to a new country that speaks a different language and that has a different lifestyle. That is why I felt terrible with the whole teddy bear incident and I think the best thing for the team would just forget it happened, the past is the past and a team with such potential needs to just focus on the future.
I for one know that it can be difficult for the fans as I have had season tickets for 13 seasons now but I will never stop supporting the team no matter what happens. I have all the patience that is needed but unfortunately some others do not. Anyway I think the best thing for them would be to focus on improving and finishing the second half of the season showing the improvements in comparison to the first half. I do not expect them to turn into an experienced division contending team over night.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 12-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 05:39 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Just because better players were available doesn't mean they would report to Erie. This is where the interview process is critical in evaluation of how a younger player can handle the stresses of moving away from home. You get to see their character, not only on the ice but off the ice. And you have to throw minor midget stats and play out the window, its a new ball game, players get stronger each year.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Just because better players were available doesn't mean they would report to Erie. This is where the interview process is critical in evaluation of how a younger player can handle the stresses of moving away from home. You get to see their character, not only on the ice but off the ice. And you have to throw minor midget stats and play out the window, its a new ball game, players get stronger each year.
Thats a good point, at the same time I doubt the list of available players said no to Erie. It a risk for players outside the top 1-2 rounds playing that game. When we are talking 4th round and later Im sure most would say yes or they can risk not getting drafted at all.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Thats a good point, at the same time I doubt the list of available players said no to Erie. It a risk for players outside the top 1-2 rounds playing that game. When we are talking 4th round and later Im sure most would say yes or they can risk not getting drafted at all.
You never know sometimes, some players I've talked to in the past said they would not report to Erie, Plymouth, or Saginaw and they were drafted post 4th round, so a whole bunch of things to keep an eye on. All scouts are different and while some like players being effective on the OHL stage, others don't. You won't know every player's developmental curve, each pick is a risk.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 12-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
You never know sometimes, some players I've talked to in the past said they would not report to Erie, Plymouth, or Saginaw and they were drafted post 4th round, so a hope bunch of things to keep an eye on. All scouts are different and while some like players being effective on the OHL stage, others don't. You won't know every players developmental curve, each pick is a risk.
There are lots of players that play those games and tell the Saginaws, Plymouths, Erie, Sudbury's, etc. that they're either going NCAA or won't report and rather than get drafted in say the 2nd round they drop a round or two yet get picked up by one of the teams that they'd rather go to like say a London, Kitchener, Windsor, etc. Happens every year and the Agents are right in on it. Smaller market teams and teams way out in no man's land have to fight against that issue as well. And you can't blame the Saginaws of the world for not taking the risk and drafting someone that may very well not report or might in fact really be going NCAA. Losing one of the early round picks is not how you build strong teams.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:12 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
#9 Abraham and Kuleshov #19 against Brampton today played terrible. I dont see every Erie game but what I saw from them from a decision making standpoint was terrible. Erie defenseman aside from Pelech, make horrible outlet passes. Abraham panics and just wants to get rid of the puck, doesnt matter where it goes. This happened on so many occasions. The third or fourth goal was a result of 2 turnovers in there own zone, trying to make horrible outlet passes and finally they made them pay for it. They need to work on breaking out. Today I really questioned what the heck the Coach was doing. I have no idea why Erie tries 100 foot passes all game long, which never seemed to work. I dont know why they wont stop that asap. Ya they are low on talent right now but Im not sure why those long stretch passes are constant. They would love a puck rusher. Mcdowell I like his skating alot. Pelech can skate well for a big man, but they would love an elite puck mover who can skate that puck up the ice. Donnay is big but in small spaces he moves very slowly. Id really play Felker in a Top 4 and PP role alot down the stretch. I like Hodgeson skating and his upside. I like him playing with Harper. I feel bad for the team, I know how tiring losing gets. Dansk is a fantastic goalie, he deserves so much credit for not snapping at his teammates. This must be tough on him. I like how Erie drafted in the begginning of the draft, but was very puzzled with other parts. I hope they can draft well this year. The first round is the easiest part of the draft. If they can do something like the Soo did this year grabbing a few really good guys in the 5-6 rounds, it would be fantastic.
Abraham was Eries best defenseman on Sunday afternoon don't know what game you were watching maybe you had him mixed up with someone like Donnay who was brutal and possibly Felker. He skated well moved the puck, rushed the puck, made some good defensive plays." The third or fourth goal was a result of 2 turnovers in there own zone, trying to make horrible outlet passes and finally they made them pay for it," Abraham was even on the day wasn't on for a goal against nor a goal for. Besides Pelech and McDowell his panic thresh hold is better than the others. Not sayings hes an unbelievable player but he played well on sunday and minus the giveaway on the 8th goal against guelph He had a good weekend. The problem with this defense is no one outside of Pelech is consistent. McDowell is close but outside of that it is hit or miss.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
Holy mackerel! What happened? Sherry pass you up for the job or something? Anybody who can trot names out like that (albeit from mostly the 96 rebels to the exception of just about everyone else east of the Mississippi) has gotta be a hired gun.

