Old
01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
clearwater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
No way that we had 3100 tonight.
We out played them all game,too bad the score didnt reflect it
That's exactly how we felt when we out played you guys Saturday and lost.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
That's exactly how we felt when we out played you guys Saturday and lost.
I'd say that game Saturday was a pretty even game. Williams just played great and we didn't capitalize on our good chances like Erie did.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
KnightSpit

Erie Playoffs and Next Year ???

Well with the Spits winning on a guttsy perfromance last night 3 to 2 and the Spirit winning as well, looks like Erie is all but done for the Playoffs. Anyone disagree?, I mean anything could happen, but one of either Windsor and or Saginaw would have to collapse and then the Otters would have to go on like a 5 game winning streak. Too bad as I would have really like to have seen Erie paly the Spits or Knights and I still hope via some miracle Saginaw falls and Erie does get in.

Too bad for McDavid as we will not see what he can do in the playoffs, guess you guys need some major re tooling for next year. Also, thanks for Marchese, although he is out right now him and Ho-Sang have been playing well together.

Any major predections from Erie on what changes will take place next year. I really like that Williams kid as a goalie.. Do not know what you are gonna do with that Russian D, who what was a first round KHL pick and turned out to be a bust, hard to trade that and you brought in another D at the trade deadline, who is what now a OHL career Minus 50 or something? What about your new coach how would you rate him so far? You know who would make a great coach in my opionion, not that Bassin could afford him, or any OHL team could for that matter, is what about Jeremy Roenick. The guy still loves hockey so much, not that he needs the money or would want the job, maybe he might even do it for free. Thanks good luck the rest of the way, you still have what has to be one of if not the best group of fans in the O.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
mapleleaf979

I watched the Erie vs Kitchener game last night. Erie relies on Pelech when the back end is getting forechecked like crazy. Without Pelech alot of there Dmen struggly to win battles down low and get the puck out. Last night, Erie showed again that the Dmen leaving there own zone struggle quite a bit and turn the puck over making that first pass. Kuleshov really struggled last night. Donnay also struggled making a tape to tape pass leaving his zone. They were attempting long cross ice passes that ended up in turnovers and scoring chances. Id imagine Erie selects a top end Dmen in the 2013 draft. Maybe Werenski wants to stay south of the border and go here, Matt Spencer would be another excellent fit here. Erie having MCdavid surely helps bringing other top end picks to come to Erie. I wonder if Erie considers finding Mcdavid a winger to play with for years to come. Luke Kirwan's game also suits this team in a big way.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Well with the Spits winning on a guttsy perfromance last night 3 to 2 and the Spirit winning as well, looks like Erie is all but done for the Playoffs. Anyone disagree?, I mean anything could happen, but one of either Windsor and or Saginaw would have to collapse and then the Otters would have to go on like a 5 game winning streak. Too bad as I would have really like to have seen Erie paly the Spits or Knights and I still hope via some miracle Saginaw falls and Erie does get in.

Too bad for McDavid as we will not see what he can do in the playoffs, guess you guys need some major re tooling for next year. Also, thanks for Marchese, although he is out right now him and Ho-Sang have been playing well together.

Any major predections from Erie on what changes will take place next year. I really like that Williams kid as a goalie.. Do not know what you are gonna do with that Russian D, who what was a first round KHL pick and turned out to be a bust, hard to trade that and you brought in another D at the trade deadline, who is what now a OHL career Minus 50 or something? What about your new coach how would you rate him so far? You know who would make a great coach in my opionion, not that Bassin could afford him, or any OHL team could for that matter, is what about Jeremy Roenick. The guy still loves hockey so much, not that he needs the money or would want the job, maybe he might even do it for free. Thanks good luck the rest of the way, you still have what has to be one of if not the best group of fans in the O.

I Erie is pretty much done with having a shot at the playoffs this season. This team still has major problems getting the puck out of its own end.
Other than Pelech-Abraham-McDowell our defense is a joke.
Donnay makes way to many bad passes for a guy thats been in the Ohl a couple of seasons. He's also not physical at all and guys skate around him way too easy.

Kuleshove is better than the start of the season,but thats only because he had no other way to go but up. To often he gets caught going for a hit against the boards and the guy skates right past him with a break away to the goal.His passing is a joke also. I hope hes not back next year.

Jack Kumzyk is still too new to the team to have an opinion on. Seems decent but still too early to tell.

I wish Felkner had been healthy for awhile now. I would have liked to see him grow more this season.
Travis Wood is a wild card. Hes been very physical for a small guy,puts alot bigger guys on the ice. He has good speed and a good slap shot.He started this season playing forward under Ftorek,but the last couple games has played defense.I hope he stays on defense now.

I like our new coach and see no reason to go looking for another one in the off season. I think with everyone other than JP Labardo coming back next season this team should be pretty good. And it will only help with all of them playing under the system again next season.

McDavid will be in the playoffs his next two seasons so no worries.
Marchese didn't want to play in Erie from the start,and you could see it every shift he played.

Last edited by Otters Fan: 01-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I watched the Erie vs Kitchener game last night. Erie relies on Pelech when the back end is getting forechecked like crazy. Without Pelech alot of there Dmen struggly to win battles down low and get the puck out. Last night, Erie showed again that the Dmen leaving there own zone struggle quite a bit and turn the puck over making that first pass. Kuleshov really struggled last night. Donnay also struggled making a tape to tape pass leaving his zone. They were attempting long cross ice passes that ended up in turnovers and scoring chances. Id imagine Erie selects a top end Dmen in the 2013 draft. Maybe Werenski wants to stay south of the border and go here, Matt Spencer would be another excellent fit here. Erie having MCdavid surely helps bringing other top end picks to come to Erie. I wonder if Erie considers finding Mcdavid a winger to play with for years to come. Luke Kirwan's game also suits this team in a big way.
So what Dmen do you think would report to Erie? I think we aren't as bad a place to play as people say we are. I think we have a chance to be really good the next two season with adding two good defensemen.
Is Werenski the top Defensemen in the draft?

Old
01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
So what Dmen do you think would report to Erie? I think we aren't as bad a place to play as people say we are. I think we have a chance to be really good the next two season with adding two good defensemen.
Is Werenski the top Defensemen in the draft?
Yes he is. Matthew Spencer is #2, it would be massive for Erie to get one of those guys. The second round will also be another opportunity for the scouts to help this team. Lots of options with that second rounder whether it is a pretty good skilled forward/defenseman or a big physical forward, watever they want. There are some energy/grind guys in this draft that have OHL size already that would help the forecheck immediately, dig pucks out for Mcdavid. I see this draft thinning out mid 4th round. Good opportunity to really help this team early on.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Yes he is. Matthew Spencer is #2, it would be massive for Erie to get one of those guys. The second round will also be another opportunity for the scouts to help this team. Lots of options with that second rounder whether it is a pretty good skilled forward/defenseman or a big physical forward, watever they want. There are some energy/grind guys in this draft that have OHL size already that would help the forecheck immediately, dig pucks out for Mcdavid. I see this draft thinning out mid 4th round. Good opportunity to really help this team early on.
I agree with Otters fan above, if the team gets an upgrade defensively then I think everything will begin to turn around. The playoffs seems to pretty much be unreachable at this point being down 15 pts to Saginaw with 19 games left. I hope Erie can land either Spencer or Werenski and they sound like they have the ability to step in and make a big impact right away. Mapleleaf who would you say in your opinion would be the best offensively talented player that will be available in the first few picks of the 2nd round?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
I Erie is pretty much done with having a shot at the playoffs this season. This team still has major problems getting the puck out of its own end.
Other than Pelech-Abraham-McDowell our defense is a joke.
Donnay makes way to many bad passes for a guy thats been in the Ohl a couple of seasons. He's also not physical at all and guys skate around him way too easy.

Kuleshove is better than the start of the season,but thats only because he had no other way to go but up. To often he gets caught going for a hit against the boards and the guy skates right past him with a break away to the goal.His passing is a joke also. I hope hes not back next year.

Jack Kumzyk is still too new to the team to have an opinion on. Seems decent but still too early to tell.

I wish Felkner had been healthy for awhile now. I would have liked to see him grow more this season.
Travis Wood is a wild card. Hes been very physical for a small guy,puts alot bigger guys on the ice. He has good speed and a good slap shot.He started this season playing forward under Ftorek,but the last couple games has played defense.I hope he stays on defense now.

I like our new coach and see no reason to go looking for another one in the off season. I think with everyone other than JP Labardo coming back next season this team should be pretty good. And it will only help with all of them playing under the system again next season.