I guess you and Sherry Bassin differ big time and as none of the guys you mention on the one hand while tearing into a bunch of others we drafted on the other is even in the OHL yet I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out in the next couple of years to see who was closer to the mark.

You take a shot at drafting using a size chart one second and criticize picking up Felker when Sanvido was still available because of his size the next. Wasn't Robertson the biggest kid in the draft? Weren't Raddysh and Allen on that 96 powerhouse Marlie team? And Latavo was probably one of the best open ice hitters up front in the GTHL last year according to some. Sanvido over Felker? Not from what I've seen. We'll see next year I guess.

Geez, to hear you say it you'd think all these guys after Hodson(?) were garbage and I highly doubt that even if I don't know the draft order backwards and forwards and every Miss Rebel that laced up skates last year. No offence to them as I'm sure they are all gonna be superstars.

We'll see I guess. I think the future is a lot brighter than you that's for sure.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:01 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

Perhaps its time to grab the top 2 Dmen and top 2 Fwds in the system and bring them on board now. It would likely end up being a near last place finish this year, resulting in a good pick, and give 4 young players some time this year to get their feet wet.
Who would be the top guys to bring in to finish the season with Erie and who would you move out?

Old
12-11-2012, 08:17 AM
hockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
Perhaps its time to grab the top 2 Dmen and top 2 Fwds in the system and bring them on board now. It would likely end up being a near last place finish this year, resulting in a good pick, and give 4 young players some time this year to get their feet wet.
Who would be the top guys to bring in to finish the season with Erie and who would you move out?
I would love to see erie add a dman or 2 or maybe a solid forward. But the thing is who do you trade? I think this team has so much young talent with McDavid, Harper, Brown, Hodgson and even Cairns and Crisp. They dont lack talent just lack of experience and consistent play.
They do have a lot of draft picks that could be traded because we all know erie isnt the greatest at drafting players

it would just be a shame to not see this team have a very successfull season next year with the new arena and all the young talent they have all around

Old
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieWatcher View Post
I would love to see erie add a dman or 2 or maybe a solid forward. But the thing is who do you trade? I think this team has so much young talent with McDavid, Harper, Brown, Hodgson and even Cairns and Crisp. They dont lack talent just lack of experience and consistent play.
They do have a lot of draft picks that could be traded because we all know erie isnt the greatest at drafting players

it would just be a shame to not see this team have a very successfull season next year with the new arena and all the young talent they have all around
Erie running out and trading for players or bring them up with out understaning what the new coach is try to do first could create a bigger problem as coach you want to have a say in your roster.That way he can tell Sherrie what type of player he is looking for to sure up the team .Trading for a player has cost the small cost are the picks you give up the larger cost is the educational package a player has in his contract the team has to pay for at the time of the trade.I think sinces we have a new coach we have to give him sometime. The team understand the trade dead line is Jan 10 next year so they can't wait to long. As fans we can make all the comments we want,but it is the team that has to bear the cost win or loss at the end of the day.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyballHockey View Post
Holy mackerel! What happened? Sherry pass you up for the job or something? Anybody who can trot names out like that (albeit from mostly the 96 rebels to the exception of just about everyone else east of the Mississippi) has gotta be a hired gun.

I guess you and Sherry Bassin differ big time and as none of the guys you mention on the one hand while tearing into a bunch of others we drafted on the other is even in the OHL yet I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out in the next couple of years to see who was closer to the mark.

You take a shot at drafting using a size chart one second and criticize picking up Felker when Sanvido was still available because of his size the next. Wasn't Robertson the biggest kid in the draft? Weren't Raddysh and Allen on that 96 powerhouse Marlie team? And Latavo was probably one of the best open ice hitters up front in the GTHL last year according to some. Sanvido over Felker? Not from what I've seen. We'll see next year I guess.

Geez, to hear you say it you'd think all these guys after Hodson(?) were garbage and I highly doubt that even if I don't know the draft order backwards and forwards and every Miss Rebel that laced up skates last year. No offence to them as I'm sure they are all gonna be superstars.

We'll see I guess. I think the future is a lot brighter than you that's for sure.
U said "we drafted"? I doubt u work with the Otters. I KNOW they could have drafted alot better after the 4th round. The fact u are all pissy about it, I couldnt care less. The 96 Marlies were a powerhouse, but unfortunately U have no clue what made that team a powerhouse. U think u can grab 2 guys off that team and allege they were "powerhouses" or great players. Your wrong. Those 2 were not top 10 players on that team. The Rebels had the best defense core in Ontario. Marlies were vulernable on the backend and goalie, with the exception to Mckeown. Go do your homework. Thats fine u can agree with Bassin's Lattavo pick, I would have taken David Miller or Centorame. Go look at there draft history, this is a waste of time. U clearly have never seen the 96 rebels play and if u did u have no clue what your watching.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
U said "we drafted"? I doubt u work with the Otters. I KNOW they could have drafted alot better after the 4th round. The fact u are all pissy about it, I couldnt care less. The 96 Marlies were a powerhouse, but unfortunately U have no clue what made that team a powerhouse. U think u can grab 2 guys off that team and allege they were "powerhouses" or great players. Your wrong. Those 2 were not top 10 players on that team. The Rebels had the best defense core in Ontario. Marlies were vulernable on the backend and goalie, with the exception to Mckeown. Go do your homework. Thats fine u can agree with Bassin's Lattavo pick, I would have taken David Miller or Centorame. Go look at there draft history, this is a waste of time. U clearly have never seen the 96 rebels play and if u did u have no clue what your watching.
LOL! You are so right. Anyone who watched the GTHL saw that the powerhouse Marlies had 2 d-men who had high end abilities, the rest were just decent. Rebels had more of those but no McKeown. Rebels had a few players who went too late, while the Marlies had those that went too early!

Old
12-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
LOL! You are so right. Anyone who watched the GTHL saw that the powerhouse Marlies had 2 d-men who had high end abilities, the rest were just decent. Rebels had more of those but no McKeown. Rebels had a few players who went too late, while the Marlies had those that went too early!
Ken Strong's system also helped his D-men, ring it around the boards as hard as you can, winger will ALWAYS be there otherwise have a seat........not to mention playing the crap out of McKeown et al mitigated weaknesses lower down the pecking order.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
mapleleaf979

Connor Mcdavid is reported to be close to signing 15 yr deal with Reebok.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=411371

Old
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Connor Mcdavid is reported to be close to signing 15 yr deal with Reebok.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=411371
Yeah I read that yesterday, what an honor and congratulations to him. Terrific kid and he deserves it.

Closed Thread