McDavid will be in the playoffs his next two seasons so no worries.
Marchese didn't want to play in Erie from the start,and you could see it every shift he played.
I have heard Bassin will be bringing in a European defenseman this coming draft to replace Kuleshov, possibly Oscar Dansk can persuade a steady Swedish defenseman to come over seas. I think this team should hold on to Abraham, Pelech, McDowell. Pelech is an all round good defenseman I am a huge fan offensive, defensive he does it all and this teams most important player, McDowell is the offensive big shot blue liner that everyone needs (HUGE FAN), and Abraham has developed into a pretty good two way defenseman. All the ice he has been getting will pay off next year when he plays 3rd or 4th defenseman minutes opposed to 1 and 2 if they bring in the reinforcements) has the makings of a Brett Flemming from missy a couple years back (A little rough around the edges still)

Harper needs to go, i dont think he likes being in McDavids shadow. He seems to be concerned about getting points but considering he wont be a point producer in the NHL he needs to play a hardnosed two way game. I think his stalk will continue to go down.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I think we might have two 2nd round picks this season. Any clue of a spot that has the current picks for teams?
Thanks for the reply

Old
01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
I have heard Bassin will be bringing in a European defenseman this coming draft to replace Kuleshov, possibly Oscar Dansk can persuade a steady Swedish defenseman to come over seas. I think this team should hold on to Abraham, Pelech, McDowell. Pelech is an all round good defenseman I am a huge fan offensive, defensive he does it all and this teams most important player, McDowell is the offensive big shot blue liner that everyone needs (HUGE FAN), and Abraham has developed into a pretty good two way defenseman. All the ice he has been getting will pay off next year when he plays 3rd or 4th defenseman minutes opposed to 1 and 2 if they bring in the reinforcements) has the makings of a Brett Flemming from missy a couple years back (A little rough around the edges still)

Harper needs to go, i dont think he likes being in McDavids shadow. He seems to be concerned about getting points but considering he wont be a point producer in the NHL he needs to play a hardnosed two way game. I think his stalk will continue to go down.
Well i hope you heard correct on that.
I agree Harper hasn't had the year everyone expected he would. I don't think it has anything to do with McDavid. He needs to play a more physical game,and the nights he does he plays way better than when he just skates around going though the motions. I also read an article today saying he has been sick for a few weeks and is just now starting to feel better.
I think its way too early to get rid of him though
Guess we will see

Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with Otters fan above, if the team gets an upgrade defensively then I think everything will begin to turn around. The playoffs seems to pretty much be unreachable at this point being down 15 pts to Saginaw with 19 games left. I hope Erie can land either Spencer or Werenski and they sound like they have the ability to step in and make a big impact right away. Mapleleaf who would you say in your opinion would be the best offensively talented player that will be available in the first few picks of the 2nd round?
One thing that Erie needs in my opinion is a big physical winger in the mold of Jaden Lindo, a guy that makes the other team work and battle along the boards to get the puck out, a tough guy that insulates Brown and MCdavid. Saying that Id look at Noah Bushnell on the Sun County Panthers. This kid is tough and has OHL size at 6-2 200, yet skates well, fights, hits hard, has limited offensive upside. Mike Baird 6-2 180 (southern Tier) is another guy who hits anything that moves, OHL skating with impressive top speed, hits hard, fights, hasnt filled out as much as Bushnell, limited offensive upside. These are 2 of my favourite energy grind guys who can play that role in the Top 9 right away. Skilled guys play alot better in my opinion when they have one of these guys on there line. They can also give the skilled guys peace of mind because they have a very supportive tough guy looking after them.

Based more on skill or more offensive upside, Id look at:

Hayden McCool 6-3 185 (If he is there, Id take this guy)
Aaron Luchuk 5-10 170
Austin Gerhart 6-1 180

There are 3 guys on London Knights Gold and Im sure at least one will be there in the second round when Erie picks. Ethan Szypula(5-10 160 dynamic forward, may or may not be there), Colton White (Dman, excellent feet, 6-1 180, battles), Vande Sompel (5-10 175 plays both offense and defense, has excellent explosive feet, creates offense).

Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
ottergolfer

According to reports the Otters have enlisted the services Of Gary Roberts for team strength and fitness help.

Also they were using the power edge pro systems with Joe Quinn filming. According to their web site(power edge pro ) Conner mc David has been using this product since he was 11. Daniel Catenacci also has some video on the site.

hope these steps help , the Otters need to get stronger and more physical to succeed.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Otters Fan

Bobby Orr will be at the game this friday. He represents a couple of the Otters with McDavid being the big one.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
KnightSpit

Bobby Orr in Erie ?

Quote:
Bobby Orr will be at the game this friday. He represents a couple of the Otters with McDavid being the big one.
Well Otters fan, if that is the case hopefully he will suit up as one of the two top D, not that he could do any worse, even at his age. On a more serious note, havenīt you guys had the exact same D coach like for the last 10 years if not centuary ? Maybe that is part of your problem.

Anyhow good luck, hopefully ORR gets some time on both the PP and PK, will he be wearing # 4 ?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Well Otters fan, if that is the case hopefully he will suit up as one of the two top D, not that he could do any worse, even at his age. On a more serious note, havenīt you guys had the exact same D coach like for the last 10 years if not centuary ? Maybe that is part of your problem.

Anyhow good luck, hopefully ORR gets some time on both the PP and PK, will he be wearing # 4 ?
You are exactly right about the assistant coach Peter Sidorkiewicz. It is absolutely mind boggling to think he is still around. The team has been bad defensively for the last 10 years and in those last 10 years we have seen three different head coaches but unfortunately Bassin is loyal to him and will not let him go. A few players from 2-3 years ago talked about how Sidorkiewicz does not really know what he is talking about and how they didn't listen to him. That seems like a big problem if you ask me, he is also a former NHL goalie and he spends time coaching them as well . For example making Festarini play a stand-up style as opposed to butterfly??? I for one was not surprised to see Festarini succeed in Niagara after being terrible here.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
You are exactly right about the assistant coach Peter Sidorkiewicz. It is absolutely mind boggling to think he is still around. The team has been bad defensively for the last 10 years and in those last 10 years we have seen three different head coaches but unfortunately Bassin is loyal to him and will not let him go. A few players from 2-3 years ago talked about how Sidorkiewicz does not really know what he is talking about and how they didn't listen to him. That seems like a big problem if you ask me, he is also a former NHL goalie and he spends time coaching them as well . For example making Festarini play a stand-up style as opposed to butterfly??? I for one was not surprised to see Festarini succeed in Niagara after being terrible here.
Kitchener fans will gladly trade our asst coach Paul Fixter and (3) 2nd round picks for Peter Sidorkiewicz.

and yes....he's that useless!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Otters Fan

Bassin has known Sid since he drafted him and is very loyal to him. Not saying its right but i dont see him leaving any time soon.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Bassin has known Sid since he drafted him and is very loyal to him. Not saying its right but i dont see him leaving any time soon.
I believe his contract is up at the end of this year.
we will see if he gets a new one. I for one hope not .

Old
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
KnightSpit

Erie D And Other Things

Quote:
Did not know that Otterīs Fan. Not the right quality to hav eion this day and age if you want a winner. George steinbrenner, was one of the most loyal onwers around but he new when to fire someone, for the sake of the team and that is one of the reasons the Yankees had all those rings. If it was any other OHL city, your team would have probably been out of business long ago. What a testimony to the LOYAL fan base in Erie, that is true loyalty, I mean you guys are the best.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Sad state of affairs, Bassin more loyal to a coach than his own players or fans!

Old
02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Sad state of affairs, Bassin more loyal to a coach than his own players or fans!
It really is, like what Knightspit said if this was any other OHL city I am not so sure the team would still be here. I can understand loyalty to a long time friend but enough is enough. He did not have a problem firing Ftorek in a season dedicated to his daughter so what's the problem with getting rid of Sidorkiewicz? It is clear that Bassin just no longer has it in him to build championship teams like he did in the past. He could be compared to Brett Farve or any other athlete that held on to long, its time to step down Bassin. He will be remembered as a GM that has brought season after season of losing and unfortunately not the five championships and great seasons he was a part of.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Otters Fan

I agree with everything everyone has said so far about Sid. If he is in charge of defense,then he has to go. Maybe Bassin will change it up at seasons end. If not then it won't matter much what we do in the draft or in the off season.

Owell i guess the bright spot is we are only one win ahead of the 67's for the #1 pick

Old
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
KnightSpit

Otters What Has Changed ?

Quote:
It really is, like what Knightspit said if this was any other OHL city I am not so sure the team would still be here. I can understand loyalty to a long time friend but enough is enough. He did not have a problem firing Ftorek in a season dedicated to his daughter so what's the problem with getting rid of Sidorkiewicz? It is clear that Bassin just no longer has it in him to build championship teams like he did in the past. He could be compared to Brett Farve or any other athlete that held on to long, its time to step down Bassin. He will be remembered as a GM that has brought season after season of losing and unfortunately not the five championships and great seasons he was a part of.
OHL Fan, last night the 6th loss in a row and apparently you ugys have the second worst record in the OHL right now, which begs the question, what if anything has changed? (NOTHING) Not to be too sentimental, but I mean it, you truly have the best fans in the leauge, hands down as they still sho up in big numbers to watch this stuff. Maybe time to seel the team, how much do you think Bassin wants, I say 7 Million cash and he would give you the keys tomorrow. With the Spits having a gutsy win the other night and a great performance by Dekort, Eire will get out the golf clubs. You guys deserve so much more

Closed Thread